PDA

View Full Version : Cards game

bendsteel
12-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Not much discussion on this one. I know zero about the Cards this year. Looks like a pick `em game in Vegas(or was anyway). I would love to hear some insight from anyone that has watched them. Clearly, we CAN win, but WILL we?

Mojouw
12-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Defense is bad.

Offense is spread 'em out and light it up. And they can do it, if they catch you napping or in the wrong assignment. Had some success against the 49ers by lining up in 3-4 wide and then running.

Play almost totally in 4 wide. Murray is greased lightening and can throw the ball 40 yards with the flick of a wrist.

Offensive line is bad and injured (I think) so it all tends to break down over the course of a game. Don't want to get in a track meet with them, but I think an assignment sound defense can gum up the works enough to expose the offensive line and rookie QB.

On defense, I think avoiding Chandler Jones and Peterson is the key. Don't know a bunch about their defense, just that it tends to bleed yards and points to everyone.

So knowing all that, it will be close game coming down to the final possession.

Six Rings
12-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Defense is bad.

Offense is spread 'em out and light it up. And they can do it, if they catch you napping or in the wrong assignment. Had some success against the 49ers by lining up in 3-4 wide and then running.

Play almost totally in 4 wide. Murray is greased lightening and can throw the ball 40 yards with the flick of a wrist.

Offensive line is bad and injured (I think) so it all tends to break down over the course of a game. Don't want to get in a track meet with them, but I think an assignment sound defense can gum up the works enough to expose the offensive line and rookie QB.

On defense, I think avoiding Chandler Jones and Peterson is the key. Don't know a bunch about their defense, just that it tends to bleed yards and points to everyone.

So knowing all that, it will be close game coming down to the final possession.

They are a 3-7-1 team, and that's what scares me as Tomlin blows games to losing teams and we don't play well on the west coast.

Other points you did not mention, Muarry has been sacked 41 times already. Our pass rush should eat him alive.

The Cardinals WR's as a group lack big play ability.

Their pass rush as a team sucks ( outside of Chandler ), and the DB's are not very good. A terrible combination for them, but good news for us.

st33lersguy
12-02-2019, 07:31 PM
West coast game, bad team, coming off a big division win. This has classic Tomlin letdown written ALL OVER IT!

Iron Steeler
12-02-2019, 07:50 PM
West coast game, bad team, coming off a big division win. This has classic Tomlin letdown written ALL OVER IT!

Say no more... we lost already.

Iron Steeler
12-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Edman
12-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Cardinals get their fourth win on the season. 28-13 Cardinals.

Duck throws two picks. Defense can't stop anything. Kyler Murray goes off for three touchdowns.

Not even humoring this game with a Steelers win. This is the kind of game they play like utter dogshit and lose in.

DesertSteel
12-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Living in Arizona, I’ve watched almost every game. Kyler is the real deal but goes down easy on sacks. They’re streaky and Kingsbury is a bad coach. They have a couple studs on defense, but not good as a unit.

I’ll be at the game so the Steelers have to win.

24-20 Steelers

- - - Updated - - -

In after the “I’ll be glad if I’m wrong” crowd.

GoSlash27
12-02-2019, 08:43 PM
The Steelers don't drop "trap games". Not this year. Cards try to spread the offense and take shots downfield, get mauled by the best defense in the NFL. Final score 20-0 Steelers.

Iron Steeler
12-02-2019, 08:51 PM
There is no such thing as a trap game if your always the underdog.

Craic
12-02-2019, 10:27 PM

Like, is there anything that makes you happy about the Steelers?

Butch
12-02-2019, 10:29 PM

Not this year, this team is different. The D is playing lights out and I don't see them letting up anytime soon. Duck is not afraid to go vertical with the ball so that should open up the offense as long as we don't go conservative and turtle things away.

Steeler-in-west
12-02-2019, 10:48 PM
No more playing down to the competition since Brown and Bell are gone - no distractions anymore right? Team is now focused or should be. I’m buying into the narrative that Tomlin's got this team fighting hard every game even against an inferior team

27-10 Steelers

86WARD
12-03-2019, 08:13 AM

So true that you had to post it twice!!

AtlantaDan
12-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Game opened at pick 'em and has moved to Steelers -2&1/2 - 3

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/steelers-@-cardinals.cfm/date/12-08-19#BT

Beware when the public jumps on one team to move the line that much

fansince'76
12-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Since when is Arizona the "West Coast?"

DesertSteel
12-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Arizona is to west coast what Pennsylvania is to east coast.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Since Desertsteel started selling oceanfront property in Flagstaff. :wink02:

Fire Goodell
12-03-2019, 10:14 AM
24-20 Steelers. Cards get a late score after the game's pretty much out of hand. I don't think the Cardinals are as bad as their record says, but a rookie QB against this defense... He ain't ready for it yet.

Snell goes for over 100 yards, Hodges attempts less than 25 passes again but throws 2 TDs. They can control the clock against that D

Iron Steeler
12-03-2019, 10:16 AM
So true that you had to post it twice!!

lol my phone is jacked up and refuse to pay verizon a penny more! so im just gonna suffer out of spite.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-03-2019, 10:19 AM
West coast game, bad team, coming off a big division win. This has classic Tomlin letdown written ALL OVER IT! I think Ben should take a share of the blame for the Steelers losing to bad teams in the past. He seemed to never get up for those games.

Fire Goodell
12-03-2019, 10:21 AM
I think Ben should take a share of the blame for the Steelers losing to bad teams in the past. He seemed to never get up for those games.

Honestly the game plan of airing it out 40+ times a game makes you more susceptible to letdowns, especially with a gunslinger like Ben who wasn't ever great at protecting the football. That gameplan can sometimes lead to excessive turnovers, and turnovers are the best way to have letdown games. With the team relying more on the running game, I have a feeling that letdown games may be less common. I hope.

AtlantaDan
12-03-2019, 11:07 AM

steel striker
12-03-2019, 11:12 AM
I just hope Tomlin has them ready and, it seems they know this year they have to play better in games they should win.

DesertSteel
12-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Living in Arizona, I’ve watched almost every game. Kyler is the real deal but goes down easy on sacks. They’re streaky and Kingsbury is a bad coach. They have a couple studs on defense, but not good as a unit.

I’ll be at the game so the Steelers have to win.

24-20 Steelers

- - - Updated - - -

In after the “I’ll be glad if I’m wrong” crowd.

24-20 Steelers. Cards get a late score after the game's pretty much out of hand. I don't think the Cardinals are as bad as their record says, but a rookie QB against this defense... He ain't ready for it yet.

Snell goes for over 100 yards, Hodges attempts less than 25 passes again but throws 2 TDs. They can control the clock against that D
You stole my score!

Rotorhead
12-03-2019, 12:08 PM
I agree with most, this season seems like a season we don’t play down to lesser teams. The Cards can be dangerous with a few big plays, and if that happens early we could be in trouble. As long as our defense plays like it can, we should win this game with little issue. Hopefully we can rest Juju and Conner this week and have them healthy for the final stretch and into the playoffs.

Mojouw
12-03-2019, 12:25 PM
The Cardinals can score points on anyone: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/3/20992637/exit-interview-arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-kliff-kingsbury

"In the first four weeks the Cardinals accumulated an 0-3-1 record, with the offense near the bottom of the league in DVOA (https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1184508856216543233). Then the team found its groove, and entered Week 13 as the eighth-best offense (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019). Arizona has scored at least 25 points in six of its past eight games, and Murray has thrown 10 touchdowns and just two interceptions in that span. And the Cardinals haven’t been feasting on cupcake opponents, either: Two of these games came against the 10-2 49ers, with Kyler and Co. putting up a combined 51 points on a team that has given up an average of 15 per game this season"

Dissolv
12-03-2019, 01:41 PM
They can score points on anyone else. :tt03:

They have to prove that they can score points on us. I personally think that this is a totally winnable game, but it is tough to really call what will happen. But if the Steelers ride this wave of success and learn a few things, if they can improve, then we might actually see our 8th win this week, keep the playoff hopes (somehow) alive, and keep the legend of the Duck going strong....

Craic
12-03-2019, 03:09 PM
I think Ben should take a share of the blame for the Steelers losing to bad teams in the past. He seemed to never get up for those games.

Honestly, I didn't want to say it, but I've been thinking this same thing. How much of those loses were on Ben? Because, this year, we haven't lost one game to a bad team. The Browns are a very talented team that just can't pull it together, and we lost to them as they were hitting a win streak. They also beat the Ravens. So, again, we've lost to no bad teams this year. I wonder, if we go back to games Ben did not play in, and were against bad teams, how many of those game did we win? I honestly do not know the answer. It might be zero. But, it would be worth checking out.

- - - Updated - - -

We're not, right now. But we'll go back to west coast starting in March and stay there until next November. At least, that's what my clock says. :chuckle:

12-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I didn't want to say it, but I've been thinking this same thing. How much of those loses were on Ben? Because, this year, we haven't lost one game to a bad team. The Browns are a very talented team that just can't pull it together, and we lost to them as they were hitting a win streak. They also beat the Ravens. So, again, we've lost to no bad teams this year. I wonder, if we go back to games Ben did not play in, and were against bad teams, how many of those game did we win? I honestly do not know the answer. It might be zero. But, it would be worth checking out.

- - - Updated - - -

We're not, right now. But we'll go back to west coast starting in March and stay there until next November. At least, that's what my clock says. :chuckle: Well we played 4 bad teams this year and won them all. Bengals twice, Miami and Chargers. I don't think the Brows are a bad team just under achievers.

Fire Goodell
12-03-2019, 05:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

We're not, right now. But we'll go back to west coast starting in March and stay there until next November. At least, that's what my clock says. :chuckle:

A lot of them are probably on Ben. He throws more interceptions in road games, and since 2009, the game plan was to air it out 40+ times. Turning the ball over = a good way to lose to lesser competition.

Now they're asking Hodges to throw under 25 times and pound the rock 40+ times. There's less turnovers with this game plan and less that can go wrong. Is it pretty? No, but it's a proven way to win, especially if you have a top 5 defense.

NCSteeler
12-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Sloppy young, very sacked QB. This is why I'm starting Steelers defense in my fantasy playoffs.

Defense 14 points offense 10

Seal the deal 24-10 only because Danny's wonderful STs

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

12-03-2019, 10:51 PM
A lot of them are probably on Ben. He throws more interceptions in road games, and since 2009, the game plan was to air it out 40+ times. Turning the ball over = a good way to lose to lesser competition.

Now they're asking Hodges to throw under 25 times and pound the rock 40+ times. There's less turnovers with this game plan and less that can go wrong. Is it pretty? No, but it's a proven way to win, especially if you have a top 5 defense. I get what you are saying and good point! Not my point though and just Ben's demeanor in those games against bad teams. You could tell the first series he was in, like he didn't care to be there. No fire in him whatsoever when he played bad teams for the most part unless it was a prime time game!

Butch
12-04-2019, 03:23 AM
Oh great another thread derailed by the lets blame Ben crowd, and here I thought this was a thread about feelings for the Cards game...silly me.

So where is this proof that Ben has no desire to be there? Are you referring to the game in Oakland last year when Tomlin could have put Ben back into the game in the 2nd 1/2 but didn't because he didn't want to mess with the flow of the game? You know the one where the offense was going 3 over and over again..That game??? or was it another game in Oakland where the D gave up a 90 plus yard run to the QB (I think Carr). Maybe it was that Denver game where the T.E. decided going for style points was more important than giving the team real points, or the fumbles by the RB...that game??? Yeah I can see what you mean it's all Ben's fault.:jerkit:

Ben may not be perfect, but to say he's disinterested is a freaking joke.

Rotorhead
12-05-2019, 09:48 AM
So . . . Back the the game at hand, I think as long as we can stop the big plays this week, we should take this game. The Cards are full of holes on both sides but can hit the big play.

We should be able to run better this week, so just an average passing game should be fine, won’t need the big plays down field so much this week, Duck can work on his short to med passing game, getting the TEs involved and work on his progressions.

NCSteeler
12-05-2019, 10:16 AM
This is a game I expect them let Duck work behind the running game. Another week for duck to learn develop and hopefully win

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Fire Goodell
12-05-2019, 01:56 PM
If they can protect Duck from Chandler Jones and Suggs, this will be a W. If not, it'll be a long day. Honestly the only players from the Cardinals that scare me are those two.

Squeegee Thompson
12-05-2019, 02:03 PM
This is not the year for letdown games, because the Steelers simply aren't in a position where they can even 'play down' to their competition. Every game is either a 'pick 'em' or Steelers taking a few points. So, I don't see these guys coming in sloppy and unprepared the way we'd all have expected the last few years. Not this year.

24-17 Steelers, with 10 points coming off of turnovers. The game won't be as close as the score indicates.

DesertSteel
12-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Conner our. Shocker!

pczach
12-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Conner our. Shocker!

The sad part is that I think it was a mistake to play him in the game he reinjured his shoulder. I could tell from the first time he handled the ball in that game that he was trying to avoid contact with his shoulder.

It's a shame that he has had injury issues when he gets significant playing time. I believe he's a quality back when healthy. Unfortunately, his lack of availability needs to improve or the team will have no choice but to part ways with him if he wants significant money.

It sucks, because I love everything about James Conner the person. I hope he has just had a run of bad luck and he heals fully and becomes a much more reliable option.

DesertSteel
12-06-2019, 08:41 PM
The sad part is that I think it was a mistake to play him in the game he reinjured his shoulder. I could tell from the first time he handled the ball in that game that he was trying to avoid contact with his shoulder.

It's a shame that he has had injury issues when he gets significant playing time. I believe he's a quality back when healthy. Unfortunately, his lack of availability needs to improve or the team will have no choice but to part ways with him if he wants significant money.

It sucks, because I love everything about James Conner the person. I hope he has just had a run of bad luck and he heals fully and becomes a much more reliable option.
I couldn’t agree more. I had high hopes for this season that he could stay on the field. It just goes that way with some guys. I hope things change for his and the team’s sake.

Moose
12-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Conner our. Shocker!

Conner who ? Time to get rid of the glass china doll......useless to us.

cubanstogie
12-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Conner who ? Time to get rid of the glass china doll......useless to us.
I wouldn't go that far, but going forward he is always going to be part of a RB by committee guy. I really don't fault the guy for injuries. RB's get the shit beat out of them. He plays hard like Vance does but they are both injury prone. Doesn't mean to cut and run. Hard to imagine him playing for more than 2 more years.

DesertSteel
12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't go that far, but going forward he is always going to be part of a RB by committee guy. I really don't fault the guy for injuries. RB's get the shit beat out of them. He plays hard like Vance does but they are both injury prone. Doesn't mean to cut and run. Hard to imagine him playing for more than 2 more years.
Definitely have to pickup a RB in the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2019, 11:21 AM
The sad part is that I think it was a mistake to play him in the game he reinjured his shoulder. .

True, an AC sprain if its a grade 1 can come back relatively quick, but something tells me it was grade 2 or worse by the way he carried it off the field. Should have never put him back on the field in 3 weeks like he was.

teegre
12-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Definitely have to pickup a RB in the draft.

Fortunately, this is the draft to get one. There should be about 10 going anywhere from 40-90... much like the year that Hunt, Kamara, and Conner were drafted.

DesertSteel
12-08-2019, 11:41 AM
If the number of Steelers jerseys outside the stadium is any indicator, it’s gonna be a Steelers home game.

teegre
12-08-2019, 11:50 AM
If the number of Steelers jerseys outside the stadium is any indicator, it’s gonna be a Steelers home game.

I’m so bummed that I’m not there. :(

I had class yesterday... and didn’t want to make the drive this morning.

pczach
12-08-2019, 12:01 PM

That's right...you're there today.

Have a great time man! I hope you bring us good luck!

EzraTank
12-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Watching the highlights now on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSaS5mQjUs) and it's disgusting that Hicks wasn't ejected after he should have been called TWICE on the same drive for shots to the head. I'm willing to bet the officials didn't flag him when he knocked off Samuels helmet because they knew the rules would have forced them to eject him.

HollywoodSteel
12-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Watching the highlights now on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSaS5mQjUs) and it's disgusting that Hicks wasn't ejected after he should have been called TWICE on the same drive for shots to the head. I'm willing to bet the officials didn't flag him when he knocked off Samuels helmet because they knew the rules would have forced them to eject him.

He definitely should have been flagged for the second helmet to helmet hit, but is it a rule that he’d be ejected for two of those?

I know it’s a rule that you’re ejected for two unsportsmanlike penalties, but not necessarily two personal fouls.

I totally get the instinct to want the guy ejected, and maybe in this case it was blatant - I’m not sure, I only watched it once - but in general I’d rather err on not throwing people out for that kind of thing unless it’s clearly dirty and intentional. Absolutely throw the flag, and fine them. I think that’s necessary given the way we are trying to protect players.

I’m just always wary of throwing people out for bang bang plays that aren’t clearly with intention to harm. But I totally acknowledge that disagreeing with me on this is reasonable.

EzraTank
12-09-2019, 01:50 PM
He definitely should have been flagged for the second helmet to helmet hit, but is it a rule that he’d be ejected for two of those?

I know it’s a rule that you’re ejected for two unsportsmanlike penalties, but not necessarily two personal fouls.

I totally get the instinct to want the guy ejected, and maybe in this case it was blatant - I’m not sure, I only watched it once - but in general I’d rather err on not throwing people out for that kind of thing unless it’s clearly dirty and intentional. Absolutely throw the flag, and fine them. I think that’s necessary given the way we are trying to protect players.

I’m just always wary of throwing people out for bang bang plays that aren’t clearly with intention to harm. But I totally acknowledge that disagreeing with me on this is reasonable.

I didn't care if he got ejected really, but I'm pretty sure if you get flagged for two hits to the head in a game it carries and automatic ejection which I why I think he wasn't flagged. The Second hit was way worse than the first on Edmunds. I hate "automatic" rules. It should be left up to the officials to decide that stuff.