PDA

View Full Version : Bouchette on the Steelers: What's two more games?

LLT
10-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Bouchette on the Steelers: What's two more games?
Sunday, October 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/20101003pd_hinesward_160.

The 18-game schedule is a "done deal," according to Indy Colts GM Bill Polian. So, let's see what an 18-game schedule might look like in the NFL.

First, they will eliminate two preseason games. That's good for the fans who have to pay for those games in their season-ticket packages and good for the owners who do not include them in their season-ticket packages and cannot peddle a preseason ticket unless they were printed in gold (hello, Jacksonville). It's also good for NFL revenue from television because the networks will ante up more for two more real games.

Those who will suffer from eliminating two preseason games are the players, young and old

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10276/1092268-66.stm#ixzz11IBBzIMH

BlastFurnace
10-03-2010, 07:11 AM
My days of an NFL fan will eventually dwindle to nothing. They keep doing stuff to destroy the league.

HometownGal
10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
The 18 game schedule is a travesty of an idea and as Bouchette so correctly states - it is the players who will suffer the long-term consequences, while the owners and the league stuff more of that evil green into their pockets. :doh: Goodell and his safety bullshit - what a crock of sheep shit. He's putting his own selfish motives above the players' health and careers. :upyours:

stillers4me
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
The 18 game schedule is a travesty of an idea and as Bouchette so correctly states - it is the players who will suffer the long-term consequences, while the owners and the league stuff more of that evil green into their pockets. :doh: Goodell and his safety bullshit - what a crock of sheep shit. He's putting his own selfish motives above the players' health and careers. :upyours:

I couldn't agree more.

We're seeing alot of rotation of players going on right now and that seems to be working well for Pittsburgh. They simply have to increase the roster size to allow for this across the board and compensate the oplayers for 2 extra games.

ALLD
10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
There will have to be an expansion of the roster and more rotation. The game will have a subtle change whereas once dominant players/positions will not be so much as teams gravitate towards a system more than individuals.

Galax Steeler
10-03-2010, 07:52 AM
They are alot of people that are not big fans of this but I think after it gets to going we will enjoy every game that the Steelers play. Longer season means we can watch the Steelers more.

SMR
10-03-2010, 08:02 AM
They are alot of people that are not big fans of this but I think after it gets to going we will enjoy every game that the Steelers play. Longer season means we can watch the Steelers more.

However, you get increased risks of injuries AND inflated player stats due to more games. More records can be broken which I feel is unfair to the players of years ago. I've just had it with Goodell. He is ruining the NFL faster than we can say "Wait!" I'm sorry, but I have to agree to disagree with you friend.

The Duke
10-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Of course everyone will enjoy every single game, but doesn't mean I'm gonna be happy with the change

If they increase the roster size to 60 I'd probably be happy

But in reality, goodell will add like 2 men to the roster and the gameday actives will remain at 45. I just expect to hear something like that....

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
My days of an NFL fan will eventually dwindle to nothing. They keep doing stuff to destroy the league.

I'm feeling the same way. The 18 game schedule is all about the $$. If they don't expand the roster also, it'll be a travesty.

CPanther95
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't really give a rat's ass about records, but I don't want to see the product get watered down. That's going to be a problem with the rotating players in an 18 game season - just as it is with expansion.

... and we're probably looking at both happening with Goodell's desire to go global.

X-Terminator
10-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Another brilliant idea by Der Kommissar and the owners. :doh2: I really hope the Steelers didn't vote for this.

I'm now 100% behind the players in the labor dispute. They had better do everything and anything in their power to avoid being completely shafted by the owners when they will be exposing themselves to more wear and tear on their bodies and shorter careers. If they're going to play 2 extra regular season games, then they deserve to be paid accordingly. Not only that, it's going to put more emphasis on OTAs for talent evaluation since there will be 2 less preseason games, and we've already seen how much THAT hurts teams given the players who suffered season-ending injuries. It's just a bad idea all around, but what do you expect from a moron like Goodell? :upyours: I agree with the Steelers' vet who said they should be going back to a 14-game schedule, but the owners would never agree to that because it takes money out of their pockets. The players would take a hit in salaries as well, but I think many of them will sacrifice a couple of game checks in exchange for 2 or 3 extra years added on to their careers.

Nadroj 20
10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm feeling the same way. The 18 game schedule is all about the $$. If they don't expand the roster also, it'll be a travesty.

Bingo.

All Goodell sees is dollar signs, Idiot.