PDA

View Full Version : I hope Woodley doesn't see this... lol

Merchant
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5629676

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Eight-year veteran Chris Kelsay no longer has to worry about whether he'll fit in the Buffalo Bills new defensive scheme after the converted linebacker signed a four-year contract extension worth about $24 million.

I don't even know who this guy is, and he'll be making 6 mill a year.. so that's about 5.1 mill more than Woodley, who is a top 5 OLB in this league, will be making if I'm not mistaken. This is not going to help contract negotiations.

Psycho Ward 86
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
6million a year for Woodley would be a beastly bargain for us

tube517
09-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Kelsay (who?) has 22 sacks in 8 years. Woodley has 31 sacks in 47 games.

Colbert better work it out.

Merchant
09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Kelsay (who?) has 22 sacks in 8 years. Woodley has 31 sacks in 47 games.

Colbert better work it out.

That's what I'm saying.. I follow football religiously and I've never heard of this guy until today. Watch Woodley want like 10 mill a year now aha

The Duke
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I hate the bills!

kelsay- first year in a 3-4, no sacks, defense is nothing special, 0-3 record and they give him this contract :doh:

I really hope we can get a reasonable deal done with woodley

Edman
09-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Up yours Buffalo.

I hereby curse the Bills to another Ten Years of failure.

It's no sweat, though. This isn't the 1990's. Colbert will work his magic and Woodley will be taken care of.

solardave
09-30-2010, 02:42 AM
QUOTE=Merchant;64426]That's what I'm saying.. I follow football religiously and I've never heard of this guy until today. Watch Woodley want like 10 mill a year now aha[/QUOTE]

I forgot Buffalo even had a team.:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Hopefully we can give him a fair contract and not a break the bank type deal.

venom
09-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Kelsay will be cut after next year .

HometownGal
09-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that Colbert is able to work out a deal with Wood that tickles pink both sides. :pray:

PalmerSteel
09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
i say he is 2nd most important on our D, with his size, speed, instincts, and age. and played for michigan is a big plus :) we HAVE to resign him. are they negotiating now or waiting until the season is over?

fansince'76
09-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Woodley isn't going anywhere.

The Duke
09-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I forgot Buffalo even had a team.:chuckle:

so did their fans :chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
09-30-2010, 09:24 AM
i say he is 2nd most important on our D, with his size, speed, instincts, and age. and played for michigan is a big plus :) we HAVE to resign him. are they negotiating now or waiting until the season is over?

They are waiting until the season is over, the Pittsburgh Steelers do NOT negotiate contracts in season.

I'm not worried though. Woodley wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want to keep Woodley. He's going to get his payday, but in the end it will be a good deal for the Steelers too.

steelpride12
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM
I just hope Colbert and this organization realize the HUGE loss it would be to let Woodley walk away. He will get signed he is the new face of our defense.

steeldevil
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Man do I hope they dont let him get away. Get it done this offseason!!

crcsnail
09-30-2010, 10:06 AM
im hoping they sign him . he desearves a nice pay day . he is the future :)

oneforthetoe
09-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, he won't be going anywhere next year. Of course, neither will anybody else while we are watching the CFL.:frusty:

Go Rough Riders.:noidea:

SteelerSal
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
They are waiting until the season is over, the Pittsburgh Steelers do NOT negotiate contracts in season.

I'm not worried though. Woodley wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want to keep Woodley. He's going to get his payday, but in the end it will be a good deal for the Steelers too.

I agree. I'm not worried either......Woodley aint going nowhere at his age, if he was 30 or over, that would be a different story then. (Joey Porter)

Chidi29
09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
This just illustrates the fact that Woodley will be too expensive to keep. If an unproductive 3-4 OLB who is well into his 30s is getting that kind of money, (Do keep an eye out on the guaranteed stuff, that's the most important part) think what Woodley is expecting. It'll be a six year, $40 million guaranteed deal. Easily.

SMR
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, he won't be going anywhere next year. Of course, neither will anybody else while we are watching the CFL.:frusty:

Go Rough Riders.:noidea:

Ugh!

X-Terminator
09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
This just illustrates the fact that Woodley will be too expensive to keep. If an unproductive 3-4 OLB who is well into his 30s is getting that kind of money, (Do keep an eye out on the guaranteed stuff, that's the most important part) think what Woodley is expecting. It'll be a six year, $40 million guaranteed deal. Easily.

And they will pay it. Bank it. These are not your father's Pittsburgh Steelers. Hell, they aren't even Dan Rooney's Pittsburgh Steelers. Art II will make sure Woodley gets paid every cent that he's worth and deserves.

Chidi29
09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
And they will pay it. Bank it. These are not your father's Pittsburgh Steelers. Hell, they aren't even Dan Rooney's Pittsburgh Steelers. Art II will make sure Woodley gets paid every cent that he's worth and deserves.

This isn't a thought of us having an "old school" approach to where we're not willing to pony up the money. We've certainly shown we'll hand out the big bucks if you're valuable enough.

The question is whether or not Woodley is just that. Valuable enough.

No doubt he's a great player. Fun to watch. I'm not taking away what kind of athlete he is.

But let's be honest here. We haven't exactly had a lot of trouble finding new pass rushers. Lloyd, Greene, Gildon, Porter, and Harrison since the 90s. All are guys who were considered one of the top OLBs in the league. Guys like Greene and Gildon are in the record books. Greene is top five in sacks in history (Granted, that didn't all come with us) while Gildon is out all-time sack leader. I'm sure you're aware of that.

When you have that ability to plug guys in, why go for the huge investment? We're not even talking James Harrison money anymore. That will look like something you find in your couch cushion compared to what Woodley is going to get, regardless of where he gets it.

When you have players like Clark Haggans who have posted numbers as high as 8.5 sacks in a season, do you need to break the bank? Speand that elsewhere. It's pretty obvious the scheme creates the pass rush as much as the players do.

You just drafted two OLBs too. Worilds has only played on Woodley's side so far. That dates back to college when he was a LE at Tech. If you lock up Woodley, where does Worilds fit? That isn't a say-all, end-all factor, we don't know how good Worilds will be, but it'll look pretty silly if he doesn't get an opportunity. Tomlin reached for him. Went against the draft board pretty badly. He's going to have to be given a chance.

If Woodley would be getting a smaller contract, I'd understand it. But $40 million+ guaranteed. All things considered, it isn't worth it.

It'll be tough to let him go. No disagreement from me. But we've done it before and come out the other side. We'll do it again.

X-Terminator
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
This isn't a thought of us having an "old school" approach to where we're not willing to pony up the money. We've certainly shown we'll hand out the big bucks if you're valuable enough.

No doubt he's a great player. Fun to watch. I'm not taking away what kind of athlete he is.

But let's be honest here. We haven't exactly had a lot of trouble finding new pass rushers. Lloyd, Greene, Gildon, Porter, and Harrison since the 90s. All are guys who were considered one of the top OLBs in the league. Guys like Greene and Gildon are in the record books. Greene is top five in sacks in history (Granted, that didn't all come with us) while Gildon is out all-time sack leader. I'm sure you're aware of that.

When you have that ability to plug guys in, why go for the huge investment? We're not even talking James Harrison money anymore. That will look like something you find in your couch cushion compared to what Woodley is going to get, regardless of where he gets it.

When you have players like Clark Haggans who have posted numbers as high as 8.5 sacks in a season, do you need to break the bank? Speand that elsewhere. It's pretty obvious the scheme creates the pass rush as much as the players do.

You just drafted two OLBs too. Worilds has only played on Woodley's side so far. That dates back to college when he was a LE at Tech. If you lock up Woodley, where does Worilds fit? That isn't a say-all, end-all factor, we don't know how good Worilds will be, but it'll look pretty silly if he doesn't get an opportunity. Tomlin reached for him. Went against the draft board pretty badly. He's going to have to be given a chance.

If Woodley would be getting a smaller contract, I'd understand it. But $40 million+ guaranteed. All things considered, it isn't worth it.

It'll be tough to let him go. No disagreement from me. But we've done it before and come out the other side. We'll do it again.

All good points, but I'd still rather lock Woodley up, especially since Harrison is getting up there in age. As great as he has been, he IS over 30 and will not play at this level forever. Worilds is the replacement for Harrison, not Woodley. Tomlin took a guy who was an outside rusher in college and moved him inside (Timmons). So learning Harrison's position should not be an issue for Worilds.

tube517
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
After 2011, Timmons' contract expires. Can they keep 3 high level LB's (Timmons, Woodley and Harrison). Another reason why these defensive guys like it in Pittsburgh is LeBeau. Will he be around for another 3-4 years? Lots of questions that nobody can answer now.

polamalubeast
10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I think Lamarr Woodley will have a 6-year contract for 65 million.