PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com: Hearing from Mike Tomlin

stillers4me
09-30-2010, 07:02 PM
On announcing starters, fines, players’ backgrounds

Throughout the 2010 NFL season, Coach Mike Tomlin will provide his insight and observations to Steelers.com on a variety of topics pertaining to the team and the National Football League.

Q. Two different times this year, you have had situations where the starting quarterback was injured, and you chose to announce the replacement almost immediately. Why do it that way?

A. Because I want to get about the business of preparing for the football game. I know the announcement means nothing to our football team because they’re readying themselves for action, but I’m trying to limit the amount of questions and things they have to deal with in order to prepare for the game. I want these guys focused on what we’re doing, which is preparing for the game. If I make the announcement, the story blows over, it’s out there, and the guys are not fielding questions all week about who is the quarterback and the ramifications if so-and-so is the quarterback. I think it creates somewhat of a distraction in today’s NFL – as the media is a big part of what we do. Sometimes you make decisions about announcements and things relative to that, and I think (the quarterback) is one of those things that is quickly becoming a potential distraction for football teams, when you don’t attack it aggressively....................
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hearing-from-Mike-Tomlin/eda75585-25a2-490d-b64d-c20f0f0d4d26?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SMR
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Tomlin is one sharp coach. He knows what he's doing and I love that!