PDA

View Full Version : Ben works with first-team offense

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Ben works with first-team offense

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
6-2-2010

If the questions were asked with the future in mind, Mike Tomlin answered them based on the present.

During Day 2 of Ben Roethlisberger’s return to the Steelers’ offseason program, he worked with the first-team offense just as was the case the previous day, but what made this seem a bit more significant was the fact all four quarterbacks participated in Wednesday’s on-field workout. On June 1, Roethlisberger also worked with the first-team offense, but Byron Leftwich was absent that day because of a previous commitment.

So it was not until today that Tomlin’s plan for a division of labor was revealed, and following the session he explained it.

“Because he’s missed opportunities, quite frankly, to work with some of those guys,” said Tomlin when asked why Roethlisberger ran plays with the first-team. “Of course, Byron has been doing it the vast majority of the offseason. Ben’s back in the building, so we put him in the huddle to get acclimated with the guys that he usually works with.”

The Steelers are in the unique position of knowing now that they will be without their starting quarterback at least for the first four games of the regular season, and so Tomlin is blazing a new trail for coaches in terms of dividing work at a critical position.

It long has been a mantra throughout the NFL that every backup is “one play away” from having to come off the sideline and perform on the field, but that typically refers to injuries, and nobody knows when an injury might occur or how severe it might be. This is a situation where the Steelers know who will be missing, and they also have a decent idea of the duration of his absence. For those reasons, planning for it is possible.

For his part, Tomlin said he will work through it in stages.

“As we sit here today, and that’s really all I’m focused on – what we’re doing this week, this section of OTAs – and what we really want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get re-acclimated and improve and work on his game,” said Tomlin, “and we want to continue to give Dennis Dixon his reps because he is a young guy. When you’re talking about working with four quarterbacks, reps are going to be scarce at some instances. For the purpose of this week, if there’s a reduction it’s going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch.”

It was another well-attended OTA session from a media standpoint, and that figures to be the case at least until Roethlisberger addresses the media. When he does, it will be his first public comments since he issued a statement in response to being suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in late April.

“I don’t mind the circus atmosphere because I can’t control it,” said Tomlin. “We’re trying to focus on the things we can control. We recognize as a professional football team that’s trying to be a world championship caliber team that there are certain things that come with being who we are that we have to accept, and we need to stay focused on what it is we are here to do, which is to improve. He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward.”

Tomlin made it clear that he sees this situation as a process, and that making a quick pronouncement on Roethlisberger’s demeanor over the last two days serves no purpose.

“It’s less about how we respond to this in the short term, and even further less important what we say about it,” said Tomlin. “It’s more about how we move forward largely in the long term, knowing that Ben has a commitment to being what we desire for him to be and what his team needs him to be, and that’s my focus.”

INJURY UPDATE: Both Hines Ward (hamstring) and Justin Hartwig (shoulder) have been regular attendees of the OTAs, but neither has done much on-field work. “Hines is getting closer and getting better. Justin is as scheduled,” said Tomlin. “Justin’s going to be limited in terms of some of the exposure that his shoulder might get in terms of contact. Of course the emphasis in OTAs is non-contact, but when you are playing in close quarters, things could happen accidentally, and we want to exercise caution in regards to him with that. It also provides an opportunity for some young guys at the position to get quality reps. Doug Legursky has done a nice job at center for us. Maurkice Pouncey is getting some quality work at center. And of course the same can be said at the wide receiver position. Hines is not getting work so it provides opportunities for young guys like Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to get some work.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-cf7a592d98a7

RushHard34
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
I got a text saying that Ben and Dixon will mainly take 1st team reps now.....what happened to Byron? Am i missing something or is Tomlin just trying to give everyone a fair shot?

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Going to be a circus working all these QB's in with the offenses. You practically have to work Ben and Lefty with the first team which is not going to be easy. Once again Anotonio Brown's name comes up and from Tomlin that is a big plus. This kid is working his butt off now let's see if he can keep the pressure pumping through training camp.

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I got a text saying that Ben and Dixon will mainly take 1st team reps now.....what happened to Byron? Am i missing something or is Tomlin just trying to give everyone a fair shot?

I think I heard them say on NFL Total Access they want Dixon to take more snaps since he is young and still has a lot to learn, but I am not 100% sure if this is what they were talking about.

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I think I heard them say on NFL Total Access they want Dixon to take more snaps since he is young and still has a lot to learn, but I am not 100% sure if this is what they were talking about.

Tomlin: Roethlisberger will talk soon

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will speak to reporters sooner rather than later.

Roethlisberger, who practiced again today, has not fielded questions since getting accused of sexual assault on March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga.

Roethlisberger did not get charged in connection with the incident but commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the two-time Super Bowl winner for the first six games of the 2010 season.

Goodell cleared Roethlisberger to return to practice late last week.

"He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger after practice.

Roethlisberger ran the first-team offense again today as a cluster of reporters watched from just outside of the Steelers' practice facility.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger and second-year man Dennis Dixon could get more work than Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch in the Steelers' four remaining offseason practices.

Roethlisberger has only participated in four offseason practices because of his suspension. Tomlin said Dixon needs more practice repetitions than Leftwich and Batch because he is not nearly as experienced as the two veterans, who have started 99 NFL games between them.

Leftwich has gotten most of the work with the first-team during offseason drills and appears to have the inside track to the No. 1 job while Roethlisberger is suspended.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684124.html

RushHard34
06-02-2010, 11:12 PM
^^^^That about sums it up lol

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Roethlisberger assumes control of offense

By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010

The media circus surrounding the Steelers' voluntary practices revolves around the return of suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the blurred line between the spoken and unspoken.

Now that Big Ben is back, it's clear that this is his team again.

No one is saying so, nor do they need to.

For the second consecutive day, Roethlisberger worked exclusively with the first-team offense yesterday. The difference is that stopgap starter Byron Leftwich was absent Tuesday but split time yesterday with third-year veteran Dennis Dixon in handling the second- and third-team offenses.

"Ben's back in the building, so we put him in the huddle to get him acclimated with the guys that he usually works with," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "What we want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get reacclimated and improve and work on his game."

Roethlisberger still hasn't answered questions about his off-field conduct, other than reading a scripted statement April 13 to apologize for bringing negative attention after sexual assault accusations in Milledgeville, Ga. He released another statement two weeks later to accept the conditional six-game suspension handed down by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger "will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future," but the Steelers have given no timetable for when Big Ben will speak publicly.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere because I can't control it," Tomlin said. "We're trying to focus on the things that we can control. We recognize as a professional football team trying to be a championship-caliber team that there are certain things that come with being who we are that we have to accept and we need to stay singularly focused on what it is we are here to do, which is improve."

The suspension, which allows Roethlisberger to participate in practices and preseason games, can be reduced to the first four regular-season games if Goodell sees a change in the quarterback's pattern of behavior. Tomlin said the Steelers are working to correct Roethlisberger's off-field conduct, and not just because of the two-game difference it could make on their season this fall.

"We're doing a lot of things with Ben, in terms of dealing with this situation, not for the sole purpose of meeting the criteria so he can participate," Tomlin said. "More than anything, it's about making proper corrections and moving forward with football and with his life. That is the spirit in which we're doing the things that we're doing with him.

"We have no control over the commissioner's judgment or when that judgment comes down or how it comes down. We're focused on the things that we can control, and that's the approach that we're taking."

What Tomlin can control is who takes the snaps behind center, even if he has a numbers problem with four quarterbacks to handle three units. Tomlin said Dixon will continue to split a share of the repetitions because he is young and needs the work. If there is a reduction, Tomlin said it will come at the expense of Leftwich or 12-year veteran Charlie Batch.

Leftwich said he hasn't talked with Roethlisberger - a friend since their days at former Mid-American Conference rivals Marshall and Miami (Ohio) - about how their roles will change once his suspension begins.

Nor does he intend to.

"I don't think I need to have that conversation," said Leftwich, a Steelers backup in 2008 who was re-acquired April 20 from Tampa Bay. "It's my job to go out here and try to make plays. If I'm the guy while he's gone, it's my job to win football games. That's what I'm here to do."

Spoken or unspoken, the message is clear: the focus is going to be on the Steelers' quarterbacks this season. They have no control over that, although they can determine whether the media circus becomes a distraction.

"Ultimately we'll be measured by our ability to win football games," Tomlin said. "That's what this is about. This is a distraction if we lose. If we don't, it's not. I'm committed to making sure it's not, as I'm sure everyone else is."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84174.html