PDA

View Full Version : Real nice article by Kerry J. Byrne at S.I.

melblount
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
1. The 2010 Steelers will make a run at the modern record for scoring defense. The record for stingiest scoring defense in the Live Ball Era (1978-present) is held, not surprisingly, by the famous 2000 Ravens. They surrendered just 165 points all year (10.31 points per game). The 1986 Bears (not the more famous '85 Bears) are No. 2 on the list at 187 points (11.7 ppg).
The Steelers have a legit shot to challenge Baltimore's record. Defensively, they're firing on all cylinders right now, and they've surrendered just 11.0 ppg, against three pretty good teams (Atlanta, Tennessee and Tampa).

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/10/01/gotw4/index.html#ixzz11DIkACke

stillers4me
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Great article and welcome to SU, melblount!

It's nice to see some love from SI after that scathing article about Ben. I hope Ben comes back and makes the cover again...as superbowl mvp! :tt03:

melblount
10-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Kerry Byrne and Peter King have actually written some nice stuff about the Steelers this year. Actually, Peter King is the only sports writer I know of who picked us to win the Super Bowl before the season began! He's twirling the towel...

Dino 6 Rings
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
for some reason, I guess it goes back to the 07 season, I just can't take anything on Cold Hard Football Facts seriously. Not since they had Nate Washington as the best WR on the Steelers team. Seriously. Its a good article, but as long as team's continue to go into a Prevent Defense late in games when they have a big league and give up garbage points, I highly doubt any team will beat the record.

steeldawg
10-02-2010, 10:16 AM
for some reason, I guess it goes back to the 07 season, I just can't take anything on Cold Hard Football Facts seriously. Not since they had Nate Washington as the best WR on the Steelers team. Seriously. Its a good article, but as long as team's continue to go into a Prevent Defense late in games when they have a big league and give up garbage points, I highly doubt any team will beat the record.

I agree that prevent is so frustrating to watch.

steeldevil
10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
As long as we win I don't really care how many points we allow, but man would we be off to a better start of beating that 2000 Rats record if we didnt allow 2 TDs in garbage time so far.... Oh well.

Dino 6 Rings
Last weekend, the Bucs got 7 points of garbage on us, and the prevent almost let the Titans back into the game. Down 8 with the ball and driving! that was so frustrating.

stillers4me
I agree that prevent is so frustrating to watch.

I agree. But if the garbage points are coming from rotating the starters out to keep them fresh, I can live with it. Given a choice between injured starters and winning by a few less points....I'll take the garbage points anyday.

steeldawg
10-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree. But if the garbage points are coming from rotating the starters out to keep them fresh, I can live with it. Given a choice between injured starters and winning by a few less points....I'll take the garbage points anyday.
Ya as long as we win im fine with any decision they make.

Dino 6 Rings
10-02-2010, 10:23 AM
agreed, the win is what is most important, our coaches and owners agree with that philosophy, which is why I doubt, no matter how good we play on defense this season, that we will beat the record set by the Ravens. We won't keep starters in on the defense for a record. Proof was Troy P "picking off a pass" while standing on the sidelines watching the Bucs drive on our non-starters.

So with the Steelers concerned with Wins first, I doubt we'll break any records for defensive points allowed in a season. And passing stats will be way up on the Steelers as we have leads in games and the other team can't run the ball.

GoSlash27
10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
"Live ball era"? *scratches head*...

fansince'76
10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
for some reason, I guess it goes back to the 07 season, I just can't take anything on Cold Hard Football Facts seriously.

Me neither, and it goes back well before 2007 for me. Namely, when they essentially said Cowher would never win a SB (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_449_Cowher%27s_formula_for_failure.html) about 4 months before he actually did (along with the usual gratuitous Pats/Belichick/Brady ballwashing they inject into pretty much every piece they write, being the collection of slobbering Pats homers that they are).

Dino 6 Rings
10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Me neither, and it goes back well before 2007 for me. Namely, when they essentially said Cowher would never win a SB (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_449_Cowher%27s_formula_for_failure.html) about 4 months before he actually did (along with the usual gratuitous Pats/Belichick/Brady ballwashing they inject into pretty much every piece they write, being the collection of slobbering Pats homers that they are).

Didn't some idiot come on the old site using that name screaming that we should have been starting Moore over Parker...and then we went on to win the SuperBowl with Parker as the starter? Yeah, pretty sure that happened as well.

I remember going through that site and tearing up its "facts" because it was all really opinion based. They had all kinds of "fact" nonsense on there and rated guys like Nate Washington over Ward and Holmes in the WR category. I'm pretty sure I put that site on my personal "banned list".

stillers4me
10-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Are you guys confusing the blog site called Cold Hard football Facts with this Sports Illustrated article??

LLT
10-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Agreed...I'll take a another Lombardi over the "stingiest scoring defense title" anyday. (Besides NOONE will claim that the Ravens had the best defense ever..that title belongs SOLELY to the Steelers of the 70's)

LLT
10-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Didn't some idiot come on the old site using that name screaming that we should have been starting Moore over Parker...and then we went on to win the SuperBowl with Parker as the starter?.

Yep...I remember that tool. By his own "rules" Ben should have been our starting RB since he had the highest YPC of any player on the team.

...what a numbnuts he was.

X-Terminator
10-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Yep...I remember that tool. By his own "rules" Ben should have been our starting RB since he had the highest YPC of any player on the team.

...what a numbnuts he was.

Ah yes, the brilliance that was UltimateFootballNetwork, aka Ultimate Fuck Nuckle. He also said that Mendenhall was a bust and would never be a good RB. :lol:

I kinda hope he finds SU someday, just so I can kick him in his e-balls again!

LLT
10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Ah yes, the brilliance that was UltimateFootballNetwork, aka Ultimate Fuck Nuckle. He also said that Mendenhall was a bust and would never be a good RB. :lol:

I kinda hope he finds SU someday, just so I can kick him in his e-balls again!

LOL@"Uncle Fuck Knuckle"

Yea...he declared Mendy a bust after his injured rookie season.

steelerdude15
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
That would be a great record to break and hopefully the D can do that, but first we need to stop the prevent defense.

SteelGhost
10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't give a rat's ass for the 2000 rats' defense :chuckle: I just want a 7th Lombardi :tt02: