PDA

View Full Version : Hey Baseball Fans.. Turn MLBN on.. 3rd Perfect game coming from Tigers

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Check it out .. top of 8th and Tigers could have the 3rd perfect game this season

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow this is ridiculous to see so many attempts at a perfect game. it would be insane for 3 perfect games in a season

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow this is ridiculous to see so many attempts at a perfect game. it would be insane for 3 perfect games in a season

You watching? Tigers just brought in 2 more runs.. get this inning over so he can get back out.. HE'S OUT

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
that is complete bullshit... he was out.... i hate that ump... HE WAS OUT!! DAMNIT...

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
that is complete bullshit... he was out.... i hate that ump... HE WAS OUT!! DAMNIT...

that was one of the worst calls i've ever seen

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
If I were Jim Joyce, I'd sneak out of town incognito, or he might just find himself floating in the Detroit River. What an absolutely BRUTAL call.

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
that was one of the worst calls i've ever seen

To a pitcher that is more then winning the WS.. That can put more money in your pocket for your next re-signing with a team.. That is something you can tell everyone and be DAM proud of it..

Nadroj 20
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
That call wasnt even close! Sometimes you can say well i can kinda see what possibly made the ump call it that way..you know if it was close

He was out by a mile

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Jim admitted on-air he made a bad call and he is sick to his stomach... Can this call be reversed by the big guys??

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Jim admitted on-air he made a bad call and he is sick to his stomach... Can this call be reversed by the big guys??

Watching the highlights again it looked like Joyce was gonna call him out but changed his mind. I would be extremely surprised if anything is done considering this is Bud Selig we are talking about.

JayC
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
one of the worst calls ever in one of the most important circumstances a baseball game can have. getting the last out in any game called incorrectly is news worthy, but the last out in a perfect game. WOW, this guy will be haunted by that call until he dies.

BPS3akaWirels3
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
one of the worst calls ever in one of the most important circumstances a baseball game can have. getting the last out in any game called incorrectly is news worthy, but the last out in a perfect game. WOW, this guy will be haunted by that call until he dies.

I'm listening to the Pirate announcers online right now and they are talking to one of the Tiger announcers who is from Harrisburg, PA and he is sick.. I feel bad for the pitcher and Mr. Leyland... Any team Leyland is on I will cheer for.. I wish he was back with us..

cakmakli
06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I love baseball and all of the traditions but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't time for some kind of reviews on certain plays (besides questionable Home Runs) like in Hockey or maybe give each team 1 challenge per game.

I hate to see changes in baseball but there is no way that kid should have lost his Perfect Game like that.

SteelMember
06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
He was robbed...

but he did get a hug and an apology.

with 2 down in the 9th, It shoulda been 1 free punch in the mouth.

BPS3akaWirels3
06-03-2010, 10:31 AM
He was robbed...

but he did get a hug and an apology.

with 2 down in the 9th, It shoulda been 1 free punch in the mouth.

Word my friend, word..

BPS3akaWirels3
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
So Jim apologized and the Tigers and Chevy gave him a Vette.. I take back what I said about Jimmy.. As he took the line up card today he cried.. WOW!! A true gentleman...

cakmakli
06-03-2010, 09:42 PM
So Jim apologized and the Tigers and Chevy gave him a Vette.. I take back what I said about Jimmy.. As he took the line up card today he cried.. WOW!! A true gentleman...

I feel bad for both of them. I heard today that Bud Selig won't overturn it - as he shouldn't IMO.

Nadroj 20
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I feel bad for both of them. I heard today that Bud Selig won't overturn it - as he shouldn't IMO.

Im not going to argue with you about your opinion, but I am curious as to why you feel that way?

kmsteelerwr15
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM

And you gotta give Galarraga all the credit in the world to be a class act all the way through this. Cause if it were me, he would have had a nice fastball between his eyes.

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 12:51 AM
I love baseball and all of the traditions but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't time for some kind of reviews on certain plays (besides questionable Home Runs) like in Hockey or maybe give each team 1 challenge per game.

I hate to see changes in baseball but there is no way that kid should have lost his Perfect Game like that.

I can pretty much guarantee there will be expanded instant replay next season. If a kid having a perfect game taken away by an absolutely horrible call isn't enough of a catalyst, I don't know what would.

Props to all involved for their class shown through it, especially Galarraga. I don't know if I'd have been able to keep my cool.

cakmakli
06-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Im not going to argue with you about your opinion, but I am curious as to why you feel that way?

Because the game is over and done. It would be the start of a slippery slope to allow MLB to change decisions made by umpires after the game is over. If a runner was called out at home to end a game and the replay showed that he was safe would MLB overturn the call and give that team a run? What if it tied the game, would they replay the game starting where it was left off? They did that one time before in the George Brett Pine Tar Incident and it was dumb IMO to bring both teams back together to just to play one out.

It would be almost like the NFL imposing fines on players for hits when no call was made on the field.

Here is an article about Instant Reply in todays Tribune. LINK (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_684583.html)

MLB panel likely to examine instant replay
By The Associated Press
Saturday, June 5, 2010

A bouncing ball to the right side of the infield, a flip to the bag, a surprising safe call by the umpire, and a furious manager.

Nah, not the play in Detroit. We've seen that enough. This one came a few hours later in Seattle, far from the eye of a sports media storm.

"The replays showed he's out, bottom line," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire fumed after the winning run on that disputed play Wednesday night. "It's all out there for you, just go watch the replays."

Which is exactly what Major League Baseball intends to do. Stung by the blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game, commissioner Bud Selig said he would look at the big picture -- the possibility of expanding the use of video reviews.

The subject is certain to be addressed when Selig's blue-ribbon panel holds its next meeting on Thursday.

"I guarantee it," said Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre, part of the specially picked committee. "I'm sure it's going to be added to the agenda."

And so starts another great debate in baseball.

"There are so many close calls in a game, so where do you draw the line?" Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle wondered. "Stolen bases, guys tagged out at home, so many plays at first base that are bang-bang plays, where do you draw the line?"

Added New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter: "When does it stop, when does it start? Do you have a flag that you throw from the bench for challenges?"

Heck, how about having a computer-simulated box call balls-and-strikes, like they do on TV?

"I don't know about that instant replay stuff. We might as well just build robots and put 'em out there," Washington slugger Adam Dunn said.

Remember, it was a rash of missed calls in the middle of the 2008 season that prompted baseball to join the electronic-eye age within a few months -- the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, NASCAR and Grand Slam tennis already used replay in some form by then.

For now, only questionable home run calls get a second look. But after a postseason filled with umpiring mistakes, the admission by Jim Joyce that he botched what should've been the final out in Galarraga's gem might spur more action.

A day after the Twins lost on that 10th-inning play at second base, Gardenhire had calmed down.

"I'm not going to get involved in that stuff. Can't do anything about it. It is what it is. If they want to make changes to help the game, then that's fine," he said.

Deciding what to do and getting it done are different issues. Any additional replay needs approval from the unions representing players and umpires.

Locking down the technical aspects could take more time. As it stands, camera angles are different at each park, limiting the looks that umpires get.

Paul Hawkins, who designed the Hawk-Eye replay system that's been well received in tennis, said baseball would need to make adjustments.

"This could be done using dedicated officiating technology rather, than solely piggybacking on television replays which are sometimes slow and inconclusive," he wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Then, it would come down to who makes the call. Could be the crew chief on the field, could be an NHL-style central review room, could be a replay official at the ballpark.

"I've heard a lot of different thoughts. Having a guy upstairs, another umpire ... seems the most logical, rather than stopping play all the time," Torre said. "To have somebody looking at it at the same time that folks at home are. Maybe have some kind of headset to communicate with them. That's good until it's that one day where he's going, 'Huh? Huh?'"

Nadroj 20
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I understand what your are saying but in this situation the ONLY thing is changes is he gets the perfect game and 1 hit which the guy doesnt deserves gets taken away from whoever they called safe. When it has no other influence like runs being scored or the difference of a team winning or losing, the pitcher should rightfully get what he deserves.

He pitched a perfect game....no question

So i suppose it doesnt matter if its official or not cause everyone knows he got it....I am just hoping this does get some kind of replay system in place so things like this are not missed anymore.

cakmakli
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Because there are so many close calls in baseball, especially in base running, there would have to be some kind of limit on using replays. If not it would draw out an already too long game.

Maybe if they gave each Manager one challenge per game with a consequence like an out or something if they were wrong.

touchdownward
06-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Plain and simple, Galarraga was robbed and handled it with as much class as I've ever seen. :thumbsup: