PDA

View Full Version : Have We Entered The Duck Dynasty?

86WARD
11-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Mike Tomlin: “We’ll see what next week holds next week.” He also said Mason wasn’t doing enough and he liked what he saw from Duck and his readiness. “That’s how we get down.”

Versus the Bengals:

• Rudolph: 8/16 - 85 yards - 0 TD/1 INT - 39.8 Rating.

• Hodges: 5/11 - 118 yards - 1 TD/0 INT - 115 Rating.

86WARD
11-24-2019, 05:08 PM
There was one play that really stood out to me from Duck. If I remember correctly, he rolled to the right and threw a pass low and incomplete...very slim possibility that the receiver would catch it but it was out of the reach of coverage which was extremely good. He not only avoided the sack but made a great decision to throw the ball low and away to keep the drive alive and not risk a turnover.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Mike Tomlin: “We’ll see what next week holds next week.” He also said Mason wasn’t doing enough and he liked what he saw from Duck and his readiness. “That’s how we get down.”

Versus the Bengals:

• Rudolph: 8/16 - 85 yards - 0 TD/1 INT - 39.8 Rating.

• Hodges: 5/11 - 118 yards - 1 TD/0 INT - 115 Rating.Rudolph's only decent throw down field was to Cain . It was under thrown and Cain made a nice catch.

Edman
11-24-2019, 05:13 PM
I can only hope so.

This is why a benching is a bad idea. A benching is a risk and effectively means that quarterback is destroyed and you cannot go back to him. Rudolph is finished. Tomlin just destroyed a quarterback right before our eyes. The Steelers won the game, but at what cost?

Let’s see what Hodges does will full time work.

11-24-2019, 05:16 PM
There was one play that really stood out to me from Duck. If I remember correctly, he rolled to the right and threw a pass low and incomplete...very slim possibility that the receiver would catch it but it was out of the reach of coverage which was extremely good. He not only avoided the sack but made a great decision to throw the ball low and away to keep the drive alive and not risk a turnover. Agreed and it turn into a PI call to keep the drive alive.

- - - Updated - - -

I can only hope so.

This is why a benching is a bad idea. A benching is a risk and effectively means that quarterback is destroyed and you cannot go back to him. Rudolph is finished. Tomlin just destroyed a quarterback right before our eyes. The Steelers won the game, but at what cost?

Let’s see what Hodges does will full time work. Sometimes you got to destroy a QB before he destroys your season. Tomlin gave Rudy enough games this season to have his shot.

Edman
11-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Agreed and it turn into a PI call to keep the drive alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you got to destroy a QB before he destroys your season. Tomlin gave Rudy enough games this season to have his shot.

Hodges better play lights out for his sake. We cannot go back to Rudy.

steelcityboyz
11-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Hodges better play lights out for his sake. We cannot go back to Rudy.So, we cannot go back to Rudy? big deal he hasn't done shit all year anyways.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Hodges better play lights out for his sake. We cannot go back to Rudy.

Why not? Duck and Mason are placeholders

Unless Ben’s surgery fails whoever takes snaps for the last 5 games is not starting after that until 2022 unless Ben is injured

Neither of them is the long term successor

11-24-2019, 06:10 PM

Unless Ben’s surgery fails whoever takes snaps for the last 5 games is not starting after that until 2022 unless Ben is injured

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Neither of them is the long term successor It matters cause this season is not over yet and you want the best one out of the two playing.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 06:19 PM
It matters cause this season is not over yet and you want the best one out of the two playing.

I agree

In the second half today that was Duck

By the second half of the Browns or Arizona games that may be Rudolph

I would be surprised if Duck makes it through the end of the season without being pulled at some point

43Hitman
11-24-2019, 06:26 PM
I agree

In the second half today that was Duck

By the second half of the Browns or Arizona games that may be Rudolph

I would be surprised if Duck makes it through the end of the season without being pulled at some point

Me too.

Mojouw
11-24-2019, 06:37 PM
At this point, I’d be willing to throw Lynch into the mix and see what happens.

Rotorhead
11-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Why? We know what we have in MR, now we need to see what we have in Duck. He can at least lead WRs on crossing routes (the reason I wanted MR in the preseason, he was able to lead WRs and since has failed to do) and see open WRs and move out of the pocket. We literally have nothing to lose with riding out the season with Duck. Duck, at this point, is already playing better than MR with 1 week of practice with the 1s all season. We will see what he can do next week against a good Def and a team that is going to play dirty.

Edit: this was a response to benching Duck

Steeldude
11-24-2019, 06:56 PM
But, but, but I thought Hodges was useless and just a camp arm? There is no way he could replace Rudolph

Steeler-in-west
11-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Whoever can move the ball. Whoever it is, I’ll feel better about it with Conner, Nix, and Juju back.

RunNGun
11-24-2019, 07:00 PM
I can only hope so.

Rudolph needed benched. It wasn't a bad idea. It probably won us the football game. I couldn't care less if it has destroyed him. He's a career backup at best. If we do have to go back to him and he's terrible, which I fully expect, then we can call some bum off the street not named Kaepernick to take his place. There's no risk in this. He has no future as a starter in the NFL.

11-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Whoever can move the ball. Whoever it is, I’ll feel better about it with Conner, Nix, and Juju back. I thought Nix was on the IR and done for the season ?

BlackAndGold
11-24-2019, 07:37 PM
Maybe he starts next week but I doubt this is the last time we see Rudolph this year.

43Hitman
11-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Maybe he starts next week but I doubt this is the last time we see Rudolph this year.
Me too. I will root for Hodges just as hard as I rooted for Mason, I just don't think that either of these guys are the answer at this point.

86WARD
11-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Hodges has already shown better pocket presence and the ability to get a throw off in and out of the pocket without being obstructed by an offensive linemen in his face or a defender reaching around a linemen on his heals.

pczach
11-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Me too. I will root for Hodges just as hard as I rooted for Mason, I just don't think that either of these guys are the answer at this point.

I agree. I am rooting hard for whoever is behind center.

Now we have to see how Hodges performs when defenses prepare for him. Just as I said with Rudolph, it's always a lot different when NFL teams prepare for you.....always.

I hope Duck succeeds and proves he is much more than everyone thought when he came out of college. Now we get to see if he can adjust his game, and be able to still succeed when defenses make him play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

HollywoodSteel
11-24-2019, 08:12 PM
I thought Nix was on the IR and done for the season ?

That’s correct. Nix is on IR.

Edman
11-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Rudolph needed benched. It wasn't a bad idea. It probably won us the football game. I couldn't care less if it has destroyed him. He's a career backup at best. If we do have to go back to him and he's terrible, which I fully expect, then we can call some bum off the street not named Kaepernick to take his place. There's no risk in this. He has no future as a starter in the NFL.

Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted. The Steelers blew a third round pick on Mason. A third round pick.

The Steelers won the game and Rudolph was benched today, but I fear that the Steelers sacrificed potential long-term results for short-term gains. Tomlin threw a young struggling quarterback under the bus to beat a weak opponent and stave off yet another coaching embarrassment (that has become commonplace under him even with Ben), even though the offensive struggles this year weren't completely his fault. Benching Mason today shows Tomlin's willingness to bail on a quarterback at the first sign of trouble, there's nothing stopping Tomlin from doing the same with Hodges, or the next guy, or the guy after that, to save his own hide.

The Steelers play the Browns again next week at Heinz. It's a calculated risk that for Tomlin's sake better work. All I've got to say is Hodges better destroy people from here on.

teegre
11-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted.

The Steelers won the game and Rudolph was benched today, but I fear that the Steelers sacrificed potential long-term results for short-term gains. Tomlin threw a young struggling quarterback under the bus to beat a weak opponent and stave off yet another coaching embarrassment (that has become commonplace under him even with Ben), even though the offensive struggles this year weren't completely his fault. Benching Mason today shows Tomlin's willingness to bail on a quarterback at the first sign of trouble, there's nothing stopping Tomlin from doing the same with Hodges, or the next guy, or the guy after that, to save his own hide.

The Steelers play the Browns again next week at Heinz. It's a calculated risk that for Tomlin's sake better work. All I've got to say is Hodges better destroy people from here on.

First sign??? :noidea: Rudolph has 5 INTs in his last 28 attempts.

Edman
11-24-2019, 08:44 PM
First sign??? :noidea: Rudolph has 5 INTs in his last 28 attempts.

After leading the Steelers to three straight wins weeks prior. We had a quarterback throw five in one game not too long ago. The difference here is that said quarterback is a two time Super Bowl champion and would quickly get Tomlin jettisoned out of town if he looked at him wrong and the other is just a backup.

Don't act like this is some calculated and "smart" coaching move by Tomlin.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Fair enough. But be careful what you wish for regarding that mindset pulling the plug on quarterbacks so quickly. That Browns jersey with all of the quarterbacks names on the back of it may end up looking like a Steelers one soon. To call it "no risk" is very short-sighted. The Steelers blew a third round pick on Mason. A third round pick.

“First sign of trouble”?

What was the Browns game? A mixed triumph?

If you buy a stock at $20 and it drops to $10 it might get back to $20 - it also might go to zero

At some point you need to pull the trigger and cut your losses

teegre
11-24-2019, 08:53 PM
After leading the Steelers to three straight wins weeks prior. We had a quarterback throw five in one game not too long ago. The difference here is that said quarterback is a two time Super Bowl champion and would quickly get Tomlin jettisoned out of town if he looked at him wrong and the other is just a backup.

Don't act like this is some calculated and "smart" coaching move by Tomlin.

Uh... okay. :toofunny:

Edman
11-24-2019, 08:57 PM
“First sign of trouble”?

What was the Browns game? A mixed triumph?

If you buy a stock at $20 and it drops to $10 it might get back to $20 - it also might go to zero

At some point you need to pull the trigger and cut your losses

So in hindsight, Do you still give up a first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick after Ben does down for the year?

pczach
11-24-2019, 09:13 PM

In the game day thread, you said it was time to move on from Rudolph. You are so full of it. Now you're setting things up to kill Tomlin no matter how this works out.

Here's a direct quote from you from today's game day thread:

"Officially benched. Ain't never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn't getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get 'em Duck."

And this one:

"Don't give Rudolph the reins back."

The quotes in bold are yours, yet you are now ready to kill Tomlin if the 3rd string QB doesn't "destroy people from here on".

Dude, you just say things and contradict yourself at every turn. On one hand, you say poor Rudolph didn't get any help from his teammates and that he was set up to fail, but now Hodges needs to light it up with basically the same cast of characters or Tomlin is a jackass? None of that makes any sense....as usual.

teegre
11-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Charlie Batch tweeted that it’s now Duck’s team.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 09:39 PM
So in hindsight, Do you still give up a first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick after Ben does down for the year?

In hindsight absolutely since it is a steal in getting Minkah for what probably is not going to be a top 10 first round pick

Assuming that has the slightest thing to do with Mason, Duck and/or the long term QB situation, I do not see a great QB prospect who would have been around even if the season blew up and the Steelers drafted in the top 10. That is for reasons including this not being a vintage year for college QBs and that whoever is drafted probably will not start for several years unless Ben has Bradshaw like complications from his elbow surgery - the Steelers would not max out the benefit of having a good QB on his rookie deal even if they guessed right when drafting one

teegre
11-24-2019, 09:44 PM
In hindsight absolutely since it is a steal in getting Minkah for what probably is not going to be a top 10 first round pick

Assuming that has the slightest thing to do with Mason, Duck and/or the long term QB situation, I do not see a great QB prospect who would have been around even if the season blew up and the Steelers drafted in the top 10. That is for reasons including this not being a vintage year for college QBs and that whoever is drafted probably will not start for several years unless Ben has Bradshaw like complications from his elbow surgery - the Steelers would not max out the benefit of having a good QB on his rookie deal even if they guessed right when drafting one

Spot on :nod: Burrow, Tua, Herbert... they are all about as good as Matt Ryan.

Give me Minkah Fitzpatrick... and Jacob Eason in R2.

Rotorhead
11-24-2019, 11:09 PM
If MR is going to be an NFL QB he will take this adversity and do everything he can to get better, otherwise he wasn’t tuff enough to handle life as an NFL QB anyway. We have seen everything that MR can give us at this point, now we can see what Duck has, starting with the upcoming Browns revenge game.

steelreserve
11-24-2019, 11:17 PM

You mean Matt Ryan, the 10th leading passer in the history of the game?

... God, I hate these stupid rules.

Craic
11-24-2019, 11:28 PM
I can only hope so.

At the cost of not extending an experiment that wasn't working. Mason has gone down hill in each of his last three games. The moment they opened up the offense, he ceased being at all effective. The funny thing is, I was actually happy with his arm-strength today, at least for a couple of passes. However, he made terrible decisions and has regressed horribly.

And, if a single benching destroys a QB, then he doesn't have the mental toughness needed to play in the NFL anyway. Let Mason rest a while. Maybe he comes back and gets it right. Maybe he proves in camp next summer that he has worked through some of his problems. Maybe he proves it this week in practice. But that was a good call today and it won us the game.

Fire Goodell
11-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Hopefully he can become Long Duck Dong and not Small Duck Dong

Craic
11-24-2019, 11:36 PM
So in hindsight, Do you still give up a first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick after Ben does down for the year? Without hindsight, no way. With hindsight, absolutely.

86WARD
11-25-2019, 06:55 AM

If the Steelers next QB is some version of Matt Ryan, I’ll be pretty happy...lol

JnK
11-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Don't misunderstand this because in no way am I saying these two are in the same class, however, for those of you who think this move just destroyed Rudolph let's not forget that Bradshaw was benched as well and it didn't destroy him. I'm happy that Tomlin made this move yesterday because it needed to be done but by no means do I think it destroyed Mason. We'll see what kind of character he shows in how he handles this.

steel striker
11-25-2019, 08:20 AM
I think Duck makes quicker reads and, maybe better decisions and, think about he was thrown in the Ravens in previous weeks played well. I like what I see in him.

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 08:27 AM
I doubt his psyche is that damaged after being pulled. It's not the first time, and probably won't be the last.

Tomlin has given him opportunities. We are still in the hunt, so we can't just scrap games for evaluation.
If we're out of it already, then you let him ride it out no matter what.

I'd gamble Mason starts against the Browns, but it might be the best idea to keep him out... just for the sake of the opponent.

Mojouw
11-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Benching only breaks players when they are being yo-yod in and out based on no clear criteria. I don’t think anyone’s confused why Mason got benched. He stunk against a comically inept defense.

Plus, what would broken look like? Not much worse to get to.

teegre
11-25-2019, 09:02 AM
If the Steelers next QB is some version of Matt Ryan, I’ll be pretty happy...lol

True... but, I am happier that we have Ed Reed.

My Matty Ice comparison is basically the ceiling; none of them are on Big Ben’s level. I do not mind missing out on them, in favor of acquiring Fitzpatrick.

I’d rather go the Taperiots’ route: draft QB after QB in R2 or R3. Maybe you hit on one, maybe you don’t. Garappolo was a hit. Brissett was a hit. (But, unlike the Taperiots, we won’t allow our starting QB to run his heir out of town.)

Mason could develop. We have two years to find out. If not, he leaves. In the meantime, we should draft a QB next year and again the year after that (just like the Taperiots have done).

Jacob Eason in R2 was the best high school QB prospect in the country. He has flaws, but much like Kyle Allen (who I pegged as a starter years ago) the raw talent is undeniable.

Eason + Fitzpatrick > R1QB + Sean Davis

T&B fan
11-25-2019, 12:42 PM
quack quack

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 12:47 PM
quack quack

Which was ironically the same sound Mason's INT made...

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 01:00 PM
I don't see anything in Duck more than flashes. Sure, it might turn into more. He definitely deserves to be on an NFL roster, but when he faced a defense that was designed to stop the pass yesterday, he looked very unbrilliant.

Fire Goodell
11-25-2019, 01:08 PM
I don't see anything in Duck more than flashes. Sure, it might turn into more. He definitely deserves to be on an NFL roster, but when he faced a defense that was designed to stop the pass yesterday, he looked very unbrilliant.

That's the thing, Duck flashes. I haven't seen a single flash from Mason, besides for a few broken coverages on defense.

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Which would be fine because even if he only hits a few passes, the defense has to respect that more than from the current passes Mason has been throwing. It has already been discussed in the last weeks that his throws are mostly, if not all, outside the numbers and within 5 yards of the LOS. There have been limited throws between the hashes. I think Duck is seeing that middle more effectively and once the defense has to honor that threat, it started moving guys back. In turn, loosening up the LOS for the run. We're going nowhere .vs stacked boxes. We have to have some kind of middle/deep pass game. Something Mason just hasn't had the past couple weeks.

Mojouw
11-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Mason R needed to get benched.

But let's not wet ourselves in excitement for a guy who, after the Washington TD, went 3-9 for 28 yards. The same guy who against the Chargers ran an "offense" that would have embarrassed some high school teams.

I'm rooting for them both. But the Steelers are currently receiving the WORST QB play in the entire league outside of Trubisky. Maybe the Allens? Still, bottom 10%.

HollywoodSteel
11-25-2019, 02:43 PM

My Matty Ice comparison is basically the ceiling; none of them are on Big Ben’s level. I do not mind missing out on them, in favor of acquiring Fitzpatrick.

I’d rather go the Taperiots’ route: draft QB after QB in R2 or R3. Maybe you hit on one, maybe you don’t. Garappolo was a hit. Brissett was a hit. (But, unlike the Taperiots, we won’t allow our starting QB to run his heir out of town.)

Mason could develop. We have two years to find out. If not, he leaves. In the meantime, we should draft a QB next year and again the year after that (just like the Taperiots have done).

Jacob Eason in R2 was the best high school QB prospect in the country. He has flaws, but much like Kyle Allen (who I pegged as a starter years ago) the raw talent is undeniable.

Interesting. But I can’t see us using a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a QB next year. And I really don’t think we should. We need to try and squeeze another Super Bowl our of BR now that we have a defense that can do it.

I think 2021 is when we start looking for QBs again. It would be great if Mason really does just need a few years to cook... but at this point I just don’t see it. Kind of like a Josh Dobbs situation without the athleticism. I honestly don’t what about Rudolph makes him a better prospect than any other back up. I never watched him in college. What made him seem special?

86WARD
11-25-2019, 03:11 PM

I agree with everything you’ve been saying. I’m just saying this year, next year, whatever...if we are
Stuck with a Matt Ryan to watch, I’m good with that.

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 04:49 PM
That's the thing, Duck flashes. I haven't seen a single flash from Mason, besides for a few broken coverages on defense.

Which would be fine because even if he only hits a few passes, the defense has to respect that more than from the current passes Mason has been throwing. It has already been discussed in the last weeks that his throws are mostly, if not all, outside the numbers and within 5 yards of the LOS. There have been limited throws between the hashes. I think Duck is seeing that middle more effectively and once the defense has to honor that threat, it started moving guys back. In turn, loosening up the LOS for the run. We're going nowhere .vs stacked boxes. We have to have some kind of middle/deep pass game. Something Mason just hasn't had the past couple weeks.
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, if Tomlin starts Rudolph, I won't even watch the game. I'm just pumping the brakes on the dynasty.

Fire Goodell
11-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Serious question, with Mason and his 'pedigree', does he do anything better than Duck other than be 6'5 and built physically like the 'prototypical' QB?

Duck is better at: ball placement (actually hits receivers in stride), making quick decisions, feeling out pressure, mobility / scrambling, leadership. They have similar arm strength. Sure, Hodges is a lot more ballsy and that could result in turnovers, but I rather have a QB with big balls than a scared and indecisive one

steelreserve
11-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Serious question, with Mason and his 'pedigree', does he do anything better than Duck other than be 6'5 and built physically like the 'prototypical' QB?

Duck is better at: ball placement (actually hits receivers in stride), making quick decisions, feeling out pressure, mobility / scrambling, leadership. They have similar arm strength. Sure, Hodges is a lot more ballsy and that could result in turnovers, but I rather have a QB with big balls than a scared and indecisive one

Both are going to get us into trouble. But the jig is up with Rudolph - they have figured him out and he doesn't appear to have a Plan B. So he is going to get shut down mercilessly from here on out; I predict we will win about 0 games for the rest of the season that way.

Duck is really the only choice we have at this point. It's going to be about as safe as a drunk driver steering a tanker truck full of nitroglycerine through a school zone, but the only other option is being stuck im the mud.

As long as we're on car analogies, one time I saw a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a PIECE OF SHIT TOO!" and that about summarizes where we're at right now.

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Steelers reporters who attend practice say that Rudolph has a stronger arm.

86WARD
11-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Rudolph cannot get a pass of with any kind of form though so everyone of his passes is either half assed or off target.

T&B fan
11-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Which was ironically the same sound Mason's INT made...

and was plucked out of the air .

RunNGun
11-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Both are going to get us into trouble. But the jig is up with Rudolph - they have figured him out and he doesn't appear to have a Plan B. So he is going to get shut down mercilessly from here on out; I predict we will win about 0 games for the rest of the season that way.

Duck is really the only choice we have at this point. It's going to be about as safe as a drunk driver steering a tanker truck full of nitroglycerine through a school zone, but the only other option is being stuck im the mud.

As long as we're on car analogies, one time I saw a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a PIECE OF SHIT TOO!" and that about summarizes where we're at right now.

You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

Craic
11-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Steelers reporters who attend practice say that Rudolph has a stronger arm.
When he has proper mechanics, isn't under pressure, and can focus on doing everything right. But if even one of those things disappears, he arm goes weak. He had a couple strong throws yesterday that I was happy with. Then, he had a bunch of horrible or weak throws. No thank you. I'd rather have Duck who at least can consistently get the ball out with some oomph, even if it is 3/4s what Mason can do when the stars align on the playing field.

steelreserve
11-26-2019, 01:19 AM
You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

It really depends on how much you like sticking your head up bulls' asses.

teegre
11-26-2019, 08:23 AM
I agree with everything you’ve been saying. I’m just saying this year, next year, whatever...if we are
Stuck with a Matt Ryan to watch, I’m good with that.

Oh, absolutely.

I guess my point is that this QB class maxes out at the Matt Ryan level... which is still very good. That said, there’s no need to draft a QB like that in R1; one can acquire a QB in R2 (or R3) who then develops into Matt Ryan.

In 2021, the QBs are the next group of world beaters: Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.

DesertSteel
11-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Oh, absolutely.

I guess my point is that this QB class maxes out at the Matt Ryan level... which is still very good. That said, there’s no need to draft a QB like that in R1; one can acquire a QB in R2 (or R3) who then develops into Matt Ryan.

In 2021, the QBs are the next group of world beaters: Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.
I'm intrigued by Ian Book (admittedly, I'm a ND fan). I think he has a skill set that translates to the NFL. He probably could be had in R3-4.

86WARD
11-26-2019, 11:39 AM
In his weekly press conference, Tomlin announced that Duck would start versus the Browns on Sunday.

Fire Goodell
11-26-2019, 11:50 AM
In his weekly press conference, Tomlin announced that Duck would start versus the Browns on Sunday.

Big surprise lol. Yeah you don't pull a QB from a game and start them next week (unless it's a blowout and you're protecting your players)

steel striker
11-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Yes QUACK!

tube517
11-26-2019, 04:12 PM

The Farmer and The Duck

DesertSteel
11-26-2019, 04:42 PM

The Farmer and The Duck
He needs to be studying film on his off day not duck hunting!

FrancoLambert
11-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Probably in the minority here, but who cares.

Nothing worse than a couple of macho men posing with animals they just slaughtered.

I don’t think Mallards are eaten...certainly not by NFL players.

Rotorhead
11-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Nothing worse than a couple of macho men posing with animals they just slaughtered.

Yep, minority

Fire Goodell
11-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Personally I don't mind it much if they're hunting to eat. Trophy hunting on the other hand, pisses me off. If you kill something you eat it

11-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Personally I don't mind it much if they're hunting to eat. Trophy hunting on the other hand, pisses me off. If you kill something you eat it Pretty much agree and don't care for trophy hunting.

steelreserve
11-26-2019, 11:17 PM
Personally I don't mind it much if they're hunting to eat. Trophy hunting on the other hand, pisses me off. If you kill something you eat it

no shortage of ducks in the world

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 07:13 AM
I took out a duck with a golf ball a few years ago. Dropped it mid-air. Instant death.

86WARD
11-27-2019, 07:42 AM
I took out a duck with a golf ball a few years ago. Dropped it mid-air. Instant death.

Video?

pczach
11-27-2019, 08:22 AM

I've seen it happen. I also drilled some geese that wander into and around greens in my area.

I was never personally responsible for a death though!:toofunny:

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 09:03 AM
I've seen it happen. I also drilled some geese that wander into and around greens in my area.

I was never personally responsible for a death though!:toofunny:
It was a drive off the tee of a par 5. Made contact with it about 100 yards down the fairway so it still had a lot of speed to it. Feathers everywhere! I felt really bad about it.

- - - Updated - - -

My best friend lost an eyeball to a golf ball. Has a glass eye now. Fortunately, I wasn't responsible for that one!

AtlantaDan
11-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Tomlin really thrilled about having Duck at QB :chuckle:

C'mon, coach. There has to be something good about Duck. Otherwise why did you keep him on the roster in the first place?
"We didn't keep him in the first place," Tomlin said with a laugh.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-its-time-for-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-to-support-devlin-hodges/

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Man... how much would I love to see real quarterback performance on Sunday!

AtlantaDan
11-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Man... how much would I love to see real quarterback performance on Sunday!

Fichtner will decide it is time to remind everyone of his brilliance and come out with gimmicks like the wildcat

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Fichtner will decide it is time to remind everyone of his brilliance and come out with gimmicks like the wildcat
I'd rather have a quack attack!

Fire Goodell
11-27-2019, 11:05 AM
I'd rather have a quack attack!

QB draw with the line in a "flying V" formation? :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
11-27-2019, 02:19 PM

:hatsoff:
You get it.
Hunting to eat has been a part of human existence forever. That’s a good reason for hunting.
Like you, I detest trophy hunting because it becomes nothing more than a celebration of death...” look what I did.”
Remember the dentist from Minnesota who killed the well known lion in Africa...posing in front of that majestic animal with a big shit eating grin.
He justly deserved all the backlash he received.

- - - Updated - - -

No shortage of people in the world...let’s start hunting people.
It’s a pretty basic philosophy, nothing in the extreme...respect all living things. :noidea:

FrancoLambert
11-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Yep, minority

For now.

It’s reported that the interest in hunting by the younger generations is dropping big time.

Fire Goodell
11-27-2019, 02:29 PM
For now.

It’s reported that the interest in hunting by the younger generations is dropping big time.

Lot of the younger people are going vegan lol. Where I live, there's a ton of vegan food joints popping up everywhere, it's pretty nuts

Mojouw
11-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Hunting "big game" safari animals for trophies at exorbitant fees half-way across the world is a big step from hunting deer and ducks here at home.

Even if you don't eat the venison and fowl you take, it is still a necessary action. State DNR's regulate the animal populations and how much they can be hunted. If they are not hunted enough, they will grow too large.

Heck, in some places in the states, you can hunt deer from helicopters with the state's blessing because the population now is estimated to be larger than it was in colonial times. I mean we wiped out all the predators besides us...so balance and all that.

Craic
11-27-2019, 04:56 PM

Pretty much agree and don't care for trophy hunting.
I felt the same way for a long time. Then, I had a conversation with my Uncle who was a big-game guide up in Canada. He leased about a 1000 square miles of hunting territory from the government and would fly in hunters to trophy hunt. He told me that whenever they shoot an animal, it'd be gone within a few weeks to months of them coming back. In other words, the animal didn't go to waste because it was feeding other animals. That wiped out my main concern of wasting a life for no reason. Of course, if they got an animal close to camp, they'd sometimes take it in and use it for food as well. But not often.

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 05:00 PM
#savetheducks

#watchmorefilm

steelreserve
11-27-2019, 05:12 PM
It’s a pretty basic philosophy, nothing in the extreme...respect all living things. :noidea:

You know what else is a pretty basic philosophy? Birds are fuckin' stupid, let's blow away some ducks.

Like, they used to be dinosaurs, and rampaged around eating people left and right, and now you want me to feel sorry for them because they suck so bad? FUCK THAT.

As long as you're not slaughtering endangered species by the truckload, who even cares.

11-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Wow this post really went of the tracks. Heck with it and it's deer season Monday so guess it works.

FrancoLambert
11-28-2019, 07:37 AM
You know what else is a pretty basic philosophy? Birds are fuckin' stupid, let's blow away some ducks.

Like, they used to be dinosaurs, and rampaged around eating people left and right, and now you want me to feel sorry for them because they suck so bad? FUCK THAT.

As long as you're not slaughtering endangered species by the truckload, who even cares.

Great post.

Craic
11-28-2019, 06:12 PM

That reminds me of a story. A couple of guys from the city were out duck hunting. After seeing nothing for hours, they finally see a single duck coming up off a lake. At the very edge of his range, the first guy named Bob pulls the trigger. At first, he thinks he missed, but then, the duck goes down on the other side of the lake. Bob and his buddy hike around the lake and hope a fence to get to the duck. However, to their surprise, a farmer was walking back to his house with the duck.

"Hey," Bob yells. "That's my duck!"

The old farmer stops and turns back to face him. Tapping his chest, he announces, "My property, my duck."

"But I shot him!" Bob argues. "It's my hunting license, my birdshot that killed him, so it's my duck!"

The old farmer just shakes his head. "City slickers."

Bob, however, isn't giving up. "Give me my duck!"

The farmer looks at the duck in his hand, then raises it up to eye level, an eyebrow going up with it. "This duck?"

"Yes, that duck!"

The farmer makes a show of thinking about it, then starts walking towards Bob. "Tell ya what were 'bout to do. We'll play a game fo' the duck."

Bob gazes at the old farmer and realizes he is at least 30 years younger. Whatever the game, there's no way he can loose. "Fine, if I win, I get my duck back, no arguments!"

The old farmer nods, then walks up to him. "We'll play grapes. The first one to give up loses."

Bob no sooner grunts his agreement than the old farmer rears back and toe-punches Bob right in the grapes. He doubles up and crashes to the ground like a chainsawed sycamore tree. Cupping his throbbing man parts, he moans and groans as he rolls around the ground.

Fifteen minutes later, Bob makes it back to his feet, his jaw set in anger. "It's my turn!"

The Old Farmer chuckles. "You can have the damn duck." He throws it at Bob's feet and walks back into his home, laughing all the way.

Steeler-in-west
11-28-2019, 07:50 PM
I hope so, for the rest of the season at least. Cause that’ll mean he’s playing well. If he’s not, I think they try Paxton or go back to Rudolph

11-28-2019, 08:58 PM
I hope so, for the rest of the season at least. Cause that’ll mean he’s playing well. If he’s not, I think they try Paxton or go back to Rudolph People on here know I was for Duck since preseason and said I think he maybe better then Rudolph. If Duck turns out not to have it then I'm all for giving Paxton a shot! I just hope to not see Rudolph again! Seen enough of him to know he doesn't have it!

Steeler-in-west
11-28-2019, 11:48 PM
People on here know I was for Duck since preseason and said I think he maybe better then Rudolph. If Duck turns out not to have it then I'm all for giving Paxton a shot! I just hope to not see Rudolph again! Seen enough of him to know he doesn't have it!

Yeah, Rudolph seems he got rattled after that hit against the ravens and never really recovered. Really disappointed in his deep or even medium range ball ability. Have hope Hodges will be more than a little better

11-29-2019, 12:30 AM
Yeah, Rudolph seems he got rattled after that hit against the ravens and never really recovered. Really disappointed in his deep or even medium range ball ability. Have hope Hodges will be more than a little better I personally don't think it was that hit. Rudy never had it and he thinks he is still playing college football. Thinks he has all day to throw and waiting for the WR to get open. Seen enough and not a fan! Seems like a good human being though like Landry Jones!

Fire Goodell
11-29-2019, 10:31 AM
I personally don't think it was that hit. Rudy never had it and he thinks he is still playing college football. Thinks he has all day to throw and waiting for the WR to get open. Seen enough and not a fan! Seems like a good human being though like Landry Jones!

Honestly I think it was teams caught on to his playing style. Turning point to me seemed halfway through the Indy game, they finally started keying on samuels in the passing game & daring him to hit his WRs and it's looked ugly ever since then.

Edman
11-29-2019, 11:00 AM
The true turning point was the concussion. That damaged Rudy’s confidence and he no longer played with abandon and he regressed back to staring down his receivers. The final straw for Rudolph for me was when he hit Juju in the hands early in the Colts game and it caused an interception. It was downhill from there.

He no longer trusted his receivers could make a play for him, and they didn’t. Defenses saw our receivers were subpar, and Rudy was subpar as well.

We bought into the narrative going around that Rudy was the single problem with the Offense who is not making plays that are there like it’s that simple. With the benching, we have users swimming in self-affirmation for the week. We’ll find out Sunday if Rudy was truly the problem with the offense or if he’s merely a scapegoat for everything. Duck better not only win, but light up the Browns Defense Sunday, and prove Rudy was the issue.

DesertSteel
11-29-2019, 11:05 AM
The key for Duck is to throw the safeties out of the box and open up the running game (which is exactly what he did at Cincy). From there, protect the ball and play good defense with a couple takeaways.

Mojouw
11-29-2019, 11:46 AM
The true turning point was the concussion. That damaged Rudy’s confidence and he no longer played with abandon and he regressed back to staring down his receivers. The final straw for Rudolph for me was when he hit Juju in the hands early in the Colts game and it caused an interception. It was downhill from there.

He no longer trusted his receivers could make a play for him, and they didn’t. Defenses saw our receivers were subpar, and Rudy was subpar as well.

We bought into the narrative going around that Rudy was the single problem with the Offense who is not making plays that are there like it’s that simple. With the benching, we have users swimming in self-affirmation for the week. We’ll find out Sunday if Rudy was truly the problem with the offense or if he’s merely a scapegoat for everything. Duck better not only win, but light up the Browns Defense Sunday, and prove Rudy was the issue.

Yeah, that's a no for me dog.

First, your logic is super flawed. Both Rudy and Duck can be bad. One doesn't change the other. This isn't a care engine and we are just swapping out spark-plugs.

Second, there exists tangible evidence regarding Mason R's struggles. Color, HD video (in)gloriously documents the following:
1. Slow decision making causes him to "miss" easy completions to open receivers. Easy to find examples on the internet. Best visual cue is his double or triple clutching the start of the throwing motion as he does not trust what he sees.
2. Poor pocket presence causes Mason to wander into pressure and fail to climb/slide out of pressure. I could really break this into two points, but I will add that very often Rudolph hangs his tackles out to dry. He tends to drift back in his drops, much farther than it appears he should, causing the OT's to think they pushed a guy up the arc and around the pocket, but it was really into the QB's lap.
3. Demonstrated an almost total inability to throw off a "bad platform". Meaning if the dude has to move his feet, it is over. Watch any NFL game. QBs have to throw with a bad base every single game multiple times.
4. Related to above. If Mason manages to move off his initial spot and reset (which takes him some sort of glacial epoch to accomplish), his mechanics fall apart. Kinda like my golf game.
5. I will grant that Mason's confidence has eroded to near zero. His mechanics are atrocious and, right now, he can't complete basic NFL throws.
6. Takes forever to work through his reads and make a decision. Even on the TV view, I feel like you can see open receivers and I find myself yelling "throw it now, now." way too often. If I can notice it, it must be really bad.
7. One of the reasons for the drops and all that with the WRs is that Rudolph's ball placement is comically bad. Throws to the back shoulder when he should be going to the front. Consistently behind guys on crossers and slants. Throws inside instead of outside on sideline routes. Low and behind on screens. AND -- instead of throwing his guys out of coverage, he throws them into coverages and hits. Just as much as Mason does not trust the WRs, they have no reason to trust him. He was on the way to putting them in the hospital.

I do like how you set the bar into fresh new territory so that you can remain steadfastly in your "Roethlisberger's caddy OC broke the offense and destroyed Mason Rudolph's glorious debut" corner. Watching your posts wildly swing between defending and trashing Rudolph is confusing and entertaining. Take a breath. Not everything is a binary either/or type of thing. It is possible that ALL the QBs on the roster are trash...

Fire Goodell
11-29-2019, 01:06 PM
We're not expecting duck to light the world on fire, but is it getting your hopes too high to hope for some gardener minshew-like performances? Something like 220 yds, 2td's and no picks. And hope he doesn't play like his last game vs Houston lol

DesertSteel
11-29-2019, 01:19 PM
That kid for Detroit looked very good yesterday. Why can’t we be that lucky?

Edman
11-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Yeah, that's a no for me dog.

First, your logic is super flawed. Both Rudy and Duck can be bad. One doesn't change the other. This isn't a care engine and we are just swapping out spark-plugs.

Second, there exists tangible evidence regarding Mason R's struggles. Color, HD video (in)gloriously documents the following:
1. Slow decision making causes him to "miss" easy completions to open receivers. Easy to find examples on the internet. Best visual cue is his double or triple clutching the start of the throwing motion as he does not trust what he sees.
2. Poor pocket presence causes Mason to wander into pressure and fail to climb/slide out of pressure. I could really break this into two points, but I will add that very often Rudolph hangs his tackles out to dry. He tends to drift back in his drops, much farther than it appears he should, causing the OT's to think they pushed a guy up the arc and around the pocket, but it was really into the QB's lap.
3. Demonstrated an almost total inability to throw off a "bad platform". Meaning if the dude has to move his feet, it is over. Watch any NFL game. QBs have to throw with a bad base every single game multiple times.
4. Related to above. If Mason manages to move off his initial spot and reset (which takes him some sort of glacial epoch to accomplish), his mechanics fall apart. Kinda like my golf game.
5. I will grant that Mason's confidence has eroded to near zero. His mechanics are atrocious and, right now, he can't complete basic NFL throws.
6. Takes forever to work through his reads and make a decision. Even on the TV view, I feel like you can see open receivers and I find myself yelling "throw it now, now." way too often. If I can notice it, it must be really bad.
7. One of the reasons for the drops and all that with the WRs is that Rudolph's ball placement is comically bad. Throws to the back shoulder when he should be going to the front. Consistently behind guys on crossers and slants. Throws inside instead of outside on sideline routes. Low and behind on screens. AND -- instead of throwing his guys out of coverage, he throws them into coverages and hits. Just as much as Mason does not trust the WRs, they have no reason to trust him. He was on the way to putting them in the hospital.

I do like how you set the bar into fresh new territory so that you can remain steadfastly in your "Roethlisberger's caddy OC broke the offense and destroyed Mason Rudolph's glorious debut" corner. Watching your posts wildly swing between defending and trashing Rudolph is confusing and entertaining. Take a breath. Not everything is a binary either/or type of thing. It is possible that ALL the QBs on the roster are trash...

Nope. No chiseling your way out of this one.

Rudolph was blamed for the offensive struggles because he just “doesn’t have it” or lacks ability. Therefore if we went to the Duckster, the Offensive struggles should disappear. Thst’s the narrative this board has tacked itself onto we’re running with it.

If Duck stinks Sunday, then that must mean he probably just doesn’t have it either and we need to keep looking for a quarterback. Sunday will tell-all.

DesertSteel
11-29-2019, 02:10 PM

Rudolph was blamed for the offensive struggles because he just “doesn’t have it” or lacks ability. Therefore if we went to the Duckster, the Offensive struggles should disappear. Thst’s the narrative this board has tacked itself onto we’re running with it.

If Duck stinks Sunday, then that must mean he probably just doesn’t have it either and we need to keep looking for a quarterback. Sunday will tell-all.
Unless Hodges suddenly turns in Bret Favre, of course we need to keep looking for a QB. Duh.

The goal is to play the least of the evils.

11-29-2019, 03:58 PM
Honestly I think it was teams caught on to his playing style. Turning point to me seemed halfway through the Indy game, they finally started keying on samuels in the passing game & daring him to hit his WRs and it's looked ugly ever since then. What I think as well!

pczach
11-29-2019, 04:06 PM

Are you going to take your football and go home?

You've been the one making all the definitive remarks about Rodolph and trashing everyone else on offense.

Now you're declaring what the board said as a collective in your curious little mind.

You don't set the rules here or announce how things are going down. You have been trashing Big Ben and Fichtner without mercy. You have no basis in fact for any of your claims, but you keep trying to shove your narrative down everyone's throats.

Rudolph isn't in the same universe as Big Ben..despite your claims.

We were all pulling for Rudolph....he just didn't get it done.

Duck doesn't have to throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs to prove anything to anyone but you. The rest of us are pulling for whoever is behind center and want a win.

Shoes
11-29-2019, 04:31 PM
When Tomlin was questioned about Mason the other day he said I have a lot of patients with young guys. Hoping Duck gets a win Sunday!

Mojouw
11-29-2019, 06:34 PM

I don’t think anyone has crafted the narrative you are claiming aside from yourself.

You can have any opinion you want. But why talk in hyperbole and absolutes?

Right now, Mason Rudolph is one of the worst starting QBs in football. Blame for that reality can likely be portioned out across a variety of sources across the roster, coaching staff, and injury luck.

If Duck hits even 4 more throws than Rudolph a game, that moves the offense from awful to merely bad. That’s all anyone is really shooting for here.

Edman
11-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Are you going to take your football and go home?

You've been the one making all the definitive remarks about Rodolph and trashing everyone else on offense.

Now you're declaring what the board said as a collective in your curious little mind.

You don't set the rules here or announce how things are going down. You have been trashing Big Ben and Fichtner without mercy. You have no basis in fact for any of your claims, but you keep trying to shove your narrative down everyone's throats.

Rudolph isn't in the same universe as Big Ben..despite your claims.

We were all pulling for Rudolph....he just didn't get it done.

Duck doesn't have to throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs to prove anything to anyone but you. The rest of us are pulling for whoever is behind center and want a win.

I am quite eager to see what Duck can do and want him to do good. Changing the subject won't help you. I pushed the Rudy train and I was proven wrong. I can admit that. I was wrong about Rudolph.

The point is that there was a new narrative that people are shackling themselves to now is that Rudy "didn't have it" and was the issue to the offense's problems. There were "plays downfield" he wasn't making that were there. The receivers don't trust him. The Offense is not the problem and it was 100% on Rudy.

So theoretically, take the problem away, and the offense should improve. Randy Fichtner should turn into an NFL caliber coordinator with Duck Hodges under center. That's the general narrative now, and now that I call it out, you want to pretend its not there. "Oh no, no one is saying that at all! You're the one pushing the narrative! Not me!". Dude, no. If you believe that, then it's fine. Duck should play well and make the plays Rudy "isn't making". He should outclass him Sunday. I will keep an eye out. We'll see if this is true or not. I don't think its that hard to consider.

Mojouw
11-29-2019, 11:22 PM
I am quite eager to see what Duck can do and want him to do good. Changing the subject won't help you. I pushed the Rudy train and I was proven wrong. I can admit that. I was wrong about Rudolph.

The point is that there was a new narrative that people are shackling themselves to now is that Rudy "didn't have it" and was the issue to the offense's problems. There were "plays downfield" he wasn't making that were there. The receivers don't trust him. The Offense is not the problem and it was 100% on Rudy.

So theoretically, take the problem away, and the offense should improve. Randy Fichtner should turn into an NFL caliber coordinator with Duck Hodges under center. That's the general narrative now, and now that I call it out, you want to pretend its not there. "Oh no, no one is saying that at all! You're the one pushing the narrative! Not me!". Dude, no. If you believe that, then it's fine. Duck should play well and make the plays Rudy "isn't making". He should outclass him Sunday. I will keep an eye out. We'll see if this is true or not. I don't think its that hard to consider.

This is the clumsiest attempt at logical reasoning I’ve seen in some time. False equivalencies and significant leaps from no foundation.

Sad that since this is the internet and everyone has to win (I’m guilty of this as well and always regret it) that we all can’t just discuss this without freaking out.

Dude, you were wrong. Tape don’t lie. Early in the season there were major issues in play design and scheme. That has improved. Rudolph has not. You can see the open receivers that he is incapable of getting the call to very clearly on dozens of places across the internet.

Mojouw
11-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Think about it this way. Let us assume that Fichtner’s play calls are the vast majority of the problem.

If that is true then Ben and AB are the two greatest football players to ever walk the planet. They drug a train wreck of an offense to a staggering rate of efficiency and the most passing yards in the league.

While I’m a big fan of the talent of both of those two individually and playing together, they simply aren’t that good.

GoSlash27
11-30-2019, 12:50 AM

I'm gonna be the fun hater who points out that dinosaurs didn't eat people.
That being said, I feel no pity for the ducks. If they didn't want to be shot for sport, they should've grown opposable thumbs and problem- solving intelligence.

Mojouw
11-30-2019, 01:22 AM
I'm gonna be the fun hater who points out that dinosaurs didn't eat people.
That being said, I feel no pity for the ducks. If they didn't want to be shot for sport, they should've grown opposable thumbs and problem- solving intelligence.

That’s my new favorite comment. Great job!

AtlantaDan
11-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Think about it this way. Let us assume that Fichtner’s play calls are the vast majority of the problem.

If that is true then Ben and AB are the two greatest football players to ever walk the planet. They drug a train wreck of an offense to a staggering rate of efficiency and the most passing yards in the league.

While I’m a big fan of the talent of both of those two individually and playing together, they simply aren’t that good.

Last year was not a matter of Ben being in a Sean McVay/Jared Goff relationship with Fichtner talking into Ben’s headset as long as possible before the snap and Ben then dutifully working off Fichtner’s play calls

The drop off in the quality of the QB and receivers has been dramatic but it cannot be said Fichtner is in the same role this season as last season - he actually has coordinated what passes for an offense this season rather than be the good subordinate to Ben, including sticking with the wildcat in the Baltimore game at great cost when he was up against a NFL level coaching staff rather than the Bengals clown show - cannot blame Rudolph for that

Unlike last year Fichtner has been working without a net as OC this season - unfortunately he is going to get a pass for this cluster of an offense and will be back next season whether Ben is or not

teegre
11-30-2019, 09:42 AM
I was talking about this in some thread (which I cannot find), but we will need to draft a QB in R2 or R3 until Ben retires... in hopes of hitting on someone.

I hope that Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) lasts until R2. Alas, I have a feeling that he may sneak into R1, because he’s been on fire.

DesertSteel
11-30-2019, 10:42 AM
I was talking about this in some thread (which I cannot find), but we will need to draft a QB in R2 or R3 until Ben retires... in hopes of hitting on someone.

I hope that Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) lasts until R2. Alas, I have a feeling that he may sneak into R1, because he’s been on fire.
I’ll take a flier on Ian Book in 2020.

teegre
11-30-2019, 11:21 AM
I’ll take a flier on Ian Book in 2020.

Yep :nod: You had mentioned this in that other thread (but, I couldn’t find the thread LOL).

We had talked about Book prior to the playoffs last year. I watched him specifically, and maybe he was overmatched, but he didn’t look good in that game. But, Ben had his 4 INT game against Iowa... (every QB has an off day).

Tell me more about him. Convince me...

Steeler-in-west
11-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Jacob Eason? Son of former Patriot qb Tony Eason? The guy who got destroyed in the super bowl by the bears? :puke:

I kid I kid

DesertSteel
11-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Yep :nod: You had mentioned this in that other thread (but, I couldn’t find the thread LOL).

We had talked about Book prior to the playoffs last year. I watched him specifically, and maybe he was overmatched, but he didn’t look good in that game. But, Ben had his 4 INT game against Iowa... (every QB has an off day).

Tell me more about him. Convince me...

I think a good comp for him - if he pans out - is 2017 Case Keenum (Vikings). He's a leader, pretty accurate, has pocket presence, not elite arm talent, but NFL capable.

Mojouw
11-30-2019, 11:56 AM
Last year was not a matter of Ben being in a Sean McVay/Jared Goff relationship with Fichtner talking into Ben’s headset as long as possible before the snap and Ben then dutifully working off Fichtner’s play calls

The drop off in the quality of the QB and receivers has been dramatic but it cannot be said Fichtner is in the same role this season as last season - he actually has coordinated what passes for an offense this season rather than be the good subordinate to Ben, including sticking with the wildcat in the Baltimore game at great cost when he was up against a NFL level coaching staff rather than the Bengals clown show - cannot blame Rudolph for that

Unlike last year Fichtner has been working without a net as OC this season - unfortunately he is going to get a pass for this cluster of an offense and will be back next season whether Ben is or not

Right. Fichtner isn’t great but merely competent. Or close enough. If you want to lay the blame for the horrible offense of the 2019 Steelers at his feet, go ahead. But that says, to me, that Ben and AB are planet tilting talents who can make an offensive system that would embarrass a high school JV team one of the most effective and efficient attacks in recent memory.

I would argue it is more that Fichtner has zero confidence in his quarterback to execute basic plays and is desperately trying to pull something that will work out of the ether. Of course he is not up to that task. Few are. But the 2019 offensive struggles are at least 50% on horrific QB play. Prior to his benching, Rudolph was just about the worst QB in the NFL by any passing metric.

Trubisky makes Nagy look bad. Goff has made McVay seem stupid. Wentz has taken the shine off Pederson. Now Fichtner was a few notches below those guys to begin with, but still was not just a turd in the punch bowl. Rudolph’s struggles to operate even basic foundational plays to any offensive system have completely hamstrung the offense for 2-3 weeks now. Combine that with the JV RBs and WRs that injuries have forced into the lineup and I’m not sure Bill Walsh could’ve got much outta that.

teegre
11-30-2019, 12:58 PM
Jacob Eason? Son of former Patriot qb Tony Eason? The guy who got destroyed in the super bowl by the bears? :puke:

I kid I kid

His dad is indeed Tony Eason, but not that Tony Eason.

Tony Eason, QB for Notre Dame

AtlantaDan
11-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Trubisky makes Nagy look bad. Goff has made McVay seem stupid. Wentz has taken the shine off Pederson. Now Fichtner was a few notches below those guys to begin with, but still was not just a turd in the punch bowl. Rudolph’s struggles to operate even basic foundational plays to any offensive system have completely hamstrung the offense for 2-3 weeks now. Combine that with the JV RBs and WRs that injuries have forced into the lineup and I’m not sure Bill Walsh could’ve got much outta that.

Agreed it is mediocre players but I am not on board with Fichtner being NFL level competent for an offensive coordinator - nobody trying to hire him away during his decade as QB coach is a reflection of that. His promotion had more to do with the QB wanting a lap dog than anything else.

After watching Ohio State boat race Michigan this afternoon I would take Ohio State's QB, RB, and receivers along with Ryan Day's play designs across the board over the QB, RB, receivers and offensive coordinator the Steelers will be rolling out tomorrow.

Mojouw
11-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Agreed it is mediocre players but I am not on board with Fichtner being NFL level competent for an offensive coordinator - nobody trying to hire him away during his decade as QB coach is a reflection of that. His promotion had more to do with the QB wanting a lap dog than anything else.

After watching Ohio State boat race Michigan this afternoon I would take Ohio State's QB, RB, and receivers along with Ryan Day's play designs across the board over the QB, RB, receivers and offensive coordinator the Steelers will be rolling out tomorrow.

OK. Fair enough. However Michigan is awful. But leaving all that aside. There are many coordinators that I would take over Fichtner. BUT...he didn't make Rudolph one of the worst QBs in the league. Rudolph did that. Because if you want to blame the majority on Fichtner, then Ben R is the greatest QB to ever play the game. To elevate the level of incompetence that many attribute to Fichtner to the league lead in yards and one of the the most efficient scoring offenses in recent history is a herculean task that I do not think Ben is capable of.

Fichtner is exceedingly average and not all that creative, but what could he or anyone do with a QB who has zero mobility, poor pocket presence, slow to process, throws a terrible ball, and just in general had lost any confidence in his own abilities and decisions?

86WARD
11-30-2019, 03:46 PM

I’m not saying Fichtners play calls are good or bad. There’s definitely an ease to watching his plays as they all look bland and different, meaning there’s a lack of creativity. But seriously, how much of the Ben/AB thing was an actual result of play design or some sort of improvisation between the two of them that just worked? Not sure if there’s ever a way to know but I would not be shocked if it worked out to be 50/50...maybe even 60/40 in favor of the Ben/AB side. Now I’m just talking plays/completions between Ben and AB.

Craic
11-30-2019, 04:36 PM
I’m not saying Fichtners play calls are good or bad. There’s definitely an ease to watching his plays as they all look bland and different, meaning there’s a lack of creativity. But seriously, how much of the Ben/AB thing was an actual result of play design or some sort of improvisation between the two of them that just worked? Not sure if there’s ever a way to know but I would not be shocked if it worked out to be 50/50...maybe even 60/40 in favor of the Ben/AB side. Now I’m just talking plays/completions between Ben and AB.

Okay, but isn't that also good coaching? If you know you have players that can ad lib to make things happen, and they are at their best when doing so, isn't the danger at that point overcoaching? So, he builds a plan that allows that much like LeBeau did for Troy P. Now, this year, we lose AB, we lose Ben, and everything changes. But, at thanksgiving we sit at 6-5 and in the sixth playoff spot with a back up QB and now a back up to a back up QB and injuries to our top WR and RB. So, the game plan gets changed. There was a lot of dumps in the beginning along with the wildcat. We almost beat one of the top teams in the NFL this year in that game. Then, we move gradually away from that, and almost beat another top NFL team—losing in OT. I don't know, but I'd say all around, that is a very good piece of coaching. No?

86WARD
11-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Okay, but isn't that also good coaching? If you know you have players that can ad lib to make things happen, and they are at their best when doing so, isn't the danger at that point overcoaching? So, he builds a plan that allows that much like LeBeau did for Troy P. Now, this year, we lose AB, we lose Ben, and everything changes. But, at thanksgiving we sit at 6-5 and in the sixth playoff spot with a back up QB and now a back up to a back up QB and injuries to our top WR and RB. So, the game plan gets changed. There was a lot of dumps in the beginning along with the wildcat. We almost beat one of the top teams in the NFL this year in that game. Then, we move gradually away from that, and almost beat another top NFL team—losing in OT. I don't know, but I'd say all around, that is a very good piece of coaching. No?

But is this the problem: He’s still running the same offense...but he doesn’t have the players that can make it look better than it really is...coaching like Ben and AB are there, coaching at the same level he was...call it very good at the time if you’d like...but what about now? “Very good” clearly isn’t cutting it?

I’m not a Fichtner hater, but I’m not a big supporter either. I don’t see much creativity out of him...

pczach
11-30-2019, 06:12 PM

I'm not throwing in the towel completely on Rudolph. I want to see him get more work and an offseason to get with a quarterback guru and work on his deficiencies. He has regressed and just crumbled under everything that happened to him over his last several games.

He needs to work on his feet. He should be doing all kinds of agility drills and movement drills that are based around him moving his feet and keeping his eyes downfield. That is a large part of his physical and mechanical issues to me. He also needs to be able to read defenses and be willing to throw the ball to the appropriate receiver on time, down the field, and with anticipation.

That's a lot to work on, and we don't know exactly what his understanding of the game is right now. Is it that he is seeing what he should, but he has a confidence issue...or is it that he isn't making his reads or can't understand the game on an acceptable level? If it's the latter, that is possibly the end of any dreams he may have. There is just no way for any of us to know definitively, because you have to be in the film rooms and be getting feedback from Rudolph directly to know what he sees before the snap, after the snap, and what he believes the proper reads are. Only the people in the room have an intimate knowledge of where his head is.

I truly hope he can find himself and become a quality player with value in this league going forward.

As to your point about Duck and what his play will tell us...we already know that he is more willing to take options available to him and that he challenges the entire field more than Mason did when he was in there. That still doesn't mean that he will be a significant upgrade. He needs to show he can execute more consistently than Mason, and still take care of the ball. He's an undrafted FA that was basically the 4th quarterback in training camp and preseason. I just don't know how you can think he needs to "light it up" to prove that the offensive system and play calling isn't the culprit for all the offensive woes.

Putting all that on an unheralded undrafted rookie free agent and fourth stringer just doesn't make much sense.

If Duck does succeed, it looks even worse for Rudolph.

Mojouw
11-30-2019, 06:34 PM
I keep reading about how Fichtner is running the same offense just with crappier players. But then no one can lay out what that offense is. I feel like I see similar things, but done from totally different formations and out of totally different play set-ups. There is far more play-action. Far less QB movement. Almost no option routes that are based on the QB and the receiver making the same pre-snap read. There is little to no timing routes that rely on the QB to just let it rip to a spot regardless. Four verticals has left the offense.

First 3 weeks, maybe. Since then, this is a totally different offense that has been constructed from the parts of the previous one. So sure, some stuff looks similar. But they are doing different things with the same lego pieces.

All that being said, Fichtner is not one of these hotshot creative offensive coordinators. Never has been and never will.

st33lersguy
11-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Much easier to look better on offense when you have a FHOF QB and someone who would have been a FHOF WR had he not capsized his career. In fact did Fichtner do anything last year or did he just do whatever Ben wanted last year and now that he has to actually run the offense himself and not say yes to Ben he looks clueless

Mojouw
11-30-2019, 09:08 PM
Much easier to look better on offense when you have a FHOF QB and someone who would have been a FHOF WR had he not capsized his career. In fact did Fichtner do anything last year or did he just do whatever Ben wanted last year and now that he has to actually run the offense himself and not say yes to Ben he looks clueless

Can you give examples or a bit more detail on this? Like I understand the words but have no idea what it means for 60 minutes on Sunday.

11-30-2019, 10:52 PM
Simple answer is Fichtner is a below average OC and Rudolph is just not good at all. More blame lies with Rudolph and like pczach said I'm not done with him but would shut the lid on him for this season though!

FrancoLambert
12-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Randy Fichtner : offense :: Danny Smith : special teams

teegre
12-01-2019, 09:16 AM

The SAT loves this post.

pczach
12-01-2019, 10:41 AM

I don't know why, but I just had a flashback to my Fortran class in high school. :grin:

Craic
12-01-2019, 03:51 PM
But is this the problem: He’s still running the same offense...but he doesn’t have the players that can make it look better than it really is...coaching like Ben and AB are there, coaching at the same level he was...call it very good at the time if you’d like...but what about now? “Very good” clearly isn’t cutting it?

I’m not a Fichtner hater, but I’m not a big supporter either. I don’t see much creativity out of him...
Once again, we get a win that we shouldn't get with the personal we have on offense. Creativity with this many rookies creates turnovers and problems. Had he called creative games and we lost them, the complaints all across this board was that he didn't simplify the offense and dumb it down for rookie QBs who need to progress.

Just as you're no Fichtner hater, I'm not a Fichtner fan. But, the OC blame-game is one of the favorites among Steelers fans, and I'm not really buying he's all that bad. At worst, I'd say he's average. At best, I'd say he's average. But, I'd take an average OC who is overproducing wins with a backup and a backup-to-a-backup QB every day. Not to mention, our number 1 receiver and RB being sidelined, as well as our starting center.

???? Okay. I mean, he hasn't over-produced wins this year as noted in my previous post. Right? Just how good do you expect this offense to be when the back-up QB is so bad he loses his job to a nondrafted rookie who wasn't even on the roster at the beginning of the year?

Fire Goodell
12-01-2019, 04:07 PM
2-0 as a starter, in two must win games. The guy handles pressure like a veteran. He had some rookie mistakes but nothing that can’t be cleaned up. People say the future QB isn’t on the roster, but honestly if he keeps performing like this, he just might be. The guy is already 5x better than Rudolph from what I’ve seen.

I know it might be easy to write off an undrafted player, but the Steelers always managed to find gold with UDFA’s

FrancoLambert
12-01-2019, 04:29 PM
I don't know why, but I just had a flashback to my Fortran class in high school. :grin:

Fortran??? WTF is Fortran? :old:

:lol:

pczach
12-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Oh shut up!

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Can we please hear from the "I'm glad I was wrong" crowd?! Or are you already too busy posting about how the Steelers will lose to the Cardinals?

Craic
12-01-2019, 04:40 PM

The program that you graduate to after learning BASIC, you Philistine!

Six Rings
12-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Duck has landed on the confluence. The natives like him already.

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Can we please hear from the "I'm glad I was wrong" crowd?! Or are you already too busy posting about how the Steelers will lose to the Cardinals?

Did it in the other thread, and will gladly do it here as well. Couldn't believe what I was seeing for most of the game. Like a totally different offense.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Did it in the other thread, and will gladly do it here as well. Couldn't believe what I was seeing for most of the game. Like a totally different offense.
Yeah I meant to post that in the other thread. Not sure how I clicked on this one. I was thinking about you though - lol. I was thinking you were gonna be right when it was 10-0 and we had 2 yards of offense. Duck has some SPLASH plays in him.

pczach
12-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Yeah I meant to post that in the other thread. Not sure how I clicked on this one. I was thinking about you though - lol. I was thinking you were gonna be right when it was 10-0 and we had 2 yards of offense. Duck has some SPLASH plays in him.

Duck was very cool today.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qzf1pnpju7Q4M/giphy.gif

pczach
12-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Fortran is a general-purpose, compiled imperative programming language that is especially suited to numeric computation and scientific computing that was used by the dinosaurs.

Craic
12-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Honestly, I wasn't too surprised by what he did as he seems to have a much better arm than Mason and the confidence to go with it. What surprised me was what he didn't do, he didn't make the mistake of being overconfident in his throws.

Fantastic GIF. I love it!

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 05:44 PM

It was great to see. He also puts the ball in a spot to give HIS guy the best chance at it and the defender a poor angle to the ball. Something Rudolph regularly failed to do.

In response to another post in this thread, I actually think that Rudolph and Hodges have similar caliber arms, it is just that Hodges ball placement/accuracy and faith in his arm is WAY better than Rudolph's right now. Just my 2 cents.

DesertSteel
12-01-2019, 05:52 PM
According to one of the PG writers (can’t remember which one), Rudolph has a stronger arm in practice. I hope never to see Rudolph on the field again unless it’s for another team. I got upset just seeing a close up of him on the sidelines today.

Edman
12-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Duck didn't look all that different from Pre-Concussion Rudolph to me today, and there was a stretch where he was just as bad as Rudy. Running into the pass rush for one thing.

But Duck was accomplished. Not many mind-blowing plays but made something happen when he needed to. Let's hope he improves from here, and pray nothing play-altering happens to Duck like a cheap shot that puts him out for a week.

Rudolph may never be the same again after the Earl Thomas hit, and its a shame that it happened to him. We may never know how good he could've been. Maybe someplace else in the NFL. In the meantime, he belongs super-glued to the bench.

Fire Goodell
12-01-2019, 07:20 PM
According to one of the PG writers (can’t remember which one), Rudolph has a stronger arm in practice. I hope never to see Rudolph on the field again unless it’s for another team. I got upset just seeing a close up of him on the sidelines today.

Practice?

Shoes
12-01-2019, 07:24 PM

GoSlash27
12-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Fortran is a general-purpose, compiled imperative programming language that is especially suited to numeric computation and scientific computing that was used by the dinosaurs.

Hell yeah... Fortran, COBOL, pascal, BASIC, Logo, assembly, machine language... What are you kids using these days? C++? Python? / get offa mah lawn

pczach
12-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Hell yeah... Fortran, COBOL, pascal, BASIC, Logo, assembly, machine language... What are you kids using these days? C++? Python? / get offa mah
lawn

I had Fortran when it was FORTRAN!

Good God I'm getting old...….

Mojouw
12-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Hell yeah... Fortran, COBOL, pascal, BASIC, Logo, assembly, machine language... What are you kids using these days? C++? Python? / get offa mah lawn

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craic
12-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Duck didn't look all that different from Pre-Concussion Rudolph to me today, and there was a stretch where he was just as bad as Rudy. Running into the pass rush for one thing.

But Duck was accomplished. Not many mind-blowing plays but made something happen when he needed to. Let's hope he improves from here, and pray nothing play-altering happens to Duck like a cheap shot that puts him out for a week.

Rudolph may never be the same again after the Earl Thomas hit, and its a shame that it happened to him. We may never know how good he could've been. Maybe someplace else in the NFL. In the meantime, he belongs super-glued to the bench.

When was this? And, I think you're fooling yourself if you think the Earl Thomas hit did anything to Rudolph. Mason hit is ceiling for this year. Period. The weaknesses that had been discussed here by me and others were exposed. He has a weaker arm (all this crap about him having a better arm in practice is funny ... it's easy to focus on mechanics and throwing while wearing a red shirt). He is indecisive. He is a statue in the pocket. So on and so forth.

Mason seems like a very good guy. He has said all the right things from day one. I just hope he isn't in the Steelers future plans. I think Duck has the higher ceiling.

Rotorhead
12-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Duck isn’t afraid to throw the ball, he hits his WRs in stride (MR only did that in the preseason) and his deep ball is on target. Duck can actually run and other than backing into the pass rush a few times and running out of bounds, had a pretty flawless game.

ETL
12-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Duck made a lot of money today. Showed that he can be a quality backup in this league. And if we don’t keep him, other teams will want him.

Hell, out of all the Steelers backups that we have had - he’s been one of the better ones. I’d rank him above Landry Jones and Dobbs. Maybe Leftwich and Batch were better but they had the luxury of having had much more experience.

Fire Goodell
12-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Duck made a lot of money today. Showed that he can be a quality backup in this league. And if we don’t keep him, other teams will want him.

Hell, out of all the Steelers backups that we have had - he’s been one of the better ones. I’d rank him above Landry Jones and Dobbs. Maybe Leftwich and Batch were better but they had the luxury of having had much more experience.

If he can keep up this level of play, he will prove to be a good STARTER in this league.

86WARD
12-02-2019, 05:41 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191202/85484d07905b2e587cb43b208a9e6c64.jpg

pczach
12-02-2019, 07:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191202/85484d07905b2e587cb43b208a9e6c64.jpg

:grin:

https://media.giphy.com/media/YwxsiPgxjk3Fm/giphy.gif

DesertSteel
12-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Duck needs to learn how to escape a pass rusher. Twice yesterday he tried to escape by running directly into the momentum of the pass rusher instead of going the opposite way.

pczach
12-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Duck needs to learn how to escape a pass rusher. Twice yesterday he tried to escape by running directly into the momentum of the pass rusher instead of going the opposite way.

No doubt.

A couple times all he needed to do was step up into the pocket. Instead, he ran away from his protection when the OL and backs were in position to protect him if he stayed in the pocket.

It's something he needs to get a better feel for. I'm sure they will be going over that in the film room and working on that with him.

He needs to trust his protections.

GoSlash27
12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
I still have the same opinion of Duck I always have. He's a heady QB who sees the field and makes smart throws on time and on target, but he floats his deep passes. Probably won't sink us against weak secondaries, but it's a liability against Baltimore and perhaps Buffalo.

Mojouw
12-02-2019, 11:53 PM
My only real question about Hodges physical tools is on a 3rd and 8 that has to get converted, can he muscle that square out to the far sideline into a tight window? For 15 years I’ve been spoiled by a QB who can absolutely thread that needle with a high grade fastball. Can Duck? If not, can the Steelers adapt and overcome to compensate?

To be fair, this was the same test Rudolph and Landry failed.

Edman
12-03-2019, 07:56 AM
When was this? And, I think you're fooling yourself if you think the Earl Thomas hit did anything to Rudolph. Mason hit is ceiling for this year. Period. The weaknesses that had been discussed here by me and others were exposed. He has a weaker arm (all this crap about him having a better arm in practice is funny ... it's easy to focus on mechanics and throwing while wearing a red shirt). He is indecisive. He is a statue in the pocket. So on and so forth.

Mason seems like a very good guy. He has said all the right things from day one. I just hope he isn't in the Steelers future plans. I think Duck has the higher ceiling.

I know, just like Ben putting his head through a windshield and then a second concussion in 2006 didn’t affect him at all. Oh wait. It did. He was terrible for stretches in that season and lead the league in picks as the Steelers finished 8-8.

Mason in his early starts showed some level of growth and progression from his rookie year. He was more decisive, and moved around and even ran. Ironically, the big hit occurred when he was actually scrambled and left the pocket.

Mason was effectively dead. He looked like a 50’s football player and had to be helped off the field. If you seriously think a concussion that bad that doesn’t affect the psyche of a young quarterback, then you’re delusional.

Duck is our guy now. Just be grateful for that, and hope nothing horrible happens to him.

NCSteeler
12-03-2019, 08:46 AM
I like what I see in Duck. Mason seems to just not have it I read somewhere that he's a perfectionist and that seems to be hurting his reads.

We'll see if NFL level defenders start to bait teh Duck into some mistakes in the coming games

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Fire Goodell
12-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Yeah though I'm not too worried about that, this is a fixable issue imo. Unlike Rudolph who doesn't appear to have a feel for what to do at all.