PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Roethlisberger will talk soon

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Tomlin: Roethlisberger will talk soon

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will speak to reporters sooner rather than later.

Roethlisberger, who practiced again today, has not fielded questions since getting accused of sexual assault on March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga.

Roethlisberger did not get charged in connection with the incident but commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the two-time Super Bowl winner for the first six games of the 2010 season.

Goodell cleared Roethlisberger to return to practice late last week.

"He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger after practice.

Roethlisberger ran the first-team offense again today as a cluster of reporters watched from just outside of the Steelers' practice facility.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger and second-year man Dennis Dixon could get more work than Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch in the Steelers' four remaining offseason practices.

Roethlisberger has only participated in four offseason practices because of his suspension. Tomlin said Dixon needs more practice repetitions than Leftwich and Batch because he is not nearly as experienced as the two veterans, who have started 99 NFL games between them.

Leftwich has gotten most of the work with the first-team during offseason drills and appears to have the inside track to the No. 1 job while Roethlisberger is suspended.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684124.html

WindyCitySteelerFan
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I actually think he shouldn't speak. Really, regardless what he says now, people will say "I want to see actions, not words"

So....

Perhaps that's the way to go for a while, let the sideshow blow off for a while, get his time reduced to 4 games, and THEN make a statement.

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Tomlin: 'I don't mind the circus atmosphere'

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will continue to run with the Steelers first team offense and Dennis Dixon will get more snaps in practice, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Byron Leftwich returned after missing Tuesday's practice and no longer ran the first-team offense as he has done since his first practice with the Steelers in minicamp that began April 30. Roethlisberger, who returned to the team Tuesday after being cleared by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, again took all the reins with the first team.

Leftwich and Dixon split snaps with the backup units and Charlie Batch mostly watched during team drills.

"What we want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get re-acclimated and improve and work on his game," Tomlin said. "And we want to continue to give Dennis reps because he is a young guy. When you're talking about working with four quarterbacks, of course reps are going to be scarce in some instances. For the purposes of this week, if there is going to be a reduction in reps it is going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch."

Tomlin had a previous commitment Tuesday and was unavailable for comment after practice until today. He said Roethlisberger will speak soon.

"He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward."

Tomlin sounded as if he was unconcerned by the distraction that the whole episode with Roethlisberger has caused, beginning with the sexual assault lodged against him by a woman March 5 and continuing with the suspension of four to six games by Goodell.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere, because I can't control it ... Ultimately, we'll be measured by our ability to win football games. That's what this is about. This is a distraction if we lose, if we don't it's not. I'm committed to making sure that it's not, as I'm sure everyone else is."

The Steelers have four remaining spring practices before they break until the start of training camp July 30 -- one today and three next week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10153/10 ... z0plGBLyJr

solardave
06-03-2010, 04:17 AM
"Actions speak louder than words." "What you're doing speaks so loud that I can't hear what you're saying." Just do it Ben. Apologize later, go out there and win us all back on the field and by stating true off the field.

Killer
06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I actually think he shouldn't speak. Really, regardless what he says now, people will say "I want to see actions, not words"

So....

Perhaps that's the way to go for a while, let the sideshow blow off for a while, get his time reduced to 4 games, and THEN make a statement.

Exactly - screw the reporters, just get back to work.

venom
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Thats right , go out there and win !! Keep your butt out of trouble and we should be fine !!!

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Roethlisberger: Trying to make most of 'new chapter'

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010

http://i48.tinypic.com/takdu8.jpg

Speaking for the first time since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him for the first six games of the 2010 season, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he has started a "new chapter" in his life and that he intends to make the most of the second chance the Steelers have given him.

"It's been neat to really evaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of re-figure what's important in life," Roethlisberger said today. "That's me evaluating what I need to do. Looking forward to the second chance, second opportunity. Not just in football but in life."

Roethlisberger addressed more than 40 reporters after the Steelers' final practice this week. He took two questions before a team official ended his first Q-and-A with the media since Roethlisberger's off-the-field conduct stained both his and the Steelers' image and nearly brought down his career in Pittsburgh.

Goodell, who suspended Roethlisberger on April 21 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, cleared the two-time Super Bowl winner to return to practice late last week.

Roethlisberger, who practiced with the Steelers all three days this week, said he is grateful to be back with the team.

"I love football to death," he said. "That's why I say it's great to be out here with my brothers because they really are family to me."

Roethlisberger, who has been accused of sexual assault twice since last July, said he has been working closely with Goodell to "make changes, corrections" to his personal life.

Roethlisberger could have his suspension reduced to four games by Goodell for good behavior.

"I've put a lot (of thought) into my life, decisions that I've made about things," Roethlisberger said. "It's a new chapter and I'm looking forward to it and it starts with football so I'm looking forward to it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684300.html

BlastFurnace
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
He has shown me something by coming into camp in shape, because when this incident took place, he certainly wasn't.

He's a young man that made some dumb decisions. I'm certainly not going to throw him in the trash as a fan.

I'm pulling for Big Ben.

Prok
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I was impressed with how in shape he looks too. I also felt he handled himself really well today.

polamalubeast
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
He has shown me something by coming into camp in shape, because when this incident took place, he certainly wasn't.

He's a young man that made some dumb decisions. I'm certainly not going to throw him in the trash as a fan.

I'm pulling for Big Ben.

:amen:

venom
06-03-2010, 08:36 PM

CanadianSteel
06-03-2010, 09:04 PM
It was the Mullet I tell you, the Mullet is the cause of all this...... he got rid of the party in the back and is now all business :rofl2:

stlrtruck
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM

So....

:amen: but the media needs more meat in their articles and the only way they're going to get it is for Roethlisberger to speak.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger seeking 'a new start'

Friday, June 04, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger spoke words many longed to hear, even though there were not many of them. His delivery sounded sincere, humble, contrite, as did his body language.

The Steelers' quarterback took another small step forward Thursday when he spoke publicly for the first time since he read a statement April 12 in the team's locker room after authorities in Georgia announced they would not charge him with sexual assault.

He read no statements after practice Thursday. He walked off the field with Steelers public relations staff member Burt Lauten and headed toward a gaggle of news media estimated to be in the 40s on the field's edge. As some in the crowd pushed toward him, he politely asked them to be careful because one of the more petite of their group, a woman, might get jostled in front.

Roethlisberger then spoke briefly and followed by answering two questions before Lauten ended the interview that lasted two minutes. That was the plan; say something quick, take a question or two and live to interview another day.

Next likely will come the longer interviews, the one-on-ones -- Oprah? Larry King? -- in which Roethlisberger might bare his soul and provide more details of how he plans to change his life, which is something he promised Thursday.

"A lot of them are personal things, you know, which is just something that I need to do," Roethlisberger said. "But it's been neat being able to really re-evaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of re-evaluate and refigure what's important in my life."

Two questions were asked; many more remain, including the most important: How do you regain the respect of fans? What possibly can he say or do to erase the memory of what police and others say what happened in the early morning hours of March 5 in a tiny college town in Georgia?

A 20-year-old inebriated woman, who had followed him from bar to bar, at first claimed sexual assault, then asked investigators not to pursue the case. Five weeks later, Georgia authorities announced they would not charge Roethlisberger with a crime, although the district attorney gave a scathing review of the whole seedy scene and advised the quarterback to "grow up."

Roethlisberger at least appeared to try to do that this week.

Since his return to the Steelers on Tuesday, Roethlisberger has seemed relaxed, genuine and humble while talking to people around the team's facility. He has apologized to some for being what he termed a "jerk" at times during his career and promised they will see a changed man from now on.

He has told people that he got caught up in the "Big Ben" persona and that he wants to return to the grounded person he said he had been before he allowed all of the NFL success to envelope him. He is said to be turning more strongly toward his religious beliefs as well.

The words sounded good Thursday, but only his actions can win back fans he has lost over the past three months, on and off the field. The big job, of course, comes off the field, where his reputation lies tattered. But there will be pressure for him to continue to perform at a top level on the field as well. Otherwise the amateur psychologists among fans, the media and maybe even his coaches and teammates will blame any below-average performances on his troubles and wonder if he will ever be the same quarterback they knew before March 5.

"I'm looking forward to the second chance and a second opportunity," Roethlisberger said Thursday, "not just in football because I think everyone knows what you're going to get in football, but in life."

The football part will be almost as intriguing to watch because he will go through an entire training camp, and then be banished for at least a month by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's decree.

Roethlisberger also has told people he plans to be more accessible to the news media and he indicated as much Thursday, ending his brief interview by telling them, "I'll be talking to you guys a lot more."

That was a small step for Roethlisberger. He has giant leaps remaining.
QB derby virtually done

The Steelers have three spring practices left on the schedule, but really there is only one. That could mean the hunt for the quarterback to start the season is over, and may have been over long ago.

The organized team activity that takes place Tuesday will not be football, but bowling as Mike Tomlin takes his team on its annual outing. Wednesday, the team will practice at Heinz Field and Thursday, the last permitted practice, also bows to the Tomlin-era tradition of "hat day," in which players where alternative headgear that can range from baseball cap to more unique styles, and usually includes a much briefer practice period.

Dennis Dixon has not practiced with the first team and it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback. With the return of Roethlisbeger this week, Dixon has gotten more snaps and was No. 2 Thursday, but Leftwich ran the first team since minicamp April 30 until Roethlisberger's arrival Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10155/10 ... z0prNIkXhY

Craic
06-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Pretty good read . . .

Though come on Bouchette, this is laying it on just a little thick-

As some in the crowd pushed toward him, he politely asked them to be careful because one of the more petite of their group, a woman, might get jostled in front.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kMs_q1g_CmQ/ShBgyWUxmsI/AAAAAAAAEBU/4EKuErKvh4w/s400/bullshit_meter.jpg

Just a bit thick. LOL. That's ok, the rehab of Ben has begun. Least he is saying the right things. Its my hope-and yes, my prayers, that he truly has changed. But Bouchette... let's not make it a little TOO obvious shall we? :chuckle:

Kaeg
06-04-2010, 06:14 AM
"A 20-year-old inebriated woman, who had followed him from bar to bar"
That's the first I had heard that part. I've heard about the DTF and all that, but I was not aware she had followed him around.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Rich Eisen: Roethlisberger has a lot of work to do to rebuild image

Posted By: Andrew Perloff

http://i49.tinypic.com/23s7wg0.jpg

The NFL Network's Rich Eisen joined the show to talk about Ben Roethlisberger and his strategy for rebuilding his image.

Eisen said Roethlisberger has a lot of work to do. "Right now his name with synonymous associated with at the very least wasted opportunity ... at the very worst, heinous criminal acts," Roethliserger said.

Eisen said the current situation is a pickle for Big Ben and the team. When Roethlisberger practices with the first team, he takes reps away from the guy who will have to start the first four games. And Roethlisberger can only do so much until he starts playing again.

"All he's gotta do is start winning games," Eisen said. "Unfortunately for him, he may not be able to do that until Week 7 of the regular season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...#ixzz0puJPlYCj

Killer
06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Has Rich Eisen finished his 40 yard dash at the combine yet? doofus... wondering how long it will take for Ben to "win back the support" of Pittsburgh fans...saying Ben needs to take "walking tour" of the city, shaking hands with business owners, restaurants, apologizing as he goes........... blah blah ....give me a break. SB Ring #7 is on it's way. Swallow that Steelers haters.

Ben might be a ho' - - - but he's our ho'. Go Steelers!

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Going in circles with Big Ben

By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 4, 2010

http://i45.tinypic.com/2h2faec.jpg

Watching the Steelers' voluntary practices this week has been like the scene out of National Lampoon's "European Vacation," endlessly circling the roundabout only to hear Clark W. Griswold's grim reminder.

"Look, kids: Big Ben, Parliament."

Ben Roethlisberger spent this spring serving as a national monument to everything that is wrong with today's professional athlete, spoiled by success in the arena and a sense of entitlement outside of it.

Then, in a roundabout way Thursday, the Steelers quarterback broke his silence since being handed a conditional six-game suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in late April for repeated bad behavior after two accusations of sexual assault in a nine-month span.

Big Ben spoke but really didn't say much.

He took questions but really didn't answer them.

Oh, he talked for 2 minutes, 16 seconds about how he has "put a lot of thought into my life, decisions that I've made in the past." How he is "working closely with the commissioner on ways to make changes, corrections." How he is "evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things."

He just didn't divulge any details.

This wasn't the defiant Roethlisberger who hadn't bothered to shave or get a haircut when he read a statement April 12 — he essentially said, "I'm not guilty of anything, and I'm only apologizing because they are making me" — only to show up clean-cut the next day to meet with Goodell.

Yesterday, there was a change in demeanor. That Roethlisberger was relaxed and friendly with the horde of 40-plus reporters is a promising sign. Perhaps he has figured out that the media provides a window to the public and that he is going to need their help to repair his battered persona.

The Steelers are control freaks when it comes to their public image, so it's no surprise they have been tight-lipped throughout this ordeal. When Roethlisberger received his suspension, team president Art Rooney II conducted a conference call from his office with reporters who were next door in the media room at the team offices on the South Side.

It's no surprise the Steelers waited so long to let Roethlisberger talk and tried to present the warm-and-fuzzy image of a changed man.

This was staged, but not in the same way Tiger Woods scripted his statement, formally dressed before a hand-picked audience at a PGA club and making the prolonged gesture of hugging his mother. Roethlisberger was in his natural element, standing on a football field in a jersey and shorts.

After a one-minute statement and answering two questions — the first being how much he appreciated his teammates' support — Roethlisberger excused himself but promised he would be talking a lot more in the future.

Good thing, considering he didn't address any topics that should be touched upon before he can "close the chapter of the last couple years of my life and move on to a new one, kind of a new start."

We didn't get to ask Roethlisberger what he has learned about himself since that March 5 night in Milledgeville, Ga.; whether he believes he has serious issues with alcohol and women and whether they are being addressed; whether he believes his punishment is too harsh for someone who hasn't committed a crime; and — most of all — whether he's truly apologetic for his actions.

Roethlisberger should at least have addressed this: What do you have to do to win back Steelers fans?

Then again, maybe coach Mike Tomlin said it best.

"It's less about how we respond to this in the short term and really even further less important what we say about it," he said. "It's more about how we move forward, largely in the long term, and know he has a commitment to what we desire him to be and what this team needs him to be."

Not just a Super Bowl-winning quarterback but one who is able to admit he has made monumental mistakes and is trying hard to overcome them.

Until then, we're just going in circles.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684371.html