PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten Postpones 2020 Season

tom444
08-11-2020, 02:18 PM
"The Big Ten announced Tuesday that it will postpone all fall sports, including the 2020-21 football season, due to the health and safety concerns brought on by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The conference will continue to look into the possibility of playing in the spring."

https://www.nfl.com/news/big-ten-postpones-2020-football-season-will-try-to-play-in-spring

polamalubeast
08-11-2020, 02:54 PM

polamalubeast
08-11-2020, 05:07 PM
This is terrible and he has a great point for the 2021 draft...

st33lersguy
08-11-2020, 05:13 PM
Spring schedule simply won't work. Sucks for all those involved, including the viewers

Born2Steel
08-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Except Nebraska. Scott Frost says they are playing even if without the Big10.

86WARD
08-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Big East is out. No Villanova Basketball.

86WARD
08-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Warren squashed that idea pretty fast.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-13-2020, 04:18 PM

Did they even play last year in the Big 10?

Nebraska football hasnt been relevant in 20 years.

Born2Steel
08-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Did they even play last year in the Big 10?

Nebraska football hasnt been relevant in 20 years.

I don't know what they did in Big10 play last season. I guess I could look it up.

Mojouw
08-13-2020, 09:29 PM
They've been like Northwestern tier in the Big10 for awhile now. They think they're still a power. But the Big 10 is Ohio State and then a large gap and then Michihan, PSU, and Wisconsin. Then another gap and everyone else

ALLD
08-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Will give the universities more time to indoctrinate the players with Marxist ideology.

st33lersguy
08-16-2020, 12:39 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29674110/ohio-state-qb-justin-fields-starts-petition-relaunch-big-ten-season

Well the players want to play and I don't blame them. This is potentially preventing them from elevating their draft stock. Though I'm sure this makes them selfish bratty kids who want to kill old people

Born2Steel
08-16-2020, 01:42 PM
The senior/junior players need to just stay in shape, stay healthy, and make themselves ready for the 2021 draft. I'm guessing they will still have access to team facilities and training staff? No football this fall sucks. But don't let this derail the entire plan.

polamalubeast
08-16-2020, 01:53 PM
I think the 2021 draft will be very weak....

Mojouw
08-16-2020, 02:58 PM
I think the 2021 draft will be very weak....

Why? The same players will be in it. Smart teams with good scouring departments shouldn't have a massive amount of trouble finding talented players.

Unless you think some large % of otherwise draft eligible players are going to petition the NCAA to let them stay in college.

polamalubeast
08-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Why? The same players will be in it. Smart teams with good scouring departments shouldn't have a massive amount of trouble finding talented players.

Unless you think some large % of otherwise draft eligible players are going to petition the NCAA to let them stay in college.

I believe that players who do not have their draft stocks very high or they are unknown at the moment will stay in the college for 2021 to increase their value...

Just look at the tweet in post number 3 in this thread....Players like Burrow, Murray and Mayfield would never have had the opportunity to show how good they are if the NCAA wouldn't have had football in their last year in college.

One thing is certain, the 2021 draft is going to be very unpredictable and the first round pick will have less value in 2021, outside of the first overall pick.

Mojouw
08-16-2020, 04:11 PM
I believe that players who do not have their draft stocks very high or they are unknown at the moment will stay in the college for 2021 to increase their value...

Just look at the tweet in post number 3 in this thread....Players like Burrow, Murray and Mayfield would never have had the opportunity to show how good they are if the NCAA wouldn't have had football in their last year in college.

One thing is certain, the 2021 draft is going to be very unpredictable and the first round pick will have less value in 2021, outside of the first overall pick.

I think guys will still leave school as soon as they can. Most guys only play NCAA because they have to.

Smart teams will scoop up talent regardless of the missed games. Dumb teams will do dumb things.

The NFL media machine will make more out of it than it really is. Mayfield and Burrow were late hype players by the internet, but NFL teams knew about them. Every year you hear about guys "shooting" up draft boards. When you track it down, they didn't move on actual NFL team boards, just the media boards. Edmunds is a prime example of this.

86WARD
08-17-2020, 06:45 AM
But a guy like Joe Burrow wouldn’t have had a film role of 60 TDs to sway teams. Sure he would’ve had a little bit of film, but he wouldn’t have been the number one pick overall with out that 2019 production.

Mojouw
08-17-2020, 01:02 PM
But a guy like Joe Burrow wouldn’t have had a film role of 60 TDs to sway teams. Sure he would’ve had a little bit of film, but he wouldn’t have been the number one pick overall with out that 2019 production.

Here is an article with more than a dash of hindsight that reviews how all the traits were there: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-joe-burrow-scouting-report-bengals-lsu

Sure, he doesn't go #1 overall, but that wasn't the original argument. The argument was that he wouldn't even get drafted or there would be less talent in the 2020 draft. To that, I gotta just say "Nah."

Good NFL times will find loads of talent in the 2020 draft class. If there is some Burrow style "late bloomer" a good NFL team will see that in the 2019 tape and grab the next "Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott" style later round starting QB.

Multiple players with NFL talent are opting out regardless of conference decisions and we will start to hear more each day. NFL pundits will trickle out a steady stream of stories about how without the season teams have no idea how to evaluate these guys....blah...blah...blah....and NFL scouting departments will just laugh. As they've had the foundations of a read on the potential 2020 draft entrants for some time now I suspect.

86WARD
08-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Of course he would’ve been drafted. I wouldn’t argue against that but he may not have been the second, third guy drafted. Maybe not even the third QB?

These guys know how to evaluate talent and I’ve been clamoring about that for years. The full library of game tape on a guy is of the utmost importance. Way more than any measureables at a combine. My point was just that theses guys may fluctuate big time without that final year of tape. If you have a good scouting department, in 2021, you may be getting a lot of bargains...normal first round talents in later rounds or you could be getting some first round busts...

Mojouw
08-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Of course he would’ve been drafted. I wouldn’t argue against that but he may not have been the second, third guy drafted. Maybe not even the third QB?

These guys know how to evaluate talent and I’ve been clamoring about that for years. The full library of game tape on a guy is of the utmost importance. Way more than any measureables at a combine. My point was just that theses guys may fluctuate big time without that final year of tape. If you have a good scouting department, in 2021, you may be getting a lot of bargains...normal first round talents in later rounds or you could be getting some first round busts...

I'd agree with all that. My only real point is that there will not be a significant drop in the available talent. It may be harder to find...

86WARD
08-19-2020, 07:53 AM
I'd agree with all that. My only real point is that there will not be a significant drop in the available talent. It may be harder to find...

The evaluation won’t be as accurate as it typically would be and for every “miss”, there will be a bargain to be had...early to say, but based on draft position, a team at the mid to bottom of the draft might have a chance at a Joe Burrow type...that could be scary...

polamalubeast
08-19-2020, 07:58 AM
Weak might not have been the right word, but it's going to be very unpredictable, especially in the first round .... If there's a good year to trade down, it's going to be the 2021 draft, but it's going to be harder to do too.

Also, without his last year in college, Kyler Murray would be in baseball with the Oakland A's right now!

st33lersguy
09-26-2020, 06:15 PM
Well both Big10 and Pac12 will play shortened seasons in time to qualify for Heisman and playoffs......for now.

Now both conference champions will definitely have to be undefeated to make it into college football playoffs over the top SEC team that doesn't win the conference. That certainly can happen with Ohio State who likely wins but most likely won't happen with the Pac12 champ

Born2Steel
09-27-2020, 10:05 AM
I thought PAC12 country was burning. How will they play any games?

Hawkman
11-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Man Penn State is really bad this year.

silver & black
11-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Will give the universities more time to indoctrinate the players with Marxist ideology.

Yep.

st33lersguy
11-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Big10 having an interesting season. Indiana took Ohio State down to the wire though OSU still pulled it out.

Seriously, no one can tell me it would have been better for the teams not to have a college football season because "MuH, vIrUs!"

86WARD
11-22-2020, 11:56 AM
When they take the proper measures and people follow protocol it works out well.

I’m sure Penn State rather not have a season...lol