PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Steelers Kick Away Chance at 4-0

stillers4me
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Sunday, 03 October 2010 17:05

Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA1NDQ 3LWVkLXN0ZWVsZXJzLWtpY2stYXdheS1jaGFuY2UtYXQtNC0w)

http://c0020036.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/stories/J_Allison/Edravens.jpg
The Steelers' luck finally ran out and they have themselves to blame for it. Three penalties on a drive that could have closed the game out gave the ball back to the Ravens 40 yards away, and Joe Flacco and his offense took all of four plays to put it in the end zone.
Two false starts at home in those critical conditions? Chris Kemoeatu and tight end Matt Spaeth each jumped and may have cost the Steelers a first down that would have guaranteed a victory.............

http://ht.ly/19gYB4 via twitter:
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1090912409/PGTwitter_ICON_STEELERS_73pxREV1_normal.gif
steelersPG (http://twitter.com/#!/steelersPG) Steelers coverage

PG+ -- Ed: Steelers Kick Away Chance at 4-0 http://ht.ly/19gYB4 (http://ht.ly/19gYB4)

st33lersguy
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
The worst regular season game in steeler history and biggest waste of time ever

X-Terminator
10-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Worst regular season game ever? Are you serious???? This game wasn't even CLOSE to the worst Steelers game ever - or don't you remember the 51-0 drubbing they took in 1989? Don't overreact.

SteelerSal
10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah this was far from being the worst game ever.

salamander
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah... this was FAR from the worst game. The loss sucks but certainly not the worst ever.

tube517
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it's the end of the world. :sarcasm:

Worst regular season game ever? Are you serious???? This game wasn't even CLOSE to the worst Steelers game ever - or don't you remember the 51-0 drubbing they took in 1989? Don't overreact.

Dodt
10-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it's the end of the world. :sarcasm:

and i feel fine

JayC
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
the jaguars kicker just made a 59 yarder to win the game :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
10-03-2010, 06:14 PM
when you don't have your 2 time winning SB QB under center, you have to play mistake free football.

14 Total first downs
4/11 on 3rd Down
2 Sacks Allowed
11 Penalties for 88 yards
0-2 on Field Goal Attempts
0 Points off 2 Turnovers

That is not how you win games in the NFL with your starting QB, let alone without him.

stillers4me
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
the jaguars kicker just made a 59 yarder to win the game :chuckle:

:jawdrop2::jawdrop2::jawdrop2::jawdrop2:

The Colts lose........ :lol:

tube517
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, we lost today, but in the grand scheme of things, it's good to be 3-1. The loss hurts, but the 3 wins are huge right now.

:jawdrop2::jawdrop2::jawdrop2::jawdrop2:

The Colts lose........ :lol:

steelerdude15
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Nah, not even close.

Craic
10-03-2010, 10:26 PM

What? Huh? Come with me to a time in history.

It was Sunday, December 8, 2002. At Heinz field, it was 33 degrees, with a wind chill of 22 Degrees. The weather was thought to be in our favor against an inaugural team from the south called the Houston Texans, just 12 games into their franchise history.

They came to face the mighty steelers who were looking to get back to the AFCCG after losing the year before to those cheating, thieving, dirt..... (calm...calm... breathe.. back on track) Patriots. Our defense was stout, holding the Texans to 3 first downs, and 26 rushes for 37 yards. The net pass yards were 10. Total yards? 47. Mean while, the mighty STeelers put up 24 first downs, 128 yards rushing on 31 carries. 326 passing yards (294 net) for a total of over 400 yards of offense.

We lost the game 24-6 on 3 as in THREE turnovers that went for TD's. Two pick 6's and a fumble return. That loss pushed out of a first round bye that we needed-and we lost the division round to the Titans.

Don't even THINK about calling this the "worst regular season game in STeeler history and the biggest waste of time ever."

Delraich
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM

It was Sunday, December 8, 2002. At Heinz field, it was 33 degrees, with a wind chill of 22 Degrees. The weather was thought to be in our favor against an inaugural team from the south called the Houston Texans, just 12 games into their franchise history.

They came to face the mighty steelers who were looking to get back to the AFCCG after losing the year before to those cheating, thieving, dirt..... (calm...calm... breathe.. back on track) Patriots. Our defense was stout, holding the Texans to 3 first downs, and 26 rushes for 37 yards. The net pass yards were 10. Total yards? 47. Mean while, the mighty STeelers put up 24 first downs, 128 yards rushing on 31 carries. 326 passing yards (294 net) for a total of over 400 yards of offense.

We lost the game 24-6 on 3 as in THREE turnovers that went for TD's. Two pick 6's and a fumble return. That loss pushed out of a first round bye that we needed-and we lost the division round to the Titans.

Don't even THINK about calling this the "worst regular season game in STeeler history and the biggest waste of time ever."

I was hoping to live out my days without the memory of a few games this being one of them....That memory has a worse feeling then todays loss which is only about 7 hours old. So yeah today is far from the worst regular season game in Steelers history.

Steel12
10-03-2010, 10:57 PM

This is the first game I thought of too...good ol Turnover Tommy!!!

Galax Steeler
10-04-2010, 03:27 AM
I have never wasted my time watching a Steeler game. They have been some tough loses along the way but yesterday was a good game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey, is it too early for somebody to start blaming the O Coordinator yet?? I mean, we already have said its the worst game ever(for a 3-1 team with their 4th string QB starting)??

zulater
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
The worst game in recent Steeler history was the loss at Philly back in 08.

No shame in that effort yesterday. It was frustrating that we couldn't close it out at the end. Pre snap penalties at home shouldn't happen like that. But give the Rats some credit, they shut down Harrison and Woodley and to me that was the difference in the game.

cold-hard-steel
10-04-2010, 11:16 AM
No way on gods green earth was this the worse loss in steelers history.Every loss hurts to the bone,but at 3-1 without our top gun,i'll take it.Lot of things were goin our way.We just did not take advantage of it.One of the missed fieldgoals,just one more first down,coulda,woulda,shoulda.We are still strong and proud.We will be a force to be reckoned with as the games go by.

steelpride12
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Hey we killed ourselves with penalties and the give the Rats credit they came out with a game plan to attack our secondary and beat the pressure, we will learn from our mistakes.

SMR
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey we killed ourselves with penalties and the give the Rats credit they came out with a game plan to attack our secondary and beat the pressure, we will learn from our mistakes.

Right on!

HometownGal
10-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey, is it too early for somebody to start blaming the O Coordinator yet?? I mean, we already have said its the worst game ever(for a 3-1 team with their 4th string QB starting)??

You must have missed it in the Game Day thread, Gonz. The B & M'ing started up about Arians right on cue. :lol: "Poor Game Plan" was also cited by several around here as one of the reasons why we lost - guess they weren't watching the same game I was. :der: I seriously didn't think there was anything that bad about the game plan - the 11 gigantic fubars killed drives and in particular - ruined any chance we had to run out the clock in the final 2. :doh:

I look at it this way. BA usually game plans for Ben. Ben is suspended for 4 games and now he has to do the switcheroo and game plan for Lefty. Lefty goes down in the 4th preseason game and now BA has to switcheroo again and game plan for Dixon. Dixon goes down in Game #2 and now he only has one healthy QB left to game plan for - a 35 year old with Big Foot sized happy feet who hasn't started a game in 2 years. I'm shocked the man has any sanity left.

Texasteel
10-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Worse game in the history of the Steeler franchise. We need to cut Reed, fire BA, and execute 2/3 of the coaching staff. We are sitting at a miserable 3-1 playing our #4 QB and the season is all but over. :huh:

My God, what are the Colt fans saying right now.

ALLD
10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
This loss was not the fault of BA or Charlie Batch.

Too many penalties, two missed FGs, no points off TOs and #43 got suckered covering Boldin on the TD to TJ. Lots of poor choices and lack of execution to go around. Back to defense 2 minute drills.

salamander
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I've learned to just ignore all the naysayers around here. It just gets old. :noidea:

cold-hard-steel
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
We definatly are not in midseason form , and thats for certain.There is a lot of blame to go around for the loss.I would not start with B.A. or the game plan though.Maybe HTG was on to something about dredging down to your 4th stringer. I would not even dare throw a dart at Dick.We can't take away what the Ravens did. The loss is in the column now. No time for pointing fingers.

beSteelmyheart
10-04-2010, 06:35 PM
What is up with Jeff Reed this year? Any thoughts?

cold-hard-steel
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

well nobody wants to seriously go that route. They like to put the blame on something else.

stlrtruck
10-04-2010, 07:01 PM
What I find humorous is now people are all over my back with the loss. It's funny no one at work wants to talk football until the Steelers lose. See some ratbird fan friends of mine that want to call out the Steelers for whining and yet some how doesn't remember ray-ray doing his best impression of a cry baby a few weeks ago over the refs.

HometownGal
10-04-2010, 08:39 PM

All 4 of his missed FG's were attempted at the open end of HF. If you've ever been there, you know on a day that is a bit gusty (like yesterday) the pigskin can do all kinds of crazy things whether off the foot or off the hand. Honestly - I'm not trying to make excuses for Skippy here - the second FG yesterday was on HIM but the first one was a 49 yarder that the wind carried at the last second and it hit the upright and bounced the wrong way. I DVR'd the game and watched it several times. I can't pin that one on him, nor can I get on him for the missed 55 yarder several weeks ago. He's human and he's going to miss a few every season just like every other PK in the NFL. His kickoffs have been a bit better and Reed is usually clutch. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'd take Reed over any other PK in the NFL. :thumbsup:

JayC
10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey, is it too early for somebody to start blaming the O Coordinator yet??

No. Most of it was poor execution/penalties but there was a long stretch between our TD near the end of the first quarter and that long drive where the play calling was far too soft. Charlie isn't no HS quarterback let him throw the ball down the middle of the field and he didn't give him a chance to do that for 2 quarters. I'm just glad ben is back, a quarterback he actually trusts to make some plays before it's 3rd down.

NCSteeler
10-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I didn't see the game, but the way i understand it to have played out.....Does anyone think they should have took the safety and kicked the ball deep at the end?

SteelerEmpire
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
when you don't have your 2 time winning SB QB under center, you have to play mistake free football.

14 Total first downs
4/11 on 3rd Down
2 Sacks Allowed
11 Penalties for 88 yards
0-2 on Field Goal Attempts
0 Points off 2 Turnovers

That is not how you win games in the NFL with your starting QB, let alone without him.

Just another one of those where the Steeler's passion didn't show up... it was kind of boring....

Count Steeler
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I took great encouragement that while we did not have our #1 quarterback, our defense did not play it's greatest game of the year, our kicker was off, our concentration and discipline was off (11 penalties), we only lost by 3 points. Are you kidding me? I can't wait to play the rematch in Baltimore. It may just be like that game a couple years ago when we clobbered them. Keep the faith brothers and sisters, we are the cusp of #7.

HometownGal
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I took great encouragement that while we did not have our #1 quarterback, our defense did not play it's greatest game of the year, our kicker was off, our concentration and discipline was off (11 penalties), we only lost by 3 points. Are you kidding me? I can't wait to play the rematch in Baltimore. It may just be like that game a couple years ago when we clobbered them. Keep the faith brothers and sisters, we are the cusp of #7.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

The Rats should have anihilated us given all of the circumstances but it took a last-minute TD to give them the win.

MULLDOG24
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

The Rats should have anihilated us given all of the circumstances but it took a last-minute TD to give them the win.

Absolutely agree!!!!!:rockon::tt03::rockon: