PDA

View Full Version : Brahns @ Stillers gameballs & goats

GoSlash27
12-01-2019, 03:13 PM
I've got to give my game ball to Bud Dupree. Pay the man. Honorable mentions to Benny Snell Football ® and Duck Hodges.

Edman
12-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Duck Hodges in the 21st and a half quarter century.

Benny Snell.

James Washington

Steelers Defense.

Honorable Mention to Myles Garrett. Thanks to his stupid ass, Duck started today's game.

No goats.

Fuck the Browns.

Fire Goodell
12-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Game balls Duck, Washington, Snell, Haden, Watt, Dupree, Hargrave

Goats Diontae Johnson, Refs

GoSlash27
12-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Goats Diontae Johnson, Refs

^ Tru dat. I don't usually complain about officiating after the fact, but those were some ridiculous calls.

tube517
12-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Game ball to Zach Banner for his readiness during the Victory formation.

Craic
12-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Game Balls:

Hodges: It is officially duck season, and this duck is doing the hunting. Beautiful throws downfield. One INT, but at this point, I'm not sure whether it was his fault or the WR as it looks as though he was throwing a go route and the receiver stopped his route.
Watt: Does anything else have to be said?
Defense in general: I thought this game was going to be ugly after the first three drives. But they really came out and shut down a very good Browns offense in the second half.
Coaches: I know it's not a popular thought on this board, but Tomlin was right in pulling Mason and keeping with Duck today. Fichtner call it conservative until Duck had a feel for the game, and then let him go. Well done. All D coaches belong in the previous mention.
Washington: He is truly coming into his own.

Goats:

Refs: Take a look in previous game threads and posts over the last almost-decade on this board. I do not often complain about the refs. But, today, I was thoroughly confused by what they let go vs. what they called. Dupree clearly hit the QB as he was passing, and also arched himself over the QB as he went to the ground so as not to put his weight on the QB. The ball downed at the 1-yard line was a joke.

BlackAndGold
12-01-2019, 04:08 PM
The refs can go fuck themselves. These guys make the game tough to watch a times.

False start on Duck??? where? he did not move.
The no call on the touch back??? it was clear the players knee was touching the ball. The ball stopped when his knee was on the ball and once he lefted his leg the ball moved again.
Roughing the passer on Dupree???? awful, just awful.

Was there anything else? i'm sure there was.

GoSlash27
12-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Tevin Jones got blatantly mugged, no PI call.

AtlantaDan
12-01-2019, 04:23 PM
The refs can go fuck themselves. These guys make the game tough to watch a times.

The no call on the touch back??? it was clear the players knee was touching the ball. The ball stopped when his knee was on the ball and once he lefted his leg the ball moved again.

Refs definite goats

That crew enjoyed committee meetings before calling something - Fouts commented on it

They got the replay review right on the Landry catch on the Browns first drive but CBS ran three minutes of commercials while it was reviewed as if it would decide the Super Bowl

Missed/picked up the flag on a block in the back on the Browns TD drive

Game balls - Duck, Snell, Washington, defense and Tomlin

Just a great win

FrancoLambert
12-01-2019, 04:24 PM

It’s the norm now, not the exception.

It’s a tough job. The game is faster than ever. Yet, we still have the games officiated by part-time, mostly middle-aged insurance executives, bank presidents...all friends of the shield.

Why not create a program that utilizes recently retired players who can no longer play but could certainly officiate at a level much higher than what we have now.

Retired ‘stars’ who made a lot of money wouldn’t be interested, but career back-ups, special teams players might. :noidea:

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 04:30 PM
I think a game ball has to go to the entire Steelers coaching staff. Stayed steady when the offense struggled early. According to the Twitter reports in the other thread, Tomlin drew up an entire new defense at half-time. Still things that drive me nuts and things to work on, but name another team in the league that is 7-5 and in the wildcard hunt after starting 1-4 and losing their elite QB, top WR, top RB, 2nd or 3rd best player on defense, and leaning on rookies and unproven 2nd year players up and down the offense? I'm guessing the answer is "not many" at best.

Also, Hargrave. Holy moly! Like Tuitt is really really good. But Hargrave makes his loss manageable. I hadn't paid attention as much before today, but are they basically a "base" 2-4-5 now? If so, that's kinda interesting/cool.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s the norm now, not the exception.

It’s a tough job. The game is faster than ever. Yet, we still have the games officiated by part-time, mostly middle-aged insurance executives, bank presidents...all friends of the shield.

Why not create a program that utilizes recently retired players who can no longer play but could certainly officiate at a level much higher than what we have now.

Retired ‘stars’ who made a lot of money wouldn’t be interested, but career back-ups, special teams players might. :noidea:

That is a great idea!

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 04:38 PM
James Washington officially unsucks.

Six Rings
12-01-2019, 04:40 PM
We are 3-0 when Duck passes it 10 times or more and would/could be 4-0 had Ju-ju not made that mistake in overtime vs. the Ravens. ( duck only had 9 passes in that game ) I think we found our QB for the rest of the seasons, and yes we can win a playoff game with him.

86WARD
12-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Game Balls
- As usual, the defense as a whole. Extra balls to Grave Digger, Watt and Haden.
- Hodges - started rough and had some moments but he did a total 180. Had some seriously nice throws...
- James Washington - My God this guy mad some ridiculous catches while being contested. His concentration was off the charts...if only he could channel that concentration before snaps.

Goats
- False start penalties...come on with that.
- Referees. There was at least 5 blown calls...Hodges false start, Missed PI on Jones, Dupree “late hit”?, the touchback that wasn’t, OPI on an interception attempt, the OBJ “completion” and I feel like I’m missing some...awful...

86WARD
12-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Also, Mike Tomlin. Coach of the Year.

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Game Balls
- As usual, the defense as a whole. Extra balls to Grave Digger, Watt and Haden.
- Hodges - started rough and had some moments but he did a total 180. Had some seriously nice throws...
- James Washington - My God this guy mad some ridiculous catches while being contested. His concentration was off the charts...if only he could channel that concentration before snaps.

Goats
- False start penalties...come on with that.
- Referees. There was at least 5 blown calls...Hodges false start, Missed PI on Jones, Dupree “late hit”?, the touchback that wasn’t, OPI on an interception attempt, the OBJ “completion” and I feel like I’m missing some...awful...

So....not to invent excuses, but propose explanations....maybe Hodges' cadence is very different and that led to guys moving early? It was weird to see so many.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 04:46 PM
We got lucky on several mental mistakes in that they didn't burn us - running out of bounds/throwing the ball away to stop the clock, miscommunication between QB/WR, personal fouls, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Game ball to Zach Banner for his readiness during the Victory formation.
Instead of posting selfies?

Craic
12-01-2019, 04:46 PM

I thought he earned that about three or four games ago. He's really coming into his own.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 04:59 PM
I thought he earned that about three or four games ago. He's really coming into his own.
If Mason Rudolph hadn't been his college QB, he could've won the Heisman!

pczach
12-01-2019, 05:02 PM
So....not to invent excuses, but propose explanations....maybe Hodges' cadence is very different and that led to guys moving early? It was weird to see so many.

It's possible that it could be a small factor with the offensive linemen. Unfortunately, many of the false starts were committed by WRs or TEs that were split out. Players not involved with in-line blocking are trained to watch the ball and go on the snap. That's just a bad screw up when they do it.

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 05:04 PM
It's possible that it could be a small factor with the offensive linemen. Unfortunately, many of the false starts were committed by WRs or TEs that were split out. Players not involved with in-line blocking are trained to watch the ball and go on the snap. That's just a bad screw up when they do it.

for sure. just wandering if the play is on 3 and Hodges "three" is longer than what the players are used to, they have a clock in their head that says "GO!" and it was just a split second early? Or they were just making dumb mistakes. Either? Both?

BlackAndGold
12-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Ben is going to love this receiving corp when he returns.

pczach
12-01-2019, 05:14 PM
for sure. just wandering if the play is on 3 and Hodges "three" is longer than what the players are used to, they have a clock in their head that says "GO!" and it was just a split second early? Or they were just making dumb mistakes. Either? Both?

It could happen here and there. We see it all the time, but most of these penalties were players moving long before anyone else moved. Maybe they forgot the snap count? It was pretty sloppy IMO.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 05:18 PM
As usual, win or lose, goat to Dan Fouts and me having to listen to him on another Steelers telecast. They should revoke his Hall of Fame status due to his broadcasting career. You might be able to call him the master of the obvious, but he never pays close enough attention to even get the obvious stuff right.

Steeler-in-west
12-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Gameball to Washington, Hodges, Snell and the defense in general, also Tomlin and the coaching staff, I don’t think Belichick could do better under these conditions

goat to Baron on that touchdown by the browns, I think it was he that was out of position, refs, like others are saying, we won in spite of their terrible calls

teegre
12-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Duck gets better when the stage gets bigger. Ergo, I cannot wait to see how well he performs in the upcoming Super Bowl. :wink02:

AtlantaDan
12-01-2019, 06:52 PM
As usual, win or lose, goat to Dan Fouts and me having to listen to him on another Steelers telecast. They should revoke his Hall of Fame status due to his broadcasting career. You might be able to call him the master of the obvious, but he never pays close enough attention to even get the obvious stuff right.

Fouts is in his late 60s and it is time to move on

I have no idea how getting a network football announcing gig has become a lifetime appointment for these guys

Only one I recall getting canned was Phil Simms after he had been terrible for years

Shoes
12-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Steelers game ball, no goats with a win.

teegre
12-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Honorable mention to Benny Snell’s spinner mouthpiece.

tube517
12-01-2019, 07:01 PM
When BJ Finney starts, Steelers are 11-1

teegre
12-01-2019, 07:02 PM
When BJ Finney starts, Steelers are 11-1

That... is an interesting stat.

Shoes
12-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Honorable mention to Benny Snell’s spinner mouthpiece.

:lol: I thought he was sucking on a pacifier at first glance.

teegre
12-01-2019, 07:07 PM
:lol: I thought he was sucking on a pacifier at first glance.

There’s a player who has one. No joke. It looks like a binky. :toofunny:

Iron Steeler
12-01-2019, 07:10 PM
who's that kid from clemson? you see him drag his defender like for a first down like he was child?!

Game ball:Defense
Goats: Oline false starts

Duck didnt kill us.

teegre
12-01-2019, 07:18 PM
who's that kid from clemson? you see him drag his defender like for a first down like he was child?!

Deon Cain

st33lersguy
12-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Balls: Duck Dodger has played better than Rudolph and has been steady, not great but steady. Snell: Starting to look like a good NFL RB. Washington: Had his best game. Pass Rush: Suffocating. Haden: Hey Cleveland how does it feel to have a former player win it for your rivals

Goats: Refs: They are the worst aspect of the NFL, worse than any NFL team (even the Bengals). Freddie Kitchens: For being an all around jackass. Myles "Jussie Smollets" Garrett: I know he didn't play, but his actions last Cleveland game and his race card playing deserve a goat none-the-less.

ETL
12-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Refs were putrid today.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 10:42 PM
Apparently, all this team needs is 300 yards of total offense and 20 points to win games. That's doable.

Butch
12-02-2019, 05:45 AM
Refs were putrid today.

It's not just today they are putrid every week and I am not just talking about Steeler games but across the board. Their calls have gifted the packers, ravens and cheats games this year and have had significant impacts on other games as well. The league office not doing anything about it only brings it more to the forefront that the game is rigged to help certain teams win. Great teams can over come bad officiating but it is the exception not the rule.

86WARD
12-02-2019, 06:05 AM

You’d think that would’ve been the case last week as well...no? Don’t recall it being an issue in his first start either. Maybe these guys were just overly aggressive to get at it...:dunno:

AtlantaDan
12-02-2019, 07:21 AM
That... is an interesting stat.

So is this, but not in a good way - Fichtner needs to shred whatever script he is working from for opening drives

86WARD
12-02-2019, 08:04 AM
May want to look at that game script...lol

Squeegee Thompson
12-02-2019, 08:17 AM

The linesman was incredibly trigger-happy with the false starts yesterday. The kind of tiny movements that usually are let go were getting flagged. Some of those were legit, but some of them were phantom calls.

It seemed like they were dialed in to call false starts. Offensive holding against Watt, Dupree, Heyward and Hargrave which was going on all. day. long? Not so much.

teegre
12-02-2019, 08:39 AM
So is this, but not in a good way - Fichtner needs to shred whatever script he is working from for opening drives

FICHTNER: Let’s see here, what do we have... “Bio-Dome 2”... that sounds like a great script!!!

86WARD
12-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Tomlin gave Pouncey a Game Ball yesterday.

Steelerchad
12-03-2019, 08:36 PM
The refs were pitiful in this game. Not just the blown calls, but the timing of them. The downed punt that should have been a touchback was late in the 4th as was the Dupree late hit. Both gave the Browns a big advantage to score the tying TD.

The only player I was unhappy with was Dionte Johnson. 2 bonehead plays. Totally gave up on the INT. If he hustles he may be able to break it up or at least touch him down prior to a return. Just as bad was him running out of bounds with a little over 2 minutes left on a first down catch. Clock rolling there and you take another 45 seconds or cost the Brown a timeout.

Craic
12-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Perhaps, but I'm not willing to put that on Fichtner yet. Seems to me that is more of a product of rookie QBs having to get into a groove and an offense having to figure out how to play the defense with the scheme they've put in for the week vs. the Steelers. Better QB can beat that, but rookie QBs don't have the experience, so it take a while. Maybe I'm wrong (I'm married, I'm wrong every day), but I would default to that position first.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-03-2019, 10:35 PM
FICHTNER: Let’s see here, what do we have... “Bio-Dome 2”... that sounds like a great script!!! Fichtner did that last year when Dobbs came into the game. run. run and pass on 3rd 11. How is that helping your young QB when the other teams defense knows that ?

Butch
12-04-2019, 02:56 AM
Fichtner did that last year when Dobbs came into the game. run. run and pass on 3rd 11. How is that helping your young QB when the other teams defense knows that ?
Yep this is what I am seeing. It seems like the 1st series is run, run pass short and punt and it takes a while for the play calling to open it up a little.

@Craic you may be partially right as well in that maybe they think the young QBs need some sort of warm up, but I still don't like it and I still blame play calling.

teegre
12-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Fichtner finds a play that works... and then proceeds to run it into the ground.

Thankfully, the plays that worked well for Duck were deepe(er) passes. So, even if these plays get run into the ground, at least the safeties are forced to play deep enough to allow for the run plays to be successful.