PDA

View Full Version : If Steelers thrive w/o Ben, Byron may not be ready to step aside

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
If Steelers thrive without Ben, Byron may not be ready to step aside

Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2010

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/06/leftwich_AP081019034883.widec-thumb-250x384-12817.jpg

One of the points we've been making from time to time of late -- and which appears prominently in our season preview magazine -- arises from the mess that the Steelers are facing in Pittsburgh.

If they do well without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, what will coach Mike Tomlin do once Ben returns?

Though Tomlin is keeping his cards sutured to his chest, the guy who seems to be in line to replace Roethlisberger had a chance today to declare an intention to step aside.

Appearing with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of Sirius NFL Radio's The Sirius Blitz, Byron Leftwich faced this question: "You're the quarterback for the Steelers. Pittsburgh goes 3-1 or 4-0. Does Ben automatically get the job back [when he returns from suspension]?"

It's a simple question, and the right answer likely is "yes," or some variation thereof.

Leftwich didn't say "yes." Or any variation thereof.

"I don't know," Leftwich said. "That's not a decision for me but that's a good problem to have. It's a good problem to have and I'm quite sure he'll say the same thing. You want to go out there and, every chance you get, get a chance to win football games because we're all in it for one thing. We're all trying to win football games and hopefully you can win a championship.

"So if that's everybody's mindset and that's everybody's plan I don't really see that as an awkward situation. I see that as a situation that's good for the Pittsburgh Steelers and if it happens that way they'll handle it the way they have to handle it. But it's not something that you really think about. Man, it's too hard in this league to be hypothetical, you know? We've still got a long way to go and we'll see what happens."

Yep, it's potentially going to get ugly if the Steelers thrive without Roethlisberger.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/02/if-steelers-thrive-without-ben-byron-may-not-be-ready-to-step-aside/

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Well it's too bad Ben gets the $100 Million dollar contract and Byron was worth a 7th round pick sorry to say, but the Franchise QB comes back whether Lefty likes it or not.

Nadroj 20
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I dont care if Left plays the best 4 games of his life......Ben is our QB so end of discussion.

vindrow
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I see Florio hes been in the happy juice again.

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I see Florio hes been in the happy juice again.

As usual.

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Florio is reaching again. Whenever a player on the Steelers is asked a hypothetical question, it seems that they always say "It's the coach's decision"....and that is the way it should be.

I would imagine that Ben would be the QB...but to be honest...all I care about is the Wins.

The Duke
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
The title seemed like something that's been repeated a lot already. Then I read Florio's name. Enough to not read it

Can we make it a rule on this new board not to post Florio's BS? Nothing against you hawaiiansteeler, I just hate Florio

stillers4me
06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
More Florio spin.

Hindes204
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Florio = jackass

it doesn't matter if we go 4-0, and things are going great, Ben is gonna start...no doubt about it

siss
06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
We aren't gunna go 4-0 to start with the season. With or without our franchise, pro bowl, 2x super bowl winning, all world, once in a generation QB. I think we will go 2-2.

zulater
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
The title seemed like something that's been repeated a lot already. Then I read Florio's name. Enough to not read it

Can we make it a rule on this new board not to post Florio's BS? Nothing against you hawaiiansteeler, I just hate Florio

ditto that.

SteelGhost
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM

I think it will be nice to put the name of the writer, then the name of the article, for example :

Florio says : If Steelers thrive w/o Ben, Byron may not be ready to step aside

Just an idea

Prok
06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
HATE Florio as well. But I hope Byron DOES have the attitude that he can start. It'll make us better IMO.

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I think it will be nice to put the name of the writer, then the name of the article, for example :

Florio says : If Steelers thrive w/o Ben, Byron may not be ready to step aside

Just an idea

I like it. Makes it easy to skip right by it or read it for entertainment purposes only.

HometownGal
06-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Florio is reaching again. Whenever a player on the Steelers is asked a hypothetical question, it seems that they always say "It's the coach's decision"....and that is the way it should be.

I would imagine that Ben would be the QB...but to be honest...all I care about is the Wins.

This is where I'm at. Whichever QB gives us the best opportunity to win is the QB of choice for me.

TroysBarber
06-03-2010, 05:54 AM
If we lose Troy for 4 games due to a preseason injury, and the Steelers go 4-0 with Carter playing SS, does Troy lose his starting job once he's healthy? Or Perhaps Fox takes Silverback's or Woodley's starting spot if we go 4-0 with Fox subbing for 1 of the starters?

Kaeg
06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Seemed like a diplomatic answer to me. I think Florio is making something out of nothing. (Or trying.)

Animal Mother
06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
If we go 4-0, I think it will be unlikely just to be all Byron and more likely to have significant contributions from the defense and running game. I don't see Byron making a huge case during the first four games to remain the starter.

Animal Mother
06-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Seemed like a diplomatic answer to me. I think Florio is making something out of nothing. (Or trying.)

Just like every other article he writes about the steelers.

venom
06-03-2010, 07:30 AM
What a conundrum it would be if Byron goes 4-0 .

Killer
06-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Florio is a complete hack...anybody that reads his crap knows PFT = TMZ.

If you believe anything he says, you're an idiot too. He had Ben arrested and convicted in every one of his thousand hit "articles" on him.

SteelGhost
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I like it. Makes it easy to skip right by it or read it for entertainment purposes only.

Hey X, I suggested that in the "old" board, but nobody "listened" :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
If the team goes 4-0 it might make for a good argument for Lefty to go start ON ANOTHER TEAM... Ben would have to do something stupid between now and the end of his suspension OR come back onto the field and throw something like 8-12 pics in his first 4 games back before we "seriously" begin talking about starting lefty...

steeldevil
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
This isnt even an argument. Big Ben is THE quarterback of the Steelers as long as he is on the roster. Someone else will just be playing for 4 weeks in his stead

Prok
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
This isnt even an argument. Big Ben is THE quarterback of the Steelers as long as he is on the roster. Someone else will just be playing for 4 weeks in his stead

I agree with this. But i like that Lefty has a starters mentality too. Every player on the team should aspire to start.

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Pretty much agree with most of the people. I don't care what "Lefty" is "ready to do" He's going to sit down on his arse when Ben is ready.

Ben is the Playoff Winning, Super Bowl Winning QB of this team. He wasn't drafted to win in the Regular Season, he was drafted, and is paid to win in the POST SEASON.

Bottom effing line.

steelpride12
06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Pretty much agree with most of the people. I don't care what "Lefty" is "ready to do" He's going to sit down on his arse when Ben is ready.

Ben is the Playoff Winning, Super Bowl Winning QB of this team. He wasn't drafted to win in the Regular Season, he was drafted, and is paid to win in the POST SEASON.

Bottom effing line.
Amen. He is the Steelers starting QB, has won the championships and a proven winner. He is the one who get's the $100 million so he will be our starter the game he returns.

BigNastyDefense
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Ben has won two Super Bowls as a starter.

Lefty has won one as a backup.

Whether it's four games or six games, when Ben Roethlisberger's suspension is over, he will be the Steelers starting quarterback.

Anyhow, if we go 4-0 or 3-1 in this span, it's going to be more because of the running game and the defense than it will be the play of Lefty. No offense to Lefty, but he isn't a starting QB anymore....he is a backup who is good for a few games a year.

Craic
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
The long term plans of this team is Ben R. as QB. There are no QB controversies with another QB that is 2 years older than him, not as accomplished as him, and not as suited to play behind a porous line as Ben is.

Does Ben come back the instant the suspension is over? It just depends on how rusty Ben is in practice that week. Depending on who we play, maybe Lefty plays the first game after the suspension, and then Ben picks up at the second game.

That scenario however, is about as far as I see a 4-0 Lefty going.

What are my feelings about Lefty? I think Left needs to quickly become our permanent number 2 backup. Ben gets hurt too much. Lefty is going to probably be the best backup in the NFL.

BuddhaBus
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM

I agree with this whole statement. What else was he going to say? Seems like a pretty standard, benign response. No controversy here.

See, BF, I'm not such a bad guy!:thumbsup:

Prok
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Bottom effing line.
Amen brother. Florio = a-hole IMO.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm guessing Ben will be back as soon as the suspension is over. However what if he has a stretch like last season and we lose a bunch of games in a row? Ill take the winning QB over the highest paid QB everytime, and I betcha Tomlin will too.

Florio is still an A hole

86WARD
06-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Well it's too bad Ben gets the $100 Million dollar contract and Byron was worth a 7th round pick sorry to say, but the Franchise QB comes back whether Lefty likes it or not.

QFT. Sorry Byron.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm guessing Ben will be back as soon as the suspension is over. However what if he has a stretch like last season and we lose a bunch of games in a row? Ill take the winning QB over the highest paid QB everytime, and I betcha Tomlin will too.

Florio simply loves to sensationalize everything, just trying to create as much drama and generate as many page hits as he can...

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Report: "Obvious" Leftwich will start Week One

Posted by Evan Silva on June 4, 2010

Somewhat buried at the end of a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette column on suspended Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a straightforward prediction that Byron Leftwich will replace Roethlisberger during his 4-6 game ban.

The Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette writes that "it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback."

Leftwich has the edge on competitor Dennis Dixon in terms of experience and arm strength. Byron also took virtually all of the first-team OTA reps prior to Big Ben's reinstatement to offseason workouts.

It's still very surprising that Dixon wasn't given a fair shake. The Pittsburgh offensive line is not known for potent pass protection, and Dixon's superior mobility would seemingly make him a better bet behind the slow-footed front five. Leftwich has perhaps the slowest delivery of any quarterback in the league.

Dixon also didn't embarrass himself in his Week 12 spot start last season, with Roethlisberger nursing a concussion. Facing almost impossible odds at Baltimore, Dixon accounted for both of Pittsburgh's touchdowns (one rushing, one passing) in the 20-17 loss.

Coach Mike Tomlin has opted for a conservative approach. Considering Leftwich's injury history, though, Dixon remains a good bet to see early-season playing time prior to Roethlisberger's return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/04/report-obvious-leftwich-will-start-week-one/

BigNastyDefense
06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

However, we didn't lose those games because of Ben....we lost those games because our defense couldn't hold fourth quarter leads.

Steely McSmash
06-04-2010, 08:15 PM
However, we didn't lose those games because of Ben....we lost those games because our defense couldn't hold fourth quarter leads.

The offense could have sustained some 4th quarter drives, converted in the red zone. Water under the bridge but a good all over team collapse.

I think the article is pretty simple. Just the title is misleading. Here's my summary of the article.

Florio: What if you go 4-0, then are you gonna be the starter?!?!??!

Leftwich: That's a pretty stupid question and you asked the wrong person anyway.

Should be re-titled: Florio asks Leftwich a stupid question.

My guess is that Ben would start because he's the better player. I don't think anyone cares how much of your total salary is on the field starting. That kind of thinking is fine for offseason capology but on game day you go with the best chance to win. You better believe Tomlin is going to play this out until the start of that game when Ben is back so the opponent has to prep for 2 guys.

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
The offense could have sustained some 4th quarter drives, converted in the red zone. Water under the bridge but a good all over team collapse.

I think the article is pretty simple. Just the title is misleading. Here's my summary of the article.

Florio: What if you go 4-0, then are you gonna be the starter?!?!??!

Leftwich: That's a pretty stupid question and you asked the wrong person anyway.

Should be re-titled: Florio asks Leftwich a stupid question.

My guess is that Ben would start because he's the better player. I don't think anyone cares how much of your total salary is on the field starting. That kind of thinking is fine for offseason capology but on game day you go with the best chance to win. You better believe Tomlin is going to play this out until the start of that game when Ben is back so the opponent has to prep for 2 guys.

Ben is our QB, he will start again once his suspension is up.

however, it makes no sense for Tomlin to come out and say that...let Ben keep working hard to regain his job and keep Lefty motivated to play well in order to try to retain the starting QB job.

Steelerfreak58
06-05-2010, 02:55 PM
What happens if Lefty goes 4-0 and Ben comes out and flops 2 or 3 games? I am betting some fuckers around here would be screaming their heads off. The Rooney's would love to see Lefty or Dix go 4-0 it would give Ben more to think about next time he decides he needs to fuck a college skank in some bathroom.

tyler289
06-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Ben is our franchise QB and gives us the best chance to win every weekend. Period.

I hope Byron goes 4-0 or whatever and plays well because it makes me feel better if/when Ben takes another hard hit.

Stlrs4Life
06-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Profootballtalk should be banned from all web sites.

SteelerFanInStl
06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I dont care if Left plays the best 4 games of his life......Ben is our QB so end of discussion.

Exactly. There sure seems to be a lot of garbage articles out there right now concerning the Steelers.

kendawg
06-06-2010, 01:54 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sorry I fell asleep reading this article ... was there anything in it that wasn't complete BS/speculation/fishing for a make-believe story?

I don't even think Lefty will play all four games entirely w/o being replaced.

If we lose to Atlanta, and then come out flat the next game. HA, you better believe Dixon will get his chance to start.

Hell, if we are losing by more than a touchdown heading into the 4th quarter of the ATL game (with the game more or less out-of-reach), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see double D's in there on Week 1.

stillers4me
06-06-2010, 11:10 AM
If there can be one bright spot to all of this....It's that Ben will have 4 less weeks of wear and tear on his body by the post season (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/th_crossfingers.gif?t=1275840328 ). Even though he will not be with the team for a minimum of 4 weeks, I'm sure he will be working out, and some type of plan in motion to get him up to snuff as quickly as possible. Hopefully, Goodell will drop the last 2 weeks of the suspension, allowing him to work with the team for the full two weeks of the bye and his body will be fresh and uninjured. Ben is still Ben......it's not like he doesn't know the playbook.

steelpride12
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
If there can be one bright spot to all of this....It's that Ben will have 4 less weeks of wear and tear on his body by the post season (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/th_crossfingers.gif?t=1275840328 ). Even though he will not be with the team for a minimum of 4 weeks, I'm sure he will be working out, and some type of plan in motion to get him up to snuff as quickly as possible. Hopefully, Goodell will drop the last 2 weeks of the suspension, allowing him to work with the team for the full two weeks of the bye and his body will be fresh and uninjured. Ben is still Ben......it's not like he doesn't know the playbook.
Yupp if we can go 3 and 1 or even 2 and 2 with a fully healthy and even motivated Big Ben I think this works for the Steelers advantage for sure.

43Hitman
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Yep. Ben came to OTA's in real good shape and appears to be focused on moving on.