View Full Version : Montcrief released by Steelers

stillers4me
11-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Boom.....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 03:12 PM
I will still never understand the compensatory pick thing. But I’m guessing no one fully understands it.

When they say we are ELIGIBLE for the pick... what does that mean?

Does it mean we are getting it? Or we still don’t know?

Craic
11-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Never understood everyone's excitement when we got him. What we got is exactly what he's been. He was exactly what I thought he was . . . and we let him off the hook! If you want to crown their ass, then crown them. But they are who we thought they were . . . Wait . . . Um, never mind. :chuckle:

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Never understood everyone's excitement when we got him. What we got is exactly what he's been. He was exactly what I thought he was . . . and we let him off the hook! If you want to crown their ass, then crown them. But they are who we thought they were . . . Wait . . . Um, never mind. :chuckle:

I didn’t criticize the signing at the time. It was a need. And in retrospect it might have contributed to us drafting Bush.

If we’d gone into the draft knowing we needed an NFL
ready wide receiver... I’m not necessarily sure we we would have drafted one with our first pick, but there’s almost no way we would have traded away our 2nd round pick to move up.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but since it was inevitable that we were gonna cut Moncrief, I don’t think it would have been crazy to take a flyer on Josh Gordon. We were higher than Seattle on the waiver wire.

Then again, given that SO many teams passed on him, maybe there’s more to the story than we realize.

JayC
11-02-2019, 04:23 PM
guy got a million dollars for each catch. he has nothing to complain about

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 04:37 PM
So now we need another WR.

Donte Moncrief is available for pretty cheap. Maybe he’s worth taking a flyer on. :)

But kidding aside, how would that work? I assume Moncrief goes onto the waiver wire now. If a team claims him would they have to pay the rest of his contract? I doubt that would happen.

If he clears waivers and no one offers him a FA contract, could we re sign him for minimum? If we wait until after week 10 it wouldn’t affect our comp pick, right?

I’m not saying we SHOULD do that.

Are there any WRs on anyone’s practice squad we might want? Or do we just go the rest of the year with one less WR?

I doubt we’ll do anything like that until Conner returns and we drop this new RB. I’m just thinking ahead.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Donte Moncrief is available for pretty cheap. Maybe he’s worth taking a flyer on. :)

But kidding aside, how would that work? I assume Moncrief goes onto the waiver wire now. If a team claims him would they have to pay the rest of his contract? I doubt that would happen.

If he clears waivers and no one offers him a FA contract, could we re sign him for minimum? If we wait until after week 10 it wouldn’t affect our comp pick, right?

Are there any WRs on anyone’s practice squad we might want? Or do we just go the rest of the year with one less WR?

I doubt we’ll do anything like that until Conner returns and we drop this new RB. I’m just thinking ahead. They should have kept Spencer.

86WARD
11-02-2019, 05:11 PM
They should have kept Spencer.

What has Spencer been doing as a WR? Only thing he would’ve done is maybe, MAYBE increase the PR average by 2.5 yards...lol. Maybe he would have saved a roster spot for the stud Skipper that got away...

Moncrief was a good upside signing. It just didn’t turn out as an upside signing...as some do, this free agent signing was a dud...

Shoes
11-02-2019, 05:24 PM
4 million for 4 catches! He must have read the memoir & remains of Cortez Allen & Ladarius Green before signing with the Steelers.

11-02-2019, 05:24 PM
What has Spencer been doing as a WR? Only thing he would’ve done is maybe, MAYBE increase the PR average by 2.5 yards...lol. Maybe he would have saved a roster spot for the stud Skipper that got away...

Moncrief was a good upside signing. It just didn’t turn out as an upside signing...as some do, this free agent signing was a dud... I liked the Moncrief signing and he was good with Luck and the Colts. I don't know what Spencer is up too but he could stretch the field and get more yards on punts and kickoffs then what we have now.

86WARD
11-02-2019, 06:33 PM
I checked his stats. He’s got 4 receptions and 2.6 yards more per return than Switzer. He’s also only returned three kicks. I wouldn’t want him either...lol.

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 06:35 PM
I liked the Moncrief signing and he was good with Luck and the Colts. I don't know what Spencer is up too but he could stretch the field and get more yards on punts and kickoffs then what we have now.

He's on the Broncos. I saw him return a punt last week for about 20 yards sideways and 3 yards forward. Lol.

But I haven't exactly been following how well he's doing. He's still with the team so he must be better than their next best option.

11-02-2019, 06:39 PM
I checked his stats. He’s got 4 receptions and 2.6 yards more per return than Switzer. He’s also only returned three kicks. I wouldn’t want him either...lol. At least we wouldn't have to pay him a million a piece for those 4 rec.:bananadoggywow:

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 06:39 PM

I doubt we’ll do anything like that until Conner returns and we drop this new RB. I’m just thinking ahead.

Okay, I think I got some answer but it's confusing me. I read an article that said he can not re-sign Moncfrief, even after week 10, and keep the compensatory pick. This makes no sense to me. Why would re-signing Moncrief (assuming he clears waivers and no one else offers him a contract) be any different than signing any other free agent after week 10?

I assume we're allowed to pick up other players after week 10 without it affecting our 2020 compensatory picks

11-02-2019, 06:41 PM
He's on the Broncos. I saw him return a punt last week for about 20 yards sideways and 3 yards forward. Lol.

But I haven't exactly been following how well he's doing. He's still with the team so he must be better than their next best option. Yea all I knew is he did have a 60 yard kick return weeks back for them. Until now.

st33lersguy
11-02-2019, 06:54 PM
The latest in a long long line of Steelers free agent/trade flops over the last few years

HollywoodSteel
11-02-2019, 07:32 PM
The latest in a long long line of Steelers free agent/trade flops over the last few years

Yeah, but I think every team has their flops. We also have a few good ones.

Fitzpatrick and Mcdonald come to mind.

Mojouw
11-02-2019, 09:46 PM
Yeah, but I think every team has their flops. We also have a few good ones.

Fitzpatrick and Mcdonald come to mind.

Agreed. Nelson is another. If you're rooting around in the bargain bin, you're going to miss more often than not. Not sure it's a problem. Especially with Johnson's progress.

Washington being invisible is far more troubling than Moncrief.

Born2Steel
11-03-2019, 12:45 AM
Tevin Jones should be the next man up.

vader29
11-03-2019, 01:10 AM

vader29
11-04-2019, 04:44 PM