PDA

View Full Version : For Whom to Root (Week 14)

teegre
12-05-2019, 07:07 AM
For those who watch other games, and want to know for whom we should root (in order to best help the Steelers)... here you go:

Colts @ Buccaneers Colts are on our tails. Go Bucs!!!

Broncos @ Texans We “could” possibly surpass the Texans, but someone has to win the AFC South, and if the Texans win out the eliminate the Titans for us. Plus, maaaybe the Texans overtake the Taperiots for the #2 seed. A subdued “Go Texans.”

Bengals @ Browns This truly would eliminate the Browns from the playoffs... AND it drops the Bengals out of the #1 overall draft slot. Win-win. Go Bengals.

Dolphins @ Jets :yawn:

Chargers @ Jaguars :yawn:

Chiefs @ Taperiots Someone has to win the AFC West. Plus, EFF the Taperiots!!!

Titans @ Raiders If the Texans beat the Titans twice in the last four weeks, then the Titans can win here... knocking the Raiders down a spot or two. That said, a Titans loss would not be the worst thing. Still... Go Titans.

Ravens @ Bills *** :noidea:

***The Bills have me in a quandary.

The Bills losing to the Ravens helps the Steelers win the #5 seed. Yet, at the same time, I’d rather see the Taperiots tumble and lose the division (and have to play on the road in the playoffs).

On one hand, I want the Bills to end up 12-4 (their only loss to the Steelers), and taking the AFC East. On the other hand, the Steelers could realistically snatch the #5 seed away from them.

I. Am. Perplexed

Rotorhead
12-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Ravens - Bills is a hard one, but I guess root for the Ravens to help us keep a WC and so NE doesn’t get the 1 seed

Devil's D
12-05-2019, 09:20 AM
GO Ravens! Go Chiefs!

I really want the Ravens to lock-up the #1 seed before we play them. I see that as the easiest path to the playoffs.

EzraTank
12-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Ravens - Bills is a hard one, but I guess root for the Ravens to help us keep a WC and so NE doesn’t get the 1 seed

We aren't catching the Ravens so at this point I want to see them win out (save the game against us) starting this week with the Bills. We need the Bills to lose as much as possible so we can have a shot at the #5 seed.
No matter what if we do make the playoffs (and that's a big if as you can clearly see) we are going to open with a tough road game at the Texans, Chiefs, or possibly Patriots which means we are a one and one team. At this point I see us losing to the Bills & Ravens and ending the season 9-7. Who knows if that gets us the #6 seed but I really don't care we aren't winning a playoff game this year without a lot of lucky bounces. One big benefit of making the playoffs is the Dolphins pick gets worse!

Rotorhead
12-05-2019, 09:43 AM
I don’t know about 1 and done, it’s not like any of the teams (even the pats) are playing lights out right now. Also remember we were 1 unlucky fumble away from beating the Ravens and we took 3 of the top 5 teams this season to the end because our defense (Ravens, Seattle and the 49ers) and that was with our offense putting together 1 drive per game. As long as our defense plays like it has been we have a chance to beat any team, especially if our offense starts playing better with Duck. I am not saying we are going to do a lot, or even make the playoffs, but we have a chance as long as our defense plays lights out.

As for Buffalo, well their offense is t exactly killing it either, so that is going to be a defensive struggle for both teams, and I think our defense is just better, especially at TOs.

EzraTank
12-05-2019, 10:18 AM
I just don't see our offense winning at any of those venues. Duck is gutsy but with no playoff experience ... it just isn't happening against the Texans, Chiefs or Pats offense on the road. I know the Pats have struggled but winning in Foxboro in January with this offense ... not happening against Belichick's defense. They will feast on Duck. The Chiefs offense is too good with Mahomes back, and Watson is too good as well. Even with our defense keeping it close I just don't see it.

steelreserve
12-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Let's face it, the Bills are not going to catch the Patriots. Just very unlikely to happen. So I'd rather see the Ravens get the #1 seed as a backstop against those hearing fucktards. In the meantime you can root for Brady to get hurt or exposed as a pedophile; either of those would have a worse effect on their season than getting the wild card.

Rotorhead
12-05-2019, 12:35 PM
I don’t see any issues with the Texans or Chiefs more than the Bills (who have a better Def than both of those teams). I honestly see us being able to hold our own mainly due to our Def being able to shut them down, so our offense doesn’t need to be lights out, just efficient with no turnovers

Rotorhead
12-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Let's face it, the Bills are not going to catch the Patriots. Just very unlikely to happen. So I'd rather see the Ravens get the #1 seed as a backstop against those hearing fucktards. In the meantime you can root for Brady to get hurt or exposed as a pedophile; either of those would have a worse effect on their season than getting the wild card.

Unfortunately you are probably correct, they are 1 game back and even if the Bills beat them and they go 2-2 (losses to the Bills and KC) the Bills will have to go 3-1 to tie them and that means beating us and the Ravens

Fire Goodell
12-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Ah just realized that if the Bills and Pats both end up 12-4, the Pats still win the division. Gotta root for the Ravens over the Bills then!

However, I do think the Bills will play the Ravens tough at home. This could be a letdown game for Baltimore

Fire Goodell
12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
If NE's offense doesn't pick it up fast, there's a realistic shot they could get taken down by the Chiefs and Bills. If that happens they'll be the #3 seed and if the Steelers are the #6, we'd be facing them in the first week of the playoffs haha.

ETL
12-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Go Ravens. I want Ravens to have every reason to rest Lamar Jackson in week 17

HollywoodSteel
12-05-2019, 02:36 PM

For some reason I don’t see the Ravens easing up on us. Maybe if it was any other team, but it’s in front of their home crowd against the Steelers. If they can knock us out of the playoffs, they might go for it.

Plus they will have a bye anyway, so I can see the logic of not wanting to sit your young QB for two weeks in a row and play the first playoff game cold.

They’ll probably want to play him for at least a half and see how it goes.

However, if LJ plays and gets hurt, Harbaugh will go from potential coach of the year to getting death threats in Baltimore.

EzraTank
12-05-2019, 02:38 PM
If they have the #1 seed locked up they would be stupid to play Jackson against us.

Fire Goodell
12-05-2019, 02:42 PM
For some reason I don’t see the Ravens easing up on us. Maybe if it was any other team, but it’s in front of their home crowd against the Steelers. If they can knock us out of the playoffs, they might go for it.

Plus they will have a bye anyway, so I can see the logic of not wanting to sit your young QB for two weeks in a row and play the first playoff game cold.

They’ll probably want to play him for at least a half and see how it goes.

However, if LJ plays and gets hurt, Harbaugh will go from potential coach of the year to getting death threats in Baltimore.

I think they would. It was like the Packers @ Bears game in week 17 during the 2010 season. The Bears already had the #2 seed wrapped up and the Packers needed to win that game to get a wildcard berth. A win wouldn't get them the #1 seed, it was a meaningless game for the Bears. But they still played all their starters, because they wanted to knock the Packers out of playoff contention. The pack ended up winning and winning the Super Bowl that year.

Hopefully a similar thing plays out for the Steelers :chuckle:

teegre
12-06-2019, 06:47 AM
If both the Bills and Taperiots end up 12-4, I do believe that the Bills win the division... because the Taperiots would have lost to four AFC teams; whereas, the Bills lost to the Eagles (an NFC team).

Regardless, I’m leaning towards what steelreserve is thinking: have the Ravens secure the #1 seed... to ensure that the cheaters do not have home field (where headsets mysteriously malfunction) advantage.

Then again, if the Steelers end up as the #6 seed, we’d face the Ravens in the Divisional round. In order for the Steelers to advance, we’d have to knock off the Ravens... basically negating that home field advantage.

I just hope that the Texans surpass the Taperiots, forcing the cheaters to play an extra game, and for the cheaters to play at least one game on the road (away from spy cameras in the opposing team’s locker room).

SUMMATION:
Ravens win out: secure #1 seed
Texans win out: acquire the #2 seed
Steelers win out: somehow get the #5 seed

teegre
12-06-2019, 07:02 AM
I don’t know about 1 and done, it’s not like any of the teams (even the pats) are playing lights out right now. Also remember we were 1 unlucky fumble away from beating the Ravens and we took 3 of the top 5 teams this season to the end because our defense (Ravens, Seattle and the 49ers) and that was with our offense putting together 1 drive per game. As long as our defense plays like it has been we have a chance to beat any team, especially if our offense starts playing better with Duck. I am not saying we are going to do a lot, or even make the playoffs, but we have a chance as long as our defense plays lights out.

As for Buffalo, well their offense is t exactly killing it either, so that is going to be a defensive struggle for both teams, and I think our defense is just better, especially at TOs.

QFT

Rotorhead
12-06-2019, 09:04 AM
QFT

??

Did I say something that insulted you? I always respect your opinions without this kind of BS response, I would expect the same from you.

pczach
12-06-2019, 10:01 AM
??

Did I say something that insulted you? I always respect your opinions without this kind of BS response, I would expect the same from you.

QFT is short for "quoted for truth".

It's not an insult. He's agreeing with your statement and complimenting you on what you said and how you said it.

I don't mean to speak for him, but I think that's what he meant.

Fire Goodell
12-06-2019, 11:17 AM
QFT is internet-speak for "I agree with you, good sir" :chuckle:

BTW the Chiefs will beat the Patriots this Sunday. Mahomes will force a shootout but this time Brady doesn't have the bullets to hang. That and the curse of my avatar

steelreserve
12-06-2019, 11:47 AM
I bet he thought it meant "quit fucking talking" - but we have STFU for that.

JnK
12-06-2019, 12:26 PM

I swear I do try my hardest to read your posts but I just can't stop staring at your avatar.

Rotorhead
12-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I did take it as “quit fing talking”

Carry on

Fire Goodell
12-06-2019, 04:19 PM
I'm really hoping somehow the Bills steal the division from the pats and drop them to the 3rd seed, then we get in as the 6th and get another shot that those MFers

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-06-2019, 06:13 PM
I'm really hoping somehow the Bills steal the division from the pats and drop them to the 3rd seed, then we get in as the 6th and get another shot that those MFers With their offense not doing good and our D now. I don't fear them and would love to face them.

Rotorhead
12-06-2019, 11:06 PM
I swear I do try my hardest to read your posts but I just can't stop staring at your avatar.

This x100 haha, love that avatar!

teegre
12-07-2019, 07:01 AM
??

My intention was to say that your post was perfect... and there was “nothing more that needed to be added.” Obviously, there was a miscommunication. I have never heard of any other use for QFT, and if there is, I apologize for that confusion. My intention was to say:

Quoted For Truth

I hope that you know that I respect you as a poster, and that I truly meant the best with post (i.e. admiration for your post).

Summation: I’m glad that this got cleared up.

Iron Steeler
12-07-2019, 08:58 AM
My intention was to say that your post was perfect... and there was “nothing more that needed to be added.” Obviously, there was a miscommunication. I have never heard of any other use for QFT, and if there is, I apologize for that confusion. My intention was to say:

Quoted For Truth

I hope that you know that I respect you as a poster, and that I truly meant the best with post (i.e. admiration for your post).

Summation: I’m glad that this got cleared up.

Hey teegre quit f'n talking man... jeez just jabbering on and on and on. :rofl2::sarcasm:

Crow-Magnon
12-07-2019, 09:00 AM
This is why I love this time of year. I love me some baseball, but this constant potential week-to-week possibilities of making the playoffs, where teams get seeded, who ends up where make these last four weeks of the regular season priceless.

I think the Ravens will eke out a W in Buffalo, and that the Pats drop a game to KC. That leaves the Steelers, Pats and Jets left on Buffalo’s plate. Meanwhile, the Pats finish with the Bengals, Bills and the Fins. Unfortunately, I think Buffalo has the hardest path to winning the AFCE. Unless the Pats really stumble badly, they should win at least two or three of their remaining four games. The Bills? They may be lucky to win one of four (Jets). Every other team is gunning for a spot in the post-season either as a division winner and #1 or #2 seed, or a WC spot. I see no let-up.

As far as Week 17 in Baltimore? I do not think playing the Steelers at home that the Ravens will rest starters. That’s a rivalry game and they will play to win. Bank on that.

FrancoLambert
12-07-2019, 09:29 AM

If ETL ever replaces his avatar with another, I plan on organizing a pilgrimage to rectify it. :plane:

Hawkman
12-07-2019, 10:51 AM
If ETL ever replaces his avatar with another, I plan on organizing a pilgrimage to rectify it. :plane:

You just wanted a reason to use that “airplane”.:chuckle:

HollywoodSteel
12-07-2019, 06:52 PM
This is why I love this time of year. I love me some baseball, but this constant potential week-to-week possibilities of making the playoffs, where teams get seeded, who ends up where make these last four weeks of the regular season priceless.

I think the Ravens will eke out a W in Buffalo, and that the Pats drop a game to KC. That leaves the Steelers, Pats and Jets left on Buffalo’s plate. Meanwhile, the Pats finish with the Bengals, Bills and the Fins. Unfortunately, I think Buffalo has the hardest path to winning the AFCE. Unless the Pats really stumble badly, they should win at least two or three of their remaining four games. The Bills? They may be lucky to win one of four (Jets). Every other team is gunning for a spot in the post-season either as a division winner and #1 or #2 seed, or a WC spot. I see no let-up.

As far as Week 17 in Baltimore? I do not think playing the Steelers at home that the Ravens will rest starters. That’s a rivalry game and they will play to win. Bank on that.

It’s funny how the Ravens have been our biggest rival over the years, and I used to hate playing them the most, but at least the rivalry has had a great level of respect between the two times. Over the past few years playing the Bengals has been awful since that team always seemed more intent on dirty play and causing injury than actually winning.
“Winning” games against the Bengals always came with a cost that screwed us in the playoffs.

Now the Browns seem to have taken the Bengals place as the dirty team that wants to inflict injuries upon us.

Games against the Ravens, while occasionally brutal, were never, in mind, dirty.

So congrats on a successful hard fought season. Your team has earned its current place atop the division.

I look forward to playing another tough nosed, but respectful, football game against you. If we’re REALLY lucky maybe we’ll play you again in the playoffs, but that’s a long shot.

teegre
12-07-2019, 09:19 PM
words

Absolutely :nod: I completely respect the Ravens.

fansince'76
12-07-2019, 09:32 PM
I kinda like "Quit F'ing Talking"... :chuckle:

Butch
12-08-2019, 07:35 AM
I think in the case of ETL QFT stands for Quivering F'ing Titties

FrancoLambert
12-08-2019, 08:30 AM
You just wanted a reason to use that “airplane”.:chuckle:

QFT (and I don’t mean “quit fucking talking” or “quivering f’ing titties.” :drink:

Moose
12-08-2019, 08:59 AM
All this play-off picture stuff is too ' ify' for me, but the brownies vs bungholes is easy for me. I HATE the bungholes and fans sooooo much that I ALWAYS root for them to lose. The 1st draft pick for them means nothing to me......what would it do for them ? ! They've had many, many 1st draft picks in the past and all it does is ruin the career of a college kid. IF the Black/Gold are supposed to win it.....they will. Go Steeler's

ETL
12-08-2019, 09:08 AM
I have nothing new to add. Just wanted to satisfy those clamoring for to see the avatar on page 2 of this post.

Moose
12-08-2019, 09:23 AM
I have nothing new to add. Just wanted to satisfy those clamoring for to see the avatar on page 2 of this post.

THANKS...... such a nice image to start the day !!!! ( Damn, I just noticed she is saying something !)

Rotorhead
12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
THANKS...... such a nice image to start the day !!!! ( Damn, I just noticed she is saying something !)

I think she is saying “do you like that?”

Steelerchad
12-08-2019, 10:05 AM
I feel like the Titans are the team that threatens our 6 seed the most. I feel like 9-7 is most likely outcome for the Steelers. If we are in a head to head tie with the Titans, most likely we lose that tie breaker. However, a 3 way tie with the Colts and Titans likely gives us the 6 seed. Since division ties are broker first having the Colts go 3-1 and the Titans 2-2, would have the Colts eliminate the Titans first, then the Steelers with the head to head over the Colts.
I'm going for the Raiders over Titans today and the Colts over Tamps today.

GoSlash27
12-08-2019, 10:17 AM
I think she is saying “do you like that?”
"It's so lifelike".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOGPlRDOids

NCSteeler
12-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Broncos blowing out Texans!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
12-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Broncos blowing out Texans!

Classic letdown game after beating Pats with Titans next week but getting blown out at home as a 9 point favorite is what you get from a Bill O’Brien coaches team

86WARD
12-08-2019, 02:12 PM
O’Brien should’ve stayed at the college levels...

12-08-2019, 02:51 PM
O’Brien should’ve stayed at the college levels... As a Penn State fan I'm glad Houston has him.

86WARD
12-08-2019, 03:06 PM
As a Penn State fan I'm glad Houston has him.

Same...in himdsight. But he was pretty good at PSU.

AtlantaDan
12-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Bills lose 24-17 after cutting it to 7 and getting inside the Ravens 20 in the last 2 minutes

Bills 9-4 with @Steelers and @Pats coming up

Colts blow a 14 point second half lead and lose 38-35

HollywoodSteel
12-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Well, the Ravens are gonna win. So that’s... good?

NCSteeler
12-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Well, the Ravens are gonna win. So that’s... good?[emoji2961][emoji2961]

HollywoodSteel
12-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Bills lose 24-17 after cutting it to 7 and getting inside the Ravens 20 in the last 2 minutes

Bills 9-4 with @Steelers and @Pats coming up

And the Bills needed a PI penalty to even get that close. They are a frustrating offense to watch.

I know I was supposed to root for the Ravens, but it just sickens me to see things go their way constantly.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Bucs beat the Colts, so at least that is objectively good.

GoSlash27
12-08-2019, 06:38 PM
KC's gonna win!

43Hitman
12-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Patsies acting like bitches about it too! I drink their salty tears with joy!

12-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Yep good football week

EzraTank
12-08-2019, 06:45 PM
We need to beat the Bills and Jets so the game against the Ravens is meaningless

fansince'76
12-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Patsies acting like bitches about it too! I drink their salty tears with joy!

Looks like their fans are whining about the refs. Quite ironic, considering that the refs basically gifted them the AFCCG against the Chiefs last year with the bullshit RTP call. :coffee:

ETL
12-08-2019, 06:49 PM
"It's so lifelike".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOGPlRDOids

Hahahahaha! You found the video. Hahahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Word

j-d-s
12-08-2019, 06:54 PM
The Cheats loss means that the Ravens, if they win their next two, will clinch the #1 seed in week 16, so they may rest their starters in week 17 against us. For a running QB like Jackson that definitely seems to be wise.

The bad news is that the Titans won again and if we finish with the same record as the Titans or Texans (one them probably will be division winner) they will likely have the tiebreaker.

ETL
12-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Titans and Texans play each other next week.

we want the Texans to win. Why? Because one of these teams have to win the AFC south and as I see it - the Texans have a better conference record. So even if we lose to the Bills, if the Texans beat the Titans - we should have still win the tie breaker over the Titans. If titans beat the Texans and we lose to the Bills, then, We are on the outside looking in.

if we beat the bills - all this is moot and we take #5 spot and we don’t care about titans or Texans or the price of eggs in China

fansince'76
12-08-2019, 07:02 PM
On the other hand, I'd really like to see the Bills win the AFCE and force the Patriots to have to win 3 road games to get to another SB.

Let's face it, we're not winning a SB with this offense.

Crow-Magnon
12-08-2019, 07:05 PM
The Cheats loss means that the Ravens, if they win their next two, will clinch the #1 seed in week 16, so they may rest their starters in week 17 against us. For a running QB like Jackson that definitely seems to be wise.

The bad news is that the Titans won again and if we finish with the same record as the Titans or Texans (one them probably will be division winner) they will likely have the tiebreaker.

I could be wrong, but I feel if that scenario plays out, Baltimore will still play the Steelers to win at home.

NCSteeler
12-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Bills would have to win out idk if I see that happening. Could be

GoSlash27
12-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Let's face it, we're not winning a SB with this offense.

Maybe not, but I bet we can win a SB with this defense.

steelreserve
12-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Looks like their fans are whining about the refs. Quite ironic, considering that the refs basically gifted them the AFCCG against the Chiefs last year with the bullshit RTP call. :coffee:

Somewhere there is an alternate timeline where the Tuck Rule bullshit was never called. The Raiders kneel down to win the game, and go on to lose to the Rams in the Super Bowl. Brady returns to the bench the next season, and is traded at the deadline for draft picks. He compiles a career record of 6-16 as a starter over four seasons with the Jets, Bengals, and Lions, before retiring in 2006 to open a gay bar. The Patriots enter 2019 as one of the remaining 11 teams never to have won a Super Bowl.

fansince'76
12-08-2019, 07:12 PM

I think a WC berth would be a big achievement with a 3rd string QB. From there, who knows? Hell, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have won SBs on the backs of great defensive efforts.

Edman
12-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Patriots lose and are whining about the refs.

Cry me a river.

Iron Steeler
12-08-2019, 07:17 PM

If one wins the division it will give then 3rd or 4th seed. Tie breaker will go to divisional opponent record.

fansince'76
12-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Patriots lose and are whining about the refs.

Cry me a river.

Don't want to hear it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVIp-N6LhI4

NCSteeler
12-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Somewhere there is an alternate timeline where the Tuck Rule bullshit was never called. The Raiders kneel down to win the game, and go on to lose to the Rams in the Super Bowl. Brady returns to the bench the next season, and is traded at the deadline for draft picks. He compiles a career record of 6-16 as a starter over four seasons with the Jets, Bengals, and Lions, before retiring in 2006 to open a gay bar. The Patriots enter 2019 as one of the remaining 11 teams never to have won a Super Bowl.Oh I love this!

HollywoodSteel
12-08-2019, 07:22 PM
I don’t think there’s any way the Ravens take it easy on us if they have a chance to knock us out of the playoffs.

But if we win the next two games and the Titans lose to the Texans next week, would that guarantee us a playoff spot?

It would be fun if we can rest starters against the Ravens. Lol

NCSteeler
12-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Don't want to hear it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVIp-N6LhI4OMG that's some serious BS. Refs have made some terrible calls this season that has to top the list

j-d-s
12-08-2019, 07:33 PM
If one wins the division it will give then 3rd or 4th seed. Tie breaker will go to divisional opponent record.

Yes, but both the Titans and Texans are on track to own the tiebreaker if either of them gets the same record as us and does not win the division.

The main problem is that we only play conference teams, while they also play one NFC team each which might either give them the tiebreaker of tie it, and strength of victory doesn't look good for us.

Of course if we beat the Bills we most likely will end up higher than them so we won't need to worry about Tennessee and Houston...

steelreserve
12-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Oh I love this!

Incidentally, that's the same timeline in which President Perot successfully assassinated Osama bin Laden in 1998, and Firefly was never canceled and had an amazing 10-year run. Epstein still didn't kill himself, though.

cubanstogie
12-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Yes, but both the Titans and Texans are on track to own the tiebreaker if either of them gets the same record as us and does not win the division.

The main problem is that we only play conference teams, while they also play one NFC team each which might either give them the tiebreaker of tie it, and strength of victory doesn't look good for us.

Of course if we beat the Bills we most likely will end up higher than them so we won't need to worry about Tennessee and Houston...
how do you figure, right now we are ahead of Titans and have same record. I don't see Titans beating Saints, or sweeping Texans. They should go 1-2.

12-08-2019, 08:18 PM
how do you figure, right now we are ahead of Titans and have same record. I don't see Titans beating Saints, or sweeping Texans. They should go 1-2. 0-3 possible.

cubanstogie
12-08-2019, 08:39 PM
0-3 possible.
True, but Titans don't automatically win tie breaker if we are tied with them. It would take both teams going 0-3 I believe. Anyway Steelers control their own destiny which is nice. Hate counting on crap teams to get a win in December for us to move on.

- - - Updated - - -

0-3 possible.
True, but Titans don't automatically win tie breaker if we are tied with them. It would take both teams going 0-3 I believe. Anyway Steelers control their own destiny which is nice. Hate counting on crap teams to get a win in December for us to move on.

12-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Agreed and we need to beat Buffalo next week.

j-d-s
12-08-2019, 09:32 PM
how do you figure, right now we are ahead of Titans and have same record. I don't see Titans beating Saints, or sweeping Texans. They should go 1-2.

If we assume that the Titans go 1-2 and we do as well (we only beat the Jets, they beat the Texans once):

Conference us 7-5 them 7-5
Common opponents (CLE, IND, BUF, LAC) us 3-2 them 3-2
Strength of Victory will most likely go to them because we have only beaten one team with a winning record (the Rams)

If we finish 10-6 we're in, there is no scenario in which we would miss at 10-6.

teegre
12-09-2019, 06:56 AM

An interesting stat:
Yesterday, James Washington was the oldest skill-position player for the Steelers.

What does that mean? The offense is too young (stupid? naive?) to know that they shouldn’t be winning games.

SUMMATION:
I agree: this defense is good enough to win a championship, as long as the offense “doesn’t kill us.”

Joking and Tomlinisms aside, the offense is starting to click a little bit more with each passing week. We are starting to see some of these young guys break out, specifically DJ... which should free up JuJu when he comes back.

AtlantaDan
12-09-2019, 08:24 AM
I don’t think there’s any way the Ravens take it easy on us if they have a chance to knock us out of the playoffs.

But if we win the next two games and the Titans lose to the Texans next week, would that guarantee us a playoff spot?

It would be fun if we can rest starters against the Ravens. Lol

Ravens host Jets then @Browns next two weeks - if Ravens win both of those they will clinch the #1 seed since they win Pats tiebreaker

If that happens Harbaugh probably would play Jackson in the first half to avoid a three week layoff before the playoffs but having Jackson play the full game (unless it becomes a blowout) simply to win a game of no significance while risking injury would seem unlikely

Steelers just need to take care of business the next two weeks against Bills and Jets

New York Times playoff calculator gives Steelers 100% shot to make playoffs if Steelers win the next two weeks

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

teegre
12-10-2019, 07:07 AM
If the Steelers beat the Bills and the Jets, they are 100% playoff bound. In Week 17, they’d be playing for seeding (#5 vs. #6).

That said, later this week, I’ll post an updated “For Whom to Root” thread. :nod:

Iron Steeler
12-10-2019, 10:10 AM
If the Steelers beat the Bills and the Jets, they are 100% playoff bound. In Week 17, they’d be playing for seeding (#5 vs. #6).

That said, later this week, I’ll post an updated “For Whom to Root” thread. :nod:

Can't wait! -Bart scott voice

Fire Goodell
12-10-2019, 12:35 PM
I could be wrong, but I feel if that scenario plays out, Baltimore will still play the Steelers to win at home.

I feel that way, if the Ravens can knock the Steelers out of playoff contention, 1st round bye locked up or not, they will try to. It's that scenario like the 2010 Bears vs Packers in the finale. The one team the Ravens do NOT want to see in the playoffs is the Steelers. You don't want to play a divisional rival in the playoffs because anything can happen. Even though the Steelers on paper would appear overmatched, divisional rivals always have a familiarity with each other that makes either team dangerous. Also look at the divisional playoffs in 2008, Pats vs the Jets. Everyone thought this would be a laugher, but Sanchez and the Jets #1 defense took down the Patriots at Foxborough. This is the kind of crap that happens in the playoffs when you play a division opponent.

The only way I see the Ravens resting their starters for us, is if beating us would drop us from the #5 seed to #6 seed. Then it wouldn't be worth the risk to start Jackson (especially if they don't want to see us in the playoffs, dropping us to a 6th increases the chances of meeting them if they're the #1 seed).

Crow-Magnon
12-10-2019, 02:02 PM
I feel that way, if the Ravens can knock the Steelers out of playoff contention, 1st round bye locked up or not, they will try to. It's that scenario like the 2010 Bears vs Packers in the finale. The one team the Ravens do NOT want to see in the playoffs is the Steelers. You don't want to play a divisional rival in the playoffs because anything can happen. Even though the Steelers on paper would appear overmatched, divisional rivals always have a familiarity with each other that makes either team dangerous. Also look at the divisional playoffs in 2008, Pats vs the Jets. Everyone thought this would be a laugher, but Sanchez and the Jets #1 defense took down the Patriots at Foxborough. This is the kind of crap that happens in the playoffs when you play a division opponent.

The only way I see the Ravens resting their starters for us, is if beating us would drop us from the #5 seed to #6 seed. Then it wouldn't be worth the risk to start Jackson (especially if they don't want to see us in the playoffs, dropping us to a 6th increases the chances of meeting them if they're the #1 seed).

I pretty much agree with you. But I really have a hard time swallowing resting starters against your most heated division rival in any circumstance. It would suck to be in the stands watching your team give one away...no matter what. Now, if Baltimore started blowing out Pittsburgh (or vice-versa), maybe the risk/reward would warrant pulling starters. But I would not want to “give a W” to the Steelers due to looking at two weeks down the road.

And yes, while a Steelers-Ravens Divisional Playoff would likely be a helluva game, I’d rather pass. As it is highly likely Baltimore will get a 1st round bye (and #1 seed), I would not prefer to play the Steelers three times.

j-d-s
12-10-2019, 06:19 PM
In 2012, when Baltimore won the Super Bowl, Harbaugh pulled Flacco and Rice in the first quarter of week 17 with the seed clinched: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212300cin.htm

Especially with Jackson now banged up and a Pittsburgh D that definitely would try to hit him as hard as possible without being flagged, I cannot imagine Harbaugh playing Jackson in that game if they have clinched the No. 1 seed.

It would be dumb, just to rub it in to division rival especially with a running QB.

Still, we then would need to beat RG3 on the road, possibly with the Ravens starting linemen and defense, so still no gimme...

steelreserve
12-10-2019, 08:07 PM
I don't think the division rivalry has anything to do with it. If you've got the #1 seed wrapped up and your opponent has the playoffs on the line - you try to knock them out if they are a team you'd rather not face in the postseason. If you don't care one way or the other, then you lie down. That will be most of the time. And either way you probably don't pull out all the stops and show your surprise no-huddle wishbone strategy or something, you just take a shot and if you're down at halftime, then oh well, time for the backups.