PDA

View Full Version : Colberts Last Year With The Steelers.

Shoes
12-11-2019, 01:24 PM
There have been whispers of this for a while. If he moves on who would you hire? What about Aikman?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086813/article/troy-aikman-admits-eyeing-gm-role-not-with-cowboys

Mojouw
12-11-2019, 01:32 PM
No way. If Colbert rides off into the sunset while Tomlin is still the coach, I think you promote whoever is being groomed internally. That person knows the style of players that the team is looking for in their system and has been part of a track record of above average success in player evaluation and development.

No way I seriously consider turning to an outsider. This is not a moribund franchise in need to a dramatic shake-up with a record of recent draft and FA "busts" that often does and should have an owner looking externally for a candidate.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Simple answer unless he is retiring! Pay the man and give him whatever he wants!

- - - Updated - - -

I will throw a name out there though and think Jimmy Johnson would make a great GM if he choose to do it!

tube517
12-11-2019, 02:02 PM
What is Omar Khan's position now? Is he higher than a GM?

Wasn't he supposed to be the one groomed to take over from Colbert?

Shoes
12-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Not sure but I thought he was a bean counter.

Mojouw
12-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Steelers split the front office into two sides - finding players and contracts.

Colbert picks the players and Khan figures out how to pay them.

Their #2's are Brandon Hunt and Samir Sulieman.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/

st33lersguy
12-11-2019, 02:23 PM
I say promote Khan. He's been doing well as a capologist

Moose
12-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Bill Cowher ? Just throwing a name out. Definitely want someone who know's the Rooney family and what the Steeler's history is all about.

HollywoodSteel
12-11-2019, 02:25 PM
I don’t think Colbert retires until Ben does. He spent the last year putting together an incredible defense, with great pick ups and maneuvering. I think he’ll want a chance to reap the rewards of work.

The thing we might have to worry about is the guy from the Panthers trying to steal front office personnel from us. Colbert probably won’t leave, but people from his department might.

I forgot who the guy is, but someone in the department was a key figure in pushing for the Minkah trade. Whoever that guy is, that’s a guy I want to keep.

Mojouw
12-11-2019, 02:28 PM
I don’t think Colbert retires until Ben does. He spent the last year putting together an incredible defense, with great pick ups and maneuvering. I think he’ll want a chance to reap the rewards of work.

The thing we might have to worry about is the guy from the Panthers trying to steal front office personnel from us. Colbert probably won’t leave, but people from his department might.

I forgot who the guy is, but someone in the department was a key figure in pushing for the Minkah trade. Whoever that guy is, that’s a guy I want to keep.

Brandon Hunt, Colbert's heir apparent and the current director of Pro Scouting.

- - - Updated - - -

Bill Cowher ? Just throwing a name out. Definitely want someone who know's the Rooney family and what the Steeler's history is all about.

With their first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Alonzo Jackson.

Fire Goodell
12-11-2019, 02:32 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xAUfRS8NsJk/TNRlUGJ9haI/AAAAAAAAA-g/UzkbyCqUfbI/s1600/KHAAAN.bmp

fansince'76
12-11-2019, 02:55 PM

From what I remember, he and ARII didn't get along. And now that Dan is no longer around to mediate between them...

HollywoodSteel
12-11-2019, 04:28 PM
- - - Updated - - -

With their first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Alonzo Jackson.

Okay, that was just cold... LOL.

But I definitely get your point. Cowher might not have the best record with talent evaluation. Plus it would just be weird putting him with Tomlin. If the Steelers ever win another Super Bowl people will once again say that Tomlin did it with Cowher’s players.

pczach
12-11-2019, 05:05 PM

"Who the hell wants this Roethlisberger guy?"

Mojouw
12-11-2019, 05:07 PM
"Who the hell wants this Roethlisberger guy?"

I want the big ole guard! QBs are for sissies!

AtlantaDan
12-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Cowher and his wife are New York City residents - Cowher says he loves life in the big city. And in the excellent A Football Life Cowher’s family said the fishbowl existence of being with the Steelers in Pittsburgh contributed to him walking away.

Add to that Cowher cashes a nice check from CBS and at this stage of his life probably has no interest in putting in the hours required for a NFL front office (or for that matter coaching) job

Some successful head coaches are lifers while others like Cowher, Tony Dungy and (way back in the day) John Madden cashed out for less stressful TV gigs while enjoying life at a relatively early age.

FWIW I would guess the Steelers would promote internally if Panthers owner David Tepper hires Colbert or Omar Kahn away, as ESPN reports he may try to do

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28247681/sources-think-panthers-owner-david-tepper-considering-steelers-executives

Meanwhile Florio at PFT has replaced the Tomlin to Washington rumor with a Tomlin to Carolina rumor :stirthepot:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/outside-the-box-coaching-hire-isnt-out-of-the-question-in-carolina/

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Seriously nobody want Jimmy Johnson after the Walker trade ? Think he would make a great GM! Not sold on Cowher as a GM. Neither probably want the job and are happy broadcasting!

HollywoodSteel
12-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Cowher and his wife are New York City residents - Cowher says he loves life in the big city. And in the excellent A Football Life Cowher’s family said the fishbowl existence of being with the Steelers in Pittsburgh contributed to him walking away.

Add to that Cowher cashes a nice check from CBS and at this stage of his life probably has no interest in putting in the hours required for a NFL front office (or for that matter coaching) job

Some successful head coaches are lifers while others like Cowher, Tony Dungy and (way back in the day) John Madden cashed out for less stressful TV gigs while enjoying life at a relatively early age.

FWIW I would guess the Steelers would promote internally if Panthers owner David Tepper hires Colbert or Omar Kahn away, as ESPN reports he may try to do

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28247681/sources-think-panthers-owner-david-tepper-considering-steelers-executives

Meanwhile Florio at PFT has replaced the Tomlin to Washington rumor with a Tomlin to Carolina rumor :stirthepot:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/outside-the-box-coaching-hire-isnt-out-of-the-question-in-carolina/

Tomlin will never leave Pittsburgh voluntarily. It’s pretty much the best coaching gig in football.

And I don’t see any reason Colbert would either. No reason to make a lateral move out of the Burgh except for family situations like Munch.

But Colbert is building something special here. He isn’t interested in starting over. He’ll stay here until he retires.

They can only steal someone they can promote.

BlackAndGold
12-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Brandon Hunt is the future GM, would be shocked if he wasn't.

EzraTank
12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Totally agree on Cowher. I watched his A FOOTBALL LIFE on the NFL Network and he's quite comfortable in his current gig at CBS in NY City. He loves living in NY City, his new wife is a rocker that plays gigs in the city and he has his NC beach house to spend with this kids/grand kids. Why the heck would anyone give that up to deal with the pressures of being a GM?

steelreserve
12-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Clearly, the thing to do is for everyone on this message board to apply and see who gets the closest.

And then that person can tell everyone else to shut up because they're just ordinary fans who have no right to have an opinion about what a professional GM should do.

I mean, they could say that more than they do already.

GoSlash27
12-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Clearly, the thing to do is for everyone on this message board to apply and see who gets the closest.

And then that person can tell everyone else to shut up because they're just ordinary fans who have no right to have an opinion about what a professional GM should do.

Hell, you have a *right* to an opinion. You just have to remember that your opinion doesn't matter. ;)

AtlantaDan
12-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Interview with Panthers owner David Tepper on his hiring plans indicates, assuming he is not blowing smoke, that what Tepper is looking to fill is not the type of job Colbert would be interested in

Based on what Tepper said the day he fired Ron Rivera (https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1201996758416547840), I thought he would hire an assistant GM and a VP of football operations. Turns out, he will make one hire, with a title to be established later. The head coach will likely be hired first, then have input on who the incoming executive will be.

“You’d like to have the head coach have some input into the AGM because that AGM will be involved in certain things that the head coaches is involved in too—training room, health and safety, the strength coach, sports science, all those things go together,” Tepper said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/12/david-tepper-carolina-panthers-cam-newton-head-coach-search-nfl-meetings

Butch
12-12-2019, 08:51 PM

I find the part I underlined to be interesting. When the coaching job for the cowboys came open and Jerry ended up getting Wade Philips there was also an interview with Cowher. The breaking point for Cowher was he wanted to make player personnel decisions and that was Jerry's job who was not about to go quietly into the night. So if Cowher was really concerned about being in a "Fishbowl" in Pittsburgh why was he interviewing for the job in Dallas? He had to know that saying he wanted to make player personnel decisions would not fly with Jerry, but IDK.

teegre
12-13-2019, 06:43 AM
I find the part I underlined to be interesting. When the coaching job for the cowboys came open and Jerry ended up getting Wade Philips there was also an interview with Cowher. The breaking point for Cowher was he wanted to make player personnel decisions and that was Jerry's job who was not about to go quietly into the night. So if Cowher was really concerned about being in a "Fishbowl" in Pittsburgh why was he interviewing for the job in Dallas? He had to know that saying he wanted to make player personnel decisions would not fly with Jerry, but IDK.

I’ve heard Cowher state (several times) the fishbowl analogy. Think about how this board is hyper-critical of everything that the Steelers do. It’s a small version of the city of Pittsburgh. The Steelers HC job is highly coveted, but it’s also extremely stressful.

As far as Dallas goes, Jerrah has money. So, he can lure just about anyone into an interview. But, as Cowher states: taking the job is a different story. Why? Jerrah wants control (which scares all of the good coaches away).

Butch
12-14-2019, 05:47 AM
I’ve heard Cowher state (several times) the fishbowl analogy. Think about how this board is hyper-critical of everything that the Steelers do. It’s a small version of the city of Pittsburgh. The Steelers HC job is highly coveted, but it’s also extremely stressful.

As far as Dallas goes, Jerrah has money. So, he can lure just about anyone into an interview. But, as Cowher states: taking the job is a different story. Why? Jerrah wants control (which scares all of the good coaches away).

Yes I get that coaching in Pittsburgh is a fishbowl, but so is Dallas and yes money is lucrative, but if you are truly so opposed to the fishbowl I don't think any amount of money would lure you to wok in that system. Not only is that place a fishbowl it's a damn 3 ring circus. In the end I think Bill realized that was the case and exited stage left as quickly as he could.

Hawkman
12-14-2019, 07:12 AM
Colbert’s going to be a tough guy to replace. Being from Richmond I get to see the Redskin “shit show” on a routine bases. We don’t really know how good we have it. He’s whiffed a few times, but man, he’s knocked it out of the park. This season in particular.

43Hitman
12-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Colbert’s going to be a tough guy to replace. Being from Richmond I get to see the Redskin “shit show” on a routine bases. We don’t really know how good we have it. He’s whiffed a few times, but man, he’s knocked it out of the park. This season in particular.

And the church said, "AMEN".

pczach
12-14-2019, 08:00 AM

Correctamundo!

teegre
12-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Colbert drafted Senquez Golson.

Colbert can take his “I traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick” and hit the road!!!

AtlantaDan
01-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Steelers split the front office into two sides - finding players and contracts.

Colbert picks the players and Khan figures out how to pay them.

Their #2's are Brandon Hunt and Samir Sulieman.

https://www.steelers.com/team/front-office-roster/

Panthers owner and former Steelers minority owner David Tepper poaches another one from the Steelers front office by hiring Samir Sulieman

Samir Suleiman, who spent the past eight years in the Steelers front office as football administration coordinator is joining the Carolina Panthers.

Carolina owner David Tepper, a former minority owner with the Steelers, hired Suleiman to oversee the salary cap, one of many tasks Suleiman also performed for the Steelers.

In addition to managing the salary cap, Suleiman also helped with player contract negotiations, team logistics and scouting....

He is the second high-ranking person in the Steelers front office to be lured away by Tepper in the past 13 months. Mark Hart, who was vice president of planning and development with the Steelers, left in December 2018 to become vice president of development with the Panthers.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/01/20/Steelers-lose-member-of-front-office-to-the-Carolina-Panthers-Samir-Suleiman-Kevin-Colbert-Art-Rooney-II/stories/202001200060

Mojouw
01-20-2020, 12:28 PM
Panthers owner and former Steelers minority owner David Tepper poaches another one from the Steelers front office by hiring Samir Sulieman

Samir Suleiman, who spent the past eight years in the Steelers front office as football administration coordinator is joining the Carolina Panthers.

Carolina owner David Tepper, a former minority owner with the Steelers, hired Suleiman to oversee the salary cap, one of many tasks Suleiman also performed for the Steelers.

In addition to managing the salary cap, Suleiman also helped with player contract negotiations, team logistics and scouting....

He is the second high-ranking person in the Steelers front office to be lured away by Tepper in the past 13 months. Mark Hart, who was vice president of planning and development with the Steelers, left in December 2018 to become vice president of development with the Panthers.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/01/20/Steelers-lose-member-of-front-office-to-the-Carolina-Panthers-Samir-Suleiman-Kevin-Colbert-Art-Rooney-II/stories/202001200060

Bound to happen. I wonder if the Panthers start going the way the Steelers do with the lack of upfront money or if they do what basically every other NFL team does? Be interesting to see if the contract structure was a Khan-Sulieman thing or maybe coming down from ownership?

AtlantaDan
01-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Bound to happen. I wonder if the Panthers start going the way the Steelers do with the lack of upfront money or if they do what basically every other NFL team does? Be interesting to see if the contract structure was a Khan-Sulieman thing or maybe coming down from ownership?

Tepper, wealthiest owner in the NFL now that Paul Allen has passed away, made his billions running a hedge fund so he presumably has some strong views on financing

He already broke the NFL norm with the length of the 7 year/$60 million contract to Matt Rhule that the Giants refused to match and which allegedly pissed off other owners by throwing that kind of money at a relatively young college coach with no NFL HC experience

But if Tepper is seeking to bring in Steelers front office personnel there apparently is at least some buy in by Tepper to the Steeler Way

Craic
01-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Hell, you have a *right* to an opinion. You just have to remember that your opinion doesn't matter. ;)

Or equals fact. That's been my only gripe this entire time. It's the posts that where someone thinks (s)he has the absolute truth and anyone who disagrees, including the coaches and ownership, is stupid, that really gets my goat.

(Steelreserve's posts, on the other hand, are usually more along the lines of, "let me put down whatever I'm eating and swallow that last drink of whatever's in my cup before I read his post" types of posts. :chuckle: )

st33lersguy
01-20-2020, 10:10 PM
Hey Tepper, you want Randy Fichtner for something?