PDA

View Full Version : Colts @ Steelers Game balls & goats

GoSlash27
11-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Who yinz got?

I have to tip my hat to Mason Rudolph. He's proven his worth as a starting QB.
Goats are the refs. Some seriously crappy calls today.

Shoes
11-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Game Ball Boz

tube517
11-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Boz, Minkah, Dupree

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Edman
11-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Mason. Samuels. Minkah Fitzpatrick. Chris Boswell. Adam Vinatieri.

Definite goat to Randy Fichtner.

A team saved from themselves over a good Colts team.

Neversatisfied
11-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Boz and Fitzpatrick

steelreserve
11-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Game ball to Fitzpatrick and Ray Finkle.

Goat to pass interference.

On our last drive with about 4 minutes to go, I literally said, "Watch, we are going to go three and out, then hold on defense but get a bullshit penalty on third and long, and lose on a field goal right at the end of the game, and Epstein didn't kill himself."

Fire Goodell
11-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Fitzpatrick and TJ Watt

fansince'76
11-03-2019, 03:15 PM
I thought the new PI rule was supposed to eliminate the "Moonball Joe" BS?

Game balls to Fitzpatrick and Watt.

RunNGun
11-03-2019, 03:18 PM
The hole defense gets a game ball. One of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed. Tired of the training wheels being held on Rudolph.

Goats...the o-lines run blocking and Juju. Juju had the 1 drop that was intercepted and he was pretty quiet all day. Obviously Fichtner.

Fire Goodell
11-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Yeah that definitely was a dong penalty

st33lersguy
11-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Game Ball: TJ Watt, he's a beast. Rest of the pass rush, 5 sacks on a top flight o-line. Minkah Fitzpatrick, they don't win were it not for his INT. Bos, has had a great bounce back year

Goat: Fichtner, wtf kind of sissyboy playcalling was that? That was absolutely pathetic. They won despite his warped idea of what offense is. Goodell's refs, seriously, that was NOT pass interference, learn the rules of the game NFL refs! NFL officiating continues to hit new lows week after week. It makes for a god awful product

stillers4me
11-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Football gods 1
Al Riveron 0

Game ball to the Football Gods.

HollywoodSteel
11-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Football gods 1
Al Riveron 0

Up until now I thought they were on the same team.

Steeldude
11-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Watt, Fitzpatrick, Boswell

Heyward(for injuring Brissett..haha), OC

steelreserve
11-03-2019, 03:27 PM
I thought the new PI rule was supposed to eliminate the "Moonball Joe" BS?

Game balls to Fitzpatrick and Watt.

IIRC, the rule was put in because of a PI no-call, so the intention was to have MORE Moonball Joe penalties.

HollywoodSteel
11-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Our first Dong win against a winning team!

Gotta love Minkah, Watt, and yes King Dong himself... c’mon, let’s acknowledge the game and season Bud Dupree is having.

And Mason is no Big Ben yet, but he is making progress quickly. He did his job well today.

I’m usually not the guy to overly blame the coaching, but come on... Fichtner did everything he could to give that game away. For the first time I’m honestly worried that he is the weakest link and could end up being the difference between in any given game.

We simply aren’t good enough to overcome the refs AND our own OC without a HOF QB

NCSteeler
11-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Game ball to samuels who balled out minkah and Dupree

Goat. Fitchner you have got to scheme your guys open. You can't just call the same play for four quarters a d shit the bed when the other team figures it out

And of course the refs suck ass. I'd almost prefer they kill replay. That way you wouldn't get your hopes up thinking NY will do right.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
11-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Watt, Fitzpatrick, Boswell

Heyward(for injuring Brissett..haha), OC

And... c’mon... you can say it... it won’t hurt...

Bud... something or other...

:)

Born2Steel
11-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Gameballs. Defense played well enough to allow a sputtering offense to do just enough. Steelers Def 14-Steelers Off 12.

No Goats with steelers win.

GoSlash27
11-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Honorable mention to Adam Vinateiri. :D

I'm looking forward to this week's 'Dong Report'.

Craic
11-03-2019, 04:04 PM
New Game Balls: I'm going to go ahead and give one to Tre Edmunds. Sure, he only hit one long run and ran about 2.5 yards a carry thereafter, but he looked better than Snell. I'd be good with Edmunds as our 3rd RB at this point.

Also, although he didn't make all that many catches, perhaps Washington as well. He came up big on a couple of players and seems to be taking the step we want out of him.

Fichtner (for most of the game). Had a pretty good game plan. As soon as the defense adjusted to it, he adjusted and had Rudolph push the ball downfield more.

Then, there's the same old cast: Minkah, Watt, Heyward, you can almost throw a dart and whoever you hit on defense, nominate them. Gotta give one to Boz as well.

Goats:

Fichtner: last 4 minutes. Really? The run game didn't work that well the entire game. At the most, send everyone deep and then look for the dump off. If that's covered, with everyone deep, you can let your QB run five yards and slide. Clock keeps rolling and you gain a few years.

Outside of that, no one. I thought both challenges were good challenges. Can't blame Tomlin for those. Not sure what passing interference is anymore. I thought if you were looking back for the ball and got tangled up with the receiver, it was a no call. I also thought uncatchable balls were no calls either. On the other side, isn't an arm extension pretty much the classic definition of offensive PI? And, to show this isn't one sided. What the heck was that penalty on the Colts on the kick?

AtlantaDan
11-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Game balls - Boz, Dupree, Watt, Fitzpatrick

Goats - Fichtner, whoever on the Steelers sidelines was responsible for seeing Nelson blew out his shoe when he had to play pass defense with one shoe (fortunately Hoyer did not) along with finding him a new one, and the atrocious officiating.

Steelers came out in the opening series with what looked like an actual vertical passing offense until the INT off JuJu's hands and threw down the field after falling behind in the 4th quarter until they reverted to turtle mode on first and goal. Other than that all that was missing from the September "don't lose the game Mason" offensive game plan was the wildcat.

Pass chart against Dolphins
https://charts-cdn-c.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/300/pass-chart_RUD321216_2019-reg-8_1572320193982.jpeg

Pass chart against Colts
https://charts-cdn-b.nextgenstats.nfl.com/static-charts/300/pass-chart_RUD321216_2019-reg-9_1572817554085.jpeg

Iron Steeler
11-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Goats- The inconsistent challenging PI circus.
Goats- Saints cry baby franchise that has created this mess.

Heroes- Boz and Defense

teegre
11-03-2019, 04:27 PM
Football gods 1
Al Riveron 0

This WINS!!! ...for Post of the Day.

Mojouw
11-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Minkah and Watt and Samuels.

Refs and field goals that should've been TDs.

Butch
11-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Heros - Watt, Minka, Dupree, Heyward, Special Teams (forced a turnover when we needed it, Dong blocked an extra point)

Goats - NFL officials once again. Both ways

AtlantaDan
11-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Minkah and Watt and Samuels.

Refs and field goals that should've been TDs.

I was going to include Samuels but that fumble hurt

teegre
11-03-2019, 04:34 PM
And... c’mon... you can say it... it won’t hurt...

Bud... something or other...

:)

...runner up!!! :applaudit:

HollywoodSteel
11-03-2019, 04:38 PM
I was going to include Samuels but that fumble hurt

I know. But maybe one thing we need to remember is that Samuels did score a TD in this game that was called incorrectly. And Tomlin didn’t challenge a call he would have actually won.

So many bad calls and bad decisions and unlucky bounces in that game, I still can’t believe we won.

DesertSteel
11-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Game ball to the Colts holder who forgot to turn the laces.

Butch
11-03-2019, 04:41 PM
I know. But maybe one thing we need to remember is that Samuels did score a TD in this game that was called incorrectly. And Tomlin didn’t challenge a call he would have actually won.

So many bad calls and bad decisions and unlucky bounces in that game, I still can’t believe we won.

I am not so sure about that this is the same officiating crew that screwed up the PI call to keep the colts in the game.

teegre
11-03-2019, 04:45 PM

True. I do not blame Tomlin for not challenging that, because the refs could have easily said that a wee, small portion of Samuel's leg was on the ground.

If Trey Edmunds goes left on that next play, he WALKS in for an easy TD. Instead, he goes straight ahead and gets stuffed.

SUMMATION:
Vision is huge asset for a RB. And, you know, following your lead blocker.

86WARD
11-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Game Balls - Minkah, Dupree, Boswell, Samuels.

Goats - Fichtner is a big one, Offensive Line is a big one, Rudolph is a little one...this guy needs to strap on his red nose and start flying.

DesertSteel
11-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Sure wish we had that first round pick instead of Minkah.

Not.

- - - Updated - - -

Goats - Fichtner is a big one
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that Fichtner goes into the locker room after a win like today feeling like Bill Belchick. He thinks he outsmarted the world with that conservative game plan. I literally feel like puncturing my eyeballs watching that stuff.

Mojouw
11-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Steelers build a pass focused offense to maximize their HOF QB and "star talent" and everyone moans about moving away from "Steeler Football" and how a heavy dose of the run game is surely a cure all.

Now the team trots out a run and screen heavy gameplan to mask their injuries and the QBs inability to challenge defenses vertically in the NFL. Guess what? Everyone still moans.

Almost like running the ball without an aggressive and proficient passing offense is both pointless and typically wildly ineffective.

No one saw that coming. No one.

Craic
11-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Sure wish we had that first round pick instead of Minkah.

Not.

It was a risk. I'm still not sure I would have taken it. Hindsight is too much of a benefit in decisions such as these. Go back to that moment in time. We have two big issues. One is needing a game-changing defensive player, the other is needing a franchise QB because ours just went down and at his age, it may or may not be the end of his career. We're already in the hole with our record, and now we're about to bring out our unproven 2nd years QB to dig ourselves out.

In that scenario, I would say the safer bet is to keep the first round pick. The QB has a much larger affect on a football game than a safety. So, keep the first round pick. The higher it is the better, and it looks to be pretty high at this point of the season (game... 2? Can't remember exactly). Even if there isn't a QB that we want. We can trade out and pick up next year's first round pick. That gives us to first round picks to pair and move even higher if we need to do so. Because, again, Franchise QBs are more important than very good safeties.

Now, did Mike's gamble pay off with that trade? Maybe so. We're climbing back up the standings so we're not losing nearly the value in that first round pick that we thought we might have in the first few weeks. I'm almost happy at this point that he took it. But, let's not let hindsight cloud the context of the deal.

Mojouw
11-03-2019, 05:25 PM
The MF trade was always a good gamble.

MF is a better FS than anyone on the roster or in the 2020 draft.

The QBs available around pick 5-10 in this draft look "not impressive" to " I guess, we need to draft someone".

Ben is starting 2020 Week 1. A FS helps that team more than a QB.

IF Ben is toast AND Rudoplph stinks, it's going to be 2021 draft until they're ready to pluck a replacement.

This trade is good as long as MF plays well.

GoSlash27
11-03-2019, 05:36 PM
HAHAHA an idiot reporter at the Colts' presser actually questioned Frank Reich's decision to kick the 3 to win the game.
:brick:

AtlantaDan
11-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Steelers build a pass focused offense to maximize their HOF QB and "star talent" and everyone moans about moving away from "Steeler Football" and how a heavy dose of the run game is surely a cure all.

Now the team trots out a run and screen heavy gameplan to mask their injuries and the QBs inability to challenge defenses vertically in the NFL. Guess what? Everyone still moans.

Almost like running the ball without an aggressive and proficient passing offense is both pointless and typically wildly ineffective.

If they have concluded after 5 starts that Rudolph cannot challenge defenses vertically then however their record ends up the season is a partial success since they know Rudolph is not the successor to Ben. In that case they do not have to worry about locking him into a long term deal before the last year of his rookie contract since Ben and Rudolph probably will both be leaving the Steelers no later than after the 2021.season

I am not certain that is where they are at. Steelers problem is they do not want the rest of the roster to be told this season is a lab experiment to find out what Rudolph can do and are trying to salvage this season by implementing a minimal risk offense. Great to know Tomlin may preserve his record of never having a losing season with a long shot at making the playoffs

But assuming their goals are higher than franchises like the Bills, even if they have decided Rudolph is not the guy by running this offense they also will not know if JuJu is worth what he is demanding going into the last year of his contract in 2020.

Today’s game was entertaining and I am always glad when they win. But in terms of achieving long term goals this offense is like investing for retirement by placing all your money in a low interest savings account - very low risk and unlikely to be something to build on to reach those goals.

Mojouw
11-03-2019, 05:44 PM
If they have concluded after 5 starts that Rudolph cannot challenge defenses vertically then however their record ends up the season is a partial success since they know Rudolph is not the successor to Ben. In that case they do not have to worry about locking him into a long term deal before the last year of his rookie contract since Ben and Rudolph probably will both be leaving the Steelers no later than after the 2021.season

I am not certain that is where they are at. Steelers problem is they do not want the rest of the roster to be told this season is a lab experiment to find out what Rudolph can do and are trying to salvage this season by implementing a minimal risk offense. Great to know Tomlin may preserve his record of never having a losing season with a long shot at making the playoffs

But assuming their goals are higher than franchises like the Bills, even if they have decided Rudolph is not the guy by running this offense they also will not know if JuJu is worth what he is demanding going into the last year of his contract in 2020.

Today’s game was entertaining and I am always glad when they win. But in terms of achieving long term goals this offense is like investing for retirement by placing all your money in a low interest savings account - very low risk and unlikely to be something to build on to achieve long term goals.

That's assuming the results we see on TV are sourced to the play call. Almost everything I've seen and read in the past 12 days argues that bigger plays are being schemed up and are there for the taking but Rudolph can't or won't pull the trigger.

Was that the case today? No idea yet.

AtlantaDan
11-03-2019, 05:58 PM
That's assuming the results we see on TV are sourced to the play call. Almost everything I've seen and read in the past 12 days argues that bigger plays are being schemed up and are there for the taking but Rudolph can't or won't pull the trigger.

Was that the case today? No idea yet.

Fichtner, who IMO has the Arians gene for blame shifting, may give his side as he did earlier in the season if he catches blame again for the play calling. And he has the perfect QB for that in Rudolph, who Fouts said during the broadcast takes the blame for every unsuccessful play whether it is his fault or not.

A few weeks ago the OL went public with their position Fichtner needed to let Rudolph do more. Rudolph is not going to say that so I will be interested if we hear from AV and Foster again.

On to the Rams :thumbsup: :drink:

NCSteeler
11-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Was that the case today? No idea yet.Best I could tell he looked hesitant and often looked like he pulled it down off his first read. Now is that receivers not getting open or him just not feeling it and wanting to be safe.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
11-03-2019, 06:11 PM
It was a risk. I'm still not sure I would have taken it. Hindsight is too much of a benefit in decisions such as these. Go back to that moment in time. We have two big issues. One is needing a game-changing defensive player, the other is needing a franchise QB because ours just went down and at his age, it may or may not be the end of his career. We're already in the hole with our record, and now we're about to bring out our unproven 2nd years QB to dig ourselves out.

In that scenario, I would say the safer bet is to keep the first round pick. The QB has a much larger affect on a football game than a safety. So, keep the first round pick. The higher it is the better, and it looks to be pretty high at this point of the season (game... 2? Can't remember exactly). Even if there isn't a QB that we want. We can trade out and pick up next year's first round pick. That gives us to first round picks to pair and move even higher if we need to do so. Because, again, Franchise QBs are more important than very good safeties.

Now, did Mike's gamble pay off with that trade? Maybe so. We're climbing back up the standings so we're not losing nearly the value in that first round pick that we thought we might have in the first few weeks. I'm almost happy at this point that he took it. But, let's not let hindsight cloud the context of the deal.
I was 110% happy about it when the deal was made and I'm 110% happy about it now. How's that hindsight by any definition? You're overthinking it. Minkah was the 11th pick last year and played great as a rookie. Where's the guesswork? All the guesswork was in the pick, not the player.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Best I could tell he looked hesitant and often looked like he pulled it down off his first read. Now is that receivers not getting open or him just not feeling it and wanting to be safe.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk Combination of both, Fichnter's play calling is safe but when Rudy is allowed to look down field he is to hesitant. Also doesn't help when Fichtner calls 2 run plays and leaves Rudolph 3rd and 8 to pass.

Devilsdancefloor
11-03-2019, 06:47 PM
hero : fitzpatrick, watt

Goat: 4 minute offense

BlackAndGold
11-03-2019, 06:49 PM
Dupree needs praise also. 2 sacks.

Born2Steel
11-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Dupree's strip sack with fumble recovery lead to the winning TD. Bud definitely gets a gameball today. The entire defense played well and Butler dialed in when he needed to. Great defensive gameplan IMO.

Steeler-in-west
11-03-2019, 07:26 PM

They should open up the playbook and have Rudolph throw downfield. We’re not going anywhere with this conservative game plan so might as well open it up and see what Rudolph has. He only thrown a few downfield passes with partial success, some overthrows, but nothing terrible.

DesertSteel
11-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Goat: Dan Fouts. He is completely incompetent not to mention half-blind. Please let him retire.

pczach
11-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Goat: Dan Fouts. He is completely incompetent not to mention half-blind. Please let him retire.

Couldn't agree more. He is constantly making definitive statements about things on the field, then is proven to be 100% wrong when the video is shown.

He is very hard to listen to.

teegre
11-03-2019, 08:12 PM
We all agree on the game balls.

Here are a few goats:

JuJu: That INT went right off of both hands. Then, on that 4th-&-2, he has momentum, but tries to cut it back... which allows the DE to stop him for no gain. You needed 2 yards, JuJu!!!... keep running forward!!!

Mark Barron: Every time he was on the field, I cringe. He blew coverage on one TD, leaving his man uncovered. The announcers said it was Minkah, but just because Minkah was the “closest” Steeler doesn’t mean it was his responsibility. That said, it was Barron’s “best” game (which is sad, considering he allowed a gimme TD).

The refs: Duh. As bad as the PI call on Nelson was, the personal foul (on the Colts) on the punt was equally as awful.

Switzer / special teams: The opponents routinely return it to the 35, while we seem to barely get past the 15. Thankfully, Switzer made up for it by getting hurt.

Epstein: Didn’t kill himself.

Fichtner: That turtling with four minutes left would have made Cowher proud. Except, Cowher has The Bus (to kill the clock).

86WARD
11-03-2019, 08:17 PM
We all agree on the game balls.

Here are a few goats:

JuJu: That INT went right off of both hands. Then, on that 4th-&-2, he has momentum, but tries to cut it back... which allows the DE to stop him for no gain. You needed 2 yards, JuJu!!!... keep running forward!!!

Mark Barron: Every time he was on the field, I cringe. He blew coverage on one TD, leaving his man uncovered. The announcers said it was Minkah, but just because Minkah was the “closest” Steeler doesn’t mean it was his responsibility. That said, it was Barron’s “best” game (which is sad, considering he allowed a gimme TD).

The refs: Duh. As bad as the PI call on Nelson was, the personal foul (on the Colts) on the punt was equally as awful.

Switzer / special teams: The opponents routinely return it to the 35, while we seem to barely get past the 15. Thankfully, Switzer made up for it by getting hurt.

Epstein: Didn’t kill himself.

Fichtner: That turtling with four minutes left would have made Cowher proud. Except, Cowher has The Bus (to kill the clock).

Does the return game goat go to Switzer or would it go to special teams blocking scheme? I man how many years have the Steelers been shit for years...is ypthat a coincidence that all these return guys have sucked or is it something bigger?

teegre
11-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Does the return game goat go to Switzer or would it go to special teams blocking scheme? I man how many years have the Steelers been shit for years...is ypthat a coincidence that all these return guys have sucked or is it something bigger?

It’s 90% Danny Smith and 10% Switzer not being able to do the one thing he’s on the team to do.

AB had some good returns (which is why I don’t put all of the blame on Danny Smith).

teegre
11-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Dupree's strip sack with fumble recovery lead to the winning TD. Bud definitely gets a gameball today. The entire defense played well and Butler dialed in when he needed to. Great defensive gameplan IMO.

Bust Dongpree 2018 (16 games):
5.5 sacks
13 QB hits
1 Forced Fumble

Bust Dongpree 2019 (8 games):
6.0 sacks
9 QB hits
2 Forced

Craic
11-03-2019, 09:31 PM
5.5 sacks
13 QB hits
1 Forced Fumble

6.0 sacks
9 QB hits
2 Forced

So, now the question is . . . is this (A) Contract-year Dupree whom we'll not see again? (B) New-Scheme Dupree who will show up every season now? or (C) Finally Healed Dupree, whom we would have to worry about getting injured again?

Of the three, the first one concerns me the most. If the front office knows he's been playing through injuries and now we're finally seeing what he can do along with being schemed properly, then I'm okay with him sticking around. However, if B and C are both true, then I'm not so sure I want him next year.

Lamberts_Lunatic
11-03-2019, 10:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this week's 'Dong Report'.

HERE HERE!!!

86WARD
11-04-2019, 03:41 AM
It’s 90% Danny Smith and 10% Switzer not being able to do the one thing he’s on the team to do.

AB had some good returns (which is why I don’t put all of the blame on Danny Smith).

Did AB return kicks past his first couple seasons? I can’t recall him doing it but maybe?

I was only referring to kickoff returns...they have been horrendous...I can’t remember the last guy to return a kickoff for a TD (Antwan Randle El)?

teegre
11-04-2019, 06:44 AM
Did AB return kicks past his first couple seasons? I can’t recall him doing it but maybe?

I was only referring to kickoff returns...they have been horrendous...I can’t remember the last guy to return a kickoff for a TD (Antwan Randle El)?

AB’s first touch as an NFL player was a kickoff return for a TD.

AtlantaDan
11-04-2019, 06:45 AM
So, now the question is . . . is this (A) Contract-year Dupree whom we'll not see again? (B) New-Scheme Dupree who will show up every season now? or (C) Finally Healed Dupree, whom we would have to worry about getting injured again?

Of the three, the first one concerns me the most. If the front office knows he's been playing through injuries and now we're finally seeing what he can do along with being schemed properly, then I'm okay with him sticking around. However, if B and C are both true, then I'm not so sure I want him next year.

If Dupree would have been playing like this last season Steelers would have had a decision to make whether to lock him up with a new contract in 2019 before he could hit free agency in 2020

But edge rushers are a prized commodity and some other team with cap space to burn will overpay for Dupree while taking the risk he will revert to pre-contract year Dupree

Steelers then will go bottom feeding for an OLB in free agency as they have for ILB the past two seasons with predictably poor results

teegre
11-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Bince was on Twitter saying that Bud has been fighting through injuries for years, and that this is the first time that Bud has been healthy.

That is a double-edged sword.

It’s good, because it means that there is potential there. It’s bad, because it means that he’s injury prone. And, as Bill Parcells used to say: “A player’s most important ability is avail-ability.”

tube517
11-04-2019, 07:13 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Agree, he was playing well and always around the football. I didn't have time to look but think Castonzo was playing opposite him and has been playing well this season. I thought Haden played well also.

the contributions of Nix and Washington go a bit under the radar. Run game is better with Nix and if Edmunds follows him on the goal line handoff, he walks into the end zone behind Nix and DeCastro. Washington made 3 contested catches that kept chains moving on poorly placed throws.

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2019, 10:06 AM
5.5 sacks
13 QB hits
1 Forced Fumble

6.0 sacks
9 QB hits
2 Forced

Let’s not forget how good he’s been in run defense. And quite a few of his big plays were clutch, and really changed momentum of the game.

This is the Bud I really thought he would be this year... of course I thought it last year too.

Yes. I admit it. I am a Bud Dupree apologist!

steel striker
11-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Minka and, the defense Boz, Watt.

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2019, 10:12 AM
HAHAHA an idiot reporter at the Colts' presser actually questioned Frank Reich's decision to kick the 3 to win the game.
:brick:

I don’t understand. As opposed to doing what? It was 4th down, right?

Was it just a silly question meant to get a reaction, or did the reporter actually think the coach made a tactical mistake?

86WARD
11-04-2019, 11:20 AM
AB’s first touch as an NFL player was a kickoff return for a TD.

That was all the way back in 2010 though. I feel like he only did kickoff returns in 2010 and 2011? I think that was the last kickoff return for a TD...??

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Let’s not forget how good he’s been in run defense. And quite a few of his big plays were clutch, and really changed momentum of the game.

This is the Bud I really thought he would be this year... of course I thought it last year too.

Yes. I admit it. I am a Bud Dupree apologist!

OK, but who have they played against with a winning record, other than the Colts with Brian Hoyer? Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers. That is where he is donging up the numbers.

I think you may have helped to coin a new phrase in the world of Steelers Message Boards. Dong-ologist. :thumbsup:

DesertSteel
11-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. He is constantly making definitive statements about things on the field, then is proven to be 100% wrong when the video is shown.

He is very hard to listen to.
But he never even revises his position... just moves on. And honestly, I can't stand even the sound of his voice at this point.

pczach
11-04-2019, 12:26 PM
But he never even revises his position... just moves on. And honestly, I can't stand even the sound of his voice at this point.

I know. He is really horrible.

I'm completely with you on this.

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2019, 12:59 PM
OK, but who have they played against with a winning record, other than the Colts with Brian Hoyer? Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers. That is where he is donging up the numbers.

I think you may have helped to coin a new phrase in the world of Steelers Message Boards. Dong-ologist. :thumbsup:

I love the term Dong-ologist. But that sounds more like an expert in dong-ery. Like the person who puts out the dong report is a dong-ologist. I'm more of a dong-wagon fan. Or a dongophile. Something of that nature.

I realize that that everything the Steelers do this year is of a dong nature, given your specific parameters. That's fine with me. I'm just glad Vinatieri kicked it dong left!

I'll take the dong wins however I can get them. :)

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2019, 02:06 PM
I love the term Dong-ologist. But that sounds more like an expert in dong-ery. Like the person who puts out the dong report is a dong-ologist. I'm more of a dong-wagon fan. Or a dongophile. Something of that nature.

I realize that that everything the Steelers do this year is of a dong nature, given your specific parameters. That's fine with me. I'm just glad Vinatieri kicked it dong left!

I'll take the dong wins however I can get them. :)

I hear ya. Dongologist is like Cap-ologist. Dongophile gets connotations of pedophile or audiophile, so maybe we should avoid that. Dong-wagoner or Dong-a-pologist is probably a better selection.

teegre
11-05-2019, 06:45 AM

:nod:

End of the game
3rd-&-1

If the Colts convert, they can run the clock down to 0 ...and then kick the game-winning FG. Conversely, a stop here might give the Colts a chance to kick the go-ahead FG, but there would be plenty of time for the Steelers to answer back. SUMMATION: This is a huge play.

Dupree responds by stuffing the RB for a loss. Dupree has to come all the way across/behind the LOS to make the play... and he did. That stop was HUGE.

pczach
11-05-2019, 08:11 AM
:nod:

End of the game
3rd-&-1

If the Colts convert, they can run the clock down to 0 ...and then kick the game-winning FG. Conversely, a stop here might give the Colts a chance to kick the go-ahead FG, but there would be plenty of time for the Steelers to answer back. SUMMATION: This is a huge play.

Dupree responds by stuffing the RB for a loss. Dupree has to come all the way across/behind the LOS to make the play... and he did. That stop was HUGE.

Exactly.

ALLD
11-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Game ball goes to Shankatari. He might be the all-time scorer in the NFL, but he is done.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Game ball goes to Shankatari. He might be the all-time scorer in the NFL, but he is done.

Wow, that name just gave me a flashback to Sharknado Thomas, the safety from Syracuse that never did anything but get special teams penalties.

ALLD
11-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Not the first time the Colts missed against the Steelers. I think many of you forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95hSLSsl5x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ55ha-REcw

Fire Goodell
11-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Both of those shanks came after blown calls by the refs, they almost screwed us over calling that Polamalu INT an incomplete pass, which would have iced the game if correctly called.

AtlantaDan
11-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Both of those shanks came after blown calls by the refs, they almost screwed us over calling that Polamalu INT an incomplete pass, which would have iced the game if correctly called.

But they overcame the reversal of the Troy INT then nearly suffered one of the worst last minute losses of all time - doubtful Jerome Bettis would have a restaurant on the North Side if Ben’s tackle and Vanderjagt had not bailed him out

steelreserve
11-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Not the first time the Colts missed against the Steelers. I think many of you forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95hSLSsl5x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ55ha-REcw

People also forget that was the Polamalu "football move" interception game, where we would've had it all but sewn up long ago if the ref was not a fuckface. I saw a sped-up replay of that game a couple months ago, and it still made me mad.

fansince'76
11-05-2019, 08:51 PM
People also forget that was the Polamalu "football move" interception game, where we would've had it all but sewn up long ago if the ref was not a fuckface. I saw a sped-up replay of that game a couple months ago, and it still made me mad.

It's been years, but I vaguely recall the ref announcing after that play something to the effect of "After the interception...pass incomplete." :frusty:

Butch
11-05-2019, 09:25 PM
It's been years, but I vaguely recall the ref announcing after that play something to the effect of "After the interception...pass incomplete." :frusty:

That was also the game where the colts encroached the line and they had to make a call of either false start or offsides and instead they called "Do over" and picked up the flag.

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2019, 10:19 PM
I’m rewatching the condensed version of the game and it’s honestly making me sick. Apart from a few splash plays, they absolutely picked us apart for 3 and a half quarters.

And our offense looked inept most of the time.

Right now we seem to be literally good at NOTHING except kicking field goals and garnering the occasional splash play on defense. Thank Odin for sacks and turnovers.

teegre
11-06-2019, 06:48 AM
I’m rewatching the condensed version of the game and it’s honestly making me sick. Apart from a few splash plays, they absolutely picked us apart for 3 and a half quarters.

It’s the Dick LeBeau / Bill Belichick “bend, but don’t break” defense. If you force the opposing offense to take 15 plays to get to the red-zone, along the way, they’re bound to make a mistake. Neither coach cared about yardage; their defenses were based on making a splash play.

Two games without Minkah:
4 deep passes completed
22 yards per reception
passer rating: 141
3 TDs, 0 INTs

Six games with Minkah:
7 deep passes completed
5 yards per reception
passer rating: 10
0 TDs, 4 INTs

HollywoodSteel
11-06-2019, 11:24 AM
It’s the Dick LeBeau / Bill Belichick “bend, but don’t break” defense. If you force the opposing offense to take 15 plays to get to the red-zone, along the way, they’re bound to make a mistake. Neither coach cared about yardage; their defenses were based on making a splash play.

Two games without Minkah:
4 deep passes completed
22 yards per reception
passer rating: 141
3 TDs, 0 INTs

Six games with Minkah:
7 deep passes completed
5 yards per reception
passer rating: 10
0 TDs, 4 INTs

I think it is very much like the Dick LeBeau bend but don’t break syndrome, except that defense, in like ‘08 didn’t actually break and allow a third string QB to actually get 3 TD passes on us.

And we could absolutely stop the run back then. Now it looks like we’re getting gashed every which way until someone generates a turn over.

Maybe the colts just had the perfect play calls all game long. It was really reminiscent of playing the Patriots every year.

The Colts really did seem like the better overall football team. If I were a Colts fan I wouldn’t believe that the score was reflecting the game I was watching.

And we’ve been talking scenarios where we go into Baltimore and beat the Ravens? Unless major changes happen, like they sustain injuries while we get better at everything we do, we will not only lose, but we’ll get embarrassed.

I’m sorry for being all “sky is falling” but I just know how sick I’ll feel if I have to watch Lamar Jackson pick our defense apart with his ARM.

Mojouw
11-06-2019, 11:40 AM
I think it is very much like the Dick LeBeau bend but don’t break syndrome, except that defense, in like ‘08 didn’t actually break and allow a third string QB to actually get 3 TD passes on us.

And we could absolutely stop the run back then. Now it looks like we’re getting gashed every which way until someone generates a turn over.

Maybe the colts just had the perfect play calls all game long. It was really reminiscent of playing the Patriots every year.

The Colts really did seem like the better overall football team. If I were a Colts fan I wouldn’t believe that the score was reflecting the game I was watching.

And we’ve been talking scenarios where we go into Baltimore and beat the Ravens? Unless major changes happen, like they sustain injuries while we get better at everything we do, we will not only lose, but we’ll get embarrassed.

I’m sorry for being all “sky is falling” but I just know how sick I’ll feel if I have to watch Lamar Jackson pick our defense apart with his ARM.

The offense has to help the defense. Offense has become better at sustaining possessions, so the defenses isn't constantly on the field. But think back to '08 or even earlier in the 2000's. The offense would convert opportunities to TDs. Put the opponent down multiple scores and the defense would really clamp down. The other team would have to go one dimensional and the Steelers would just tee off.

Rewind through the Colts game. Multiple "failed" red zone opportunities to score touchdowns. Edmunds follows DeCastro and that is a TD instead of FG. 17-16 at the half instead of Steelers down 3. Start the 4th with a TD instead of another FG and it is now 31-18 and the game is essentially over early in the 4th quarter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2019, 01:48 PM

IMO, the loss of Tuitt hurts a lot in the run game and pass rush. Heyward is still good, but age is catching up, Hargrave is just good, but not great and Alualu seems like a rotational guy, not a starter. The current lack of talent and depth on the D line definitely hurts when playing against an O line that can run block.

teegre
11-08-2019, 06:54 AM

It wasn’t my intention to match up player-for-player the 2008 defense versus the 2019 defense. That 2008 squad was loaded. That said, the philosophy is the same. Belichick has used it for years.

The problem in the Colts game was that we “broke”. Had Mark Barron not given up a gimme TD, it’s an entirely different game. The other two TDs had similar breakdowns by the defense (which they hadn’t done much this season).

We played Lamar. If not for an unfortunate fumble, we were on our way to beating him.

AtlantaDan
11-08-2019, 08:56 AM
The offense has to help the defense. Offense has become better at sustaining possessions, so the defenses isn't constantly on the field. But think back to '08 or even earlier in the 2000's. The offense would convert opportunities to TDs. Put the opponent down multiple scores and the defense would really clamp down. The other team would have to go one dimensional and the Steelers would just tee off.

Right now it is simply a bad offense with no sustained running game to take the pressure off Mason

Total yardage, Football Outsiders DVOA ratings, and TD red zone scoring efficiency for the offense are brutal

28th total yards per game (290)/27th passing yards per game/26th rushing yards per game
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

28th DVOA total offense
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

28th red zone TD scoring percentage (38%) (FWIW surprised to see the Chiefs down with the bottom feeders for this stat)
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Mojouw
11-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Right now it is simply a bad offense with no sustained running game to take the pressure off Mason

Total yardage, Football Outsiders DVOA ratings, and TD red zone scoring efficiency for the offense are brutal

28th total yards per game (290)/27th passing yards per game/26th rushing yards per game
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

28th DVOA total offense
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

28th red zone TD scoring percentage (38%) (FWIW surprised to see the Chiefs down with the bottom feeders for this stat)
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Not surprised at any of those stats. While I am really glad that the team is winning and playing competitive football week in and week out, I think I can also admit that the 2019 Steelers offense is woefully bad.

Unless the defense gives the offense a short field, they basically don't do too much. That is almost certainly not a sustainable pattern.