PDA

View Full Version : Would you be okay with this mentality?

bendsteel
11-18-2019, 05:30 PM
1) I guess we still have a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs, but we ALL know it aint happening.
2) I read this board often enough to know how many folks prefer to bash on the squad and coaches.
3) What if the Steelers came right out and said..."this season is a goner. May as well do some learnin'.

What I am suggesting is that the team could go crazy plugging different people into different roles. Test driving some new blood.Cutting some old blood. Perhaps even putting coaches into a hot seat of "lets see how you handle this or your gone" thought process. A losing season sucks balls and I hate it, but there has GOT TO BE some upside to not caring about W`s and L`s for a hot minute. I get that a lot of fans would poop their diapers with anything less than full on winning effort, but the team could benefit from it in some way if they look at things the right way. We got enough of a team to compete next year if some heads get removed from some asses...or just removed. Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-18-2019, 05:49 PM
So are you suggesting starting Minkah at QB and Rudolph at CB ? Bud Dupree at RB?

steelreserve
11-18-2019, 05:56 PM
It is not unreasonable to treat this season as a learning experience.

I don't think randomly trying people in new roles is really going to help anything - all you'd be doing is playing guys out of position and you'd probably get shitty results.

If there was ever a time to try out some unproven players, or different offensive schemes, or maybe trying someone in a different role we were thinking of doing anyway - there is no better time for that.

But on defense I think we're actually improving a lot as-is, so we're better off if we just keep doing what we're doing. Offense - well shit, your guess is as good as mine. We kind of are trying out a ton of new players there already, not by choice. The results there speak for themselves.

11-18-2019, 06:03 PM
It is not unreasonable to treat this season as a learning experience.

I don't think randomly trying people in new roles is really going to help anything - all you'd be doing is playing guys out of position and you'd probably get shitty results.

If there was ever a time to try out some unproven players, or different offensive schemes, or maybe trying someone in a different role we were thinking of doing anyway - there is no better time for that.

But on defense I think we're actually improving a lot as-is, so we're better off if we just keep doing what we're doing. Offense - well shit, your guess is as good as mine. We kind of are trying out a ton of new players there already, not by choice. The results there speak for themselves. Agree leave the D alone. But yes as far as offense what else can be changed other then given Duck and Lynch both a shot if Mason continues to play bad ? Maybe move around some offense line players ? Give the rookie TE some playing time ?

bendsteel
11-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Oh that`s exactly what I meant....not. Let me see if I can dumb it down. Is Rudolph the future? I dont know. Is Duck? Dont know. Is the wildcat shit worth working on or scraping? Do we have the optimal punt kick returners. Perhaps someone else could light that shit up given the chance. Does our center suddenly suck or is it his mates...or coaching...or injury? This stuff is impossible to REALLY work on in the offseason as there are no live games. Everything coached is theory. Honestly, I am tired of Belichick...mostly because he outcoaches virtually EVERYONE on our team...every time! Just wishing this team could find and exploit the silver lining on our dark cloud of a season.

- - - Updated - - -

How about finding a consultant (Bill Parcells for example) to teach our coaches how to do their job. Players need coaching. Are we saying coaches do not need coaching?

11-18-2019, 06:15 PM
As for center that is going to play out on it's on since Pouncy has three games off. As for the coaches if they need coach up. Well they should be fired then and should be competent.

steelcityboyz
11-18-2019, 06:28 PM
As for the coaches if they need coach up. Well they should be fired then and should be competent.:amen:

bendsteel
11-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Cool. Lets axe them all. You act like its going to the grocery store to pick up position coaches and that they come with a guarantee tag. Yeah, we got some shitty coaching and they should go. I mean if we are gonna do a full rebuild then yes. It is short sighted to think that everyone and anyone cannot use coaching. I have earned a damn good salary coaching(consulting) folks that have been in their industry for 20+ years.
Dare I say, the Belichick should do a post HC gig as a Coaching Consultant. He would make cheese!

Fire Goodell
11-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Honestly I never had high expectations of this season after Ben went down. What I want to see is improvement from Mason, though that's been disappointing so far.

However, I won't be so harsh on him for Thursday's performance. 1) It was his first division road game against probably the most hostile crowd he's gonna see all year (besides baltimore) 2) His top two receivers were out, and so was his #1 running back (and arguably the #2 RB, Snell might be a better rusher than Samuels). Even Joe Montana would have sucked probably.

steelreserve
11-18-2019, 07:18 PM
I am not ready to bench Rudolph yet. There is almost no chance at all that Duck or Lynch is the long-term answer at QB - we are better off if we leave no doubt that Rudolph is/isn't the future. Not screwing around to maybe win one more game (but probably not).

That is the best "experiment" we can run - Rudolph sink or swim.

DesertSteel
11-18-2019, 08:04 PM
1) I guess we still have a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs, but we ALL know it aint happening.

Speak for yourself. At 5-5 after a 1-4 start why would I “know it ain’t happening”? One terrible game, where we were only down 7 points in the 4th quarter, doesn’t make me abandon ship in a terribly weak AFC wildcard race.

- - - Updated - - -

How about finding a consultant (Bill Parcells for example) to teach our coaches how to do their job. Players need coaching. Are we saying coaches do not need coaching?
What planet are you from???

GoSlash27
11-19-2019, 05:40 AM
My attitude is that this season is officially toast. Not because of the loss, but because of the injuries. That doesn't change my opinion on what we should do moving forward; take it one game at a time and don't make radical changes.

teegre
11-19-2019, 06:47 AM
Speak for yourself. At 5-5 after a 1-4 start why would I “know it ain’t happening”? One terrible game, where we were only down 7 points in the 4th quarter, doesn’t make me abandon ship in a terribly weak AFC wildcard race.

Exactly

“It’s not over!!!”

The way that this defense is playing, they’ll keep us in every game. The injuries have completely derailed the offense, but if Mason can avoid the costly turnovers, any game is winning... and, anything is possible.

The way that the Ravens are playing, the AFC North might be out of reach... but, the Steelers are still in the running for the Wild Card.

And, I do not just mean mathematically. Look at the rest of the AFC; it’s a bunch of teams eking out wins (much like the Steelers have been doing). We are in no worse shape than most of them.

steel striker
11-19-2019, 11:17 AM
It's not over we have strange things happen and, I want to see how Mason plays this week. The entire offense had an horrible game and, the defense still kept in the game. Still worried about the o-line since Pouncey will be out.

vasteeler
11-19-2019, 02:15 PM
as far as Mason goes, he is getting absolutely zero help from his receivers. Not that he's been playing lights out or anyting but how many drops have we seen from the wide receiver group

Fire Goodell
11-19-2019, 03:46 PM
as far as Mason goes, he is getting absolutely zero help from his receivers. Not that he's been playing lights out or anyting but how many drops have we seen from the wide receiver group

I've seen at least 4-5 passes he threw to Holton that hit him in the hands that would have been 40+ yard gainers or TDs if he could catch worth a shit

GoSlash27
11-19-2019, 04:44 PM
“It’s not over!!!”

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!!

tube517
11-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Yes!

Dissolv
11-20-2019, 11:28 AM
It's not over but they need a "Come to Jesus" moment for sure. But last week was a short week, the Browns were out for blood (for some reason), and our injury list was longer than my grocery list. There is reason for hope, although I don't know what our realistic goal is for this season. 8-8? I would say that 9-7 might be a triumph over adversity, and a playoff appearance a near miracle, given the circumstances.

teegre
11-21-2019, 07:02 AM

When the going gets tough...

teegre
11-21-2019, 07:18 AM

teegre
11-21-2019, 07:26 AM

GoSlash27
11-21-2019, 07:26 AM
The tough get going! :D

GoSlash27
11-21-2019, 07:32 AM
This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst :(

teegre
11-21-2019, 08:42 AM
This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst :(

You’re right. Psychotic, but absolutely right.

Blast Furnace
11-21-2019, 03:01 PM
Honestly I never had high expectations of this season after Ben went down. What I want to see is improvement from Mason, though that's been disappointing so far.

However, I won't be so harsh on him for Thursday's performance. 1) It was his first division road game against probably the most hostile crowd he's gonna see all year (besides baltimore) 2) His top two receivers were out, and so was his #1 running back (and arguably the #2 RB, Snell might be a better rusher than Samuels). Even Joe Montana would have sucked probably.

I will lay a lot of the blame for our offensive woes at the feet of Fitchner! He sucks and has absolutely no flow or vision for play calling - maybe even worse than Todd Haley! I would like to light a fire under "HIS" ass or he can leave, even if it pisses off Ben! Is there someone else in the organization that can call plays -0 give them a chance! I would be all for it. I can tell right now what we have with Fitchner!

Rotorhead
11-21-2019, 03:10 PM
We actually still have a good chance to make the playoffs, we own 2 tiebreakers over Indy and the Texans, Houston and Indy play each other this week (root for Houston to win!). The Bills have a rough schedule down the stretch. We could easily finish 10-7 still.

GoSlash27
11-21-2019, 03:12 PM
We actually still have a good chance to make the playoffs, we own 2 tiebreakers over Indy and the Texans, Houston and Indy play each other this week (root for Houston to win!). The Bills have a rough schedule down the stretch. We could easily finish 10-7 still.
10-7? :confused:

HollywoodSteel
11-22-2019, 03:40 PM
You’re right. Psychotic, but absolutely right.

We could fight ‘em with conventional weapons. But that could take years, cost millions of lives...

teegre
11-23-2019, 12:15 PM
We could fight ‘em with conventional weapons. But that could take years, cost millions of lives...

Toga... TOGA... TOGA!!!... TOGA!!!!!

HollywoodSteel: Wrong scene, brother.

GoSlash: Right movie, right character...

Hollywood / GoSlaah: Toga... TOGA... TOGA!!!... TOGA!!!!!

pczach
11-23-2019, 12:50 PM

HollywoodSteel: Wrong scene, brother.

GoSlash: Right movie, right character...

Hollywood / GoSlaah: Toga... TOGA... TOGA!!!... TOGA!!!!!

You're all over it...as always!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4HnMZUmDkMJSIQ7u/giphy.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Did someone refer to the wrong scene?????

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZsJpfCviooous/giphy.gif

teegre
11-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Did someone refer to the wrong scene?????

I was the one who switched gears. :wink02:

“Why?” you ask.

Because, they took the bar... they took the WHOLE FUCKING BAR!!!

Buckinnuts
11-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Minka at WR

HollywoodSteel
11-25-2019, 04:18 PM
I was the one who switched gears. :wink02:

“Why?” you ask.

Because, they took the bar... they took the WHOLE FUCKING BAR!!!

Well, you can do what you want to us, but we’re not gonna sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

teegre
11-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Well, you can do what you want to us, but we’re not gonna sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

Seven years of college... down the drain!!!