PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Sha'Carri Richardson's marijuana ban is another example of Olympic hypocrisy

willy
07-02-2021, 04:42 PM
Moderators, my apologies, move it wherever you think it should be.

Opinion: Sha'Carri Richardson's marijuana ban is another example of Olympic hypocrisy

2:12 PM EDT Jul. 2, 2021
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/indepth-static-assets/uploads/master/7840888002/275e02b5-d069-47f0-aae2-6bac6a5a0bdc-usatsi_16282226.jpg?width=2160
Adding counter-culture sports isn’t enough to make the three-piece-suit-wearing, five-star-hotel-staying, mostly-white-male Olympic officials hip, cool or remotely in tune with current norms.
Just how removed from reality they are was brought into sharp focus – again – on Friday, when U.S. sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson accepted a one-month “doping” suspension (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/02/shacarri-richardson-fails-drug-test-could-miss-tokyo-olympics/7836303002/)that will keep her out of the 100 meters at the Tokyo Olympics. The big, bad drug that Richardson got busted for? Marijuana.
That’s right. Pot.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sp...sy/7840888002/ (https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2021/07/02/shacarri-richardson-marijuana-ban-example-olympic-hypocrisy/7840888002/)

What a damn shame.

86WARD
07-03-2021, 11:19 AM
If it’s against the rules…just don’t do it. It’s not a hard concept.

Fire Goodell
07-03-2021, 03:08 PM
I don't see what the big deal is, it's not a performance enhancer. Free country, right?

Born2Steel
07-04-2021, 12:03 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, it's not a performance enhancer. Free country, right?

No. The olympics are in Japan. Japan has zero tolerance for banned drugs. If you take Adderall you can't bring it into Japan. Olympic athlete or not. If Japanese law bans marijuana, then the same applies. Rules are the same for every athlete regardless of which country they are there to represent. It's a privilege, not a right.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-04-2021, 12:16 PM

I agree. I dont know of anybody that smoked weed and got bigger, faster, stronger, or more motivated to train. But its on the IOC banned list, so its a violation and she knows it.

She said that she smoked some to help deal with some anxiety of the recent death of her mother. I still missed the whole connection to eating vegan in the headline, but whatever.

willy
07-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I agree. I dont know of anybody that smoked weed and got bigger, faster, stronger, or more motivated to train. But its on the IOC banned list, so its a violation and she knows it.

She said that she smoked some to help deal with some anxiety of the recent death of her mother. I still missed the whole connection to eating vegan in the headline, but whatever.

There is no connection. I deleted that article and replaced it with this one. The vegan one was boring.

I haven't been able to find a way to change the thread title.

Again, moderators, I apologize for posting this in the NFL section.

Dwinsgames
07-07-2021, 02:16 PM
a joint gets ya ousted BUT you can have a penis and be in womans weight lifting ...

fucking stupid

Pot isn't a performance enhancing drug , but testosterone is

ALLD
07-08-2021, 02:44 PM
I was going to run in the Olympics
But I got high
Now I deliver packages for UPS
And I know why
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high

Fire Goodell
07-08-2021, 09:51 PM
a joint gets ya ousted BUT you can have a penis and be in womans weight lifting ...

fucking stupid

Pot isn't a performance enhancing drug , but testosterone is

I agree with that. I'm all for LGBT rights, but being born a man gives an unfair advantage in sports. Sports should first of all be about fairness, there's a reason why sports leagues separate genders and some have weight classes.

Dwinsgames
07-23-2021, 11:09 AM
I agree with that. I'm all for LGBT rights, but being born a man gives an unfair advantage in sports. Sports should first of all be about fairness, there's a reason why sports leagues separate genders and some have weight classes.

and who said there wasn't some common ground between liberals and conservatives

Fire Goodell
08-04-2021, 12:02 AM
and who said there wasn't some common ground between liberals and conservatives

The political spectrum isn't all black & white, not all 'liberals' are of the same cloth as AOC / Sanders or the Green Party lol. I lean right on a lot of issues and mostly voted Republican or 3rd party throughout my life. I leaned Republican in 2016 until Trump became the frontrunner, but that's a story for another thread.