PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Adjustments Needed

pepsyman1
10-03-2010, 06:11 PM
So what's everyone's opinion on what should be done with our pass defense. In 2008 our pass defense was rated #1 in the league, surrendering 159 yards per game with only a 56.5% completion rate for opposing QB's. Their combined passer rating a dismal 63.4.

Last year was up to 215 yards, 58.2% complete and an 83.4 rating.

THIS YEAR, although it hasn't turned into many points for our opposition, the numbers are getting a little scary: 226 yards per game and a completion rate just under 65%!!! The really frightening part is that so far we haven't even faced what anyone would consider a strong offensive unit. Right now, it seems that if our pass rush doesn't make it to the QB the passes are basically unchallenged by the secondary. Most of the time our cornerbacks seem content to let wide receivers catch any pass they want as long as it's kept in front of them. Any opinion of what Lebeau should/may do if anything? Watching the Ravens go with many max protection packages today and still find open wide receivers and tight ends all game really highlighted our pass defense weakness which was already down to 17th in the league before Flacco's performance today.

pepsyman1
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
So no one has an opinion? lol

Devilsdancefloor
10-03-2010, 07:08 PM
well it looked like the D was still in tampa for a long while this afternoon. I really think you are seeing Coach dads D. We are getting TO and keeping people out of the EZ. That is the most important stat IMO. They can have 500 yards O, but if we keep them out of the EZ i have faith we can win. It wil all work out in the end just stay patient

steeldawg
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
giving up 16 points i hardly think is a reason to revamp the defense, which is mainly responsible for us being 3-1. The reason we lost that game was not the D. We forced 2 turnovers in their territory and came away with 0 points which came to be the difference in the game. It was our bad offensive play that lost us that game.

pepsyman1
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
giving up 16 points i hardly think is a reason to revamp the defense, which is mainly responsible for us being 3-1. The reason we lost that game was not the D. We forced 2 turnovers in their territory and came away with 0 points which came to be the difference in the game. It was our bad offensive play that lost us that game.

All true, but doesn't discount the fact that our defense, which gave up very little on the day gave up 105 yards and a touchdown in the last 7 minutes of the game. Other than the goal line stand, the Ravens moved at will after our go ahead touchdown.

X-Terminator
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Well, the one improvement they can make isn't realistic right now, and that would be to get better corners. Failing that, they should play their corners closer to the LOS more often than they do, especially late in games in situations like today. They know the Ravens have to throw and they have to get outside since they had no timeouts...why weren't they playing tighter coverage? It makes no sense, and I think that is why they continually give up scoring drives late in games.

steelreserve
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
The one and only adjustment we need is to STOP TRYING TO PLAY STRAIGHT-UP VANILLA DEFENSE. It doesn't work with our personnel or our system, EVER.

90% of the game, we're aggressive and shifty on defense, and our opponents absolutely cannot get their shit together. Then at critical times, we decide it's time to play it by the book, and we get picked apart, just like we did for most of last season and 2006. I have no idea why this is so hard for a group of professional football coaches to figure out, all of whom are skilled enough to design the "good" defense in the first place. Then again, they also wasted half a decade thinking Parker was a good running back, so ...

steelerdude15
10-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Let's get rid of the prevent defense, it doesn't work.

The Duke
10-03-2010, 10:31 PM
The reason we lost that game was not the D. We forced 2 turnovers in their territory and came away with 0 points which came to be the difference in the game.

This. Plus it let the ravens have better field position to score

once the offense gets better (ben coming back) it should get fixed. If it doesn't, THEN there's a problem

Delraich
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Let's get rid of the prevent defense, it doesn't work.

Sure it does. It prevented a win today didn't it?:hand:

Steel12
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, the one improvement they can make isn't realistic right now, and that would be to get better corners. Failing that, they should play their corners closer to the LOS more often than they do, especially late in games in situations like today. They know the Ravens have to throw and they have to get outside since they had no timeouts...why weren't they playing tighter coverage? It makes no sense, and I think that is why they continually give up scoring drives late in games.

I completely agree...it also made no sense to blitz on that TD to Housh either. Everybody keeps saying the scheme is designed to not give up the big play...well we gave up the big play.

oneforthetoe
10-03-2010, 11:54 PM
The one and only adjustment we need is to STOP TRYING TO PLAY STRAIGHT-UP VANILLA DEFENSE. It doesn't work with our personnel or our system, EVER.

90% of the game, we're aggressive and shifty on defense, and our opponents absolutely cannot get their shit together. Then at critical times, we decide it's time to play it by the book, and we get picked apart, just like we did for most of last season and 2006. I have no idea why this is so hard for a group of professional football coaches to figure out, all of whom are skilled enough to design the "good" defense in the first place. Then again, they also wasted half a decade thinking Parker was a good running back, so ...

Well we were not in a prevent on the TD pass. The Ravens caught Troy Blitzing. Saw a replay on NFL Network. Flacco recognized it and called Heap to the other side of the field to block Troy. We just have to give him credit for that play i think..

oneforthetoe
10-04-2010, 12:04 AM
double post

pepsyman1
10-04-2010, 12:06 AM

I agree with that 100% Especially when we are blitzing. When we know its a passing down and we've got people blitzing, a little bump and run coverage to keep the receivers from getting downfield for just a second longer would keep the ball in the QB hands just enough time to let our blitzers reach the QB. Flacco wasn't getting sacked because he was making sure to get the ball out pretty quick.