PDA

View Full Version : Ravens mission vs. Steelers: Stop the pass rush

polamalubeast
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
The visual of LaMarr Woodley sweeping in from the Ravens' right to dump Joe Flacco on consecutive plays at Heinz Field last December is a stark reminder of how tough it is to protect your quarterback against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In the span of seven offensive snaps — four drop-backs — the Steelers sacked Flacco three times. Driving for a tying field goal or go-ahead touchdown late in the fourth quarter, the Ravens coughed up a 23-20 loss instead.

On Sunday, the Ravens go back to Pittsburgh, ready for combat, hoping they can do a better job of containing Woodley and the rest of the Steelers' defensive blitzkrieg.

"Sometimes, if you're playing against an elite defense, you might slide all the protections one way," center Matt Birk said. "Well, you can't against the Steelers. They've got two great outside rushers, they've got great inside rushers. They've got linebackers who understand how to play. They've got a safety that can blitz any gap.

read more

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-1001-20100930,0,2043002.story

ALLD
09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I think the Rats already gave up the idea of running the ball. Also, the media isn't even mentioning the emergence of Lawrence Timmons. I think he should take that as a sign of disrespect and tattoo whoever has the ball.

Crow-Magnon
09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I think the Rats already gave up the idea of running the ball. Also, the media isn't even mentioning the emergence of Lawrence Timmons. I think he should take that as a sign of disrespect and tattoo whoever has the ball.

Oh, I don't!

You're a fool if you give up on the run against the Steelers. You might as well fly the Goodyear blimp overhead with a scrolling marquee that reads, "Go Ahead and BLITZ!" if you do that. Pittsburgh always defends the rush well, but Baltimore did run effectively against them last year when needed. Remember Rice's last few touches?

To me though, the secret is to simply forget trying to pound it off-tackle and run draws, with a few sweeps thrown in to mix it up. It is damned hard to run up the gut against you guys. But if you truly truly eschew the running game and come out airing the ball out from go all game long, your LB's and safeties will have a field day in the backfield. But running draws opens up the screen and and play-action passing game. If Flacco can read the blitz and the OL can give him some time, he should be able to connect to Boldin, Mason, Housh or Heap in one-on-one coverage.

Time is the key.

ALLD
09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
#43 will take care of defending screens. I wonder who Ryan Clark is going to knock into next year this game.

Crow-Magnon
09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
#43 will take care of defending screens. I wonder who Ryan Clark is going to knock into next year this game.

Troy is great, but he can't defend everyone.

SMR
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Troy is great, but he can't defend everyone.

Right, but then we got Timmons, Clark, B-Mac, Taylor, etc, etc, etc.... :grin:

Gayvens = :rip:

Steeltreal
09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
What are they going to do max protect with their 1 wideout set? BMac played with Boldin in Arizona. He should shut him down all game with Clark lurking deep.

SMR
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
What are they going to do max protect with their 1 wideout set? BMac played with Boldin in Arizona. He should shut him down all game with Clark lurking deep.

Good point. B-Mac KNOWS Boldin. Heh. I.CAN'T.WAIT.

smokin3000gt
09-30-2010, 08:26 PM
When Flacco goes to sleep at night, this is what dreams about.

http://www.dfulmer.net/daveynin/images/1222_SIlarge.jpg