PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know what it is...

Edman
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Why does the Steeler Defense play lights out most of the game. They play out of sight for 57-58 minutes. Then all of the sudden, they turn into a seive.

Last year, we placed our blame on "No Troy". Well, this game, the same thing happened and was hauntingly reminiscent of 2009. Offense couldn't put games away, D lets opposing teams right down the field, they score, and we lose. We had Troy and Smith this time.

Why do teams magically transform into the 1999 Rams near the end of games?

BlastFurnace
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I've wondered the same thing for the last couple of years, but I don't think we are the only team this happens to. Problem is, it's fresh on our minds because of what happened last year. I do know one thing that happens with the Steelers, their blitz packages do not surprise anyone.

BlastFurnace
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
One thing is for sure...this team has more nail biter wins/losses than any team in the league.

hotrodder07
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
One thing is for sure...this team has more nail biter wins/losses than any team in the league.

Seriously! Last week at Tampa was so refreshing, as it felt like the first time in 3 years that I was able to breath for the majority of the game. It seems that every game comes down to the final possession for this team.

As for the defense, I don't know. I do think it happens to all teams, though. When the opposing offense is in desperation mode, they seem to be able to move the ball better. It happens a lot at the end of the first half as well. Basically, what I'm trying to say is I don't know. :noidea:

steelreserve
10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I've wondered the same thing for the last couple of years, but I don't think we are the only team this happens to. Problem is, it's fresh on our minds because of what happened last year. I do know one thing that happens with the Steelers, their blitz packages do not surprise anyone.

When we play the aggressive style of defense that wins us games, yes, the blitz does work.

When we rush four guys and either Harrison or Woodley drops back from the line before the ball is even snapped, then no, we don't fool anyone, and that's when teams convert third-and-12 or march down the field with eight underneath passes in a row.

During our Super Bowl years, the defense has been lining up seven, eight guys not "in the box" but AT THE LINE just before the snap, jumping around and switching places and creeping forward and back and generally scaring the shit out of the QB about what could be coming. No, we don't blitz every time we do that, but we REALLY keep them off balance. We did it all the time in 2008, not much at all in 2009, and this year we've been doing more of it again, but you see what happens when we don't.

Wallace108
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I think it all goes back to the "playing not to lose" philosophy.

Against the Ravens, I saw it with the offense. The Steelers had the ball inside their own 5. The Ravens KNOW they're going to run 3 times and punt. That's playing not to lose, and that's exactly what they did. How about play-action on second down and trying to get a first down? But no, they were playing not to lose. And the same can be said for the defense on the final drive. They were playing soft and giving the Ravens the underneath routes. Playing not to get burned deep ... playing not to lose. And what happened? We lost.

Steel12
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't understand why we would blitz at all on that last drive. They needed a TD, not a FG to win the game. You can't leave any cornerback alone like that and expect things to go your way most of the time. No pressure from that blitz killed us. They had no timeouts...let them keep wasting time slowly moving up the field. As soon as I saw Troy coming on the blitz, I knew the game was over. The pass defense at the end of games always hurts us. Let's hope it's not a recurring problem again this season.

steelreserve
10-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Exactly right about playing not to lose. I mean, if we threw an incomplete pass or two when we had the ball instead of running for no gain, I don't think it would've done us any harm at all. Either way, the Ravens are going to get the ball back at about midfield, and if they get it with two minutes left instead of one minute, what difference does it make? Our task is exactly the same: Keep them from scoring a touchdown. Whether they had two minutes or one minute on the clock was irrelevant, either one is enough time to move 50 yards in a hurry-up.

On the other hand, if we completed ONE pass and got a first down, we win the game right then and there. I don't know how you could pass up that chance in favor of running off 45 seconds so you can punt from your own end zone.

Steel12
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Exactly right about playing not to lose. I mean, if we threw an incomplete pass or two when we had the ball instead of running for no gain, I don't think it would've done us any harm at all. Either way, the Ravens are going to get the ball back at about midfield, and if they get it with two minutes left instead of one minute, what difference does it make? Our task is exactly the same: Keep them from scoring a touchdown. Whether they had two minutes or one minute on the clock was irrelevant, either one is enough time to move 50 yards in a hurry-up.

On the other hand, if we completed ONE pass and got a first down, we win the game right then and there. I don't know how you could pass up that chance in favor of running off 45 seconds so you can punt from your own end zone.

Coach Tomlin said that the way the game was going that he felt the best thing was to run some clock, punt the ball and let the D handle it. They had no timeouts so he figured we just had to hold on...but we called a dumb blitz and left McFadden open to a double move and game over. DAMMIT!

Wallace108
10-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Coach Tomlin said that the way the game was going that he felt the best thing was to run some clock, punt the ball and let the D handle it. They had no timeouts so he figured we just had to hold on...but we called a dumb blitz and left McFadden open to a double move and game over. DAMMIT!

I get what Tomlin is saying, but it's just not smart. I'm all for punting the ball if you can pin a team deep and make them drive the length of the field to beat you. But calling offensive plays knowing you're going to have to punt from the back of the end zone and give the Ravens great field position? And lets give the Ravens a little credit. TJ put a great move on McFadden and Flacco hit him in stride. Our defense gambled at the one time it should have been playing conservative. For the rest of the drive, they played conservative and let the Ravens get within striking distance.

pepsyman1
10-04-2010, 12:00 AM
It's aggravating to me too! :mad2:

I would much rather see us get beat doing what we do best...being aggressive and attacking on defense. If we do that and some offense is able to drive down the field and score on us, they deserve to win. Playing this soft, predictable, "keep them in front of us" style at the end of each half is useless and is enough to make me scream. It keeps opponents hopes alive almost every game.

The super bowl year NO ONE could tell where are blitzers were coming from. Farrier and Foote crossing through the middle, a CB from the blind edge, everybody at once...it was always changing and it was often.