PDA

View Full Version : Minkah Fitzpatrick and His Impact

Mojouw
12-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Two articles to share:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/11/08/how-the-steelers-turned-minkah-fitzpatrick-into-the-nfls-best-deep-safety/2/
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/4/20994833/minkah-fitzpatrick-steelers-defense-playoffs

Both essentially say the same thing. Pre-MF, Steelers were just getting carved up down the middle. Post-MF, not so much.

Just ended up being a heist of a trade. Now if Miami drafts their franchise cornerstone for the next 12 years with the pick, then it looks better. But, honestly, for the 2020-22 Pittsburgh Steelers a defense altering FS is more likely to have a SB impact than a highly touted QB prospect.

Fire Goodell
12-04-2019, 11:30 AM
There were at least 2 games the Steelers would have definitely lost if not for big plays / scores from him. Best trade of 2019 definitely. Like Troy, this guy turns the defense into something great. Without him, I think they'd be an average defense. I wonder how much of Bud Dupree's success is due to the secondary holding up? His 1.5 sacks last Sunday were both coverage sacks. Coverage sacks don't work without coverage.

tube517
12-04-2019, 11:33 AM
There were at least 2 games the Steelers would have definitely lost if not for big plays / scores from him. Best trade of 2019 definitely. Like Troy, this guy turns the defense into something great. Without him, I think they'd be an average defense. I wonder how much of Bud Dupree's success is due to the secondary holding up? His 1.5 sacks last Sunday were both dong sacks. Coverage sacks don't work without coverage.

Fixed. :wink02: :chuckle:

st33lersguy
12-04-2019, 12:24 PM
The way I see it, the Steelers DID trade a top 10 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick... because without him shoring up the secondary, you'd have a pretty bad secondary surrendering numerous big plays paired with a struggling offense and with that kind of combination, they would be picking in the top 10 next year

BlackAndGold
12-04-2019, 12:32 PM

AtlantaDan
12-04-2019, 01:40 PM
The way I see it, the Steelers DID trade a top 10 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick... because without him shoring up the secondary, you'd have a pretty bad secondary surrendering numerous big plays paired with a struggling offense and with that kind of combination, they would be picking in the top 10 next year

And still might have missed out on getting one of the few QBs (Barrow, Herbert, pre-injury Tua) with a clear top of first round grade in a thin class for high quality QBs. Miami & Bengals were clearly going for a QB and other teams behind Steelers in first round could trade up.

I am beginning to think Colbert and Tomlin might know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

steelreserve
12-04-2019, 03:08 PM
The defensive backfield is only as good as its weakest link, and prior to the trade, that was Davis.

We went from having two excellent DBs, an ok one (Edmunds) and a nothing, to three excellent DBs and a good one.

I think Edmunds is one of those players who can be really good as long as everyone else around him is doing their own job, but looks like shit when he has to worry about what the guy next to him is doing. Kind of like how Ryan Clark was really good, but whenever Tyrone Carter had to come in for Troy, it made Clark suck too.

That may be the key to the whole thing. Not only that it was a straight upgrade over Davis, but that it also turned Edmunds from a struggling shitball into a solid defender. Upgrading two positions at once.

AtlantaDan
12-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Another article today praising the trade for Minkah

The Best N.F.L. Trade of the Season? Look to Pittsburgh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/sports/football/minkah-fitzpatrick-trade-steelers.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

I am worried the Steelers bandwagon is filling up fast. That often precedes a crucial loss.

Fire Goodell
12-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Another article today praising the trade for Minkah

The Best N.F.L. Trade of the Season? Look to Pittsburgh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/sports/football/minkah-fitzpatrick-trade-steelers.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

I am worried the Steelers bandwagon is filling up fast. That often precedes a crucial loss.

Not nearly as fast as the Ravens bandwagon.

For now a lot of people don't even know who duck hodges is. I texted a friend saying it looks like we found our new QB and he was like "So you like Mason Rudolph over Ben?" and I was like no Rudolph sucks, it's about duck hodges, then he's like who?

On Facebook I posted a cartoon image of Duck, and a friend of mine responded "Hah nice, cause Rudolph throws ducks". I just replied that Mason doesn't wear #6, that's Duck Hodges, then he's like I don't know who that is. He gon' learn :chuckle:

Meanwhile Lamar Jackson is pretty much a household name like Lebron James already

AtlantaDan
12-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Not nearly as fast as the Ravens bandwagon

True - that one is one clean (or for that matter cheap) shot at the QB when he is a runner from tipping over

Dissolv
12-04-2019, 06:41 PM
I think the biggest impact so far is to shut up all the "fans" who were convinced that the front office doesn't know what they are doing.

It's a tough year, for sure. But bitchin' about it doesn't help anything. And it doesn't make one look smarter. As fans, we have one job!

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.8nkGW5ZhPTgoFrubeBEGsQHaMW&pid=Api&rs=1

86WARD
12-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Minkah Fitzpatrick saved Keith Butlers job...Butler better give him a nice Christmas bonus!!

smokin3000gt
12-04-2019, 07:22 PM

So you're saying that without signing good players to the team, the team won't do as well? Interesting... :scratchchin:

dislocatedday
12-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Obviously Minkah has had a tremendously positive impact. The safety play has been sub-par at best for several years prior to this one.

What amazes me mostly though about the defense this year is that I have not seen anyone post the last 2 months anything negative about Keith Butler. The "Fire Butler" cries were resonating continuously the previous 2-3 seasons.

So.....was Butler really the problem, or was it the quality of players, and in particular the secondary players? It seems to me that the addition of Minkah and Steve Nelson have completely transformed the secondary as a unit. I do believe the contributions of Nelson are under-rated.........the guy has played really well and shored up the revolving door of below-average CBs opposite Haden. The addition of Bush has also reaped rewards. There was a huge gaping hole when Shazier went down, and Bush is doing a good job of filling it.

Maybe Butler is not that bad after all :-)

Mojouw
12-04-2019, 09:01 PM
I think the biggest compliment towards Nelson’s play is that teams are choosing to attack Haden. Says to me that Nelson is playing well.

Edman
12-04-2019, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzfnWcHhdyQ&t=3s

Wanna vomit at some bad memories? Look at the Defense trip and shit their pants attempting to defend Brett Hundley. This was with Ryan Shazier in the lineup.

Yes, Minkah Fitzpatrick has made a tremendous impact and vindicated the beleagured Keith Butler. Do I think he's a good defensive coordinator? Not yet, but he has been vindicated to an extent.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Not sold on Mikah yet and think he is mostly benefiting from Dupree having a good year. Hurrying the QB's throws.

86WARD
12-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Not sold on Mikah yet and think he is mostly benefiting from Dupree having a good year. Hurrying the QB's throws.

Wut?

12-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Wut? Joking and love Minkah. Also will add like some said on here think he is helping Dupree to get coverage sacks.

HollywoodSteel
12-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Wut?

Pretty sure he’s joking. I believe he’s just pulling a reverse on the notion that Dupree is only doing well because of Minkah.

Of course Minkah is helping the pass rush. But Dupree is playing well, and we should give him credit for that too.

12-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Pretty sure he’s joking. I believe he’s just pulling a reverse on the notion that Dupree is only doing well because of Minkah.

Of course Minkah is helping the pass rush. But Dupree is playing well, and we should give him credit for that too. Yep you got me on both accounts. I think Bud is having a great year but like a poster mention the secondary this year is helping both Watt and Dupree!

Craic
12-04-2019, 11:28 PM
Yep you got me on both accounts. I think Bud is having a great year but like a poster mention the secondary this year is helping both Watt and Dupree!
Honestly,
I think it goes both ways. Coverage is helping them get sacks. However, they're also forcing they're way to the ball making QBs throw the ball when they don't want to. More and more, it's starting to look like the Steelers Defenses of old. . . well, that's not true. Coverage has been a weakness of Steelers defenses ever since they lost Rod Woodson.

teegre
12-05-2019, 06:45 AM
This thread reminds me of this discussion...

EGG: I came first.
CHICKEN: No, I came first.
EGG: I clearly came first!!!!!
CHICKEN: And, I know that I came first!!!
EGG: EGG!!!
CHICKEN: CHICKEN!!!

86WARD
12-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Joking and love Minkah. Also will add like some said on here think he is helping Dupree to get coverage sacks.

You had me for a second...lol.

86WARD
12-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Honestly,
I think it goes both ways. Coverage is helping them get sacks. However, they're also forcing they're way to the ball making QBs throw the ball when they don't want to. More and more, it's starting to look like the Steelers Defenses of old. . . well, that's not true. Coverage has been a weakness of Steelers defenses ever since they lost Rod Woodson.

TJ Watt is just insane right now. This guy doesn’t slow down anywhere from the first snap to the last snap of the game and is constantly getting pressure if he wants to...

12-05-2019, 06:05 PM
TJ Watt is just insane right now. This guy doesn’t slow down anywhere from the first snap to the last snap of the game and is constantly getting pressure if he wants to... I think he added a little more weight the last two years and think that is helping too. He is a beast now!

Craic
12-05-2019, 07:16 PM
This thread reminds me of this discussion...

EGG: I came first.
CHICKEN: No, I came first.
EGG: I clearly came first!!!!!
CHICKEN: And, I know that I came first!!!
EGG: EGG!!!
CHICKEN: CHICKEN!!!
HEN: Idiots. I CAME FIRST

Shoes
12-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Best move the Steelers made since drafting TJ Watt

DesertSteel
12-05-2019, 07:32 PM
HEN: Idiots. I CAME FIRST
Frank Costanza : Let me understand, you got the hen, the chicken and the rooster. The rooster goes with the chicken. So, who's having sex with the hen?
George Costanza : Why don't we talk about it another time.

Fire Goodell
12-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Minkah is due for an INT this Sunday

12-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Minkah is due for an INT this Sunday Book it!

teegre
12-06-2019, 07:00 AM
Minkah is due for a pick-six this Sunday

slight edit