PDA

View Full Version : Week 8: Miami Dolphins (MNF)

Edman
10-22-2019, 12:10 AM
The Steelers are 2-4 and facing the 0-7 Dolphins, who are doing everything possible to throw their season into the trash bin.

Mason Rudolph returns to the starting lineup after week off from a concussion (or something).

Miami has some incentive to win this game. They are already on the fast track to the #1 pick, but they also own the Steelers' first round pick. Winning this game makes the pick even higher, and they've been playing a little better recently.

In a season so far where it seems nothing goes the way you expected, its nice to see something predictable. The Steelers playing an inferior opponent. The Steelers will "play down" like usual and this game will go down to the final quarter, where something stupid will happen. At least it won't be that disappointing this time around.

21-17 Dolphins.

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 12:49 AM
The Steelers are 2-4 and facing the 0-7 Dolphins, who are doing everything possible to throw their season into the trash bin.

Mason Rudolph returns to the starting lineup after week off from a concussion (or something).

Miami has some incentive to win this game. They are already on the fast track to the #1 pick, but they also own the Steelers' first round pick. Winning this game makes the pick even higher, and they've been playing a little better recently.

In a season so far where it seems nothing goes the way you expected, its nice to see something predictable. The Steelers playing an inferior opponent. The Steelers will "play down" like usual and this game will go down to the final quarter, where something stupid will happen. At least it won't be that disappointing this time around.

21-17 Dolphins.

We don’t lose at home on Monday nights. Especially not to smiling sea mammals.

28 - 13 Steelers

86WARD
10-22-2019, 04:55 AM
This should be a walk in the park. Early feeling: Offense doesn’t show up for Pittsburgh. Defense scores a TD. Game winds up being a 17-16 victory...but will feel like a loss...

tube517
10-22-2019, 06:35 AM
Win one for Minkah!

Squeegee Thompson
10-22-2019, 09:42 AM
I don't see Miami staying within 2 touchdowns. 27-10 Steelers. Most of Miami's 10 points come in garbage time.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 10:06 AM
This is the game where Mason Rudolph throws 4 TD's

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Win one for Minkah!

I think this is one where he balls out and makes some big plays. He wanted out of Miami and has said the Steelers organization feels like he is home. Time to be great.

st33lersguy
10-22-2019, 11:15 AM
If they win by one possession, it should feel like a loss, that's how bad Miami is

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Win one for Minkah!

Honestly the reasoning behind them trading him to us is the Miami FO thinking we'd tank the rest of the season. Hope the team takes that as disrespect and comes out ready to kick some ass

GoSlash27
10-22-2019, 12:00 PM

28 - 13 Steelers

That game we lost to the smiling sea mammals in the torrential downpour where a kickoff stuck in the turf like a lawn dart... Wasn't that one a home Monday night game?

tube517
10-22-2019, 12:01 PM
That game we lost to the smiling sea mammals in the torrential downpour where a kickoff stuck in the turf like a lawn dart... Wasn't that one a home Monday night game?

We won that game, 3-0

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 12:05 PM

LOL I remember that game, and couldn't stop cracking up for about 5 minutes after that punt stuck into the mud. At that point I didn't care about style points, if the field was in that bad of shape, it'd be tough to score against anybody. We did win it 3-0

Born2Steel
10-22-2019, 12:16 PM

28 - 13 Steelers

I’ll jump in with Steelers 35, Dolphins 0.

DesertSteel
10-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Steelers 9-3

ALLD
10-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Watched it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6S_jsnjChE

GoSlash27
10-22-2019, 01:16 PM
We won that game, 3-0

Thanks, my senility kickin' in again....

tube517
10-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Thanks, my senility kickin' in again....

Mine too but Youtube always helps :chuckle:

I forgot it was a MNF game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Honestly the reasoning behind them trading him to us is the Miami FO thinking we'd tank the rest of the season. Hope the team takes that as disrespect and comes out ready to kick some ass

I don’t see how anyone would think a team would trade away their first round pick and then tank the season. Those two actions just don’t compute.

I mean, I can see that they figured we’d be good for a reasonably high draft pick because we lost Ben for the season, but not that we’d be in tank mode.

But it is kind of a weird trade on their part for the same reason it’s a good trade on our part. Minkah is a proven commodity. It’s not like they won’t have to replace him now.

But maybe it’s a situation where he wasn’t happy there and there was friction. It’s not like he was expensive. He was on a rookie deal.

I guess maybe they figure they will draft a lower round safety and use the first round pick on some greater need. I don’t really get it though.

slippy
10-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Hines Ward took over that mudfest 3-0 game at the end. The definition of elevating your game.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 02:36 PM
I don’t see how anyone would think a team would trade away their first round pick and then tank the season. Those two actions just don’t compute.

I mean, I can see that they figured we’d be good for a reasonably high draft pick because we lost Ben for the season, but not that we’d be in tank mode.

But it is kind of a weird trade on their part for the same reason it’s a good trade on our part. Minkah is a proven commodity. It’s not like they won’t have to replace him now.

But maybe it’s a situation where he wasn’t happy there and there was friction. It’s not like he was expensive. He was on a rookie deal.

I guess maybe they figure they will draft a lower round safety and use the first round pick on some greater need. I don’t really get it though.

Not tanking in the sense that Indy did for Luck, or Miami's doing for Tua / Herbert, but Miami traded him to us thinking that we'd do poorly the rest of the season and they'd get a higher pick.

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Not tanking in the sense that Indy did for Luck, or Miami's doing for Tua / Herbert, but Miami traded him to us thinking that we'd do poorly the rest of the season and they'd get a higher pick.

Yeah, I guess. But what was Minkah drafted? Like 11? I’m just wondering what calculus they use to determine if the draft pick is worth more than Minkah is. Would they rather have the 10th pick than Minkah? What about the 12?

Do they regret the pick?

I mean, it’s not like they had so much talent at safety that Minkah was a luxury. They drafted him for a reason. And unless there was a personality conflict there, them trading Minkah for basically getting their pick back (even up or down a couple spots) seems like a wash.

Unless having a stud safety back there is a liability to their goal of tanking this year and securing the number 1 overall pick. It’s just all such backwards strategy that it’s difficult to get in Miami’s head. Although it’s kind of fun to try.

It would make for a really interesting NFL documentary if they had recorded all the meetings that took place to incorporate the Dolphins strategy this year. Obviously that’s a documentary that will never be made... but maybe some day, an insider will write a book and tell the real story of what went on. I’d certainly be interested in hearing that story.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I guess. But what was Minkah drafted? Like 11? I’m just wondering what calculus they use to determine if the draft pick is worth more than Minkah is. Would they rather have the 10th pick than Minkah? What about the 12?

Do they regret the pick?

I mean, it’s not like they had so much talent at safety that Minkah was a luxury. They drafted him for a reason. And unless there was a personality conflict there, them trading Minkah for basically getting their pick back (even up or down a couple spots) seems like a wash.

Unless having a stud safety back there is a liability to their goal of tanking this year and securing the number 1 overall pick. It’s just all such backwards strategy that it’s difficult to get in Miami’s head. Although it’s kind of fun to try.

It would make for a really interesting NFL documentary if they had recorded all the meetings that took place to incorporate the Dolphins strategy this year. Obviously that’s a documentary that will never be made... but maybe some day, an insider will write a book and tell the real story of what went on. I’d certainly be interested in hearing that story.

Probably a situation that works out for both, there was a bit of a personality conflict with Minkah and the dolphins. No details but he did ask for a trade. He does seem like a kid who wants to win, so the Dolphins mentality of tanking probably didn't sit well with him. He seemed happy to go to the Steelers (who had the same winless record at the time), but the culture of the Steelers is much different.

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Probably a situation that works out for both, there was a bit of a personality conflict with Minkah and the dolphins. No details but he did ask for a trade. He does seem like a kid who wants to win, so the Dolphins mentality of tanking probably didn't sit well with him. He seemed happy to go to the Steelers (who had the same winless record at the time), but the culture of the Steelers is much different.

Okay. I didn’t realize he asked for a trade. It makes sense to me now.

teegre
10-23-2019, 06:57 AM
Okay. I didn’t realize he asked for a trade. It makes sense to me now.

The Dolphins used Minkah as a SS/ILB... which isn’t his strength. That said, they also used him as a NB, where he was ranked the “BEST slot corner” by just about every pundit out there.

SUMMATION
Miami is obviously tanking. Trading away a good player, who is also disgruntled, made sense.

Steeler-in-west
10-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Dolphins aren’t scoring more than 10 points on this defense at home.

20+ to 10 Steelers

Squeegee Thompson
10-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Do they regret the pick?

I don't understand this as well - especially in light of the king's ransom the Rams gave up to get Jaylen Ramsey, a notorious shit-starter. From my perspective, MFF seemed to be handling himself pretty well in Miami even after the fire sale had started.

The Steelers haven't drafted as high as #11 in 15 years, so the odds of even getting a one-to-one swap in value wasn't that great. (With the Steelers starting to turn it around and with some cupcake teams coming up, that pick is starting to look like a mid-to-late teens pick, now). Fitzpatrick was only a 2nd year player, a high-character guy, and arguably the best safety from that draft class. He'd have been the perfect anchor for Miami's defense to build around going forward.

Again, looking at it from the perspective of what it took LA to get Ramsey (on possibly only a one-year rental), the MFF trade is looking more and more like a steal for Pittsburgh.

AtlantaDan
10-23-2019, 11:14 AM
SUMMATION
Miami is obviously tanking. Trading away a good player, who is also disgruntled, made sense.

Management is tanking but there is always the problem of competitive athletes not getting the memo and playing to win.

Dolphins were in danger of tying Washington until the coaching staff intervened to dial up the botched two point conversion at the end of regulation and with FitzMagic at QB the Dolphins had the lead at Buffalo last week from late in the second quarter until early in the fourth quarter.

I am a lot more concerned about Fitzpatrick than I was about the Red Rifle on Monday night a month ago (WTF is up with scheduling two home Monday night games in a month?)

Unless Fichtner decides to open up the playbook this offense is not going to score a lot of points and the defense could lose focus on a few drives.

IMO the 14&1/2 point spread is much too high.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Management is tanking but there is always the problem of competitive athletes not getting the memo and playing to win.

Dolphins were in danger of tying Washington until the coaching staff intervened to dial up the botched two point conversion at the end of regulation and with FitzMagic at QB the Dolphins had the lead at Buffalo last week from late in the second quarter until early in the fourth quarter.

I am a lot more concerned about Fitzpatrick than I was about the Red Rifle on Monday night a month ago (WTF is up with scheduling two home Monday night games in a month?)

Unless Fichtner decides to open up the playbook this offense is not going to score a lot of points and the defense could lose focus on a few drives.

I agree. As a Steeler fan, I am going to just have to enjoy the games as best I can, until Fichtner is no longer the OC. My guess is 2021 when Ben retires, so in the grand scheme its not that long, but he is terrible. I actually respect Bruce Arians playcalling and offense more then Fichtner's.

PalmerSteel
10-23-2019, 12:40 PM
This should be a walk in the park and an easy win and win by at least 20, so that means we will win by 3 :)

Shoes
10-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Steelers 34

Dolphins get one dong TD :chuckle:

HollywoodSteel
10-23-2019, 03:27 PM

14 1/2 point spread! I wouldn’t bet the Steelers to cover that with Big Ben.

If you can get those odds, I’d say bet Miami and wait for the line to move. Then bet the Steelers and try to catch the middle.

But that is indeed a weird line with a back up QB, especially since we are generally allergic to blowing teams out, even with our HOF QB.

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers 34

Dolphins get one dong TD :chuckle:

How is Bud Dupree going to score a TD for Miami?

teegre
10-24-2019, 06:58 AM

Agreed. Players aren’t going to simply stop being competitive; it’s why they’re the top 0.1% of their profession.

Building upon that, after the first game, the Dolphins players knew that management was trying to tank the season. Being competitors, several of them requested a trade. They weren’t pulling a Ramsey “faking an injury until I get what I want” type of demand; they were simple requests for trades.

So... Fitzpatrick has two reasons to want out: the Dolphins were tanking AND he felt he was being lined up at a position that didn’t suit his skill-set.

SUMMATION:
Being used incorrectly was the base for Fitzpatrick’s angst; the Dolphins tanking the season was the catalyst for him to request a trade.

Squeegee Thompson
10-24-2019, 09:41 AM
^ ... uh, he's talking about the other Fitzpatrick. Not the one who instantly made our secondary a strength, but the one who's played for about 14 teams, who looks ridiculous with his beard poking out from his chinstrap, and the one whom the announcers have to mention about 10 times per game went to Haaaahvaaaahd.

Rotorhead
10-24-2019, 10:34 AM
^ ... uh, he's talking about the other Fitzpatrick. Not the one who instantly made our secondary a strength, but the one who's played for about 14 teams, who looks ridiculous with his beard poking out from his chinstrap, and the one whom the announcers have to mention about 10 times per game went to Haaaahvaaaahd.

He was responding to earlier comments on MFF . . .

AtlantaDan
10-24-2019, 08:21 PM
(https://twitter.com/dlolley_pgh/status/1187458766687686658?s=21)
Good surprise that Samuels was full participant - I thought he would be out longer :noidea:

st33lersguy
10-24-2019, 08:28 PM
In all seriousness, why the hell is this ACC Coastal team impersonating a pro football team allowed on primetime?

AtlantaDan
10-24-2019, 08:50 PM
In all seriousness, why the hell is this ACC Coastal team impersonating a pro football team allowed on primetime?

Roger has been sticking it to ESPN for years with rotten games that NBC would never take for Sunday night. The league knows ESPN pays for MNF to a significant extent to get rights to run NFL highlights on its non-live games programming and to keep MNF away from Fox. So when the annually horrible MNF schedule comes out ESPN can only respond thank you sir may I have another.

But in a brilliant move to make the broadcast even worse, ESPN now has the craptastic games it is forced to run with no ability to flex out analyzed by the awful MNF crew starring the All-Pro level of terrible Booger McFarland.

Consistently the worst programming on a weekly basis of the NFL season. When I watch it when the Steelers are on MNF I am reminded why that is about the only time I do.

86WARD
10-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Jacksonville/Tennessee trumps ANYTHING in the bottom of the barrel, no ratings game department...and they stick NBC with that Thursday Night game year in and year out...

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Roger has been sticking it to ESPN for years with rotten games that NBC would never take for Sunday night. The league knows ESPN pays for MNF to a significant extent to get rights to run NFL highlights on its non-live games programming and to keep MNF away from Fox. So when the annually horrible MNF schedule comes out ESPN can only respond thank you sir may I have another.

But in a brilliant move to make the broadcast even worse, ESPN now has the craptastic games it is forced to run with no ability to flex out analyzed by the awful MNF crew starring the All-Pro level of terrible Booger McFarland.

Consistently the worst programming on a weekly basis of the NFL season. When I watch it when the Steelers are on MNF I am reminded why that is about the only time I do. The worse part is I got to see if I can get a free trail with a streaming service that carry's ESPN to watch the game. Think I burn a lot of bridges in the past to watch the Steelers on MNF with free trails. I hate ESPN and why can't they have a service where you pay 5 bucks a month to watch ?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-24-2019, 09:20 PM
The worse part is I got to see if I can get a free trail with a streaming service that carry's ESPN to watch the game. Think I burn a lot of bridges in the past to watch the Steelers on MNF with free trails. I hate ESPN and why can't they have a service where you pay 5 bucks a month to watch ? Pisses me off and have antenna for all the other games.

- - - Updated - - -

Pisses me off and have antenna for all the other games. Yes I responded to my own post and don't care and hate ESPN. I also hate Disney,ABC and now Star Wars!

teegre
10-25-2019, 06:44 AM

My apologies. I was only replying to the first paragraph of his post. I should have cropped the bottom off.

Born2Steel
10-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Win it for the children. (52)

Fire Goodell
10-25-2019, 12:48 PM
(https://twitter.com/dlolley_pgh/status/1187458766687686658?s=21)
Good surprise that Samuels was full participant - I thought he would be out longer :noidea:

I'm surprised he's already fully practicing tbh, but that's good news. He may already be ready to come back next week.

Squeegee Thompson
10-25-2019, 02:28 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19319291/Week8Injury2.jpeg

The only player not at 'Full Participation' is Mark Barron. That, in itself, makes the defense instantly better.

NCSteeler
10-25-2019, 05:22 PM
I agree. As a Steeler fan, I am going to just have to enjoy the games as best I can, until Fichtner is no longer the OC. My guess is 2021 when Ben retires, so in the grand scheme its not that long, but he is terrible. I actually respect Bruce Arians playcalling and offense more then Fichtner's.No doubt this guy doesn't belong. I often read that if the Steelers fired Tomlin he'd have a job in 24 hours, not Fitchner he'd be coaching WRs some when , MAYBE.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
10-25-2019, 05:25 PM
The worse part is I got to see if I can get a free trail with a streaming service that carry's ESPN to watch the game. Think I burn a lot of bridges in the past to watch the Steelers on MNF with free trails. I hate ESPN and why can't they have a service where you pay 5 bucks a month to watch ?Try u s t v n o w. Com or a few trial of sling

NCSteeler
10-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Btw, in relation to the first post... I don't think this particular team plays down to anyone. I'm starting more and more to think alot of that was the B's being to egotistical and the coaches letting them slack. These young guys play hard and have fun

Hawkman
10-26-2019, 03:00 PM
My man Nix, could be back. Love a good FB.....,and not Facebook.

HollywoodSteel
10-28-2019, 05:15 PM
So the Dolphins traded Kenyan Drake. I wonder if this changes any defensive strategy on our part. Knowing Tomlin, I’m guessing he’d say that it changes nothing. Just seems like if we’re not afraid of their running game we can tee off on Fitzpatrick more. I

We really have no excuses in this one, but I don’t want to jinx anything.