PDA

View Full Version : Are Randy Fichtner And Mason Rudolph On The Same Page?

Shoes
11-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Mentioned this on Friday’s The Terrible Podcast but wanted to share here. One answer, two actually, from this week caught my eye. And not in a good eye.
Mason Rudolph and Randy Fichtner spoke to the media on Thursday. And though they were seemingly referencing different plays, their answers pointed to a philosophical divide that should raise eyebrows.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/11/are-randy-fichtner-and-mason-rudolph-on-the-same-page/

Craic
11-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Sorry, Alex,

I think you missed it on this one. You have to remember context. The INT was deeper in our own territory. The safer play is the better play. Fichtner was speaking about being in the Redzone. The entire mentality changes in the redzone. As he said, the field is much shorter. I mean, there are 22 bodies all compacted into 20 or 30 yards, the slowest of which runs forty yards in under six seconds. There, your QB has to be more aggressive or the ball will never move.

Can't forget context of the play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2019, 02:50 PM
I agree with Kozora. The INT that JuJu dropped, is the same as Rudolphs first pass of the game. NFL throw, tight window and he put it where it needed to be. Fichtner seemingly is preaching to check it down to the TE in the left flat that would not get the yardage. The kind of mindset could be contributing to what many fans see as captain check down. Sure its in the Steelers side of the field, but if you want an NFL QB, let him make NFL throws, especially when its the same throw he made on the first pass of the game.

Now, in the red zone Fichtner is advocating that an inexperienced 2nd year QB be more aggressive with the football? He wants him to try and throw TD's and take more risk, rather than trying to check down, throw it away and still at least come away with 3 points instead of an INT?? I mean, sure if the first and second read are there, then push the ball and try to score the TD, but if they are not I would be wanting him to throw it away, not take a sack and at least get some points from Boz.

I'm beginning to think the worst coordinator on the Steelers staff is not Danny Smith, its Randy Fichtner now pulling ahead of him.

Craic
11-09-2019, 03:43 PM
I agree with Kozora. The INT that JuJu dropped, is the same as Rudolphs first pass of the game. NFL throw, tight window and he put it where it needed to be. Fichtner seemingly is preaching to check it down to the TE in the left flat that would not get the yardage. The kind of mindset could be contributing to what many fans see as captain check down. Sure its in the Steelers side of the field, but if you want an NFL QB, let him make NFL throws, especially when its the same throw he made on the first pass of the game.

Now, in the red zone Fichtner is advocating that an inexperienced 2nd year QB be more aggressive with the football? He wants him to try and throw TD's and take more risk, rather than trying to check down, throw it away and still at least come away with 3 points instead of an INT?? I mean, sure if the first and second read are there, then push the ball and try to score the TD, but if they are not I would be wanting him to throw it away, not take a sack and at least get some points from Boz.

I'm beginning to think the worst coordinator on the Steelers staff is not Danny Smith, its Randy Fichtner now pulling ahead of him.

But, that's assuming Rudolph is taking more than just the first read. Perhaps, Fichtner is saying he wants his QB to continue his reads. Be more aggressive in looking for that pass rather than just tossing it away. Or, perhaps, he's saying Rudoph isn't making decisions fast enough and throwing players open or throwing when players are open. Many here have said he hesitates too much. That might be what is meant here as well.

I'm not saying you're not right. I'm just reacting to the overall narrative on this board that every coach with black and gold on their sleeves is horrible, and then making player and coach comments fit the narrative.

Mojouw
11-09-2019, 04:14 PM
You all are talking like this is 1987 or something. Rudolph there almost 1500 passes as a 3 year starter for over 14,000 yards. He has played a great deal of snaps in a fairly modern offense. If he still looks this bad after a year on the bench and starting a handful of games, it likely represents a fundamental problem.

I cant think of a recent QB aside from Goff who has made the kind of improvement many seem to be imagining from Mason. Guys used to need years to learn how to play QB after playing in some Stone Age college system. THat just isn’t the case anymore.

I really hope i am wrong and cant wait to be proven so, but Rudolph looks like a career mediocre back-up at best.

Shoes
11-09-2019, 04:19 PM
So why weren't so many here critical against R1 picks the Steelers drafted after the first 6 or 7 games they started?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2019, 04:46 PM
But, that's assuming Rudolph is taking more than just the first read. Perhaps, Fichtner is saying he wants his QB to continue his reads. Be more aggressive in looking for that pass rather than just tossing it away. Or, perhaps, he's saying Rudoph isn't making decisions fast enough and throwing players open or throwing when players are open. Many here have said he hesitates too much. That might be what is meant here as well.

I'm not saying you're not right. I'm just reacting to the overall narrative on this board that every coach with black and gold on their sleeves is horrible, and then making player and coach comments fit the narrative.

The comments in that article by Fichtner seem to be "limiting" commenting where Rudolph isn't and what he can't or shouldn't do...rather than "encouraging" or enabling Rudolph to make progress and growth. He is just commenting on what a veteran HOF QB like Ben can do and comparing him to Rudolph and what he cant do right now. Its like John Elway telling the Denver media what Peyton Manning could do as the Broncos QB and that Brandon Allen or Drew Lock aren't going to do that. Not sure if its more of a dumb coaching move or a douchebag move by Fichter, but its not a good one.

Just talk about Ben [Roethlisberger]. You know, Ben’s been down that road so many times. There isn’t any consequence he’s afraid to stand up here in front of you, and the fans, and his owner, and his head coach, me, and say, “hey, my fault.” So, Mason’s got to get to that point where maybe the easy throw was to throw it short, maybe we broke a tackle and scored, nice job, but boy, it was coming open behind him and just anticipate that a little bit and be able to make that throw

Craic
11-10-2019, 12:56 AM
The comments in that article by Fichtner seem to be "limiting" commenting where Rudolph isn't and what he can't or shouldn't do...rather than "encouraging" or enabling Rudolph to make progress and growth. He is just commenting on what a veteran HOF QB like Ben can do and comparing him to Rudolph and what he cant do right now. Its like John Elway telling the Denver media what Peyton Manning could do as the Broncos QB and that Brandon Allen or Drew Lock aren't going to do that. Not sure if its more of a dumb coaching move or a douchebag move by Fichter, but its not a good one.

Just talk about Ben [Roethlisberger]. You know, Ben’s been down that road so many times. There isn’t any consequence he’s afraid to stand up here in front of you, and the fans, and his owner, and his head coach, me, and say, “hey, my fault.” So, Mason’s got to get to that point where maybe the easy throw was to throw it short, maybe we broke a tackle and scored, nice job, but boy, it was coming open behind him and just anticipate that a little bit and be able to make that throw

Well, this quote does solve a couple of other questions. No, it isn't Fichtner who is limiting Mason. He wants the downfield throws rather than throwing it short. Seems that's all on Mason, then. I don't see this as limiting either. Simply, we know where's he's at, and here's where he has to get.

Of course, we could always see if we could get Arians to come back as a QB coach :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2019, 01:03 AM
Well, this quote does solve a couple of other questions. No, it isn't Fichtner who is limiting Mason. He wants the downfield throws rather than throwing it short. Seems that's all on Mason, then. I don't see this as limiting either. Simply, we know where's he's at, and here's where he has to get.

Of course, we could always see if we could get Arians to come back as a QB coach :chuckle:

Yeah, everybody in a new job loves it when their direct report keeps talking about what the last guy in the job did so well and says that you aren't able to do that.

Honestly, I never liked Arians lack of FB, run game and habits of throwing bubble screens on 3rd down and short....but his belief in the phrase " no risk it, no biscuit" is something I agree with. He at least tries to empower his QB's, while Fichtner appears to try and let them know why they don't measure up to hall of fame predecessors.

Shoes
11-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Downfield throws must be something new with Fichtner.

Most passes thrown under 10 yards, last three years (reg season)

1. Eli 1125
2. Brees 1120
3. Cousins 1090
4. Stafford 1072
5. Roethlisberger 1031
6. Carr 1024
6. Flacco 1024
8. Ryan 991
9. Brady 935
10. Rivers 915

pczach
11-10-2019, 06:59 AM

I don't like the way Fichtner worded this quote either. I know the conversations with Rudolph are much deeper and involved than this, but I agree that Fichtner should be doing more encouraging with his comments and he should have defended him more. Something like: Mason is doing a lot of good things out there. We're working with him and encouraging him to be more aggressive and to push the ball down the field more....and that will come in time. He's progressing and he has been helping us win games. He has had the luxury of watching Ben play, and talking to him about situational throws and how to approach the game. We think Mason is doing great, and he will continue to get better.

I don't think he had to be so specific about a couple throws and be pointed about it....particularly about accepting blame. That was a time to say that everyone needs to help Mason more when they get the opportunities out there, and that Mason knows he needs to do better in certain situations and he's working on that.

I try not to get too worked up about a couple sentences, but again, I think Fichtner could have handled it differently.

AtlantaDan
11-10-2019, 10:02 AM
I don't like the way Fichtner worded this quote either. I know the conversations with Rudolph are much deeper and involved than this, but I agree that Fichtner should be doing more encouraging with his comments and he should have defended him more. Something like: Mason is doing a lot of good things out there. We're working with him and encouraging him to be more aggressive and to push the ball down the field more....and that will come in time. He's progressing and he has been helping us win games. He has had the luxury of watching Ben play, and talking to him about situational throws and how to approach the game. We think Mason is doing great, and he will continue to get better.

I don't think he had to be so specific about a couple throws and be pointed about it....particularly about accepting blame. That was a time to say that everyone needs to help Mason more when they get the opportunities out there, and that Mason knows he needs to do better in certain situations and he's working on that.

I try not to get too worked up about a couple sentences, but again, I think Fichtner could have handled it differently.

Fichtner now is able to say a discouraging word about the starting QB after not being able to do it when it concerned the guy who got him hired as Ben’s OC/valet.

It may not reflect well on Fichtner but he has been doing it since Mason’s first start in the 49ers game while, in the quote in bold face above, still sucking up to his master by letting us all know how wonderful Ben is about everything.