PDA

View Full Version : The Rudolph experiment is over.

Edman
11-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Officially benched. Ain’t never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn’t getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get ‘em Duck.

86WARD
11-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, I think it has to end. He lacks the necessary pocket presence, he lacks the necessary footwork and he doesn’t throw with accuracy on a regular basis.

I think they have to fly with the Duck from here on out.

fansince'76
11-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Neither of them are the answer. The quest to find the next franchise QB continues in earnest.

And for as much shit that Roethlisberger took over calling MR a "wasted pick," it certainly seems like he was right.

EzraTank
11-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, I think it has to end. He lacks the necessary pocket presence, he lacks the necessary footwork and he doesn’t throw with accuracy on a regular basis.

I think they have to fly with the Duck from here on out.

This exactly. He has no pocket presence whatsoever. He just stands there, has no clue how to shuffle right/left to find a passing lane, and throws into coverage horribly. He just doesn't have "it". Hodges isn't an NFL QB either but at least he gives you a CHANCE to win, MR does not.

I could see riding Hodges until Ben's real replacement is found. I'd be surprised if Rudolph in on this team next year.

Edman
11-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Neither of them are the answer. The quest to find the next franchise QB continues in earnest.

And for as much shit that Roethlisberger took over calling MR a "wasted pick," it certainly seems like he was right.

Ben R. deserves all the shit and then some. If Ben didn’t open his mouth about retiring, maybe the Steelers don’t waste a pick on Rudy.

When you’re threatening retirement, the organization has to start looking. Just because this guy didn’t pan out doesn’t mean they can’t get ready without you.

Fire Goodell
11-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Time for Bubby Brister #2. He's not much better at the moment but honestly at least he flashes some real potential at times. Still haven't seen it from Rudolph

pczach
11-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Ben R. deserves all the shit and then some. If Ben didn’t open his mouth about retiring, maybe the Steelers don’t waste a pick on Rudy.

When you’re threatening retirement, the organization has to start looking. Just because this guy didn’t pan out doesn’t mean they can’t get ready without you.

Sure....it's all Ben's fault.

You really are insufferable.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Play Duck until he loses, which probably will be next week

Steelers needed to find out if Rudolph was the guy - I think they know he is not - he is regressing

Fire Goodell
11-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Play Duck until he loses, which probably will be next week

Steelers needed to find out if Rudolph was the guy - I think they know he is not - he is regressing

that's what's bothering me about him, no progression

Dwinsgames
11-24-2019, 03:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKK01NnXkAIdmLH?format=jpg&name=small

steelreserve
11-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Rudolph is just too tentative to make it in this league. He locks up quickly and defaults to the safest throw on the field. That worked ok for a few games, but once other teams figured out he was taking the dump-offs not because he was a savvy checkdown artist, but a panicked newcomer, that was the end of that.

Hodges is the opposite, he feels the pressure and tries to make something happen, but gets kind of wild instead. That's got trouble written all over it.

Neither of these guys are very good at reacting on the fly when the play doesn't go exactly according to plan. Night and day compared to when Ben is playing.

Maybe Hodges will get it under control given more experience, but I wouldn't count on it. Unfortunately, we still need to keep looking for our next QB, because Ben R. isn't playing until he's 50.

Edman
11-24-2019, 03:49 PM
I womder how much getting his bell rung on that dirty shot against Baltimore took a toll on Rudolph. Since that game, he’s been skittish and turned into a statue.

Ironically, that was the very last time, among few times, we saw him move in the pocket and make a play downfield. To him, moving around and making a play will put him back in the hospital, so he just doesn’t do it.

Rotorhead
11-24-2019, 03:49 PM
I really thought MR was good in the preseason, he was accurate and made good decisions, but as the season has gone on, he hasn’t improved and has gotten worse. He hasn’t had any help, with all the dropped passes and all and the play calling by moron mcfitchner. But it was immediately obvious that Duck has more pocket awareness, better throws and can actually run when needed. I am all for Duck finishing out the season, to see what he has got when he gets first team reps.

vader29
11-24-2019, 03:52 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Since we are still in the playoff hunt you go with the QB that gives you the best chance to win and that is Duck. Besides I think the Steelers finally seen enough of Rudy to know he is not the future.

FrancoLambert
11-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Officially benched. Ain’t never coming back from that. Ducky comes in and fires a 79-yard shot to his man Washington.

I was rooting hard for the guy, but he just wasn’t getting the job done. I was wrong about him.

Go get ‘em Duck.

I was wrong as well. Didn’t expect pro-bowl play but he hasn’t even show any starter level play.
Hasn’t shown any progress at all in any aspect of being a productive QB.

Wasn’t there talk that the Steelers had a first round grade on him. Ouch.

st33lersguy
11-24-2019, 04:00 PM
I think Rudolph got scapegoated. He's not a franchise QB but he had no help either. The O-line has not helped him, the receivers have not helped him, and Milton Waddams Fichtner is horrible. The Steelers should have hired a QB coach to work with him, instead they lazily keep the QB coach designation to Fichtner after his undeserved promotion to OC, and the only coach Rudolph has to work with is a guy who is completely clueless if asked to do anything other than say yes to Ben. I think they need to dump Fichtner immediately and hire someone who can actually help a QB

Neversatisfied
11-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Hodges shouldn't get most of the snaps during practice this week, he should get ALL of them. Hodges has shown the ability to come cold off the bench and be productive, pocket awareness and mobility. Give him the reins and allow him to progress.

Six Rings
11-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Hodges attempts the throws a QB has to make to move the chains and win games. He's got more mobility, he connects to moving targets better, and IMO the guys like to play for him a bit better. Remember, he had the team rolling and almost won in overtime if not for Ju-ju, and won his lone start on the road. He also bailed us out, winning this game. You could say he won two games, and almost won a third, but didn't due to a key bad play from the WR.

If Randy Fichtner is a top offensive coordinator ( He's better than Todd Haley ) I see an offense he can put in around Duck. Get Nix back, use Whyte, who was a bit of a revelation more often, go for a Ravens like Offense.., mixing in some screens to an offensive line that can naturally set them up by pass-blocking poorly, and perhaps more play action.

fansince'76
11-24-2019, 04:20 PM

And you're precisely the type of "fan" who deserves 20+ more years of absolute suck at the QB position.

cubanstogie
11-24-2019, 04:22 PM
I really wanted Rudolph to be next franchise QB,Ben probably plays 1 more year so 2 drafts to find replacement. Rudolph unless something drastic happens is not that guy. On top of all the deficiencies is the fact that he is zero threat to take off and run. If there is no threat he needs to be that much better being a pocket passer. Hodges is slightly better at everything to this point, great move by Tomlin and IMO he has to be starter against stains. Rudolph to this point would be a solid backup, slightly better than Landry. Ben has spoiled us, but I really want a QB who can keep plays alive and run for first down if needed. You think about all the shitty O lines Ben played with and still made playoffs. Rudolph has zero chance with big pressure, I agree experiment is or should be over.

Edman
11-24-2019, 04:28 PM
And you're precisely the type of "fan" who deserves 20+ more years of absolute suck at the QB position.

Don’t Criticize the great lord Ben.

Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s as compared to the 1980’s?

I’ve already dealt with the Kordell years with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s compared as compared to the 1980’s? They’re mostly the same if you ask me.

I’ve already dealt with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.

I would agree with you through 1984

But after that the 70s players aged out and by 1988 that team was craptastically bad

fansince'76
11-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Don’t Criticize the great lord Ben.

Can I ask you what was so illustrious about the 2010’s as compared to the 1980’s?

I’ve already dealt with the Kordell years with a decade of underachievement at the QB position already. I think I’ll live.

There's "criticism" and then there's "scapegoating." I'll leave it to you to figure out the difference.

The Kordell "Era" was but a small blip on a much larger radar. But here's your cookie for "surviving." :cookie:

pczach
11-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Without question.

He has been crucifying Ben for years. He criticizes every aspect of his game. He wanted him to retire. In the game day thread today, he said that there would be no difference if Ben was in there.

He told everyone that Rudolph is the guy and that he is as good as Ben is.

He continues to make stupid comments and screams his wacky thoughts as if they are truths.

The prototypical chump fan that doesn't know what he had with a franchise QB leading his team for a decade and a half, and hopes for his demise so the team moves on from him so he attaches himself to anybody that isn't Ben. He was crushing anybody that didn't jump on board with Rudolph while simultaneously explaining what Ben sucked at or that he was only interested in stats and didn't care about winning.

Ridiculous

AtlantaDan
11-24-2019, 04:40 PM
that's what's bothering me about him, no progression

He already was coming apart - what happened at the end of the Browns game along with the aftermath in which some of the national media and Garrett engaged in race baiting, which the league took with the $50K fine nine days after the assault, may have broken him

(https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1198690500708044801)

11-24-2019, 04:45 PM
He already was coming apart - what happened at the end of the Browns game along with the aftermath in which some of the national media and Garrett engaged in race baiting, which the league took with the $50K fine nine days after the assault, may have broken him

(https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1198690500708044801)I don't think he ever had it and was okay the first couple weeks throwing to the rbs. Teams figured that out now and Imo why the decline.

st33lersguy
11-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Hodges attempts the throws a QB has to make to move the chains and win games. He's got more mobility, he connects to moving targets better, and IMO the guys like to play for him a bit better. Remember, he had the team rolling and almost won in overtime if not for Ju-ju, and won his lone start on the road. He also bailed us out, winning this game. You could say he won two games, and almost won a third, but didn't due to a key bad play from the WR.

This is entirely inaccurate, the defense and Connor won the LA Chargers game, all Duck did was throw dumpoffs all night. I don't remember him completing a pass more than 10 yards all night. The defense also won the Bengals game. He had that one throw but he was 5/11 the entire day and the offense didn't do anything other than that TD. At this point, this screwed offensively for the rest of the season regardless of who starts at QB. All they can do is overhaul the offense after the season is over and hope somehow Ben fully recovers

Dissolv
11-24-2019, 04:57 PM
But isn't that still more than Mason is giving us?

teegre
11-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Duck didn’t look timid. And, he threw it downfield.

Those two things made the safeties play back, which allowed Snell to win the game.

Edman
11-24-2019, 05:02 PM
There's "criticism" and then there's "scapegoating." I'll leave it to you to figure out the difference.

The Kordell "Era" was but a small blip on a much larger radar. But here's your cookie for "surviving." :cookie:

You must be talking about those mythical horrible twenty five years “after Bradshaw” where the Steelers still went to AFC title games and Super Bowls. Those “horrible years” right?

Speaking of Bradshaw, he was hung in effigy in Pittsburgh and benched several times and benched for the better part of four years before he ever found his stride in the 70’s. I guess he didn’t have it either or Pittsburghers were just dickheads.

86WARD
11-24-2019, 05:08 PM
I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.

Rotorhead
11-24-2019, 05:45 PM
This is entirely inaccurate, the defense and Connor won the LA Chargers game, all Duck did was throw dumpoffs all night. I don't remember him completing a pass more than 10 yards all night. The defense also won the Bengals game. He had that one throw but he was 5/11 the entire day and the offense didn't do anything other than that TD. At this point, this screwed offensively for the rest of the season regardless of who starts at QB. All they can do is overhaul the offense after the season is over and hope somehow Ben fully recovers

His first drive was more than MR put together in 2.5 qrtrs, also he got no 1st teams snaps pretty much all season. So, at this point we have nothing to lose, we know what we have in MR, may as well see what Duck can do to finish out this season.

st33lersguy
11-24-2019, 05:57 PM
His first drive was more than MR put together in 2.5 qrtrs, also he got no 1st teams snaps pretty much all season. So, at this point we have nothing to lose, we know what we have in MR, may as well see what Duck can do to finish out this season.

Not saying stick with Rudolph, I'm just saying it probably doesn't matter either way. It's also counterpoint to people want to anoint Duck as the savior of the season after literally one long pass play

11-24-2019, 06:01 PM
Not saying stick with Rudolph, I'm just saying it probably doesn't matter either way. It's also counterpoint to people want to anoint Duck as the savior of the season after literally one long pass play Duck also had a few passes where he hit the wr in stride and you don't see Mason able to do that. Duck may not be the savior but he gives you a better chance to win and since we still are in the playoff hunt. You role with him in my opinion.

tube517
11-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Rudolph is a statue and even worse since the concussion hit.

Duck is no savior but at least he doesn't look scared and can scramble.

Steelerchad
11-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Really disappointed with Rudolph's play. When we drafted him, he felt like the guy that would take over for Ben. He looks lost out there. Panicky, doesn't move in the pocket at all. No slide step to improve the passing lanes, no tuck and go, just dump it off to whoever is closest to him.

Moose
11-24-2019, 07:16 PM
One of the biggest problems I've seen with Mason the last few games is that he was hanging on the ball too damn long waiting for someone to become open. He never tried go get out of the pocket or just throw the damn ball in the stands, therefore sacks and big lost of yardage. Hell, we started one series at the 6 yard line and ended having to kick a FG. I like Mason, but I'm all for Duck finishing the season if he keeps us rolling. Scary, ugly win today, but a GREAT one.

teegre
11-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Duck is no savior but at least he doesn't look scared and can scramble.

Indeed :nod: It keeps the safeties from stacking the box. It may not be much, but it’s just enough to allow our RBs to have a chance to move the chains.

steelreserve
11-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Not saying stick with Rudolph, I'm just saying it probably doesn't matter either way. It's also counterpoint to people want to anoint Duck as the savior of the season after literally one long pass play

I think another poster nailed it when they said Duck helps the offense be less one-dimensional because he is willing to try throws in the 10-20 yard range that Rudolph just will not. That keeps the defense from selling out against the short stuff, and if nothing else, makes the running game and screens more effective.

He does not look great on a lot of those mid-range passes, and he is going to make some bad mistakes.

But even that is better than the Rudolph situation, which is basically that we are going to get shut down entirely, now that other teams have him figured out.

Shoes
11-24-2019, 07:44 PM
I think mason will be back after the Browns game. Colbert and Rudolph were talking and chuckling on the sideline as the game was going on. Doesn’t strike me as an experiment that is over. Duck isn’t the answer, lots of back up QBs have come into a game and looked good, most of the time it just that the defense needs to adjust to a new player, and they do.

pczach
11-24-2019, 07:53 PM
You must be talking about those mythical horrible twenty five years “after Bradshaw” where the Steelers still went to AFC title games and Super Bowls. Those “horrible years” right?

Speaking of Bradshaw, he was hung in effigy in Pittsburgh and benched several times and benched for the better part of four years before he ever found his stride in the 70’s. I guess he didn’t have it either or Pittsburghers were just dickheads.

You're the one hanging Big Ben with your words for years. Just like those Pittsburghers you call dickheads.

Man, you are all over the place, and none of your thoughts make much sense.

Steeler-in-west
11-24-2019, 07:59 PM
I think mason will be back after the Browns game. Colbert and Rudolph were talking and chuckling on the sideline as the game was going on. Doesn’t strike me as an experiment that is over. Duck isn’t the answer, lots of back up QBs have come into a game and looked good, most of the time it just that the defense needs to adjust to a new player, and they do.

Well bradshaw was benched, but somehow I don’t think it’ll end the same way

RunNGun
11-24-2019, 08:03 PM

You're just on a roll for being wrong. Duck isn't the answer obviously, but he's an upgrade over MR.

Shoes
11-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Well bradshaw was benched, but somehow I don’t think it’ll end the same way

Agreed, mason will not win 4 SB’s but Duck, Lynch and Ben won’t either. :chuckle:

Shoes
11-24-2019, 08:16 PM
You're just on a roll for being wrong. Duck isn't the answer obviously, but he's an upgrade over MR.

Well if it isn’t Dr. Jekyll! How was your blood pressure today? :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
11-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the instant gratification era of sports. I mean Ben kind of ruined it for everyone after him. Ripping off 15 straight wins a rookie and winning a superbowl the next year. Up until than QBs used to be groomed for 3 4 years before getting called into action.

I'm gonna ramble so hold on...

I think Mason overthinks and doesnt allow himself to trust his instincts. While hodges doesnt think at all and just let's it rip.

Mason has all the tools to be good, but I think the Thomas hit he has never recovered. Then in a frustrating loss get cracked over his head with helmet and a week later gets accused a racist.

Up until Thomas s dirty hit, I though he had great pocket presence. After, he holds on to the ball and almost waits to see where the pass rush is behind before throwing. Locks in and doesnt move .

Where do we go from here?

Let Ducky take the flag until we as fans want to tar and feather him as well(lol he really be a duck than) . Mason should appreciate time out of the spotlight and offload some pressure that has mounted up in 3 weeks. Clear head mason is way better than what we have seen. I hope we keep him when Ben gets back to really reset himself and reconsider in a a year or two.

ThorndikeFFA
11-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Well, almost two months post surgery Ben won't even shake hands with his right paw. After the game was shown protecting his arm against any accidental contact.

I'm not hopeful we'll ever see Big Ben suit up again.

That said, Mason is NOT the answer. I don't think that Duck is overly impressed by anyone. That's good! Keep him in! He'll make mistakes, but he'll try!

Fire Goodell
11-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Rudolph honestly started regressing after he was figured out (Midway through the Indy game). Indy started locking down the running back and then the offense hasn't moved ever since. Teams have been copying that and will continue that until they prove they can push the ball downfield.

Steeldude
11-25-2019, 02:37 AM
The Steelers will have to wait until 2021 to pick a QB early.

But wait, maybe it will take MR 4 seasons to be ready. I say we let him screw around for 4 years. Then, after those 4 years, if he makes a few good plays the Steelers can lock him up for a huge contract.

fansince'76
11-25-2019, 04:49 AM
Well, almost two months post surgery Ben won't even shake hands with his right paw. After the game was shown protecting his arm against any accidental contact.

Yep, I'm not either.

Butch
11-25-2019, 05:25 AM
Duck came in and helped us win the game so props to him, but he will only be as good as his last win. He still has a lot to prove so we will see how it all plays out. I am not so sure he is any better than Mason at this point, but that being said I would start him vs the clowns this weekend.

Shoes
11-25-2019, 06:57 AM
The Steelers will have to wait until 2021 to pick a QB early.

But wait, maybe it will take MR 4 seasons to be ready. I say we let him screw around for 4 years. Then, after those 4 years, if he makes a few good plays the Steelers can lock him up for a huge contract.

Well one thing you can give the Steelers credit for is letting Boswell hang around because the bulk of this forum would have booted him last year with no idea of why he was having issues.

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 07:40 AM
No turning back... I was one of his biggest supporters, but he regressed and never made progress. Outside of his first two passes, Duck didn't look much better, but he's got to be the guy for now. Who knows, maybe Paxton plays at some point.

#beatthebrowns

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 08:41 AM
I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/48eec61c9c02e46d4c1c6547cfdfb5f0/tumblr_mwrnyb9TFh1qhhxf6o1_500.gifv

:chuckle:

teegre
11-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Rudolph’s last three games:

Punt, Punt, Punt,, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

Turnover on downs, Turnover on downs, Turnover on downs

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety

Rotorhead
11-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Punt, Punt, Punt,, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety

Well, when you put it like that . . .

PalmerSteel
11-25-2019, 11:14 AM
He definitely wasn't playing lights out and was good yet, but IMO i think the knockout hit he took a month ago or so has shaken him mentally more than he even realizes. Last weeks end of game may have shaken him a little more. Some QB's never shake off them mental mistakes. I think he should start, not because he has earned it but because we need to see if he can shake this off or not. This may be what it takes to get over the hump and if he starts off terrible, yank him and and start duck rest of season and we draft a QB in the 2nd round next year or get Brady lol.

HollywoodSteel
11-25-2019, 11:19 AM

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT

TD, TD

FG

Missed FG

Fumble

Safety

That’s not in sequence though, right?

For a second I got excited, thinking Mason might have gotten two TDs in a row! Lol

teegre
11-25-2019, 11:22 AM
That’s not in sequence though, right?

For a second I got excited, thinking Mason might have gotten two TDs in a row! Lol

:applaudit: No... not in order.

I collated it into sort of an info-graph.

Squeegee Thompson
11-25-2019, 11:42 AM

That said, Mason is NOT the answer. I don't think that Duck is overly impressed by anyone. That's good! Keep him in! He'll make mistakes, but he'll try!

It's November - two months after surgery. Ben doesn't need to throw a football for 8 more months. Relax. He'll be back.

steelreserve
11-25-2019, 12:46 PM
It's November - two months after surgery. Ben doesn't need to throw a football for 8 more months. Relax. He'll be back.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when this first happened, we were all worried it was a Tommy John injury that would take 18 months to recover from. And the official response was "Tommy John surgery only takes 18 months for baseball pitchers, for football QBs it's more like 9 months, and actually this isn't even a Tommy John surgery, it's something less serious and you're back to normal in a few months."

This sounds a lot less like that, anyway. If he's back to normal by the start of next season, I'll take it.

SteelMember
11-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Ben and his Drama... just a little tennis elbow. He'll be back.

Fire Goodell
11-25-2019, 01:03 PM
It's the Wade Wilson effect. There's 2 types of QB's, one that has a bad game and has his confidence shot, or ones that bounce back. This QB from the Saints I remember, looked like a world beater 6 games into the season and started of 6-0. Had one terrible game vs the Steelers (threw 2 INTs to Rod Woodson, one being a pick 6) and then his entire season looked shot after that. Dude went from looking like a good starter to a rattled shell of his former self.

IMO this is where you figure out if you have someone with a real future in the NFL or not. Mason didn't pass this test.

DesertSteel
11-25-2019, 01:03 PM
If Ben was any kind of player he'd be back by now under center. It's all for attention.

ETL
11-25-2019, 09:46 PM
My optimistic self says that Trent Dilfer has won a SB doing nothing special except protecting the ball. So if Duck can protect the ball - we have a chance to make the playoffs.

my pessimistic self says that we got serious problems. Ben is injury prone and not a guarantee to come back next year as his normal self. And this team is too mature at the OL and defense to experiment with a mid round rookie QB. We need a veteran backup like Bridgewater.

Method28
11-25-2019, 10:31 PM
I’d take Kordell at QB right now in a second...lol.I actually think Kordell was ahead of his time. I feel If he was drafted now he'd do quite well!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Craic
11-25-2019, 11:16 PM
I think Rudolph got scapegoated. He's not a franchise QB but he had no help either. The O-line has not helped him, the receivers have not helped him, and Milton Waddams Fichtner is horrible. The Steelers should have hired a QB coach to work with him, instead they lazily keep the QB coach designation to Fichtner after his undeserved promotion to OC, and the only coach Rudolph has to work with is a guy who is completely clueless if asked to do anything other than say yes to Ben. I think they need to dump Fichtner immediately and hire someone who can actually help a QB

And yet, Duck was able to pull victory from defeat. His two games have been better than Rudolph's first two games. So, either every learned the game of football in the few seconds it took to change QBs, or Rudolph had a problem that Duck doesn't have. Never mind they protected Rudolph for almost half a season from making stupid plays. When they couldn't do that anymore, he started making mistakes.

steelreserve
11-26-2019, 01:25 AM
I actually think Kordell was ahead of his time. I feel If he was drafted now he'd do quite well!

Kordell was the original athletic read-option type QB whose coaches ruined his career by trying to make him a drop-back passer. It's like we invented that bonehead move 20 years before it came in style.

Craic
11-26-2019, 02:21 AM
Kordell was the original athletic read-option type QB whose coaches ruined his career by trying to make him a drop-back passer. It's like we invented that bonehead move 20 years before it came in style.
I think you're exactly right. I have no idea why, when a QB plays better in movement, teams try to force them to stay in the pocket. Play to the strengths, not the weaknesses. Sure, force the player to stretch. I get it. But not to his detriment. Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.

Method28
11-26-2019, 02:43 AM
I think you're exactly right. I have no idea why, when a QB plays better in movement, teams try to force them to stay in the pocket. Play to the strengths, not the weaknesses. Sure, force the player to stretch. I get it. But not to his detriment. Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.Idk man. Jack of all trades....master of none.

I think he had all the tools...the Steelers just didnt have the vision to get the most out of Kordell

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

teegre
11-26-2019, 08:18 AM

Indeed

Kordell’s one weakness: throwing the ball
Kordell’s strength: running

So, what does Ray Sherman do? He tells Kordell to never run. The 1997 AFCCG would have been a victory if Kordell simply runs into the end-zone (as opposed to passing it into triple coverage).

- - - Updated - - -

had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.

Absolutely!!! No one else has ever had his skill set. Kordell truly could play three positions. Le’Veon Bell is close (RB, WR), but even Bell isn’t anywhere close to what Kordell was.

86WARD
11-26-2019, 08:32 AM

He was the wildcat before Ronnie Brown made it “famous”.

86WARD
11-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Then again, had he stayed in his role as slash, he just may have been a Hall of Fame player.

I’ve been thinking that for years! He was dominating as Slash!

teegre
11-26-2019, 08:42 AM
I’ve been thinking that for years! He was dominating as Slash!

Run CMC might be close... but, nah. Not even he is what Kordell could have been.

86WARD
11-26-2019, 12:23 PM
I loved watching Slash.

Fire Goodell
11-26-2019, 02:25 PM
So would you guys take Bubby Brister over Rudolph now? :chuckle:

11-26-2019, 02:30 PM
So would you guys take Bubby Brister over Rudolph now? :chuckle: Honestly I would!

DesertSteel
11-26-2019, 02:52 PM
This team could win the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnel at QB.

Steeler-in-west
11-26-2019, 03:33 PM
This team could win the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnel at QB.

as long as we’re not playing the cowboys in the super bowl

This team could make noise with Charlie Batch,

Craic
11-26-2019, 08:48 PM
as long as we’re not playing the cowboys in the super bowl

This team could make noise with Charlie Batch,

I wouldn't go that far. However, either of these young QBs would do well to have Batch as their backup. Just hope he doesn't touch the field. At least, the Batch of the last 3-4 years of his career.

Fire Goodell
11-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Bring in batch as a qb coach

86WARD
11-27-2019, 07:45 AM
Bring in batch as a qb coach

I said that way back when he retired. Just keep him here. Take his helmet and pads and give him a baseball hat and a collared shirt.

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Personally, I never want to see Rudolph behind center again. Ever. Unless it's with the team the Steelers are playing.

43Hitman
11-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Personally, I never want to see Rudolph behind center again. Ever. Unless it's with the team the Steelers are playing.

I wonder, did you say that when Bradshaw was benched several times? Those are strong words that will not age well if Mason gets his head on straight. I'm a fan of the Steelers first, and this includes all players and coaches. As long as they are on THIS team, I'm pulling for them to succeed.

11-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Personally, I never want to see Rudolph behind center again. Ever. Unless it's with the team the Steelers are playing. He is probably the worse Steeler starting QB I ever seen other then Mark Mallone.

Six Rings
11-27-2019, 06:07 PM
He is probably the worse Steeler starting QB I ever seen other then Mark Mallone.

Malone was better. He wasn’t accurate, but he was mobile and had a great arm. Worst since Kent Graham?

43Hitman
11-27-2019, 06:25 PM
He is probably the worse Steeler starting QB I ever seen other then Mark Mallone.
Then you haven't seen many Steelers QBs from the 80's. Can we just drop the hyperbole? Fuck it, nevermind this shit is falling on deaf ears anyways. Carry on.

11-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Malone was better. He wasn’t accurate, but he was mobile and had a great arm. Worst since Kent Graham? I meant Kent at camp. I yelled Ted Danson and he came over and we all laughed. He stood there for 14 hours signing autographs without moving his legs. Ps. most of this story is true.

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Then you haven't seen many Steelers QBs from the 80's. Can we just drop the hyperbole? Fuck it, nevermind this shit is falling on deaf ears anyways. Carry on.
I get what you're saying....... but....... here's some hyperbole that's common around here..... all these terrible starting quarterbacks from the 80's. There were a total of FIVE starting QBs for the Steelers in the 80's that started more than 5 games, and one of them is in the HOF.

80's QB and Games Started:
Bradshaw 39
Stoudt 16
Malone 45
Woodley 13
Brister 29

So...... can everybody stop throwing around the hyperbole of all these horrible QBs. They may have been horrible but there were only four of them.

43Hitman
11-27-2019, 07:31 PM
I get what you're saying....... but....... here's some hyperbole that's common around here..... all these terrible starting quarterbacks from the 80's. There were a total of FIVE starting QBs for the Steelers in the 80's that started more than 5 games, and one of them is in the HOF.

Bradshaw 39
Stoudt 16
Malone 45
Woodley 13
Brister 29

So...... can everybody stop throwing around the hyperbole of all these horrible QBs. They may have been horrible but there were only four of them.

You're right, I should have said 80's, 90's and early 00's. I'm not trying to move the goal posts, I misspoke when only talking about the 80's and own that. At least you understand where I was coming from.

:drink:

pczach
11-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Bradshaw 39
Stoudt 16
Malone 45
Woodley 13
Brister 29

Here are a few more that started games for the Steelers in the 80's

Todd Blackledge 5
Steve Bono 3
Scott Campbell 2

I think Blackledge was tried as a starter, but didn't last long.

DesertSteel
11-27-2019, 07:41 PM
You're right, I should have said 80's, 90's and early 00's. I'm not trying to move the goal posts, I misspoke when only talking about the 80's and own that. At least you understand where I was coming from.

:drink:
One draft pick with the initials DM could have solved all of it!!! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few more that started games for the Steelers in the 80's

Todd Blackledge 5
Steve Bono 3
Scott Campbell 2
Yes I said started more than 5 games.

pczach
11-27-2019, 07:44 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I said started more than 5 games.

Sorry. Didn't see the 5 games in your post. :doh:

43Hitman
11-27-2019, 07:44 PM

No doubt.

11-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Why I said Mallone was the worst and his favorite two WR's was Turf & Dirt and that he started so many games and the reason DM wasn't drafted.