PDA

View Full Version : Browns DE Myles Garrett Suspended Indefinitely; Maurkice Pouncey Suspended 3 Games

86WARD
11-15-2019, 01:09 PM
The NFL has levied its punishment for Thursday night's altercation between the Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers, and the penalties are significant.

The league suspended Browns defensive end Myles Garrett without pay indefinitely, adding that at minimum Garrett will miss the regular season and postseason as a result of his actions in the conflict, which included violations "of unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct rules, as well as fighting, removing the helmet of an opponent and using the helmet as a weapon," per a statement from NFL senior VP of communications Michael Signora. Garrett also was fined an additional amount for his actions Thursday night.

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey was suspended three games without pay and fined an additional amount for his actions, which included "punching and kicking an opponent." Pouncey is expected to appeal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. He would miss Pittsburgh's second meeting with Cleveland this season if the suspension is upheld.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076995/article/browns-de-myles-garrett-suspended-indefinitely

86WARD
11-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Both teams also fined 250k each...

tube517
11-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Shoes
11-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Didn't Garrett make a few of these statements in the past?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Pouncey can work on his snaps with all that free time he has. :chuckle:

86WARD
11-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Pouncey suspension is a little excessive. While the intent was there with the kick, he didn’t connect. 2 games max imo.

Mojouw
11-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Pouncey suspension is a little excessive. While the intent was there with the kick, he didn’t connect. 2 games max imo.

He will quietly get it reduced on appeal. The NFL does this all the time. Hands out immediate BIG headline grabbing suspensions. Dudes appeal and after the media has moved on, the ban gets reduced a game or two.

AtlantaDan
11-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Watching the backlash (real or fake) building against Rudolph on this from contrarians is going to be a side show

This from the Saints DL who said before the Steelers game last season that Ben is not a HOF QB and Eli is better

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/myles-garrett-helmet-fight-nfl-star-says-mason-rudolph-should-be-partially-blamed-for-starting-wild-brawl/

DesertSteel
11-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Cam Jordan is a clown.

fansince'76
11-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Postseason? LOL. The Browns won't be playing in the postseason.

j-d-s
11-15-2019, 03:18 PM
They will manage to somehow lose to the Bungals which will ruin the Bungals first overall pick and keep the Browns out of the postseason.

st33lersguy
11-15-2019, 03:41 PM
The shitstains become as much of a garbage organization as the Bungals and Purple Rats

stillers4me
11-15-2019, 06:14 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191116/8f38ddc8b77b7f442e559b57ffeb8404.jpg

Crow-Magnon
11-15-2019, 06:38 PM
The shitstains become as much of a garbage organization as the Bungals and Purple Rats

Umm-m-m...I think not. I don’t think there is much comparison between the Bengals, Browns and the Ravens.

dislocatedday
11-15-2019, 06:53 PM

I'm not sure how you can put the Ravens in the category of garbage organization. They may be our prime rivals, and you may not like them, but they do have a well run organization.

I respect the Ravens........whereas I have not respected the Brown and Bengals much over the years.

Craic
11-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Umm-m-m...I think not. I don’t think there is much comparison between the Bengals, Browns and the Ravens.

I absolutely agree. How many fights have there been between the Ravens and the Steelers? Yet, not once has a Ravens player taken a weapon of any type, be it even a shoe, and start swinging it at the exposed head of a player for the Steelers. There's been several hits that looked a little cheap, but that was on both sides, and it was part of the game.

Neversatisfied
11-15-2019, 07:13 PM
I may be alone with this option but i believe Mason Rudolph should have been suspended for 1 game. Rudolph wasn't exactly innocent in this whole fiasco. I'm not condoning what Garrett did but i see it this way. When your 2 children get into a fight you can't just punish the child who won the fight, you need to punish both.

Mojouw
11-15-2019, 07:13 PM
In general, the Ravens and Steelers engage in controlled violence. Bengals and Browns engage in uncontrolled mayhem.

Butch
11-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Hmmm well the Bungles was definitely an organizational thing and they went as far as defending what Burfect and others did.

At least the Browns organization has apologized to Mason for what Garrett did but without any actions on their part it is just words. So with that consideration I will hold off putting them in the same category as the shitty bungles. At least for now.

Craic
11-15-2019, 07:25 PM
I may be alone with this option but i believe Mason Rudolph should have been suspended for 1 game. Rudolph wasn't exactly innocent in this whole fiasco. I'm not condoning what Garrett did but i see it this way. When your 2 children get into a fight you can't just punish the child who won the fight, you need to punish both.

You are right that Rudolph wasn't innocent. However, nothing he did warrants a suspension for a first offense. I put that italics because to me, that's the key. There is a schedule of fines and on that schedule is a first-offense fighting fine. That should be applied to Mason. Moreover, that should also have been applied to Garrett up to the point where he swung the helmet. To use your analogy, if your two children are fighting, they both get an equal punishment. But, what do you do when one of the children picks up a hammer and swings it at the other, and it glances off the head rather than hitting him full-on? Do you still punish the two to the same degree, or do you punish the one who escalated the fight to a place where there is a legitimate danger of loss of life or limb? And, in the fight last night, that's what Garrett did. Had that helmet connected, with the force he swung it, it could have caused permanent damage. That's why his punishment is so much more. Again, had that swinging helmet not happened, I would be in complete agreement with you.

st33lersguy
11-15-2019, 07:43 PM

You mean Earl Thomas' launching himself into Rudolph's head to knock him out? Or one of them players choking out OBJ earlier in the year? Or we can back to the way that organization stood up for Ray Rice after he knocked his girlfriend out and only meekly backed out after everyone else saw the video? Or even back to 08 when the Ravens practically admitted to placing bounties on the Steelers (and getting away with it).

Craic
11-15-2019, 08:21 PM
You mean Earl Thomas' launching himself into Rudolph's head to knock him out? Or one of them players choking out OBJ earlier in the year? Or we can back to the way that organization stood up for Ray Rice after he knocked his girlfriend out and only meekly backed out after everyone else saw the video? Or even back to 08 when the Ravens practically admitted to placing bounties on the Steelers (and getting away with it).

You're confusing result with intent. Was every hit Hines Ward put on a Ravens' player done with intention to knock them out? Was his hit on the Bengal player done with the intent to break his jaw? No and No. The same is true with Earl Thomas. Unless there is legitimate evidence that separates his act from those of Hines Ward and others. (There's not).

Was it an illegal play? yes. But, if wanted to hurt Mason, he would have come at him entirely different. Head down (not up), launch earlier for a better trajectory, more coil in his body for a better launch, and so on.

As for other incidents. We don't have any of them on the Steelers, right?

Dan Rooney didn't stand up for James Harrisons' hitting the mother of his son by saying it was somehow less wrong because Harrison was picking up the son to take him to his baptism, right? :doh:

This organization didn't stick by Ben after 2 very separate accusations of rape. Right?

The Steelers aren't the ONLY AFCN team to have had legitimate fights with every other team in the AFCN in the last two years or so, right?

(Of course, there's legitimate excuses or reasons for all of those, right?)

EzraTank
11-15-2019, 09:14 PM
You're confusing result with intent. Was every hit Hines Ward put on a Ravens' player done with intention to knock them out? Was his hit on the Bengal player done with the intent to break his jaw? No and No. The same is true with Earl Thomas. Unless there is legitimate evidence that separates his act from those of Hines Ward and others. (There's not).

Was it an illegal play? yes. But, if wanted to hurt Mason, he would have come at him entirely different. Head down (not up), launch earlier for a better trajectory, more coil in his body for a better launch, and so on.

As for other incidents. We don't have any of them on the Steelers, right?

Dan Rooney didn't stand up for James Harrisons' hitting the mother of his son by saying it was somehow less wrong because Harrison was picking up the son to take him to his baptism, right? :doh:

This organization didn't stick by Ben after 2 very separate accusations of rape. Right?

The Steelers aren't the ONLY AFCN team to have had legitimate fights with every other team in the AFCN in the last two years or so, right?

(Of course, there's legitimate excuses or reasons for all of those, right?)

Spot on.

Fire Goodell
11-15-2019, 10:52 PM
In 2 weeks, I hope the Steelers come at the Browns like it's 1979, you know what I'm saying? Juju owes somebody a peelback block

Mojouw
11-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Scoreboard is all that matters. Blow them out. That's more meaningful.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Scoreboard is all that matters. Blow them out. That's more meaningful. Yep don't sink to their level and beat them that most likely will end their season. That will be payback!

Hawkman
11-16-2019, 11:00 AM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191116/8f38ddc8b77b7f442e559b57ffeb8404.jpg

You had fun with that didn’t you.?:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Hawkman
11-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Scoreboard is all that matters. Blow them out. That's more meaningful.

Two weeks from tomorrow should be entertaining.

tube517
11-21-2019, 10:52 AM

tube517
11-21-2019, 12:39 PM
So Myles Garrett is now claiming that Mason Rudolph used a racial slur at him.

Where was this "argument" last week?

AtlantaDan
11-21-2019, 01:09 PM
So Myles Garrett is now claiming that Mason Rudolph used a racial slur at him.

Where was this "argument" last week?

A “journalist” from ESPN sent out a tweet right after the melee, that she subsequently took down, that stated an all around great guy like Garrett could only have gone off if Mason said something terrible with what I took to be the implication it would have been racially motivated

At the time I posted it was in Garrett’s interest to roll with the accusation Mason lit the fuse by saying something horrible whether true or not

Now the social justice warriors engaged in the legacy of struggle are going to be coming after Mason without asking why Garrett waited until this week to make his allegation or wondering who might have fed Garrett this suggested line

tube517
11-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Garrett's indefinite suspension upheld.

Pouncey's suspension reduced to 2 games

86WARD
11-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Even if Rudolph called him the worst possible thing you could think of...still doesn’t warrant a helmet to the head...lol.

And Bro...7 days to come up with that excuse? Should’ve lied the night of. Shouldn’t be too hard to figure out the truth...they have mics everywhere...

AtlantaDan
11-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Garrett's indefinite suspension upheld.

Pouncey's suspension reduced to 2 games

Seems to be an assessment by the league office of how credible Garrett’s playing of the race card was

Thoughtful (as usual) response by AV

Steelers are pissed about this - if the Browns now decide to back up Garrett the rematch is going to be lit

86WARD
11-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Pouncey being reduced was the right thing. Don’t think it should’ve been two games though. Still think it should’ve been one but the league probably doesn’t want him involved in the next game...

Fire Goodell
11-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Seems to be an assessment by the league office of how credible Garrett’s playing of the race card was

Steelers are pissed about this - if the Browns now decide to back up Garrett the rematch is going to be lit

Total punk move by Garrett. I used to respect the guy as a player but now I think he's total trash as a person. F him

steel striker
11-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Yeah Garrett is POS doing anything & saying crap that is not true trying to save his butt. Guess what? DID NOT WORK!

Mojouw
11-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Immediately thought after the incident that this would get raised at some point. It was an obvious way out for Garrett. Kinda surprising it didn't get floated earlier.

AtlantaDan
11-21-2019, 03:28 PM
League calls bullshit on Garrett

Of course Schefter tweeted out Garrett’s defamation of Rudolph and let that fester for several hours before tweeting out the league’s conclusion the accusation was false but have to tweet out those nuggets ASAP

Props to Garrett for finishing off his public image with this stunt

86WARD
11-21-2019, 03:30 PM
If he got THAT HOT over Rudolph using a “racial slur” that he would try to conk him in the head with a helmet then he would’ve still been pissed after the game and would’ve said that’s why he did it...yet nothing...lol.

vader29
11-21-2019, 04:21 PM

st33lersguy
11-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Wow, Garrett has now resorted to race-baiting. Unbelievable.

Frankly the hate Mason Rudolph is getting from the media and other Steeler haters is ridiculous. I guarantee you if Garrett did that to a media darling QB like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson or the newest Golden Boy Jackson, there would be no such hate on the QB it would be all on Garrett. But since it's a Steelers QB, then the biased media and irrational steeler haters come out in full force to bash on Rudolph, seriously it's disgusting. Marlon Humphrey of the Ratbirds didn't get 1/10th the backlash for literally choking out OBJ, but I guess poking at the Steelers is more fun.

AtlantaDan
11-21-2019, 04:44 PM
At least this is flushing out the reason some folks think Rudolph should have been suspended

On PTI Michael Wilbon refused to say whether Garrett was lying about the alleged racial slur.

Tony Kornheiser (who contends if Rudolph had said that it would have leaked before today) then knew how to push Wilbon’s buttons and asked what if, hypothetically, it would have been a black QB that directed that racial slur at Garrett. Wilbon, who said last week Rudolph should have been suspended and hinted at an improper motive for that not happening, replied that it would not be a slur if a black QB directed that word at Garrett then showed his cards by adding if it had been a black QB who tangled with Garrett last week that QB would have been suspended.

So now the Rudolph-Garrett story has landed at its destination to be about More Than The Game and a chance for everyone with an ax to grind to join the fun

Roger and his pals in the league office no doubt thrilled Garrett has poured gasoline on a fire that was dying out

Steeler-in-west
11-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Hope this all makes Rudolph play better....

Butch
11-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Hope this all makes Rudolph play better....
I hope this makes the Steelers play better

Butch
11-21-2019, 05:59 PM

If this were even remotely the truth there is no way the Browns would have issued a public apology to Mason. I call B.S.

AtlantaDan
11-21-2019, 06:17 PM

I only said it because I was told my accusation would never go public to be rebutted.

Nice ghostwriting by his agent

Pro athletes having to deal with anything other than Xs and Os when they are outside the protective bubble of the organization can get painful when they do not know how they can lose control of what they say

If I am Rudolph's agent/attorney I tell Garrett you retract the slur or you are getting your ass sued for defamation.

AV spells out how Garrett has damaged Rudolph with this allegation - “If (Garrett) would’ve come off the field and even said it to his teammates that (Rudolph) said that, he would’ve gained a lot of support all around,” Villanueva said. “It is the No. 1 rule. When you are a non-African American and use that, you are burning bridges."

pczach
11-21-2019, 09:08 PM
At least this is flushing out the reason some folks think Rudolph should have been suspended

On PTI Michael Wilbon refused to say whether Garrett was lying about the alleged racial slur.

Tony Kornheiser (who contends if Rudolph had said that it would have leaked before today) then knew how to push Wilbon’s buttons and asked what if, hypothetically, it would have been a black QB that directed that racial slur at Garrett. Wilbon, who said last week Rudolph should have been suspended and hinted at an improper motive for that not happening, replied that it would not be a slur if a black QB directed that word at Garrett then showed his cards by adding if it had been a black QB who tangled with Garrett last week that QB would have been suspended.

So now the Rudolph-Garrett story has landed at its destination to be about More Than The Game and a chance for everyone with an ax to grind to join the fun

Roger and his pals in the league office no doubt thrilled Garrett has poured gasoline on a fire that was dying out

How dare Rudolph have his head in an area where Garrett was tempted to hit him on his melon with the helmet HE took off of his head! Rudolph needs to knock that shit off. That...is completely unacceptable!

Garrett plays Whack a Mole featuring Rudolph's head with a contrived racial excuse that surfaces days after the event. I'm not buying it. Everything about this claim feels fraudulent.

If there was any evidence at all that Rudolph did say something, it would have surfaced and he would deserve any punishment that came his way. There is no place for that crap anywhere, anytime, or by anyone. For the NFL to totally dismiss it after looking into it means that not a single person heard anything at all to back up what Garrett is saying. You know Garrett would be saying things during the act that would at least tell everyone that something like that may have happened. For nobody to hear anything from Garrett that would at least make them believe that something was said is damning IMO.

The sad part about Garrett making this claim is that some people will believe it and it will cause more unrest and hatred to fester. The other thing is that when people play the race card when it is a complete fabrication, it could potentially lessen the impact of real claims because it puts more doubt in people's minds on the motives of the accusations....which is a shame. What should be seen as a truly disgusting act by a racist coward could get diminished because some desperate scumbag makes a false claim in an attempt to save his ass from his own despicable actions to avoid punishment and to justify said act.

Garrett's actions and false claims don't help anyone in any way.

teegre
11-21-2019, 09:24 PM
In the “made for tv” movie, Myles Garrett will be played by Jussie Smollett.

Shoes
11-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Garrett is a dirtbag. NFL football is really losing its luster with me more and more every year. The sports news is sounding just like cable news and who in the hell wants to listen to that. People have a way of abusing words. After 911, everyone was a “hero”. If you were in the military it was and is “thank you for your service” I don’t know how many calls I got from people me trying to sell me something by first saying “thank you for your service”. I tell them save your breath, I don’t need thanked for something I decided to do and besides that I’m not buying what your selling. And the racial thing has been used to death by everything that has breath and is as dry as last years birds nest. I think I'm getting old. :chuckle:

pczach
11-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Garrett is a dirtbag. NFL football is really losing its luster with me more and more every year. The sports news is sounding just like cable news and who in the hell wants to listen to that. People have a way of abusing words. After 911, everyone was a “hero”. If you were in the military it was and is “thank you for your service” I don’t know how many calls I got from people me trying to sell me something by first saying “thank you for your service”. I tell them save your breath, I don’t need thanked for something I decided to do and besides that I’m not buying what your selling. And the racial thing has been used to death by everything that has breath and is as dry as last years birds nest. I think I'm getting old. :chuckle:

I still remember that sick feeling I got when I heard what Richie Incognito was doing to another player, and thinking about why others were allowing it to happen. People that back up these pricks when they do unspeakable things are almost as bad as the perps themselves. Bad behavior needs to be called out and bad people need to be admonished for their actions. Enabling scumbags by standing behind them when they cross the line is plain wrong. Other players need to make them own up to shit and stop protecting them.

I know it's difficult in football when everything about the sport screams "unity". They're drilled with that concept from day one, and locker rooms can get divided very quickly. I understand that. But all this bravado and posturing by these guys, yet so many don't have the guts to do or say what's right.

86WARD
11-22-2019, 07:28 AM

I only said it because I was told my accusation would never go public to be rebutted.

Nice ghostwriting by his agent

Pro athletes having to deal with anything other than Xs and Os when they are outside the protective bubble of the organization can get painful when they do not know how they can lose control of what they say

If I am Rudolph's agent/attorney I tell Garrett you retract the slur or you are getting your ass sued for defamation.

AV spells out how Garrett has damaged Rudolph with this allegation - “If (Garrett) would’ve come off the field and even said it to his teammates that (Rudolph) said that, he would’ve gained a lot of support all around,” Villanueva said. “It is the No. 1 rule. When you are a non-African American and use that, you are burning bridges."

I also don’t want a lawsuit from Rudolph so I needed to post this vague explanation of what I thought I heard come out of Rudolph’s mouth.

DesertSteel
11-22-2019, 07:35 AM
I also don’t want a lawsuit from Rudolph so I needed to post this vague explanation of what I thought I heard come out of Rudolph’s mouth.
He didn’t say what he “thought” he heard, but what “I know I heard.” He needs sued and frankly the assault charges picked back up.