PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

stillers4me
10-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Posted on October 6, 2010 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/steelers-slowly-mike-tomlins-team/) by adam (http://www.steelerslounge.com/author/adam/)

At some point over the past four seasons, perhaps after Super Bowl XLIII, you’ve heard somebody, somewhere, say of Mike Tomlin … “Well, he’s only winning because he has Bill Cowher’s players.”

Or something along those lines.

It’s the same thing Jon Gruden went through in Tampa Bay after he took “Tony Dungy’s team” to a level Dungy never approached — the Super Bowl. To this day that Buccaneers team (which included Tomlin on its coaching staff, by the way) is still referred to as “Tony Dungy’s team.” I’ve always hated this logic. For one, it’s not exactly easy to take over a locker room full of established NFL veterans and the ego’s they carry and win them over with a new way of doing things, and then getting them to go out and win a Super Bowl. Especially when the new coach was able to do it after the previous coach (in this case, Dungy) failed year after year.

Tomlin, of course, endured a similar thing in Pittsburgh because he was taking over a team with a cupboard full of talent, and following in the footsteps of a future Hall of Fame head coach that had won a Super Bowl just two years earlier. But it’s important to keep in mind that the team Tomlin took over for wasn’t a Super Bowl champion, but a team that went 8-8 and missed the playoffs................

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/steelers-slowly-mike-tomlins-team/#more-2230

BPS3akaWirels3
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I think most people would say 5 years is good enough time to say they are Tomlin's boys. I credit SB 43 to Cowher's ways... Don't get me wrong, I think Tomlin is awesome and so want him to get another 2-3 SB wins..

Galax Steeler
10-07-2010, 03:24 AM
I agree that Tomlin is starting to find alot of talent on this team but the way I see it Tomlin was coaching when they won the superbowl so I have to give him credit for it.

SirHulka
10-07-2010, 04:57 AM
And I couldn't be happier.

Canadian Steeler Nation
10-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Cowher is still the guy that drafted 90% of the impact players on the team. I like Tomlin but, its far from being his team at this point imo.

X-Terminator
10-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Cowher is still the guy that drafted 90% of the impact players on the team. I like Tomlin but, its far from being his team at this point imo.

Are you sure about that?

Cowher picks - Roethlisberger, Ward, Polamalu, Hampton, A. Smith, Taylor
Tomlin picks - Timmons, Woodley, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Wallace

Farrior was drafted by the Jets; Cowher drafted Harrison but Tomlin gave him the chance to play after he was cut twice.

SirHulka
10-07-2010, 07:30 AM
How many of Tomlin's picks were there when they won the titles?

The Duke
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM

11 iirc. A couple on IR

And then there's mewelde moore who was a HUGE part of our run game that season

X-Terminator
10-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Yeah yeah, I know Tomlin won 43 with mostly Cowher's team. Of the impact players, only Timmons, Woodley and Mendenhall (IR) were on that team. Daniel Sepulveda was on that team as well, but was on IR...and he's turned into one of the best punters in the league. And as I said, he was the one who gave James Harrison a prominent role even though he was drafted and cut twice by Cowher. That's what happens when, at the time, you are in your 2nd year as HC. It takes time for a coach to put his stamp on the team, usually 4-5 years. Tomlin is in year 4, and just as the story points out, it is becoming his team.

SirHulka
10-07-2010, 08:05 AM
And for that, I'm extremely thankful.

tube517
10-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Harrison wasn't drafted, he was an unrestricted free agent. Cut 3 times by Pittsburgh and once by Baltimore. Cowher picked him back up in 2004.

Are you sure about that?

Farrior was drafted by the Jets; Cowher drafted Harrison but Tomlin gave him the chance to play after he was cut twice.

polamalubeast
10-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I prefer a guy like Tomlin, who did not have a big ego and that not all trade the best players that Cowher had, as Josh McDaniels has made Denver in trade the best players that Mike Shanahan had.

With Tomlin, it was necessary that we continue to have stability, they still had a lot of good player ...... I would not like that Mike Tomlin has done much to change the team as Josh McDaniels has Denver has made..

BPS3akaWirels3
10-07-2010, 08:48 AM
And for that, I'm extremely thankful.

I've said it and I'll say it again... He's a Brown's fan... lol

Steeldude
10-07-2010, 10:06 AM
IMO, i see a lack of discipline and/or focus in tomlin's team.

X-Terminator
10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Harrison wasn't drafted, he was an unrestricted free agent. Cut 3 times by Pittsburgh and once by Baltimore. Cowher picked him back up in 2004.

Thanks for the correction.

solardave
10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
It's Tomlin's team now and has been for 2 years at least. As far as Gruden taking over Dungy's team I agree he did. If Tony wasn't fired I bet they could have gone back to back. What did Gruden do after they won? Lost the locker room. Tony Dungy went on to build the Colts and look at their record while he was there. Tomlin will probably end up more successful than Cowher.

SMR
10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a feeling that Tomlin will end up winning more Super Bowls with the Steelers than did Cowher. :dance::dance::dance:

JayC
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
tomlin's my favorite coach in the league, i'm glad he's all ours. just hope we dont have any of those multiple bad seasons in a row anytime soon where people start to stupidly want him out of here.

ALLD
10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
It became MT's team when they went to battle without a starting QB for the first four games and won three. The emergence of Timmons also supplements it.

Count Steeler
10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Kudos to Tomlin for coming in and taking the coaching job away from the leading contender at the time. He made an impression on the Steelers head office, and now he is making an impression on the league. I'm pretty sure he will win at least one more Lombardi for this organization, even with Arians as OC.

stillers4me
10-07-2010, 05:37 PM
There are at least 29 or 30 teams in this league that would drop their HC in a New York minute if Tomlin became available.

steeldawg
10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Its tomlins' team for sure. If Tonlin has to take the blame if the team doesnt perform then he should get the credit when they do perform. If the steelers were a disaster so far this year nobody would be blaming cowher for it.

BuddhaBus
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
And I couldn't be happier.

I've got one word for you... Mangenius. That... is... all. :tongue1:

SirHulka
10-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I've got one word for you... Mangenius. That... is... all. :tongue1:
WRONG!!! It's the Mangenie.

(I hope Gruden has his bags ready)

ALLD
10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
WRONG!!! It's the Mangenie.

(I hope Gruden has his bags ready)

"Mangina" continues to bleed the Browns.

Canadian Steeler Nation
10-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Are you sure about that?

Did you really put a rookie center and a 2nd year WR in the same list with Troy, Snack and Smith. I know they are emerging but they just arent in the same class. I understand trying to make a point but thats a bit of a reach. In a few years it will be Tomlins team, with those players but, Tomlin is still driving the car that Bill Cowher bought.

X-Terminator
10-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Did you really put a rookie center and a 2nd year WR in the same list with Troy, Snack and Smith. I know they are emerging but they just arent in the same class. I understand trying to make a point but thats a bit of a reach. In a few years it will be Tomlins team, with those players but, Tomlin is still driving the car that Bill Cowher bought.

You're telling me Wallace and Pouncey aren't impact players? Wallace has made numerous big plays the past season-plus. Pouncey is starting at center in his rookie season, and doing a damn good job at that. No, they aren't on the level of Troy, Snack, etc. yet, but they are still impact players despite being young.

I think it is doing Tomlin a huge disservice to discount his success just because he inherited great players. As if he had a choice in the matter. You can inherit players and still put your stamp on the team. Look at the Penguins - most of the core players that won the Cup in 2009 were drafted by Craig Patrick. Ray Shero came in, drafted and added some more pieces to the puzzle and turned them into a winner. Nobody can deny he has put his stamp on that team. The same can be said for Tomlin.

Canadian Steeler Nation
10-12-2010, 06:41 AM
You're telling me Wallace and Pouncey aren't impact players? Wallace has made numerous big plays the past season-plus. Pouncey is starting at center in his rookie season, and doing a damn good job at that. No, they aren't on the level of Troy, Snack, etc. yet, but they are still impact players despite being young.

I think it is doing Tomlin a huge disservice to discount his success just because he inherited great players. As if he had a choice in the matter. You can inherit players and still put your stamp on the team. Look at the Penguins - most of the core players that won the Cup in 2009 were drafted by Craig Patrick. Ray Shero came in, drafted and added some more pieces to the puzzle and turned them into a winner. Nobody can deny he has put his stamp on that team. The same can be said for Tomlin.

What I am telling you is that they are fine players and that Mike Tomlin is a fine coach. However, Bill Cowher drafted players are still the heart of this team, that will change soon, but not yet. Wallace and Pouncey will have their day I'm sure.

SirHulka
10-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Give me a break. Pouncey MAY be an impact player, but let's not put him in the HOF after FOUR GAMES!!