PDA

View Full Version : The T.J Ward hit

GodfatherofSoul
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfoPYpC4pyY&feature=player_embedded

Pretty interesting that there was a similar hit in the Steelers game where they picked up the flag. Yes, it was a brutal hit but it was 100% legit. The ball was still in play and Ward hit Shipley clearly with his shoulder.

This is my problem with the NFL adopting all of these Gray Rules. Plenty of room for refs to affect outcomes by throwing flags whenever they want and not when they're *supposed* to.

T&B fan
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
one was a RB ( Steelers ) ok hit ... other was WR not ok .

BigNastyDefense
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't have a problem with that hit. Ward is an aggressive hard-hitting safety. If you come over the middle, he's going to hit you. He reminds me of Ryan Clark in that way.

Was it late? Maybe a little. Was it cheap? No. Was it dirty? Hell no. It was a hard-nosed, physical, old school football play. The type of play we cheer when one of our players does it.

JonM229
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Let them play the game

The Duke
10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Nice :thumbsup:

seems like the browns finally found someone with attitude for their team

Devilsdancefloor
10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
A WR can be a defenseless player where a RB can not that i think is the difference between the hits & penalties

smokin3000gt
10-05-2010, 06:59 PM
This is my problem with the NFL adopting all of these Gray Rules. Plenty of room for refs to affect outcomes by throwing flags whenever they want and not when they're *supposed* to.

I agree 100%. How many times in the past few games have we seen flags only to have them tell us there wasn't a foul on the play? It seems like anytime someone gets their bell rung it draws a flag even if the hit was legal. The officiating has been kinda piss poor thus far in the season and I don't think the 'throw the flag if in doubt and ask questions later' is going to fly far with the fans either.

SMR
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree 100%. How many times in the past few games have we seen flags only to have them tell us there wasn't a foul on the play? It seems like anytime someone gets their bell rung it draws a flag even if the hit was legal. The officiating has been kinda piss poor thus far in the season and I don't think the 'throw the flag if in doubt and ask questions later' is going to fly far with the fans either.

Indeed.

SirHulka
10-06-2010, 02:21 AM
A WR can be a defenseless player where a RB can not that i think is the difference between the hits & penalties

If you're out in the open, and the pass comes your way, it doesn't matter if you're a WR or a RB. You can be defenseless either way.

Back to the play. Not one single so-called 'expert' announcer complained about Suh when he grabbed Delhomme BY THE HEAD and threw him down. If Suh only got $7000 for that, then TJ shouldn't get fined at all, despite what that p***y Pierra says. He needs to get glasses. TJ obviously led with his shoulder.

(I hate to say this, but I think Polamalu would be proud of that hit)

Galax Steeler
10-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Looks like the Bungholes will have someone else to watch out for in the North.

SirHulka
10-06-2010, 04:27 AM
I wasn't too thrilled by the Ward pick, but he's beginning to grow on me.

Wallace108
10-06-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. While I'm all in favor of aggressive hitting, that was a helmet-to-helmet hit. Penalty.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/262853/IMG-referee-flag.jpg

Lambert_Loonie
10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
So did anyone else think TJ was related to Hines after that hit?

SirHulka
10-06-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. While I'm all in favor of aggressive hitting, that was a helmet-to-helmet hit. Penalty.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/262853/IMG-referee-flag.jpg

Look again. There was helmet to helmet contact, but he hit him first with his shoulder. No penalty.

So did anyone else think TJ was related to Hines after that hit?

No. Polamalu maybe.

Wallace108
10-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Look again. There was helmet to helmet contact, but he hit him first with his shoulder. No penalty.

Pause it at the 10-second mark. His helmet hit Shipley's helmet at the same time his shoulder hit his chest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the hit. :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
If you're out in the open, and the pass comes your way, it doesn't matter if you're a WR or a RB. You can be defenseless either way.

Back to the play. Not one single so-called 'expert' announcer complained about Suh when he grabbed Delhomme BY THE HEAD and threw him down. If Suh only got $7000 for that, then TJ shouldn't get fined at all, despite what that p***y Pierra says. He needs to get glasses. TJ obviously led with his shoulder.

(I hate to say this, but I think Polamalu would be proud of that hit)

but a RB RUNNNING the ball can not be a defenseless player they pick our flag up because of this.

Vis
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Stop worrying about helmet to helmet and look at the rule that was broken. Some here don’t know them so here are changes made this last year:

The final change addresses forearm and shoulder hits to protect defenseless receivers. In the past, officials gave an unnecessary roughness penalty to a defender if he delivered a helmet hit to a receiver going across the middle of the field or any spot on the field in which he appeared to be defenseless. Starting this fall, the penalty will also apply if the defender hits the defenseless receiver in the head or neck with his forearm or shoulder.

stlrtruck
10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd have to say that the hit was illegal even though he led with the shoulder, the hit was to the helmet and I remember a few years ago Clark got flagged for such a hit on Welker.

GodfatherofSoul
10-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Stop worrying about helmet to helmet and look at the rule that was broken. Some here don’t know them so here are changes made this last year:

The final change addresses forearm and shoulder hits to protect defenseless receivers. In the past, officials gave an unnecessary roughness penalty to a defender if he delivered a helmet hit to a receiver going across the middle of the field or any spot on the field in which he appeared to be defenseless. Starting this fall, the penalty will also apply if the defender hits the defenseless receiver in the head or neck with his forearm or shoulder.

Wow, well that settles it if they made it formally a penalty. Now, how the heck you're supposed to tackle while avoiding contact with the helmet is another question. The pussification of the NFL continues. I still think the NFL is going to look like soccer in 10 years ("ow my calf!" [writhes on ground]).

Vis
10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow, well that settles it if they made it formally a penalty. Now, how the heck you're supposed to tackle while avoiding contact with the helmet is another question. The pussification of the NFL continues. I still think the NFL is going to look like soccer in 10 years ("ow my calf!" [writhes on ground]).

Protecting against concussions is a good thing. It's also cheaper for the league than paying benefits to injured retirees. The problem is the equipment has improved so much that you can use it as a weapon and not get hurt yourself. Players are bigger and faster so they create more force - simple physics. The league isn't less violent, it's more. Look at film from the old, classic, tough guy days and notice all the arm tackling. Where did that go? That was proper tackling back then, now it's all impact. With the equipment in the old days, both players wouldn't get up from hits like we see now. Now they are invulnerable except for knees and brains. Thus, rules about knees and brains are changing.

T&B fan
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM

Little white flags on your hips ...

GodfatherofSoul
10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
The league isn't less violent, it's more.

Now that I DON'T agree with. Players are stronger and there's more force in each contact, but players aren't more violent. You don't see guys getting hit 5 yards out of bounds or, as Art Donovan related, no one sees you hurt on the ground and jumps on your leg 3 times until it breaks. And, you overestimate the quality of gear. Lots of guys aren't even wearing knee, thigh, and hip pads anymore. Athletes are just so phenomenally conditioned now they can take more abuse.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice :thumbsup:

seems like the browns finally found someone with attitude for their team

Really hope we can get more guys like this actually.

am tired of being the ones on other teams highlight films. 'bout time we had a guy like this, hopefully this isn't the last we hear of him.

tube517
10-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Now, the Bungles are crying about it. I may have to actually tune in and watch the next game between the 2 teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5655099

SirHulka
10-07-2010, 01:55 AM

And Harrison knocked McGahee out of the game with an obvious helmet to helmet hit. The NFL is going out of its way to protect 'defenseless' WRs and QBs, and at the same time, will allow 5-6-7 defenders to pile on a RB and beat the crap out of him. Why? It looks like the league is protecting the passing game, and screwing the running game. It is a passing league, after all.

stlrtruck
10-07-2010, 06:06 AM
And Harrison knocked McGahee out of the game with an obvious helmet to helmet hit. The NFL is going out of its way to protect 'defenseless' WRs and QBs, and at the same time, will allow 5-6-7 defenders to pile on a RB and beat the crap out of him. Why? It looks like the league is protecting the passing game, and screwing the running game. It is a passing league, after all.

Hulka just sit back enjoy the show and realize what we Steelers fans have gone through over the last 5 years with such an aggressive defense.

And really it's just the league having assinine rules to 'protect' certain players while others get mauled.

One day the NFL (Players and owners) will realize they are screwing up the league and we'll be able to go back to some good old school type football.

Until then.....sit back and enjoy the pansification of the league under Der Kommish!

O'Malley
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Let them play the game

Ditto!

JayC
10-07-2010, 04:05 PM
i dont like the turds or bungles but i sure like to see bungle players getting knocked out probably even more than if it were a rat/turd player (those would be nice too of course but something makes me want all the bungles to get knocked out)

SteelerFanInStl
10-08-2010, 10:50 AM
The NFL is going out of its way to protect 'defenseless' WRs and QBs, and at the same time, will allow 5-6-7 defenders to pile on a RB and beat the crap out of him. Why? It looks like the league is protecting the passing game, and screwing the running game. It is a passing league, after all.

This is exactly what they want. We're going to start seeing CFL type scores pretty soon. Goodell is ruining the sport that I've loved for over 35 years.

stlrtruck
10-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Really hope we can get more guys like this actually.

am tired of being the ones on other teams highlight films. 'bout time we had a guy like this, hopefully this isn't the last we hear of him.

Oh I'm sure you'll hear about him again, but it'll most likely be when the browns don't resign him and he ends up with the Steelers! :rofl::tt02:

SirHulka
10-09-2010, 02:30 AM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/10/04/19/454-572Bengals_Browns_Football.sff.embedded.prod_affil iate.156.jpg

One other thing. I've heard a lot of BS talk about how he hit him late, after the ball was already on the ground.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't see no ball on the ground.

O'Malley
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/10/04/19/454-572Bengals_Browns_Football.sff.embedded.prod_affil iate.156.jpg

One other thing. I've heard a lot of BS talk about how he hit him late, after the ball was already on the ground.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't see no ball on the ground.

Clean hit. Sissyfied rules!

SMR
10-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Psycho Ward would be so proud!

silver & black
10-10-2010, 08:28 AM
It was a clean hit. It was like a bang bang play in baseball. He hit him at almost the same time the ball got there. I wish that guy played for the Raiders... we could use that kind of attitude.