08-18-2020, 09:37 AM

polamalubeast
08-18-2020, 12:48 PM

polamalubeast
08-18-2020, 02:16 PM
second full practice in a row for Ben

86WARD
08-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Dotson injured and carted off the field today.

86WARD
08-18-2020, 02:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200818/fb377225468ef939b26d5d7c41c4e5a9.jpg

polamalubeast
08-18-2020, 04:15 PM

polamalubeast
08-19-2020, 07:18 AM

polamalubeast
08-19-2020, 07:26 AM

86WARD
08-19-2020, 07:48 AM

:drool:

86WARD
08-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Watt and Banner has some words at practice today.

polamalubeast
08-19-2020, 02:36 PM

polamalubeast
08-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Practice Report: Aug. 19

https://www.steelers.com/news/practice-report-aug-19

polamalubeast
08-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Rudolph's reports are not good, at least for yesterday's practice....

https://steelersnow.com/training-camp-takeaways-eric-ebron-continues-to-impress/

Mojouw
08-20-2020, 12:06 PM
I'm not going to freak out too much about these interim reports. Either positive or negative.

For instance on Monday/Tuesday of this week; Chuks was supposedly forcing his way to the starting RT position according to reports. Now on Wed/Thurs of the same week; Banner is separating himself. That seems like a push between the two at best...or different observers seeing different things...

It is, unfortunately, almost certainly true that Rudolph stinks. BUT...even the short write-up indicates that one of the incompletes was on the receiver falling down. If he is running with the second and third tier guys, what if they run the wrong route and Rudolph throws to the proper spot? That's an incompletion but who was at fault? Same with drops or whatever...without more details it is really hard to tell what is happening...

Probably should all take a breath and wait it out a bit. Plus, it doesn't really matter until the words "Maybe Paxton Lynch continues to get more reps with the second unit" start to appear in the reports. Until then, Rudolph is the back-up QB for better or worse...

polamalubeast
08-20-2020, 12:19 PM
I'm not going to freak out too much about these interim reports. Either positive or negative.

For instance on Monday/Tuesday of this week; Chuks was supposedly forcing his way to the starting RT position according to reports. Now on Wed/Thurs of the same week; Banner is separating himself. That seems like a push between the two at best...or different observers seeing different things...

It is, unfortunately, almost certainly true that Rudolph stinks. BUT...even the short write-up indicates that one of the incompletes was on the receiver falling down. If he is running with the second and third tier guys, what if they run the wrong route and Rudolph throws to the proper spot? That's an incompletion but who was at fault? Same with drops or whatever...without more details it is really hard to tell what is happening...

Probably should all take a breath and wait it out a bit. Plus, it doesn't really matter until the words "Maybe Paxton Lynch continues to get more reps with the second unit" start to appear in the reports. Until then, Rudolph is the back-up QB for better or worse...

This is one of the reasons why the preseason can be useful ... 4 games may be too much but 2-3 games can give us ideas on the questions mark (like Ben's arm) or on young players ... But unfortunately even if I understand we don't have much information and the reports from Mark Kaboly or others might be interesting but we need to pay to see his articles.

And what I've seen, for the most part Ben's reports are positive and he hasn't had a day off but his motion for his deep ball seems to be a question mark, at least for now.

Dwinsgames
08-21-2020, 07:30 AM

spot on ...

this year it will be even more difficult than ever for us ( and the coaching staff ) to figure out position battles ... I normally go to camp myself and get eyes on key battles , this year not gonna happen .... coaches usually have more practices in pads , they have preseason games to use as tools to determine pos battles ...this year not gonna happen every year there is a guy or 2 from almost every team across the league that makes the club week 4 of the preseason none of those guys will do so this year .........

so 50-60 guys at the start of the season that ordinarily would be in the league will be pushing carts at local walmarts across the country or selling drugs on some inner city street corner because they didn't get a normal shot at the league ....

this season ( provided there is one ) will be far more fluid in terms to the practice squad and last roster spot or two is my guess

Mojouw
08-21-2020, 02:48 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2020/08/right-tackle-battle-may-not-be-determined-until-right-before-regular-season/

I think this is kind of how a number of roster competitions are going to go down. Especially when the "loser" of the competition is still going to make the final roster. Why decide until you have to?

Hawkman
08-21-2020, 03:42 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2020/08/right-tackle-battle-may-not-be-determined-until-right-before-regular-season/

I think this is kind of how a number of roster competitions are going to go down. Especially when the "loser" of the competition is still going to make the final roster. Why decide until you have to?

That’s the kind of battle I like.

polamalubeast
08-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Born2Steel
08-22-2020, 10:27 AM
IMO....A TE's ability to run block is important but not half as important as pass catching. So long as the effort and technique are there to hold a block for a 2 count should be long enough for an NFL RB to get past. The ability to not tip run or pass to the defense is the important thing. If the defense knows Ebron refuses to block then he only comes in on passing downs is a huge tip-off. Just making him an OK blocker should be enough. We all already know it will be in the passing game where Ebron will be most effective. At 6'4" and 255lbs he should be OK as a blocker with good technique, whether on a edge rusher or 2nd level.

polamalubeast
08-22-2020, 10:54 AM
IMO....A TE's ability to run block is important but not half as important as pass catching. So long as the effort and technique are there to hold a block for a 2 count should be long enough for an NFL RB to get past. The ability to not tip run or pass to the defense is the important thing. If the defense knows Ebron refuses to block then he only comes in on passing downs is a huge tip-off. Just making him an OK blocker should be enough. We all already know it will be in the passing game where Ebron will be most effective. At 6'4" and 255lbs he should be OK as a blocker with good technique, whether on a edge rusher or 2nd level.

I understand your point .... He just needs to not be awful in run blocking and have an effort on that and he's going to be fine I don't know if it will be the case but we will see when the season start... Of course,the steelers must use Ebron's strengths as often as possible.

Mojouw
08-22-2020, 11:46 AM

I understand your point .... He just needs to not be awful in run blocking and have an effort on that and he's going to be fine I don't know if it will be the case but we will see when the season start... Of course,the steelers must use Ebron's strengths as often as possible.

Starting his 8th season in the league during an abbreviated training camp with no preseason games to rep any new approaches and it is almost certain that Ebron will not make any great strides as a blocker. They tried to make Jesse James a better blocker as well with minimal impact and he was younger and came with less preloaded bad habits.

Ebron is going to be what he is and has always been - an extremely large WR that drops a few and also makes a few plays that make you shake your head in disbelief that he pulled it off.

polamalubeast
08-22-2020, 04:55 PM
Starting his 8th season in the league during an abbreviated training camp with no preseason games to rep any new approaches and it is almost certain that Ebron will not make any great strides as a blocker. They tried to make Jesse James a better blocker as well with minimal impact and he was younger and came with less preloaded bad habits.

Ebron is going to be what he is and has always been - an extremely large WR that drops a few and also makes a few plays that make you shake your head in disbelief that he pulled it off.

You're probably right about that, but the only thing I'm asking Ebron for the blocking is to at least put some effort into it and not be a traffic cone!

If he is Jesse James(for the blocking) I can live with that since at least he put some effort on that!

86WARD
08-23-2020, 04:23 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200823/dee304e8d57c130163ad890a907307e8.jpg

BlackAndGold
08-23-2020, 09:41 PM
^^^ Claypool catch radius is crazy

Per the reports on Steelers . com

Marcus Allen has been apart of back-on-backers (along with Hilton) and has been great. This transition to linebacker should have happened last year.

Gentry has greatly improved his blocking per reports. Kaboly noted on twitter that Gentry "upped his blocking big time"

86WARD
08-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Marcus Allen tearing up and dominating the backs and backers drill yesterday!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2020, 09:35 PM

Blocking has to start with "want to" and if Ebron hasnt been challenged to run block so far in his career, its on those teams. Have to be willing to do both, or else there is no value as a dual threat player.

Cant put a road pylon in at the TE spot who will not block in the run game. Otherwise its pretty obvious to the defense that when Ebron is in the game, its gonna be a pass. Or else its just the Steelers playing their 10 guys vs the other teams 11 in the run game. I cant believe the lazy clown seems to be complaining about hitting the sled.

BlackAndGold
08-24-2020, 09:42 PM

A lot of praise has gone towards Claypool.

Mojouw
08-24-2020, 10:49 PM
Blocking has to start with "want to" and if Ebron hasnt been challenged to run block so far in his career, its on those teams. Have to be willing to do both, or else there is no value as a dual threat player.

Cant put a road pylon in at the TE spot who will not block in the run game. Otherwise its pretty obvious to the defense that when Ebron is in the game, its gonna be a pass. Or else its just the Steelers playing their 10 guys vs the other teams 11 in the run game. I cant believe the lazy clown seems to be complaining about hitting the sled.

Here's the "concern" I have. And this is likely totally flawed. But Ebron's got muscle memory from about a decade of college and the NFL where he doesn't block well when he's in the line. Can 3 weeks of drills and low contact walkthrough change that? So cool, he lights up the sled this week but Week 2 in the pressure and pace of an actual game which version shows up? Blocking sled 2020 or what's on game tape until now? Based on my own FAR less intense experience playing sports and being a fan; I gotta put my bet down on "previous to now".

This likely makes sense to no one but me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2020, 11:20 PM
Here's the "concern" I have. And this is likely totally flawed. But Ebron's got muscle memory from about a decade of college and the NFL where he doesn't block well when he's in the line. Can 3 weeks of drills and low contact walkthrough change that? So cool, he lights up the sled this week but Week 2 in the pressure and pace of an actual game which version shows up? Blocking sled 2020 or what's on game tape until now? Based on my own FAR less intense experience playing sports and being a fan; I gotta put my bet down on "previous to now".

This likely makes sense to no one but me.

Blocking doesnt take some type of elaborate muscle memory like its a reverse triple-somersault from the pike position in diving. Its literally like pushing a Toyota 4Runner to the gas station that ran out of gas. There are elements of the approach, hand position, stance, contact and finish with leg drive that he has done at sometime in his last decade of football.

Most likely, Ebron has been given a pass on being much of a blocker, since he has really been a receiving TE since he was a junior in highschool. Still, if the Steelers TE coach likes the 1 man sled and the TE's use it, then Ebron hasnt proven he is so great that he can pass on using it. Also, if he isnt as good a blocker as McDonald, Gentry, Rader, etc. then he needs to work on it in practice. When the head coach is calling you out about brining the same energy to run blocking as you do to pass catching, its not about technique and muscle memory...its about effort.

After all your discussion on the defense disguising their coverages and needing hybrid players, you can surely understand that having a 1 dimensional receiving TE on the field, really lets the defense know that its strictly a pass play. For a former 10th overall pick, who never lived up to his potential to be not willing to block is really a recipe for him getting released or not getting a hat on gameday, IMO.

Mojouw
08-25-2020, 01:49 AM
Blocking doesnt take some type of elaborate muscle memory like its a reverse triple-somersault from the pike position in diving. Its literally like pushing a Toyota 4Runner to the gas station that ran out of gas. There are elements of the approach, hand position, stance, contact and finish with leg drive that he has done at sometime in his last decade of football.

Most likely, Ebron has been given a pass on being much of a blocker, since he has really been a receiving TE since he was a junior in highschool. Still, if the Steelers TE coach likes the 1 man sled and the TE's use it, then Ebron hasnt proven he is so great that he can pass on using it. Also, if he isnt as good a blocker as McDonald, Gentry, Rader, etc. then he needs to work on it in practice. When the head coach is calling you out about brining the same energy to run blocking as you do to pass catching, its not about technique and muscle memory...its about effort.

After all your discussion on the defense disguising their coverages and needing hybrid players, you can surely understand that having a 1 dimensional receiving TE on the field, really lets the defense know that its strictly a pass play. For a former 10th overall pick, who never lived up to his potential to be not willing to block is really a recipe for him getting released or not getting a hat on gameday, IMO.

For sure. It wasn't some elaborate defense of Ebron. I think he's a crappy blocker. A TE in name only and a package player who tips the offense hand when he's on the field. I also think 3 weeks in blocking boot camp isn't going to reset a players mindset. If you avoided pushing the 4runner for a decade, you aren't going to suddenly start leading the charge to do it.

Dwinsgames
08-25-2020, 07:01 AM
For sure. It wasn't some elaborate defense of Ebron. I think he's a crappy blocker. A TE in name only and a package player who tips the offense hand when he's on the field. I also think 3 weeks in blocking boot camp isn't going to reset a players mindset. If you avoided pushing the 4runner for a decade, you aren't going to suddenly start leading the charge to do it.

your hand doesn't really have to be " tipped" if he is on the field and I love the thoughts of some 2 TE formations where he and Vance are out there ...

5 0-Lineman , Ben , 2 TE , Conner , JuJu and Claypool .....

everyone on the field aside from Ben and Ebron have decent to excellent blocking ability and all the skills pos players are proven pass catchers .... so nobody really knows what you are going to do .. hell I like this as a base formation the problem is we have other wideouts I want to see get the ball too and a newly signed FB whom i think is going to help take Conners game to the next level

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-25-2020, 09:49 AM

When Mike Tomlin is calling out your lack of effort in blocking on the field, I would hope that player takes it seriously that he should start putting in more effort in blocking.

If the culture of the Steelers is right, then TE coach James Daniel will be on his lack of effort, the RB's he has to block for, the OT's next to him should be on him and most notably the QB should be telling him he needs him on the field and blocking is a part of doing that.

Its a talent vs effort situation.

Mojouw
08-25-2020, 11:49 AM
When Mike Tomlin is calling out your lack of effort in blocking on the field, I would hope that player takes it seriously that he should start putting in more effort in blocking.

If the culture of the Steelers is right, then TE coach James Daniel will be on his lack of effort, the RB's he has to block for, the OT's next to him should be on him and most notably the QB should be telling him he needs him on the field and blocking is a part of doing that.

Its a talent vs effort situation.

I guess that is kind of the part I can't wrap my head around. I'm not really explaining myself well. I agree that all the individuals you are listing are certainly getting in Ebron's ear about his blocking. I bet the dude is even trying hard in drills and working on his technique. But I just am not sure you can teach an old dog new tricks. Leopards and spots and all that.

I remember that everyone got on Willie Parker (from Bettis to the coaches to the lineman) to trust his blocks, be patient, and take the run where it was supposed to go. But until the day he retired, you could see that every single one of his instincts told him to put his foot in the ground, make a cut, and break that thing to daylight on the outside. To his credit, he mostly resisted that urge and did his job. But sometimes he didn't and sometimes it was to the detriment of the play. This isn't to say that Parker wasn't a good NFL back. Just that he had habits/instincts that couldn't be "coached" out.

I bet that during practice Troy P displayed ideal tackling form and mechanics. I suspect he did every single drill exactly correct. Then on game-day, he tackled guys with his hip or jumped sideways into them. Often that was what allowed him to make a play he had no business making. But they were still the result of odd habits and instincts.

All I am trying to say is that practices and drills are one thing. Games are an entirely other thing. Until Ebron does it game in and game out, I don't buy into the narrative that his blocking is improved. I suspect that once the games start, he reverts to bad/old/instinctual habits. Most players do.

It is the same reason(s) that I don't buy that Claypool is this instant dominant rookie redzone threat. I'm sure he looks amazing in 3/4 speed drills and I am also sure that he has the physical tools to be a monster sized problem in the NFL sooner rather than later. But once he starts playing against actual defenses and DBs employ all their skills and tricks, he is going to struggle while he gets up to NFL speed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-25-2020, 01:25 PM
I guess that is kind of the part I can't wrap my head around. I'm not really explaining myself well. I agree that all the individuals you are listing are certainly getting in Ebron's ear about his blocking. I bet the dude is even trying hard in drills and working on his technique. But I just am not sure you can teach an old dog new tricks. Leopards and spots and all that.

What you are describing is a fixed mindset. Look up Dr. Carol Dweck book - Mindset, if you are not familiar. Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens credited it as an important book for him as a coach.

Tiki Barber learned to stop fumbling the football. Tony Gonzales learned to be a better blocker, Bud Dupree learned to use his hands in the pass rush and get a counter move. It starts with "want to" and Ebron should want to be better, as an underperformed draft pick.

Ebron was drafted ahead of Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, CJ Mosely, Jarvis Landry and others. He needs to remember that and work on being better, not being the same guy with "potential".

Mojouw
08-25-2020, 01:36 PM
What you are describing is a fixed mindset. Look up Dr. Carol Dweck book - Mindset, if you are not familiar. Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens credited it as an important book for him as a coach.

Tiki Barber learned to stop fumbling the football. Tony Gonzales learned to be a better blocker, Bud Dupree learned to use his hands in the pass rush and get a counter move. It starts with "want to" and Ebron should want to be better, as an underperformed draft pick.

Ebron was drafted ahead of Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, CJ Mosely, Jarvis Landry and others. He needs to remember that and work on being better, not being the same guy with "potential".

Agreed. After how many years in the league does someone lose "potential"? However, he is still somehow only 27.

I will check out Dweck's book/work. Initial summary discussion I found sounds fascinating and her theories seem to make an intuitive sort of sense.

Another interesting note that this whole discussion brings up is that idea that Ebron spent time with two other NFL teams and kinda indicates that they didn't really practice blocking all that much. Or at least he wasn't asked to and certainly his head coach at the time wasn't monitoring things. Now, we are hearing how his time in Pittsburgh is different. Certainly adds some talking points to the "what does Tomlin actually do" conversation(s) that spring up from time to time.

Steeler-in-west
08-26-2020, 12:05 PM
They just want Ebron to get better at blocking. I’m sure they don’t expect him to become a top tier blocking TE, they just want more than a turnstile - maybe JJ level. I’m sure a big guy with quickness and strong armed can achieve that with some practice and a little technique learning and most of all effort.

polamalubeast
08-28-2020, 06:36 AM

polamalubeast
08-28-2020, 07:43 AM
The Athletic's Mark Kaboly considers Benny Snell to be a "much different and better player" than he was last season.

A grinding rookie backup in the Steelers' injury-marred 2019 backfield, Snell reported to camp 12 pounds lighter this season. "Any more of what we saw Thursday and Snell very well could sneak his way into a role in an offense featuring a healthy Conner," was Kaboly's observation following Thursday's practice. That is almost certainly hyperbole, but it appears Snell has easily beaten out rookie Anthony McFarland for direct backup duties. Snell could earn a standalone role if the Steelers commit to keeping a typically banged-up Conner fresher.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines

86WARD
08-28-2020, 09:34 AM

Charlie Batch had usefulness and knowledge...

Is Snell getting faster?

polamalubeast
08-28-2020, 11:01 AM
Matt Canada’s Influence in the Running Game

While it was expected that new quarterbacks coach Matt Canada would have an effect on the Steelers offense as a whole, Roethlisberger further expanded upon exactly what he is bringing to the table. Besides motion and play-action ideas, it appears that Canada is forcing some ideas into the run game in an effort to spice up a playbook that felt static and stale as the year went on in 2019.

“I think Coach Canada is bringing in a lot of uniqueness in the run game,” Roethlisberger said.

https://steelersnow.com/training-camp-takeaways-marcus-allen-gets-a-shot-at-linebacker/

polamalubeast
08-28-2020, 05:48 PM

polamalubeast
08-28-2020, 06:05 PM

86WARD
08-29-2020, 06:25 AM
What’s with Bens chin strap?

Dwinsgames
08-29-2020, 08:49 AM
What’s with Bens chin strap?

strange it is ..... maybe some sort of strap that lessens the psi of the strap because of the added width so his beard isnt cutting his chin ?

polamalubeast
08-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Chance that Lynch is our QB 3 is very slim.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2020, 12:18 PM

I thought he was the second coming of Brock Osweiler?

I guess its looking that way, if this is true.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2020, 12:40 PM

I never had much faith in him , BUT ...... I thought he could beat out Duck for the 3 spot at least . guess not

Born2Steel
08-29-2020, 05:58 PM

It goes from Colbert making positive comments to no scrimmage reps means soon to be cut. Hmmm...3rd string QB will be what it will be.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/4/15/21220953/steelers-qb-paxton-lynch-is-a-first-round-talent-hidden-deep-on-the-depth-chart-ben-roethlisberger

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2020, 06:41 PM
It goes from Colbert making positive comments to no scrimmage reps means soon to be cut. Hmmm...3rd string QB will be what it will be.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/4/15/21220953/steelers-qb-paxton-lynch-is-a-first-round-talent-hidden-deep-on-the-depth-chart-ben-roethlisberger

That article link you posted is from April 15, 2020. Things change a lot in the NFL from then to September 5th (cut down day to 53).

Born2Steel
08-29-2020, 06:51 PM
That article link you posted is from April 15, 2020. Things change a lot in the NFL from then to September 5th (cut down day to 53).

That was my point as well.

Took me a little bit to find this again. This was a thread starter from July 30th 2020. From April through July it's excitement. Now it's Lynch is the long shot because he didn't get reps during Friday night scrimmage/practice. In another thread a poster wrote 'until the Steelers release a statement either way I'm taking all reports with a grain of salt' or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing of course. I agree with that statement 100%. The roster will play out as it plays out. Don't get too excited about any preseason heroes and don't get too down on any preseason goats.(Not G.O.A.T.s) AND this is for 3rd string reps at that. The best 3 QBs on this roster are Ben, MR, and Lynch. Duck or Lynch will make the 53 and the other will run the PS again. Neither will get a hat on gameday roster as is.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/07/randy-fichtner-excited-about-paxton-lynch-declares-open-competition-for-no-3-qb/

RunNGun
08-30-2020, 10:05 AM
I watched some of the scrimmage they had the other day. 3 things I noticed...

1. Ben is rusty. Threw a pick 6 in the 7 shots drill. Didn't see a whole lot of good things from him in the little amount they showed.
2. I'm already sick of James Conner. He turned his back to contact and then got brought down in a 1 on 1 situation with Steven Nelson for no gain. I'm looking for Benny Snell to steal a lot of carries from Conner and maybe even take his job by seasons end.
3. This defense is filthy. For those that think they may take s step back...I have to disagree. Imo, this is the league's best defense.

https://youtu.be/KzvXlHMeNn0

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Don't get too excited about any preseason heroes and don't get too down on any preseason goats.(Not G.O.A.T.s) AND this is for 3rd string reps at that. The best 3 QBs on this roster are Ben, MR, and Lynch. Duck or Lynch will make the 53 and the other will run the PS again. Neither will get a hat on gameday roster as is.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/07/randy-fichtner-excited-about-paxton-lynch-declares-open-competition-for-no-3-qb/

The thing is that Paxton Lynch has had now 4 preseasons in the last 5 years (he was out of the NFL in 2018) to be a preseason hero or goat and with 5 years of post NCAA experience, he is getting reportedly zero scrimmage reps at this point of the year.

As you are a Memphis fan that tailgated with Lynch's parents, I understand the optimism and hope, but think it is substantially biased opinion of his status as the #3 QB on the 53.

BlackAndGold
08-30-2020, 07:22 PM

Born2Steel
08-31-2020, 11:11 AM
The thing is that Paxton Lynch has had now 4 preseasons in the last 5 years (he was out of the NFL in 2018) to be a preseason hero or goat and with 5 years of post NCAA experience, he is getting reportedly zero scrimmage reps at this point of the year.

As you are a Memphis fan that tailgated with Lynch's parents, I understand the optimism and hope, but think it is substantially biased opinion of his status as the #3 QB on the 53.

My "bias" is based on watching the guy play football for 3 seasons in college. Nothing more. The rest makes me root for the kid to succeed. Nothing more. Comparing the pure physical talents of Lynch vs Hodges and Lynch wins in a landslide. Above the shoulders is where the competition is right now. Bottom line is neither QB gets a helmet on gameday as the 3rd. One will get a spot on the 53, the other will go to the PS. Doesn't make much difference which.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2020, 12:15 PM
My "bias" is based on watching the guy play football for 3 seasons in college. Nothing more. The rest makes me root for the kid to succeed. Nothing more. Comparing the pure physical talents of Lynch vs Hodges and Lynch wins in a landslide. Above the shoulders is where the competition is right now. Bottom line is neither QB gets a helmet on gameday as the 3rd. One will get a spot on the 53, the other will go to the PS. Doesn't make much difference which.

Unless one is released and another QB is claimed off the waiver wire. Still, whoever is the #4 QB on an NFL team doesn't bode well for their future.

polamalubeast
08-31-2020, 02:12 PM

One of his comments...

■ Matt Canada’s influence on the offense is very evident. All the concepts that players said have been incorporated into the offense – the pre-snap shifts, motion and misdirection plays – are on display every day.

This is great to see.

Born2Steel
08-31-2020, 03:04 PM
Unless one is released and another QB is claimed off the waiver wire. Still, whoever is the #4 QB on an NFL team doesn't bode well for their future.

Look at the last sentence from post #56. "...roster as is." Just weird this is an issue for you.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-31-2020, 10:03 PM
Lynch seems like the second coming of Ryan Leaf.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-31-2020, 10:13 PM
Lynch seems like the second coming of Ryan Leaf. Ps. post 64. Opps 65 now.

Born2Steel
09-01-2020, 08:02 AM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/8/31/21406066/the-state-of-the-steelers-roster-special-teams-camp-update-marcus-allen-ray-ray-mccloud-curtis-riley

Meanwhile...back to Steelers training camp stories. Interesting article on cuts, new signings, and the possible effect on the final 53.

polamalubeast
09-03-2020, 04:19 PM
EBB AND FLOW: The offense, likewise, had its moments. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger produced touchdowns on all four of his red zone snaps via passes to wide receivers JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson and Washington, and tight end Eric Ebron.

Roethlisberger also completed deep balls to Johnson (twice) and Washington on the afternoon.

read more

https://www.steelers.com/news/practice-report-sept-3