PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisbeger: 'It's Good To Be Back'

polamalubeast
10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
He spoke to reporters at a press conference Monday afternoon.

"First off, it's good to be back here at the facility – especially with my teammates. Good to see coaches, be around my teammates and I'm just excited to get back and get focused on football and focus on this year and trying to get to Dallas."

Reporter: "What have you learned in the last couple weeks?"

Roethlisberger: "I hate being away from football; how much you appreciate meetings and practice and being around the guys and just how hard it was to be away from them mostly."

Reporter: "How were you as a viewer of the game? …

Read more

http://kdka.com/local/Ben.roethlisberger.returns.2.1946208.html

Merchant
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben-is-back/dfbb247c-0513-4ee9-a063-2cf3e713aea8

^full press conference

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm just happy that with 4 weeks of working out 2 hours a day with his QB coach...........he didnt hit any college bars during the other 22 hours in the day. He might have a chance to finish the season without another suspension.

Merchant
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm just happy that with 4 weeks of working out 2 hours a day with his QB coach...........he didnt hit any college bars during the other 22 hours in the day. He might have a chance to finish the season without another suspension.

As his trusted wingman.. I can confirm that Benjamin was on his best behavior.

He looks in better shape too!

stillers4me
10-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Really, enough is enough. It's time to let it go and move on with the football season. He's done everything that's been asked of him and has jumped through more hoops than any other player has ever been asked to do. I'm respectfully asking to just move on.

43Hitman
10-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome back Ben. I can't wait to see you destroy the Clowns. Oh man thats going to be one helluva fun game to watch.

salamander
10-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Welcome Back, Ben!

:tt03::tt03:

Craic
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Really, enough is enough. It's time to let it go and move on with the football season. He's done everything that's been asked of him and has jumped through more hoops than any other player has ever been asked to do. I'm respectfully asking to just move on.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. Ricky Williams had to jump through a whole lot more hoops.

Michael Vick was suspended indefinitely, then went to jail, thus, he was in actuality suspended for two years. Even in a "work release program" (Said tongue in cheek), he wouldn't have been able to play, because of suspension. Then, he gets out of jail, and has ANOTHER 4 game suspension tacked on. That is definitely more hoops than Ben R.

I could go on. But Ben wasn't ask to jump through a million hoops. He was held accountable for his actions, and the consequences were all things that seemed for the most part, to be restorative rather than punitive... and it seemed to have worked. But, like El-Gonzo hinted at, he has a reputation which he has earned over 3 different offseasons of making decisions which are detrimental to him... 2 sexual accusations and his bike accident. Until he shows, through a couple offseasons that he really HAS changed, this issue is open for discussion IMO.

Craic
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
What really impressed me was the last answer to the last question on the video. It shows a difference between mouthing words, and truly picking up some wisdom I think....

Paraphrased: Its not so much becoming a new person, but returning to who you were.

It's the little things like this statement that really gives me hope he is heading down a new path.

7SteelGal43
10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
He's back, and I would imagine he's hungry to redeem himself to his coaches, teammates, and fans. WOOT.

stillers4me
10-04-2010, 06:46 PM
There's discussing it and then there's beating a dead horse over and over. I merely suggesting we bury the horse and talk about how Ben and the Steelers are going to play in 2 weeks. Moving....on.

Craic
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
There's discussing it and then there's beating a dead horse over and over. I merely suggesting we bury the horse and talk about how Ben and the Steelers are going to play in 2 weeks. Moving....on.

I understand what your saying. I DO still worry about Ben's down time, however.

stillers4me
10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I understand what your saying. I DO still worry about Ben's down time, however.

Which is why he should have been with the team while he was suspended. Sounds like he put the time to good use, training and such with his trainer. George Mitchell posted on twitter that Ben worked very hard. Hopefully, we'll see anew Ben in more ways than one. :drink:

stlrtruck
10-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree here. Ricky Williams had to jump through a whole lot more hoops.

Michael Vick was suspended indefinitely, then went to jail, thus, he was in actuality suspended for two years. Even in a "work release program" (Said tongue in cheek), he wouldn't have been able to play, because of suspension. Then, he gets out of jail, and has ANOTHER 4 game suspension tacked on. That is definitely more hoops than Ben R.

I could go on. But Ben wasn't ask to jump through a million hoops. He was held accountable for his actions, and the consequences were all things that seemed for the most part, to be restorative rather than punitive... and it seemed to have worked. But, like El-Gonzo hinted at, he has a reputation which he has earned over 3 different offseasons of making decisions which are detrimental to him... 2 sexual accusations and his bike accident. Until he shows, through a couple offseasons that he really HAS changed, this issue is open for discussion IMO.

There is also a difference between accussations and being guilty. While Ben is definitely guilty of bad judgment, he was never found guilty as the two you mentioned. Thus it would be expected that the hoops they jumped through would be more.

But for a man that was only accused he definitely had a lot of hoops to jump through. Considering the blunder that is Der Kommish, the lack of consistency makes it even worse.

I also have to agree that the horse on this one has been dead for some time now. I'm sure we've all made mistakes that have seriously hurt others and have asked forgiveness. Is it not time for us to extend that same to Ben?

CPanther95
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Don't forget that the reason Ben was jumping through hoops was to have his suspension reduced.

I'm glad that option was there.

SteelGhost
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM

I agree 100% s4m :applaudit: Funeral time for that poor dead horse :nod:

Craic
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
There is also a difference between accusations and being guilty. While Ben is definitely guilty of bad judgment, he was never found guilty as the two you mentioned. Thus it would be expected that the hoops they jumped through would be more.

But for a man that was only accused he definitely had a lot of hoops to jump through. Considering the blunder that is Der Kommish, the lack of consistency makes it even worse.

I also have to agree that the horse on this one has been dead for some time now. I'm sure we've all made mistakes that have seriously hurt others and have asked forgiveness. Is it not time for us to extend that same to Ben?

I think 90% of the people have made this mistake. The truth is, Ben WAS GUILTY... Of bringing negative press onto the NFL. THAT is what he was suspended for. THAT is why he is guilty of something worse than Michael Vick. Because he brought an even MORE distasteful situation (Rape, not dog fighting, which is illegal in this country because of sentimentality, more than anything else, though I agree with the law) to light which brings about even MORE negative press. Sure, PETA showed up at a few games. However, Ben is being used as the posterboy by Rape crisis centers, woman's groups, and the like for the problems of rape, rape culture, and dealing with rape. THAT tarnishes the NFL and the Steelers.

As far as Goodeals inconsistency, please remember that any issue concerning alcohol, drugs, performance enhancing drugs, and crimes committed or accused of being committed are ALL covered under the CBA, and the Commissioner's hands are tied.On some of the others, ask yourself a simple question. Does this situation bring up as distasteful a feeling in the average american as Ben's rape situation? The answer in every situation except for Pacman Jones and Stallworth, is NO.

Do I like Good-deal? Not very much. I have ALWAYS believed that if a penalty isn't called on the field, then no fine should be ensuing. If it isn't a penalty now, it shouldn't be one later. He is dead wrong. But I also have to be honest when he deals with these kind of issues, and outside of anything covered by the CBA, I think he has been decent.

Beating a dead horse comes in more than one shade... everytime a player sneezes in the wrong direction and it makes the papers, a number of people here clamor about a 4 game suspension and how Good-deal is "out to get the Steelers". That horse too, is way beyond dead.

Now, back on point of this thread. What do you think Ben..... Never mind, That's an idea for a new thread....

siss
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Benjamin its good to have you back! Now go throw some TD's!

The real fans still love you!

steelerdude15
10-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Glad to have you back Ben, glad to have you back.

kmsteelerwr15
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Welcome Back Ben!!!!!

siss
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
When Ben said he was he didn't have any finger nails left, did anyone else think "well now you know he we feel".

Maybe this experience will make Ben want to put the game away in like the 3rd Quarter and make it easy on The Nations nerves?

Merchant
10-04-2010, 10:57 PM
When Ben said he was he didn't have any finger nails left, did anyone else think "well now you know he we feel".

Maybe this experience will make Ben want to put the game away in like the 3rd Quarter and make it easy on The Nations nerves?

No. Ben likes 4th quarter comebacks :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-05-2010, 02:46 AM
I hope he takes it out on the Clowns in a couple of weeks. I am so glad he is back and not have to worry about our quarterback situation.

venom
10-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Bombs Away !!!!

http://i27.tinypic.com/34zbude.jp%3E%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3EAs%20the%20summer%20winds%20down%20t he%20NFL%20season%20approaches,%20and%20as%20we%20 have%20done%20in%20the%20past,%20we%27re%20opening %20a%20Y%21%20Sports%20fantasy%20football%20league .%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3EThe%20league%20name%20is:%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3ELeague%20Name:%20WBW:%20Squibs%20&%20Facemasks%20%3Cspan%3E%3Cb%20id=

stlrtruck
10-05-2010, 07:25 AM
On some of the others, ask yourself a simple question. Does this situation bring up as distasteful a feeling in the average american as Ben's rape situation?

Slick slope on this one Preach. I've been in situations that left a bad taste in my mouth, only to find out that my original thoughts on the situation or the person involved were wrong. The commissioner didn't give this due process, and he made a knee jerk reaction based on accusations where there was very little evidence to being nothing more than guilty of bad judgment.

You and I will have to disagree on the commissioners consistency of dealing with players in this nature. I think he's been off on several instances and he picks and chooses who he wants to make an example out of.

But as it's been mentioned the horse is dead, and it's now water under the bridge. We can not change the league or Der Kommish.

memphissteelergirl
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Bombs Away !!!!

http://i27.tinypic.com/34zbude.jp%3E%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3EAs%20the%20summer%20winds%20down%20t he%20NFL%20season%20approaches,%20and%20as%20we%20 have%20done%20in%20the%20past,%20we%27re%20opening %20a%20Y%21%20Sports%20fantasy%20football%20league .%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3EThe%20league%20name%20is:%3C/p%3E%0A%3Cp%3ELeague%20Name:%20WBW:%20Squibs%20&%20Facemasks%20%3Cspan%3E%3Cb%20id=

LOL....I like it!

memphissteelergirl
10-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Amen, sister!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM

You have a point. You don't just wipe away the stain of multiple misconduct allegations and a 4 game suspension that fast. I purchased a #7 jersey for my son before Ben ever threw an NFL pass, but I would not feel right getting my daughter one to wear.

Between the sidelines I love the kid, but outside the football field he's got a long way to go before being back. I think he knows that.

Hey, just curious if Ben is still playing golf at any Arnold Palmer courses these days?? Have they welcomed him back?

stlrtruck
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
I purchased a #7 jersey for my son before Ben ever threw an NFL pass, but I would not feel right getting my daughter one to wear.

What's funny is this past off-season I had a chance to get my daughter a jersey and asked what she wanted. She said a Big Ben jersey. I looked at her and reminded her that he had been a bad boy and was in trouble and if she knew what that meant. She said yes that he didn't listen to his parents (close enough for me). But she still wanted his jersey.

And yes, I got it for her!