PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defend late-game strategy

LLT
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Steelers defend late-game strategy
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 4, 2010
Last updated: 8:04 am

Running back Rashard Mendenhall said he had no qualms with the Steelers keeping the ball on the ground late in the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens.

In fact, Mendenhall welcomed the challenge of trying to run out the clock with the ball in his hands.

"We knew we needed one first down, and we were going to take three runs to get there,'' said Mendenhall, who rushed for 79 yards and two touchdowns in a 17-14 loss to Baltimore at Heinz Field.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, they failed to get that coveted first down.

Read More: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702598.html

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2010, 10:47 AM
One thing that amazes me about the end of the game on the Sports talk shows in Pittsburgh is the fact that people think they should have taken a safety at the end of the game whenever if Baltimore scored the safety, they'd be able to score a FG to win, and if they scored a TD as they did, it would mean the Steelers would have to score a TD no matter what.

crcsnail
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
i know why the steelers went with the run but with the ravens playing the run i thought a quick hit pass would work. but that was santonios specialty i guess and he is no longer here :(

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
You guys know who's fault it is.......come on, its week 4 and nobody has rounded up the pitchforks and torches to head for the OC?? Man, I find it disheartening to know the sky isnt falling yet.

Oh well, there should be lots of overreaction going into a bye week.

Craic
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
You guys know who's fault it is.......come on, its week 4 and nobody has rounded up the pitchforks and torches to head for the OC?? Man, I find it disheartening to know the sky isnt falling yet.

Oh well, there should be lots of overreaction going into a bye week.

http://osoprodocoracao.weblog.com.pt/prateleira/laughing.gif

Honestly, I have NO problem with calling runs down there. If it weren't for the penalties, we would have had a 3rd and 4, 5 maybe. That makes a short pass a little more palatable.. especially because the QB isn't in the endzone on drop back. Still amazing, the D escapes any scrutiny in late game strategy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 12:56 PM
http://osoprodocoracao.weblog.com.pt/prateleira/laughing.gif

Honestly, I have NO problem with calling runs down there. If it weren't for the penalties, we would have had a 3rd and 4, 5 maybe. That makes a short pass a little more palatable.. especially because the QB isn't in the endzone on drop back. Still amazing, the D escapes any scrutiny in late game strategy.

Yeah, McFadden looked pretty casual on the last series and there was no pressure on Flacco....but they DID just have a huge goaline stand 1 minute earlier.

Mistakes and no Ben cost that one. Still, I like to see some BA, Reed, or maybe some Batch scapegoating going on.......its the way of the board.

LLT
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, McFadden looked pretty casual on the last series .

If you look at the last series...McFadden TWICE failed to use the sideline or back of the endzone as a "defender". Once on the long pass to the QB's right (way to much cushion)...and on that last TD he should have played up and been prepared to step in front of HumpsaLlama and "trapped" him between himself (McFadden) and the back of the endzone.

pepsyman1
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
If you look at the last series...McFadden TWICE failed to use the sideline or back of the endzone as a "defender". Once on the long pass to the QB's right (way to much cushion)...and on that last TD he should have played up and been prepared to step in front of HumpsaLlama and "trapped" him between himself (McFadden) and the back of the endzone.

You nailed it. For a team that's supposed to have an aggressive defense, we looked very passive that whole series as well as the previous series until they got down into the redzone.

SteelMember
10-04-2010, 01:27 PM
He bit on the double move to the corner. That's where that play goes 90% of the time. :noidea:

Steeldude
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
where are the "mcfadden is awesome" people" :huh:

he is average at best. i never understood why so many thought he was good. he wasn't good when he was here. he sucked in arizona and they quickly got rid of him.

IMO, if the steelers would be more aggressive in their blitzes and coverages the pass defense will improve.

LLT
10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
He bit on the double move to the corner. That's where that play goes 90% of the time. :noidea:

Unless someone missed their coverage in the middle..McFadden should have known that his margin of error wouldnt allow for a misstep unless he played up a bit.

With noone covering the middle Bryant should have played up, let TJ slide by, and stepped over while backing up... You can only do that in the endzone because the back line prevents the WR from accelerating and the QB has to try to either lob over the defender, wait for him to cut, or go to his next read.

Bryant played that one like he was in the middle of the field. Dont get me wrong...like I said earlier...McFadden is an upgrade from last year...and is an okay CB...but we will need to look at upgrading next year somehow.

SteelMember
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Believe me, I'm not defending him. I just thought he got caught anticipting the move to the corner.

Like a lot of our DB's he plays with a cushion in front, and accelerates to the ball. He seems to take that to the next degree sometimes and was noticable in this game. He came from behind, almost conceeding the catch if he couldn't get a hand in there on more than one occasion. I do believe he is a better man guy than Gay. As documented from his play last year, but I rarely see him try and undercut a play. It always seems as if it's from behind.

I'm not sure if it's just the scheme or what, but I don't see our guys backpeddeling much off the line. That used to be the #1 focus of db's in practice. Backpeddle, backpeddle, backpeddle. Every play starts with a backpeddle. Now, it seems they prefer to just play back and break on the ball.

As far as upgrading, I was hoping Lewis would be further along by now, personally.

LLT
10-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Believe me, I'm not defending him. I just thought he got caught anticipting the move to the corner.

OH NO...I am totally agreeing with you. I'm just saying since there was NOONE taking deep middle...it was his job to cut behind the WR.

My point was more about where he set himself up. He should have played up and stepped towards the middle, letting TJ slide before mirroring him.

You are exactly correct in that he got burned because he played off the reciever and bit on the move.

SteelMember
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm just saying since there was NOONE taking deep middle...it was his job to cut behind the WR.

I think it was obvious as the game wore on that their plan was to attack the deep middle as much as they could. Guys like Farrior dropping in coverage, mis-matched with TE's 10-15 yards off the LOS (Heap had a pretty big game), and you saw how much Clark was getting picked on. I think that last TD play by BMac was just the coup de gras.

Although, they pretty much got whatever they wanted in the passing game. We just didn't offer enough pressure to force Flacco's hand most of the time.

Their o-line played better than ours...

steeldawg
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
i know why the steelers went with the run but with the ravens playing the run i thought a quick hit pass would work. but that was santonios specialty i guess and he is no longer here :(
I think it was more they didnt want to put the game in batch's hands.

Chidi29
10-04-2010, 06:13 PM
OH NO...I am totally agreeing with you. I'm just saying since there was NOONE taking deep middle...it was his job to cut behind the WR.

My point was more about where he set himself up. He should have played up and stepped towards the middle, letting TJ slide before mirroring him.

You are exactly correct in that he got burned because he played off the reciever and bit on the move.

I agree with you that the downfall of McFadden was biting on the double move (It was actually supposed to be an out 'n up to the sideline for Housh but seeing the bite Housh broke it off), but I don't think playing up would have been the remedy. With a blitz, it would have been worse for McFadden to play up. With Clark having to play centerfield and helping what looked like Timmons over the top on Boldin who was running down the seam because of the Troy blitz, McFadden can't let Housh get behind him. The best way to ensure that doesn't happen is by playing off. Keep McFadden turned towards the QB so he can make a play on the ball should there be a hurried throw because of the blitz.

The play obviously didn't work out in reality on multiple levels, but I don't think McFadden playing off was the key. The key was for him to play disciplined coupled with a really good play by Housh and playcall by Cameron. They knew they had a chance to get him to bite after running that out route on that drive and in the game. Plus, that's virtually all McFadden has faced this season. Out routes to the sidelines. Roddy White did that all game Week 1.

XxKnightxX
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Lets not forget the pump fake either , that was a crucial pump that slowed down the secondary and what caused BMac to slow down, I knew that play was going for a TD when I saw Troy Blitz, that play he should of been playing the field and just having a 4 or different 5 man rush. It was the perfect play call we cant complain its all over guys. Well get em back nothing we can do.

LLT
10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I agree with you that the downfall of McFadden was biting on the double move (It was actually supposed to be an out 'n up to the sideline for Housh but seeing the bite Housh broke it off), but I don't think playing up would have been the remedy. With a blitz, it would have been worse for McFadden to play up. With Clark having to play centerfield and helping what looked like Timmons over the top on Boldin who was running down the seam because of the Troy blitz, McFadden can't let Housh get behind him. The best way to ensure that doesn't happen is by playing off. Keep McFadden turned towards the QB so he can make a play on the ball should there be a hurried throw because of the blitz.

The play obviously didn't work out in reality on multiple levels, but I don't think McFadden playing off was the key. The key was for him to play disciplined coupled with a really good play by Housh and playcall by Cameron. They knew they had a chance to get him to bite after running that out route on that drive and in the game. Plus, that's virtually all McFadden has faced this season. Out routes to the sidelines. Roddy White did that all game Week 1.

...Except that a CB or Safety has to use the sidelines as a defender. With TJ limited by how far he could go north/south McFadden CAN and should let TJ get behind him. When a CB plays behind the WR in the endzone he takes himself out of the play and in this case would have been standing out of bounds. He should have been set between the QB and WR ..and mirroring the WR with the expectation of him cutting east/west.

Now granted...it was an 18 yard TD...so Bryant had to make the read to see if TJ was going short or into the endzone...but once TJ showed his route, Bryant should have slid over and trapped TJ against the back of the endzone. As we have both said...he couldnt make any move, because he bit on the fake.

stlrtruck
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a good idea for the defense. Make the browns pay for it by posting a shut out!

T&B fan
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, McFadden looked pretty casual on the last series and there was no pressure on Flacco....but they DID just have a huge goaline stand 1 minute earlier.

Mistakes and no Ben cost that one. Still, I like to see some BA, Reed, or maybe some Batch scapegoating going on.......its the way of the board.

after are TD in the 4Q the kick off sucked .