PDA

View Full Version : Legursky may keep Essex on the bench

stillers4me
10-02-2010, 11:06 AM
September 30th, 2010

Look for Doug Legursky to get another start at right guard Sunday when the Steelers and Ravens renew their rivalry at Heinz Field.

Essex, who sprained his left ankle two weeks ago against the Titans, did not practice again Thursday. What’s more the Steelers don’t appear to be rushing Essex back from his injury.

That is how much they like Legursky.

“It’s like Casey Hampton said, if he’s 6-4, he’s in the Pro Bowl,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Legursky. “Everybody says he’s little just because he’s short but he’s 320 (pounds). He has great hand placement and knows how to play the game. He’s just a good football player.”

When asked if Legursky is the kind of player that might seize an opportunity created by an injury, Arians smiled. “I wouldn’t surprised if he’s in (the starting lineup) for a long time,” Arians said.................................

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/30/legursky-may-keep-essex-on-the-bench/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

pepsyman1
10-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I've been rooting for Legursky to do well since I saw him line up as FB last year. That he was willing and able to do that was all I needed to know about him.

BuddhaBus
10-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I hope so. I like Legursky as well and have not been impressed with Essex at all.

st33lersguy
10-02-2010, 11:36 AM
It's good Legursky gets his shot, Essex isn't a good player

LLT
10-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I think I have been a Legursky fan since his senior year at Marshall. (Some of you old-timers may remember me catching hell for having a man-crush on him :chuckle:)

I know that people are a little leary of Doug because he is only 6'1.....but I seem to remember a certain HOF center from our 1970's Super Bowl teams, that was also 6'1...and "Iron Mike" did pretty well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I think I have been a Legursky fan since his senior year at Marshall. (Some of you old-timers may remember me catching hell for having a man-crush on him :chuckle:)

I know that people are a little leary of Doug because he is only 6'1.....but I seem to remember a certain HOF center from our 1970's Super Bowl teams, that was also 6'1...and "Iron Mike" did pretty well.

STOP comparing Legursky to any HOF centers............only a PSU product like AQ Shipley may be compared to such greatness.

Yeah, the man crush was pretty bad. Not as bad a the one I had on Alex Mack though.

LLT
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
STOP comparing Legursky to any HOF centers............only a PSU product like AQ Shipley may be compared to such greatness.

Yeah, the man crush was pretty bad. Not as bad a the one I had on Alex Mack though.

LOL!!!! Not comparing the talent...only that his height doesnt have to be a factor.

Looks like we both did okay with our sweethearts!!!!

Devilsdancefloor
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
i really think he brings a nastiness that we really have been missing in the Oline

Texasteel
10-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I love reading this stuff. There has been 3 or 4 of us on this train from the start. Of course LLT has been driving the Legursky Express from day one.

LLT
10-02-2010, 02:41 PM
i really think he brings a nastiness that we really have been missing in the Oline

Totally agree...Doug is trying to prove himself on every play!!!

Devilsdancefloor
10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I think that nastiness is contagious as well

LLT
10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I think that nastiness is contagious as well

I hope the virus works its way to the left tackle position....Starks could use a little "attitude".

GBMelBlount
10-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I hope the virus works its way to the left tackle position....Starks could use a little "attitude".

Agreed. I wish somebody would hide his teddy bear and binky...

El-Gonzo Jackson

Speaking of Shipley, be careful if you're ever out at a pub with El-Gonzo, LLT.

It is has been storied that he too has alligator arms...especially when the tab comes. :chuckle:

LLT
10-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Agreed. I wish somebody would hide his teddy bear and binky...

I just wish he would stop saying "excuse me" when he bumps into people.

JayC
10-02-2010, 03:13 PM
i feel much more comfy with legursky in there

SMR
10-02-2010, 04:48 PM
i feel much more comfy with legursky in there

ditto bub.

steeldevil
10-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I was not able to notice much of how Legursky played last game. I will be looking at him closely on Sunday. I hope he impresses and is a starter by Pouncey for a long time.

LLT
10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I was not able to notice much of how Legursky played last game. I will be looking at him closely on Sunday. I hope he impresses and is a starter by Pouncey for a long time.

The thing I like, is that he doesnt think that he is "done" until the whistle blows.

SteelerFanInStl
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Let's hope so. I like what Legursky brings.

steeldevil
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
The thing I like, is that he doesnt think that he is "done" until the whistle blows.

The way everyone should play. Good. I have noticed Pouncey plays that way as well. I hope it continues!

Craic
10-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I've definitely been on the Legursky train for quite a while. I think El-Gonzo and I talked about him last year after the first preseason game.

I really hope this means we have the interior line nailed for the next 12 years.

LLT
10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I've definitely been on the Legursky train for quite a while. I think El-Gonzo and I talked about him last year after the first preseason game.

I really hope this means we have the interior line nailed for the next 12 years.

I dont know...I have a feeling that we "might" lose Kemo next year.

The Duke
10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I dont know...I have a feeling that we "might" lose Kemo next year.

I thought he signed a 4 year contract last year?

or you mean trade bait/cap casualty?

anyway, I'd prefer to keep colon over kemo if needed....

Craic
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM

or you mean trade bait/cap casualty?

anyway, I'd prefer to keep colon over kemo if needed....

I'm not sure about that. We have just started to settle out our run game. I really don't want to lose probably our best Run blocker. ESPECIALLY on those Guard Pulls.

And yeah, he did. Actually, a five year contract for 20 mill. The Jets offered a 4 year 16 Mill, and Kemo came back to us.
That means he should be with us until 2014 unless he's cut. I sincerely doubt the NFLPA will hamstring themselves by allowing a tighter salary cap for vets. There'll be no reason for him to be gone.

Aussie_steeler
10-03-2010, 03:41 AM

If I remember correctly LLT you celebrated new years eve 2007 with your first mock for 2008.
This was the first time any of us heard of Legursky
That mock looked a little something like this

I have taken over the Steelers computers and will be making the draft choices for the next year....

Round 1) OT Michael Oher-Ole Miss
Round 2) CB Dwight Lowery-San Jose State
Round 3) OG Drew Radovich-USC
Round 4) DE Kendall Langford-Hampton
Round 5) C Doug Legursky- Marshall
Round 6) (I believe this is the pick we gave up fro Rossum)
Round 7) S Jamie Silva-Boston College

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

Okay folks....what says the Steeler Nation?
Do I get the job permanantly?
Or should I keep the day job?

Everytime I see Legursky get a mention I think back to that pimp LLT. ( I wont get too sentimental as I think that an OG will need to be drafted very early in the 2011 draft

I am also a fan of what he has done with the opportunities that he has been given. I would be very happy to see him make Trai Essex ride the pine for the whole season. Pretty impressive effort for an UDFA. I am really keen to see how he performs against the Raven D tomorrow.

LLT
10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
If I remember correctly LLT you celebrated new years eve 2007 with your first mock for 2008.
This was the first time any of us heard of Legursky

Everytime I see Legursky get a mention I think back to that pimp LLT. ( I wont get too sentimental as I think that an OG will need to be drafted very early in the 2011 draft

I am also a fan of what he has done with the opportunities that he has been given. I would be very happy to see him make Trai Essex ride the pine for the whole season. Pretty impressive effort for an UDFA. I am really keen to see how he performs against the Raven D tomorrow.

Yikes...Radovich never made an impact due to bad back...Silva still hasnt finished his forty from the 2008 combine...But I'll take Oher..Lowery..Langford...and Legursky.

Thats not a bad draft!!!

LLT
10-03-2010, 05:29 AM

Your right...that what I get for posting after working 16 hours.

SMR
10-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Your right...that what I get for posting after working 16 hours.

:chuckle:

86WARD
10-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I've always liked Legursky...kind of like you'd like that utility guy off the bench in baseball...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure about that. We have just started to settle out our run game. I really don't want to lose probably our best Run blocker. ESPECIALLY on those Guard Pulls.

And yeah, he did. Actually, a five year contract for 20 mill. The Jets offered a 4 year 16 Mill, and Kemo came back to us.
That means he should be with us until 2014 unless he's cut. I sincerely doubt the NFLPA will hamstring themselves by allowing a tighter salary cap for vets. There'll be no reason for him to be gone.
Remember everybody saying that Kemo was too slow to play LG and pull to the right?? Most wanted him to play RG instead??

Yeah, I think he is here for a few more years, as is Pouncey, Legursky and Foster. I still dont know if that is enough quality at RG. I still hope we finally look to upgrade OT in the draft. Could use a blue chipper to transition in there instead of Hills and Scott.

SMR
10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I've always liked Legursky...kind of like you'd like that utility guy off the bench in baseball...

lol, what a great description!