PDA

View Full Version : Hoke, Essex hoping to return for game against Browns

LLT
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Hoke, Essex hoping to return for game against Browns
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nose tackle Chris Hoke and right guard Trai Essex are targeting Oct. 17 as their return date. Essex hasn't played since the second game of the season because of a high ankle sprain. Hoke is recovering from a sprained knee and didn't play this past Sunday. They will benefit from the bye. "I should be ready," Hoke said of the Steelers' Oct. 17 game against the Browns. "You like to have bye weeks later in the year. For me, it's come at a good time." Essex, who is planning on practicing next week, agreed. "The bye came at a perfect time if I was going to be hurt," Essex said. "I'm actually recovering faster than I thought." Doug Legursky has started the last two games at right guard and has been lauded by the coaches for his play. When asked if he will have to win his job back from Legursky, Essex said, "I'm going to come in as if I'm starting (again). I'd like to think you don't lose your starting job to injury."

Read More: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702857.html

LLT
10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Doug Legursky has started the last two games at right guard and has been lauded by the coaches for his play. When asked if he will have to win his job back from Legursky, Essex said, "I'm going to come in as if I'm starting (again). I'd like to think you don't lose your starting job to injury."

I'd like to think that Essex might want to talk to Tomlin if he thinks that he somehow "deserves" that slot. Legursky simply has outplayed Essex.

GodfatherofSoul
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I'd like to think you don't lose your starting job to injury.

You mean like Ben's career started? Enjoy the pine vacation.

tube517
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Essex might learn from Hoke in how to be a valuable backup and to know your role.

The Duke
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Essex might learn from Hoke in how to be a valuable backup and to know your role.

This

Essex is an amazing...backup

and that's not bad. But that's your role now man. Bronco has arrived

XxKnightxX
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Hahahaha Essex Cracks me up, Legursky has been a beast since he stepped up to Essex injury. Enjoy the additional time to recover because I highly doubt youll see the field.

ALLD
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
They can rotate him in on some downs or garbage time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Who dresses as backups now?? Essex and Scott?

Craic
10-07-2010, 12:43 AM
You know, the thought just struck me.

IF we can get the LT position solidified over this off-season, this line would be, well, pretty dang good (assuming that Willie C. is back next year). Not only would it be good, but with Essex and Starks as primary backups (maybe even Flozell?), it is deep too.

Galax Steeler
10-07-2010, 03:28 AM
I'd like to think that Essex might want to talk to Tomlin if he thinks that he somehow "deserves" that slot. Legursky simply has outplayed Essex.

Agreed at this point one would have to think the job will be Legursky's.

GodfatherofSoul
10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
BTW, can someone explain the logic of the "can't lose your job to injury" concept? I'm guessing it's to prevent a player from rushing back from an injury before he's ready?

Steeldude
10-07-2010, 10:21 AM
BTW, can someone explain the logic of the "can't lose your job to injury" concept? I'm guessing it's to prevent a player from rushing back from an injury before he's ready?

i think that applies more with superstars.

Chidi29
10-07-2010, 03:19 PM

It's the thought that it's unfair to the injured player if he gets booted from his job because had the injury not occured, he would have never been taken out.

Bluecoat96
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
It's the thought that it's unfair to the injured player if he gets booted from his job because had the injury not occured, he would have never been taken out.

Just imagine if that thought applied to Tommy Maddox when he was injured and Big Ben took over. Where would we be now?

SMR
10-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Essex who? It's Legursky for good!

MULLDOG24
10-07-2010, 05:59 PM
IMHO I think that Legursky has helped solidify a batterd line so Essex should feel lucky that he hasn't been cut yet. Essex isn't half the guard that Legursky is and I feel as if our interior line issues are over thanks to Pouncey and Legursky so welcome to the future Essex. I feel like you will be a good back-up though.