PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' defense dismayed for failing to hold lead

stillers4me
10-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Tuesday, October 05, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

It didn't seem to matter that there were 11 penalties for 88 yards, as many as they had committed in the first three games combined.
Or that the offense failed to gain 1 yard from their 3 after a tense defensive stand gave them a chance to run out the remaining 2 minutes, 40 seconds.

Or even that a holding penalty against linebacker Keyaron Fox on a punt from the end zone shortened an already short field by another 10 yards.

To members of the Steelers' defense, the only thing that mattered was that they failed to protect a late lead, something that dogged them last season. And that it happened against the Baltimore Ravens, a team they had dominated for most of the past decade at Heinz Field, only made it worse.

"We still feel we had some control," safety Troy Polamalu said. "Had we made that last stop, we'd be singing a different tune right now."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10278/1092701-66.stm#ixzz11Tj72Jrr

VTsteel
10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Gawd I wanna smack this smug look off his face. I can't wait till we play them again . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/20101005steelers0_3_330.jpg

Steeldude
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
it's hard to protect leads when you use a passive defense. is lebeau getting soft?

Edman
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
The obvious answer is yes.

memphissteelergirl
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
This same "soft" defense is responsible for helping this team achieve a 3-1 record without its franchise QB. :wtf:

ALLD
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
The defense gave up the last TD to lose it, but Skippy missed two FGs which would have won it and the O failed to make a first down when backed up to the goal line which gave the ball back to the Rats in our next to last possession. Plenty of blame to go around. What made me sick was hearing about it on NFL Network and Douchemensada getting interviewed on Sirius <puke>.

GodfatherofSoul
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Two false starts at HOME when we looked to be moving the ball well enough to get a first down. Then, tack on a crappy punt from a short snap further shortened by another 10 yard penalty on special teams. I was lucky enough to be at the game and from the nose bleed seats I'd guess there were 3 TD passes we left on the field. I point the finger at offense on this loss.

Craic
10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Two false starts at HOME when we looked to be moving the ball well enough to get a first down. Then, tack on a crappy punt from a short snap further shortened by another 10 yard penalty on special teams. I was lucky enough to be at the game and from the nose bleed seats I'd guess there were 3 TD passes we left on the field. I point the finger at offense on this loss.

Sorry, I don't buy it. When your offense puts up a touchdown on a 93 yard, almost 7 minute drive to eat up almost HALF of the fourth quarter, you should be able to expect the defense to come on the field and shut down the opposing offense to win the game. Did they? Nope. The Steelers D allowed a 60 yard, 10 play drive, 4 FIRST DOWN drive... Every first down but one was obtained from 10 YARDS OUT. The only one that wasn't, was from 8 yards out.

The DEFENSE allowed themselves to get pushed right up to the endzone before they made a stop. They FAILED in the game of field position in the fourth quarter. That put the offense is a very bad spot, one where the defense could simply load up the box and wait for the rush, which they did.

THEN, after a punt, they AGAIN allowed the opposing offense a 40 yard drive in 4 PLAYS, THREE OF WHICH WENT FOR FIRST DOWNS. That was BEFORE an 18 yard touchdown pass.

Sorry, but when the offense eats up almost half the final quarter AND put the team up by 4 points, REGARDLESS of what happened before, it is the defenses job to stop the opposing offense. NOT get pinned down at the 1 before they are stopped.

At that point, it would have been better for our defense to actually let them score to give the offense time AND SPACE to work.

The fourth quarter was a defensive failure pretty much all the way around, except for 2 plays by Gay.

X-Terminator
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, they should be. This has become a recurring problem that needs to be addressed, and addressed ASAP. All this proved that the problems last year weren't all as a result of Troy and Aaron being out, something many of us had said at the time. They lose their killer instinct late in games, and it's hurting them big time.

SMR
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I don't buy it. When your offense puts up a touchdown on a 93 yard, almost 7 minute drive to eat up almost HALF of the fourth quarter, you should be able to expect the defense to come on the field and shut down the opposing offense to win the game. Did they? Nope. The Steelers D allowed a 60 yard, 10 play drive, 4 FIRST DOWN drive... Every first down but one was obtained from 10 YARDS OUT. The only one that wasn't, was from 8 yards out.

The DEFENSE allowed themselves to get pushed right up to the endzone before they made a stop. They FAILED in the game of field position in the fourth quarter. That put the offense is a very bad spot, one where the defense could simply load up the box and wait for the rush, which they did.

THEN, after a punt, they AGAIN allowed the opposing offense a 40 yard drive in 4 PLAYS, THREE OF WHICH WENT FOR FIRST DOWNS. That was BEFORE an 18 yard touchdown pass.

Sorry, but when the offense eats up almost half the final quarter AND put the team up by 4 points, REGARDLESS of what happened before, it is the defenses job to stop the opposing offense. NOT get pinned down at the 1 before they are stopped.

At that point, it would have been better for our defense to actually let them score to give the offense time AND SPACE to work.

The fourth quarter was a defensive failure pretty much all the way around, except for 2 plays by Gay.

I have to agree with you on this. I am just sick and tired of this and all the other fourth quarter meltdowns of last year. I hope they stop piling up NOW!! :mad::mad::mad:

Edman
10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
So are we guys. So are we.

GutterflowerSteel
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
The defense gave up the last TD to lose it, but Skippy missed two FGs which would have won it and the O failed to make a first down when backed up to the goal line which gave the ball back to the Rats in our next to last possession. Plenty of blame to go around. What made me sick was hearing about it on NFL Network and Douchemensada getting interviewed on Sirius <puke>.

I KNOW - I had to turn it off til I knew he was gone, the smug bastage. I can't STAND Douche! And now that game will be on NFL Replay tonight - bleh!

steeldawg
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Offense had to get ten yards to secure that game at the end. TEN yards!!! Only 200yrds of total offense 2 missed field goals, oh which where both setup by 2 turnovers our defense created. So our defense gave up a 49 yard drive at the end to lose it....tyhey only gave up 16 points and they won the turnover battle what more do you want. If you cant move the ball you wont win, this is the nfl if the offense keeps going 3 and out eventually no matter how good your defense is the opposing team will capitalize.