PDA

View Full Version : Who should be our primary back with Conner hurt?

Six Rings
11-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Conner is having a disappointing season. In eight games started, he has only passed the 60 -yard mark once and achieved better than 4 yards a carry twice. His acceleration to the hole., ability to break tackles, and create big plays as a runner and a pass catcher is just are not there. Blame injuries, or poor QB play making defenses focus on him more if you must. If this was Conner's contract year, no way would I want to give him a 4 year deal at market value. He's too injury prone. And he's likely out for the next game with a shoulder injury next week, or should be as he has two shoulder injuries in the same area this season.

I've seen enough of Samules to know he's just not a natural running back, and Edmunds never really stood out.

That brings us to two backs. Benny Snell, and Kerrith Whyte.

Snell is the better power back, the type who can run out the clock when the Steelers have the lead. He's very likely the better pass protector, but he's not a big playback, more of a 4 yards and a cloud of dust type, who going to run in-between the tackles and requires good blocking to hit a good play.

Whyte in his Steeler debut flashed quickness, acceleration, and one cut ability. He has the speed to beat a defender to the corner. You could say he's harder for a defense to prepare for. He's also more likely to hit the big play that will lead to points and in an office where the QB and WR's are struggling, this is key. In his debut, he averaged 7.2 yards a carry. Even if you took away his long run of 21 yards, he's still a 4.4 yards a clip, so it wasn't just one run for him. With better familiarity with the playbook and his lineman, we could see more of the same next week. In college, he has two kick return scores and in his senior year, he averages 16.0 yards per catch, meaning he might be our best screen back, if the OC calls call these plays.

I'm pretty sure Tomlin will name Snell the starter and give him more carries. The way he should approach who playing is situational football, which is not his forte as a head coach.

Here's how I would like to see it:

Near the goal line, 2nd and short, or to run out the clock with the lead, play Snell more often.

When it's 1st down and 10 or 2nd and long, play Whyte more often.

On 3rd and short, if you want the back in to block and help out Big Al, go with Snell as the blocker/dump-off pass option.

On a planed screen play, go with Whyte. My hunch is he would be excellent as a screen back.

Fire Goodell
11-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Snell. He's the most complete back besides Conner. He is a decent receiver and a biggie is he's also money in pass pro

Six Rings
11-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Snell. He's the most complete back besides Conner. He is a decent receiver and a biggie is he's also money in pass pro

I say do it by situational football, and if Whyte can do it again, give him the ball at the expense of some of Snell's carries.

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Go with the hot hand, which is Snell. Use Samuels in the passing game and bring the new kid in as a change of pace back for about 8-10 touches.

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Go with the hot hand, which is Snell. Use Samuels in the passing game and bring the new kid in as a change of pace back for about 8-10 touches.

Agree on all 3 points. :thumbsup:

Rotorhead
11-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Agreed

tube517
11-26-2019, 05:30 PM
I think Fichtner wants Vance McDonald as his primary back. :coffee:

FrancoLambert
11-27-2019, 02:56 PM
I think Fichtner wants Vance McDonald as his primary back. :coffee:

Is McDonald even playing this season?

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Is McDonald even playing this season?
I saw his picture on a milk carton.

- - - Updated - - -

This sad offense just screams for more TE action.... yet....