PDA

View Full Version : Next 7 games total record = 13-27-1. We got this!

PalmerSteel
10-14-2019, 11:47 AM
As many games as we have shot ourselves in the foot, this is the pathetic record we are playing over the next 7 games. The only 2 games against winning teams are at home. IF IF IF, we don't shoot ourselves, we could realistically win 6 of these and be 8-5 going down the stretch with everything still achievable in front of us. Thoughts?

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Preach on!

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 12:26 PM
These next 2 games will be huge.

Miami is the classic trap game, and trap games have always been their achilles heel. We need to win this game and not just merely 'escape' it like the redskins did. I'm talking a win by no less than 14 points. I'm not taking this game for granted, the last time I did, we were playing a horrible bucs team at home led by Mike Glennon. I think they were like 1-6 or something and embarassed them at home. I'm a little more optimistic that this young team doesn't have the same complacency the Steeler teams of the past few years did though. Not to mention there's some bulletin board material about Miami trading Fitz to us because they expected us to tank the season. Good reason to punch these fuckers in the mouth.

Indy at home will be tough, they are a good team. Beating them at home will put us at 4-4 and make a statement that we're very much in the mix.

AtlantaDan
10-14-2019, 12:38 PM
These next 2 games will be huge.

Miami is the classic trap game, and trap games have always been their achilles heel. We need to win this game and not just merely 'escape' it like the redskins did. I'm talking a win by no less than 14 points. I'm not taking this game for granted, the last time I did, we were playing a horrible bucs team at home led by Mike Glennon. I think they were like 1-6 or something and embarassed them at home. I'm a little more optimistic that this young team doesn't have the same complacency the Steeler teams of the past few years did though.

Indy at home will be tough, they are a good team. Beating them at home will put us at 4-4 and make a statement that we're very much in the mix.

As the Ravens play their next two games wrapped around their bye week

@Seahawks
Bye week
Patriots (Sunday night)

tube517
10-14-2019, 01:27 PM
That is assuming we stay healthy. This team is a M*A*S*H unit right now.

86WARD
10-14-2019, 02:32 PM
10-6

st33lersguy
10-14-2019, 06:10 PM
We should have this, but then again Mike Tomlin is our head coach. Tomlin is probably Miami's biggest opportunity for a victory after the Bengirls

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 06:13 PM
We should have this, but then again Mike Tomlin is our head coach. Tomlin is probably Miami's biggest opportunity for a victory after the Bengirls

You Suck

teegre
10-15-2019, 06:58 AM
As the Ravens play their next two games wrapped around their bye week

@Seahawks
Bye week
Patriots (Sunday night)

Bingo!!!

In three weeks, it could very easily be this:

Steelers: 4-4
Ravens: 4-4

steel striker
10-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Yeah if the Steelers can keep winning and, yes they do have winnable games coming up at home. The Tuitt IR injury is a big hit for the d-line but, I think the defense is coming together they are getting better.

Fire Goodell
10-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Bingo!!!

In three weeks, it could very easily be this:

Steelers: 4-4
Ravens: 4-4

Browns at 2-6 would make me smile too

tube517
10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Browns at 2-6 would make me smile too

Stains could very well be 2-7 when we play them.

Their next 3 games before us:

at Cheats**
at Denver
vs Buffalo

Not easy to win in Denver and the Bills defense is legit

DesertSteel
10-16-2019, 09:31 AM
9-7

EzraTank
10-16-2019, 10:18 AM
As many games as we have shot ourselves in the foot, this is the pathetic record we are playing over the next 7 games. The only 2 games against winning teams are at home. IF IF IF, we don't shoot ourselves, we could realistically win 6 of these and be 8-5 going down the stretch with everything still achievable in front of us. Thoughts?

Think about this. Without the Juju/Conner fumbles this team (yes this team) could easily be 4-2 right now. If we had this defense two years ago when we gave up 14,343 points to the Jags in the playoffs ...

Oh well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2019, 12:06 PM
9-7

I sure hope so, but objectively looking at the schedule from here on out, I see 7-9. I hope I am underestimating things.

DesertSteel
10-16-2019, 12:21 PM
I sure hope so, but objectively looking at the schedule from here on out, I see 7-9. I hope I am underestimating things.
I'm just looking at winnable games... a formula that hasn't worked very well for Steelers' fans in recent years. Realistically, it could go anywhere from 5-11 to 10-6, so I'm reaching towards the optimistic side. If Rudolph can prove to carry the offense, I like their chances.

EzraTank
10-16-2019, 12:39 PM
I'm just looking at winnable games... a formula that hasn't worked very well for Steelers' fans in recent years. Realistically, it could go anywhere from 5-11 to 10-6, so I'm reaching towards the optimistic side. If Rudolph can prove to carry the offense, I like their chances.

This is going to be the biggest thing. So far he's had so-so touch on his deep balls. If he can get better touch on his deep balls then other teams will have to respect and defend both the pass & run. As of right now if I'm gaming planning for the Steelers I'm loading the box.

Mojouw
10-16-2019, 12:53 PM
8-8 is about the best I can see it falling out as. Even if they go 9-7+, they are likely going to be like the Tyrod Taylor led Bills a few years back. A fatally flawed wildcard team that makes a fun late season run and then flames out in the playoffs.

So, a normal Steelers season?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2019, 01:19 PM
8-8 is about the best I can see it falling out as. Even if they go 9-7+, they are likely going to be like the Tyrod Taylor led Bills a few years back. A fatally flawed wildcard team that makes a fun late season run and then flames out in the playoffs.

So, a normal Steelers season?

Meh, kind of like those mid 80's Steelers. Fun to watch on Sundays, but I have no expectations of greatness this season. These kind of years can separate the fans from the fair weather fans.

Hawkman
10-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Main difference between mid 80’s and now......no fan websites where the bitchers come out of the woodwork to bitch.:wink02::heh:

Dissolv
10-16-2019, 02:25 PM
As of right now if I'm gaming planning for the Steelers I'm loading the box.

That became true the moment Ben went down. Honestly we've had above expected backup QB play, and I am grateful. Can one of those guys stretch the field, given our current crop of receivers, and also not become a turnover machine? That's the question. Until they prove that they can, expect a much tighter game plan and a reliance on our own defense. Which isn't exactly a bad thing.....

I figure 8-8, but there is still a semi-reasonable chance at 9-7 and a wildcard. If nothing else, the team is enjoyable to watch again. They haven't felt like they were under performing the last few weeks, which is something that I got from them sometimes for the last......ummm......number of years. I think ideally they get into the playoffs, lose, but then come roaring back next year with this same defense, plus a better and tighter offensive scheme.

Mojouw
10-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Not trying to come at anyone posting here. But I can't wrap my head around something. Across Steelers related internet sites, people seem happier that the team is not good and may barely eek out a .500 season because the defense is fun to watch again?

I mean have Steelers fans just bought so far into the mythology of "Steelers" football that as long as the team plays the "right way" the results don't matter?

Hey, as long as people are having fun watching and talking about the games -- I do not care how they get there! I am honestly trying to understand the point of view.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2019, 05:24 PM
Not trying to come at anyone posting here. But I can't wrap my head around something. Across Steelers related internet sites, people seem happier that the team is not good and may barely eek out a .500 season because the defense is fun to watch again?

I mean have Steelers fans just bought so far into the mythology of "Steelers" football that as long as the team plays the "right way" the results don't matter?

Hey, as long as people are having fun watching and talking about the games -- I do not care how they get there! I am honestly trying to understand the point of view.

Not sure. Cant say I noticed anybody really happier here. I guess Steeldude is still dissatisfied. :)

Possibly lower expectations due to injuries leading to less gnashing of teeth.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2019, 05:25 PM

There was so much negativity around the team the past several seasons, culminating in the 2018 crash & burn on & off the field, that watching this maybe .500 team is more enjoyable to me than what was available from the Broncos loss through the end of 2018 and the resolution of the AB drama.

It would be even better wondering how far this team without the injuries to Ben & Tuitt might go in a mediocre AFC, but to me 2018 was even worse than the 2006 and 2009 clusters of a season. So even with the best case being a long shot at the playoffs I get why many fans may be happier this season (or at least less upset)

fansince'76
10-16-2019, 05:33 PM
I figure 8-8, but there is still a semi-reasonable chance at 9-7 and a wildcard.

9-7 will probably win the AFCN and get a WC home game. The AFC is pretty bad from top to bottom.

pczach
10-16-2019, 05:45 PM

I think that for many, the expectations of the team are drastically lower and they can just watch new, young talent and cheer like crazy for the team if they rise up and pull off a decent season. I get the sense that many here can't stand thinking that the team can contend for a championship, and not perform up to their expectations like the last few seasons.

That's the sense I get from it.

GoSlash27
10-16-2019, 06:29 PM

I'll echo PCZach's sentiments. Expectations are lower, and so is the disappointment. Plus, who doesn't love an underdog?
For me, this is a team with less ego, but a lot more heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXCAvb_jHes

Dissolv
10-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Exactly. When I watch they look like they are giving their all. Maybe that's not enough. But the last couple of years...when they have crazy superstar talent (see what I did there?), they played sloppy, lost to poor teams, didn't look prepared. Heck, how many times did they send out 10 men on defense last year? It was more than once.

When you you have world class superstar talent, a defense stocked with draft picks, and a franchise quarterback the expectation is a deep playoff run. What was delivered was an episode of the Kardashians. I root for the team either way, but if it takes a bad year to get back to football, then it's worth it. If that football happens to be old school smash mouth, then that's a bonus. But really I just want to see a team that looks like it is invested in the game, not the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

Mojouw
10-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Good responses. I guess I just never saw/felt some of the same things as others did.

I really don’t see a team that is any more or less prepared. I do see a team that is far better at concerning itself with each player focusing on his assignment without trying to cover-up for the guy next to him.

Hawkman
10-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Good responses. I guess I just never saw/felt some of the same things as others did.

I really don’t see a team that is any more or less prepared. I do see a team that is far better at concerning itself with each player focusing on his assignment without trying to cover-up for the guy next to him.

Couldn’t that be considered more prepared?

Mojouw
10-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Couldn’t that be considered more prepared?

I guess? But not in the all the coaches suck and the players are arrogant divas way I feel like people mean it.

Shoes
10-16-2019, 09:45 PM

That is about where I think it will end this season. The WR group just seems invisible imo, Conner plays with 100% grit and won't last with a heavy carry load, I'm just not sold on snell. I'm concerned about Watt also, he's non-stop and I wonder how long he can push the envelope. Then we have Chickillo. :chuckle: I hope I'm wrong.

teegre
10-17-2019, 06:45 AM
Credit to the schedule-makers... the AFC North will likely be decided on Week 17: Steelers @ Ravens.

PalmerSteel
10-17-2019, 11:33 AM

They have gotten younger now for 5 straight years and are now one of the youngest teams, they are on their 4th string QB (no one else is on their 3rd), they have amazing young talent on Defense that is improving and gelling better every week with a VERY good chance with a minimum of 4 ALL-pros for many years to come, and young upcoming stars at WR and RB. The Defense is improving week to week and the offensive line has improved week to week. That is a lot to be thankful for. If this continues, the wins will follow, guaranteed. If they don't, we will not be happy for much longer!

Edman
10-17-2019, 01:08 PM
With the loss of talent, means a loss of expectations, and thus a loss of disappointment when the Steelers lose. I would rather have a team with less talent play with heart and overachieve than have a team with a ton of talent but no heart and underachieve.

The 2014-2018 Steelers are the epitome of underachievement. They had offensive talent never before seen in Pittsburgh, but they never truly played up to their potential. There were flashes of brilliance, but it never materialized into greatness.

The 2019 Steelers have none of the high-end talent. But are more fun to watch for me because they are playing with a lot more heart and as a cohesive unit Instead of a group of talented individuals. There is no Ben-to-AB connection. No chasing statistics. No ego-driven offense (mostly). Just a team scrapping. I think this is the kind of team Tomlin wanted, but there were too many veteran egos to manage. After the Offense fumbled away yet another winnable game against the Ravens, the Steelers Defense wanted to play more physical with the offense in practice, the Offense complained and it exposed the glaring issues with this team that has plagued them for all these years: they were still soft and complacent and high on their own shit instead of focusing on what was important: winning. It worked. The offense stopped being soft and played good against the Chargers behind a third string QB. The team needs this kind of effort if they’re going to save this season.

Wether they are good or not, they are a likeable, rootable young team trying to find their way out. A young quarterback with minimal offensive talent backed by a Defense that is finally coming into its own. Despite this, Two close wins slipped out of their grasp against some good teams. The Steelers were this close to beating the 49ers, who are 5-0.

Plus, people love underdogs.

Fire Goodell
10-17-2019, 01:16 PM
With the loss of talent, means a loss of expectations, and thus a loss of disappointment when the Steelers lose. I would rather have a team with less talent play with heart and overachieve than have a team with a ton of talent but no heart and underachieve.

The 2014-2018 Steelers are the epitome of underachievement. They had offensive talent never before seen in Pittsburgh, but they never truly played up to their potential. There were flashes of brilliance, but it never materialized into greatness.

The 2019 Steelers have none of the high-end talent. But are more fun to watch for me because they are playing with a lot more heart and as a cohesive unit Instead of a group of talented individuals. There is no Ben-to-AB connection. No chasing statistics. No ego-driven offense (mostly). Just a team scrapping. I think this is the kind of team Tomlin wanted, but there were too many veteran egos to manage. Last week the Steelers Defense wanted to play more physical with the offense in practice, the Offense complained and it exposed the glaring issues with this team that has plagued them for all these years: they were still soft and complacent and high on their own shit instead of focusing on what was important: winning. It worked. The offense stopped being soft and played good against the Chargers behind a third string QB. The team needs this kind of effort if they’re going to save this season.

Wether they are good or not, they are a likeable, rootable young team trying to find their way out. A young quarterback with minimal offensive talent backed by a Defense that is finally coming into its own. Despite this, Two close wins slipped out of their grasp against some good teams. The Steelers were this close to beating the 49ers, who are 5-0.

Plus, people love underdogs.

This team is better than a lot of people think, regardless of the lack of star power. It looks like a new culture of team-first is building and I'm loving it. Juju and Conner aren't complaining about getting more touches, they want to win. I still think 10-6 is really possible.

Mojouw
10-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Wait. Wait. So removing AB and Ben means that the team has no expectations? Ok. Maybe on offense. But why is there suddenly no expectations on the defense? It is literally the same players plus significant upgrades in MFF, Bush, Nelson, and Barron.

Basically the only place that expectations should have ratcheted down is QB and WR. But, no one is talking about preparation and terrible coaches, etc day in and day out. I find it hard to believe that one player (AB) had that much impact on the 100+ people that make up a football team.

Is it possible that 2016-18 fan reactions were exaggerated and 2019 is a similar over-reaction in the other direction?

Dissolv
10-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Defense has underachieved for a while now. It is just starting to look like they are coming around and are performing at a very high level. So they are not "no expectations", but "meets expectations". Heck, the number of takeaways alone may put them into "exceeds expectations". Even special teams is starting to click. Somehow.

Culture matters, and one crappy guy at work can in fact make things miserable for an unbelievable number of people. We just lost what may be the worst Diva of all time, so who knows what impact that may have had. Queue Jesse James' quote upon leaving. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/15/te-jesse-james-glad-to-get-away-from-steelers-drama/

NCSteeler
10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Right now they are a fun team to watch. We're seeing what our coaches can do when not hamstrung by star talent. Forced to generate a game plan for a backup QB. I really think Ben, Bell and Brown had a lot to do with lack of preparation for losing teams. When we would run a play cause it was a play we liked even if it didn't fit the situation, when we run high reward, high risk, low success plays just because

The defense I really think MFF was the fix. The communication problem the defense has had since Shazier went down, seem completely gone.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
10-17-2019, 03:46 PM
I simply can't wrap my head around the idea that the coaches are idiots with great players and geniuses with below average players. I realize that many are not trying to paint that extreme of a contrast, but it just makes zero sense to me.

If Fichtner had a smart/clever/effective/whatever scheme for a 4th string QB against the Chargers, then I find it hard to believe his scheme was moronic/useless/inappropriate against, say, the 2018 Saints.

I honestly believe that with the spectre of a SB appearance removed, fans are free to be less results biased. In other words for 3+ years now everytime something went wrong, the fans threw up their hands and said "stupid coaches are losing us a championship". No thought was given to process, only outcome. Now, since everyone figures the outcome is kinda crappy anyways, they are looking at the process.

For instance, a few posts up the exciting young developing defense is mentioned. So unless, Bush and MFF are the only under 28 players on the defense that fit that description, the defense has been young and developing for at least 3 seasons. Tuitt, Hargrave, Watt, Edmunds, and Shazier. They have been trying to build exactly what we are looking at in 2019 for 4 seasons or so.

Anyways, this is coming off as overly negative and scolding, which is not my intention. I just think that it is possible that fans (or fanatics that we all are) get a bit too wrapped up in outcomes when a team is "good" and lose sight of all the other stuff that is going on.

Fire Goodell
10-17-2019, 03:52 PM
I honestly believe that with the spectre of a SB appearance removed, fans are free to be less results biased. In other words for 3+ years now everytime something went wrong, the fans threw up their hands and said "stupid coaches are losing us a championship". No thought was given to process, only outcome. Now, since everyone figures the outcome is kinda crappy anyways, they are looking at the process.

That's pretty true. Honestly when I viewed this team as a super bowl contender with their starting QB running out of time, I viewed any loss really as underachieving, much more so when it came against a crappy team that they had no business losing to. A big part of the frustration, was the feeling that 'time was running out' for a championship. We had a 2-time super bowl winner at QB, two of the Killer B's that would both demand big paydays, so that super bowl window in my mind, existed as long as those 3 were together. I still had hope for last year since Conner was balling in place of Bell.

Since Ben went down, I took more of an 'oh well' attitude and was more looking for improvements and development in players rather than just wins. Of course, you want to see the wins, but now I'm no longer pissed off if the Steelers lose. Heck, before I was unable to call anything a 'good game' if the Steelers played well but lost it. But I could honestly say after the ravens game that it was a good game, but unfortunately we didn't win. We get em next time ;)

Expectations are down, but in a way, makes winning more exciting and losing less disappointing, when you don't go into games 'expecting' to win. Oddly enough, this season I've had more fun watching the Steelers than I've had in years (except for the first game which totally was horrible lol). I'm especially loving the new culture that they're building, the players all seem to be buying into the 'team first' attitude which makes them a lot more fun to cheer for.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2019, 05:33 PM
This is such a weird season. Expectations now are obviously lower than ever. Yes, our crappy record is part of it, but the real culprit is the loss of Ben. If we still had Ben I think you’d see the black and gold colored glasses come out, thinking we can still win the Super Bowl with Big Ben coming to the rescue.

It sucks too because I finally feel like we have a more talented defense than we’ve had in years. I’m now expecting splash plays and getting them.

But what makes it even weirder is that we can’t do what other fan bases with crappy seasons do, which is root for a bad record and a high draft pick.

I think the trade for Fitzpatrick had a doubly positive effect, it shored up a position of need and forced us to stay positive and root for the best record possible. Maybe Tomlin thought of that and is a genius to eliminate any incentives for losing... okay, I’m obviously kidding with that one... mostly:)

86WARD
10-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Maybe Conner needs to return to that dopey haircut?

Edman
10-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Wait. Wait. So removing AB and Ben means that the team has no expectations? Ok. Maybe on offense. But why is there suddenly no expectations on the defense? It is literally the same players plus significant upgrades in MFF, Bush, Nelson, and Barron.

Basically the only place that expectations should have ratcheted down is QB and WR. But, no one is talking about preparation and terrible coaches, etc day in and day out. I find it hard to believe that one player (AB) had that much impact on the 100+ people that make up a football team.

Is it possible that 2016-18 fan reactions were exaggerated and 2019 is a similar over-reaction in the other direction?

One player doesn't have much of an impact. But two do make much of an impact, and an even bigger impact when one of those is the franchise quarterback.

AB speaks for itself. He is an immense diva, but there is also the impact of Ben. While he isn't as cancerous as AB, Ben is quite a diva himself. He lacked true leadership and wanted 100% control of the Offense like a Peyton Manning, despite lacking the ability to run an offense of that kind. Its no slight on the guy, but that was never his style. Ben was never one to put in the extra work to become a more efficient and disciplined quarterback to put in the class of the NFL elite. Ben's style was as a daring gunslinger with immense talent, and he rode that talent to three Super Bowl appearances and two rings.

Ben thought himself as more than what he was, when the reality points to otherwise. He was never one to play complimentary football or help the team win. He wanted to be the heroic gunslinger. Racking up 300-400 passing yards in a winning effort. The Defense be damned. And for the most part, it worked, but there are many times, where it didn't work and failed miserably. Live by the sword and die by the sword. Combine Ben's renegade style with a talented diva WR like AB, it had the makings of a toxic brew that while fun to watch, made poison for the Steelers. Ben forced the ball to AB, at the detriment of the offense, as it would result in turnovers, or just nothing there at all. The Steelers, instead of playing winning football, were focused on how beefy they can jack up that stat sheet or get on the highlight reels. Look no further than all of the unnecessary deep shots on 3rd and short, when just a few yards would've been fine. But that's Ben's style of game. Boom or bust (Mostly Bust).

There were many times during the Haley years where the Steelers would brag in the offseason that their goal was 30 points a game. That should've been a red flag right there that the teams' priorities were in the wrong place, and they were not going to win. Scoring 30 points should not be the goal of a winning organization. Winning should be the goal. But we were too blinded by our black and gold sunglasses to see it. Thinking back, Is it really any shock that the Killer B Steelers were horribly undisciplined and didn't win anything? This is where the "Poor Coaching" thing comes in. Tomlin should've kiboshed that kind of talk, but likely by then it was already too late. The cancer was beginning to set in. Those teams were highly talented, but their culture was wholly selfish and self-destructive.

These 2019 Steelers do not have the talent, and may not even have the same level of success right now (or likely ever), but they are more cohesive as a team now. The Offense and Defense are not butting heads. The quarterback isn't a diva. They are complimenting each other. The Offense is focused on maintaining drives and the Defense gets them the ball back with turnovers. Instead of "Ben-AB will just solve everything". They won two of their last three after an 0-3 start and are starting to find out who they are, and Its only a matter of time before they start to gel for real. Let's hope its soon. Starting with the Dolphins.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-17-2019, 06:24 PM
This is such a weird season. Expectations now are obviously lower than ever. Yes, our crappy record is part of it, but the real culprit is the loss of Ben. If we still had Ben I think you’d see the black and gold colored glasses come out, thinking we can still win the Super Bowl with Big Ben coming to the rescue.

It sucks too because I finally feel like we have a more talented defense than we’ve had in years. I’m now expecting splash plays and getting them.

But what makes it even weirder is that we can’t do what other fan bases with crappy seasons do, which is root for a bad record and a high draft pick.

I think the trade for Fitzpatrick had a doubly positive effect, it shored up a position of need and forced us to stay positive and root for the best record possible. Maybe Tomlin thought of that and is a genius to eliminate any incentives for losing... okay, I’m obviously kidding with that one... mostly:) I have always rooted for wins every week even though when I knew the team was out of it. Rooting for losses for a high draft pick is a loser mentality and better left to Cleveland fans.

10-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Many good post summed it up in this topic. With all the injuries and being down this team is showing heart and it is fun to watch with all the young guys stepping up. D looking the best we seen in years is a big part plus as well.

NCSteeler
10-17-2019, 08:49 PM

I think the trade for Fitzpatrick had a doubly positive effect, it shored up a position of need and forced us to stay positive and root for the best record possible. Maybe Tomlin thought of that and is a genius to eliminate any incentives for losing... okay, I’m obviously kidding with that one... mostly:)Idk. A top 5 pick in round two ain't bad either

Steeler-in-west
10-18-2019, 11:45 AM
This team has had a habit of playing down to the competition for a number of years now. Let’s see if the pattern holds next Monday night. If it does, Tomlin and the coaching staff is right back in the limelight

Bluecoat96
10-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Since we traded a first rounder to Miami, you can bet they'll be gunning to beat us. That'll make the pick we traded that much better for them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

10-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Since we traded a first rounder to Miami, you can bet they'll be gunning to beat us. That'll make the pick we traded that much better for them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk But that would mean they are chancing their 1 overall pick of the draft.

Moose
10-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Sometimes I think New England set's OUR football tone. Being Steeler fan's we are always expecting a winning season,, every year a SB season, but ultimately fail. Either due to injuries, poor offense and/or defense, poor coaching, whatever. Then we settle for just a .500 season and maybe a Div.title. And at the same time there is the 'cheats' and Brady always sneaking out lucky calls and lucky wins. Whether there are injuries on that team or not, Belicheat puts together the unbelievable. Which puts some of us in the mindset that even if we did get to the play-offs, we'd be lucky to get thru Foxboro. So, therefore we figure....as long as we don't embarrass ourselves and get out of the games with no more injuries it's a game well played. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Steeler fan through and through, but as a fan for over 50yrs, I accepted the fact that the SteelCurtain is gone ( Lambert was my HERO), the OLD style of play is gone, and I just have to accept the softness of the sport now. I know someday we'll jell again and become a threat to the other teams and things will fall our way during some games.....especially when playing New England and finally get that damn monkey off our shoulders. Keep the Black/Gold faith ! ( who would have thought that some player's are spending more time at practice designing a 'dance' routine than actually practicing plays )

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2019, 04:12 PM
But that would mean they are chancing their 1 overall pick of the draft.

Yeah, that’s what I was gonna say. Their own first round pick is way more important to them, because that will get them their franchise QB.

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Idk. A top 5 pick in round two ain't bad either

Yeah but it will be really annoying to see that we traded away a top five pick, which makes that trade less good.

I know it’s all psychological at this point, but I can’t root for a high second round pick at the expense of wins (and at the expense of the best possible trade). Maybe you can say Minkah is a better bet than than the fifth pick in the draft... but I feel a lot better about the trade if it’s for the 20th pick in the draft.

I realize that’s weird sunk cost thinking, but it makes it easier for me to root for the best season possible.

I know that the psychological rooting game gets even more complicated for those that want to see coaches fired. That’s too many levels deep for me to think about.

Fire Goodell
10-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Idk. A top 5 pick in round two ain't bad either

rather it be a bottom 5 pick

NCSteeler
10-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Yeah but it will be really annoying to see that we traded away a top five pick, which makes that trade less good.

I know it’s all psychological at this point, but I can’t root for a high second round pick at the expense of wins (and at the expense of the best possible trade). Maybe you can say Minkah is a better bet than than the fifth pick in the draft... but I feel a lot better about the trade if it’s for the 20th pick in the draft.

I realize that’s weird sunk cost thinking, but it makes it easier for me to root for the best season possible.

I know that the psychological rooting game gets even more complicated for those that want to see coaches fired. That’s too many levels deep for me to think about.I would never route for that. But if it ends up that way it does

86WARD
10-18-2019, 07:39 PM

I know that the psychological rooting game gets even more complicated for those that want to see coaches fired. That’s too many levels deep for me to think about.

It doesn’t though because nothing they would draft in the Top-5 is going to be as good as Fitzpatrick. Who would they draft in the Top-5 that’s going to be that good?

10-18-2019, 10:31 PM
It doesn’t though because nothing they would draft in the Top-5 is going to be as good as Fitzpatrick. Who would they draft in the Top-5 that’s going to be that good? I think the recent Ramsey trade shows how good we made out trading for Minkah.

teegre
10-18-2019, 10:34 PM
It doesn’t though because nothing they would draft in the Top-5 is going to be as good as Fitzpatrick. Who would they draft in the Top-5 that’s going to be that good?

Chase Young would be better than Minkah. But, he won’t get past pick #2.

The QBs aren’t “that much” better than Rudolph.
Rudolph + Minkah > QB’20 + Davis

Delpit miiiiight be better than Minkah, but “a bird in the hand...”

SUMMATION:
:nod: We agree.

pczach
10-19-2019, 05:48 AM

SUMMATION:

Yep. Chase Young is going veeeery early.

Yetur Gross-Matos from Penn State would be interesting if he comes out early. 6 5" 265

I don't know if he can play in space, but A J Epenesa from Iowa is a beast on the edge. Seemingly unblockable at times. I'm assuming he comes out early as well. He's bigger than Gross-Matos, so he may be projected as a 4-3 DE, but he is a legit pass rusher.

Two guys to keep an eye on to play EDGE if they declare.

Shoes
10-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Anyone check out the TE class? :chuckle:

Dissolv
10-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Minkah is our first round draft pick next year. Just hold up a photo of him when it comes time, and know that the pick was not wasted. Plus we got to have him for most of a year ahead of time. :-P

Steeler-in-west
10-19-2019, 01:14 PM
I’m not sure where the best place was to post this but here goes: I agree with others saying teams are going load up the box moving forward this season daring us to throw.

so biggest challenge will be moving the ball and scoring. We’re missing a field stretcher at WR to open up juju and the other receivers. Unless moncrief or Johnson step up big the rest of the season will be a struggle. Can we pick someone up? I know Bryant is suspended and AB is in self imposed exile - but we are really missing that kind of talent. Even with our inexperience at QB, I think a field stretcher is the difference between 10-6 and 8-& or 7-9.

defense looks good

NCSteeler
10-19-2019, 01:28 PM
I really thought Holton could be the deep speed guy but it's just not showed up in the field. I really think they should find a way to get him more reps to get comfortable with Mason or Duck.

HollywoodSteel
10-19-2019, 02:52 PM
I’m really curious to see what the offensive game plan is against the Dolphins.

On the one hand, it’s a game we’re most likely to win without getting cute. If the offense plays conservative, mistake free football we probably give ourselves the best statistical chance of winning because there are less variables to let a lesser team get lucky.

On the other hand, given how bad the Dolphins are, this is probably our best opportunity to see what Rudolph can do and take some chances, since we can probably overcome a few mistakes.

So what would you do? Just do the smartest thing to get the W or give the offense the opportunity to try things, and possibly work out the bugs in the passing game that might yield bigger dividends down the road?

Personally, I think I’d take some chances and give our young QB the opportunity to grow. Because if we can’t beat the Dolphins, even with a few miscues, then what chance do we really have this season anyway?

Edman
10-19-2019, 03:24 PM
The Dolphins will be a tough game.

1) They are still a professional football team. Tanking or no.

2) They own the Steelers 2020 first round pick. Beating the Steelers makes that pick even better. The Steelers are trying to salvage their season, the Dolphins don't give a shit.

They will show up and play their best game all season. Hopefully the Steelers' Monday Night magic shows through.

HollywoodSteel
10-19-2019, 04:14 PM
The Dolphins will be a tough game.

1) They are still a professional football team. Tanking or no.

2) They own the Steelers 2020 first round pick. Beating the Steelers makes that pick even better. The Steelers are trying to salvage their season, the Dolphins don't give a shit.

They will show up and play their best game all season. Hopefully the Steelers' Monday Night magic shows through.

Well, the Dolphins have more to gain by their own number 1 pick being higher than the one they get from the Steelers. They are better off going 0-16 than getting a win against the Steelers

86WARD
10-19-2019, 04:55 PM

SUMMATION:

Are we convinced they would pick Young though? There’s more needs on the football team above DE but they do indeed love picking defensive players...

Craic
10-19-2019, 05:03 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. Old post

Born2Steel
10-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Well, the Dolphins have more to gain by their own number 1 pick being higher than the one they get from the Steelers. They are better off going 0-16 than getting a win against the Steelers

Dolphins get #1 overall pick by going 0-16 and also get the #2 overall pick from the Steelers for Minkah. THEN trade Josh Rosen for the #3 overall pick. PURE GENIUS!!!

DesertSteel
10-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Dolphins get #1 overall pick by going 0-16 and also get the #2 overall pick from the Steelers for Minkah. THEN trade Josh Rosen for the #3 overall pick. PURE GENIUS!!!
Rosen would garner no more than a 4th round pick at this point. But I see what you’re doing :)

Edman
10-19-2019, 10:57 PM
Tua just got his ankle busted against Tennessee. This just made Miami's tanking even more complicated.

Fire Goodell
10-20-2019, 01:34 AM
Tua just got his ankle busted against Tennessee. This just made Miami's tanking even more complicated.

Too bad nothing rhymes with Herbert lol

Six Rings
10-20-2019, 01:05 PM
Unless you lived in the Pittsburgh area, it was always a treat to watch a Steelers game in the 1980's. I think the fans bitched less back then. No web. No NFL Sunday ticket or bars showing the games

Edman
10-20-2019, 01:51 PM
The Dolphins currently leading Buffalo 14-9 at halftime.

Josh Allen may have a cannon of an arm and sling it downfield, but what good is it when you can't hit anything for shit. 6-15 for 90 yards. Maybe the Steelers should consider trading Rudolph for Allen in the future.

Six Rings
10-20-2019, 02:09 PM

We should get to 3-4, then good things can happen. But one loss when you're behind the 8 ball and 2-5...sounds like too deep of a hole. Point being our margin of error is very thin, and Tomlin coached teams tend to lose a game or two to sub .500 teams.

GoSlash27
10-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Minkah is our first round draft pick next year. Just hold up a photo of him when it comes time, and know that the pick was not wasted. Plus we got to have him for most of a year ahead of time. :-P

Agreed. Knowing what we knew about Minkah at the time of the deal and our positional needs, there is nobody we'd have wanted more than him in the first round. I'll even put on my :cool: and add "obviously". Had we kept our pick and used it on a DB just as good as Minkah, everyone would be raving about how awesome a pick he turned out to be. And the bonus (as you point out) is that we have him now.

Edman
10-20-2019, 03:32 PM
I mentioned earlier that the Dolphins need to be watched out for, but here come the Colts too. 4-2 and in sole possession of 1st place in the AFC South. Indy is starting to get it together under Brissett. They may go into Heinz and kick the Steelers in the face.

The once "winnable" schedule just got a helluva lot more difficult.

Mojouw
10-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Here is the thing. There are no "winnable" games on this team's schedule. The 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers are the "winnable" game for every team on their schedule.

Fair or not. Good to really good defense or not -- as soon as the other team puts on the tape of the offense, they are going to say "we got this".

Craic
10-20-2019, 04:18 PM
We should get to 3-4, then good things can happen. But one loss when you're behind the 8 ball and 2-5...sounds like too deep of a hole. Point being our margin of error is very thin, and Tomlin coached teams tend to lose a game or two to sub .500 teams.

Perhaps, but what I also found interesting is how well they played against the Chargers and the Bengals. I hate to say it, but maybe there's a little more on Ben for that record than we thought. That wouldn't, of course, excuse the defensive letdowns we've seen at times (unless they were on the field an extraordinary long time). But, I wonder going forward just how well we'll do against such teams.

Hawkman
10-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Here is the thing. There are no "winnable" games on this team's schedule. The 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers are the "winnable" game for every team on their schedule.

Fair or not. Good to really good defense or not -- as soon as the other team puts on the tape of the offense, they are going to say "we got this".

Even the Bengals?

Mojouw
10-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Even the Bengals?

Even the Bengals. It isn’t so much that I don’t think the Steelers can and will win a decent number of games the rest of the season, it is that I think every team is thinking they can beat them.

I actually don’t think the Dolphins or Bengals will beat the Steelers, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they did. Currently, the team has almost zero margin for error. One mistake on either side of the ball, and they might be in a hole too big for a limited and deliberate offense to overcome.

Edman
10-20-2019, 07:34 PM
Even the Bengals. It isn’t so much that I don’t think the Steelers can and will win a decent number of games the rest of the season, it is that I think every team is thinking they can beat them.

I actually don’t think the Dolphins or Bengals will beat the Steelers, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they did. Currently, the team has almost zero margin for error. One mistake on either side of the ball, and they might be in a hole too big for a limited and deliberate offense to overcome.

The Steelers lost to the 6-10 Broncos and the 4-12 Raiders last year with Ben and Antonio Brown in the lineup. Both losses proved critical to the team missing the playoffs last season. I don't think that makes much of a difference.

At least this season, the Steelers are guaranteed to be just as successful at the 2017 and 2018 teams, who didn't win a single playoff game.

Born2Steel
10-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Not sure I understand the thought here. All games are winnable. Yes the Steelers will need to play mostly mistake free football but I don’t see a game that is ‘un-winnable’ on the schedule.

AtlantaDan
10-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Predicted results are only as good as the underlying data & assumptions, but FWIW FiveThirtyEight projects a 7-9 record with the only projected easy win being Miami next Monday night. And that is based primarily upon stats with Josh Rosen rather than Fitzpatrick at QB for the Dolphins.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nfl-predictions/

That seems more than fair since so far the Steelers have beaten the 0-7 Bengals and a 2-5 Chargers team that is having a season from hell.

At some point Fichtner needs to take the training wheels off for Mason since this season is about whether the Steelers decide to lay out the $$$ for a long term contract for Rudolph, not some magical deep playoff run.

If that is impossible since the offensive scheme is little more than relying on Ben to make stuff happen then the Steelers are in a bind in what to do about Mason, since my guess is Ben plays in 2020 and the Steelers presumably would prefer to sign Mason to any long term deal prior to the start of the last year of his contract in the 2021 season.

Edman
10-20-2019, 11:11 PM
At some point Fichtner needs to take the training wheels off for Mason since this season is about whether the Steelers decide to lay out the $$$ for a long term contract for Rudolph, not some magical deep playoff run.

The training wheels have been taken off of Mason since Cincy. Mason is budget Brady. A risk-adverse quarterback who doesn't want to play hero and is perfectly okay taking whatever is there. He is not a deep shot gunslinger. Now is this what the Steelers want for their offense, then go ahead. Randy Fichtner wants to go deep (Ben's puppet), so something isn't working or matching up here.

Hawkman
10-21-2019, 02:36 AM
It’s amazing how many people here seem to have a complete picture of Rudolph’s current and future potential, based on three NFL starts. Can’t we just see if and how he develops. He certainly has the “field general” skills.

teegre
10-21-2019, 06:43 AM
The Ravens winning yesterday didn’t help us out any.

In two weeks, at worst, they will be 5-3... plus, one game up on us in the tie-breakers. Crud.

teegre
10-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Are we convinced they would pick Young though? There’s more needs on the football team above DE but they do indeed love picking defensive players...

The Dolphins? I’m confused who the “they” is. (My apologies.)

My intention was to say that Chase Young might be the only player that the Steelers would value over Minkah Fitzpatrick... and the Steelers won’t have a “top 2” pick (so, the Steelers have zero shot at getting him).

BTW (not necessarily to you, 86WARD)... the QB class is looking more & more average. Tua is hurt. Fromm has a whopping 37 passing yards. Herbert has looked inaccurate. Yep... gimme Rudolph & Fitzpatrick.

Mojouw
10-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Not sure I understand the thought here. All games are winnable. Yes the Steelers will need to play mostly mistake free football but I don’t see a game that is ‘un-winnable’ on the schedule.

Predicted results are only as good as the underlying data & assumptions, but FWIW FiveThirtyEight projects a 7-9 record with the only projected easy win being Miami next Monday night. And that is based primarily upon stats with Josh Rosen rather than Fitzpatrick at QB for the Dolphins.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nfl-predictions/

That seems more than fair since so far the Steelers have beaten the 0-7 Bengals and a 2-5 Chargers team that is having a season from hell.

If that is impossible since the offensive scheme is little more than relying on Ben to make stuff happen then the Steelers are in a bind in what to do about Mason, since my guess is Ben plays in 2020 and the Steelers presumably would prefer to sign Mason to any long term deal prior to the start of the last year of his contract in the 2021 season.

I am trying to get at what it seems the folks at 538 are also driving at. If you look at your schedule and don't see a great deal of easy to predict "wins" where you are the heavy favorite, then that means you are the "easily winnable" game on every other team's schedule.

That doesn't mean that you will not win a bunch of games. It just means you are the plucky underdog with no room for error.

86WARD
10-21-2019, 10:22 AM
The Dolphins? I’m confused who the “they” is. (My apologies.)

My intention was to say that Chase Young might be the only player that the Steelers would value over Minkah Fitzpatrick... and the Steelers won’t have a “top 2” pick (so, the Steelers have zero shot at getting him).

BTW (not necessarily to you, 86WARD)... the QB class is looking more & more average. Tua is hurt. Fromm has a whopping 37 passing yards. Herbert has looked inaccurate. Yep... gimme Rudolph & Fitzpatrick.

Sorry...”they” am the Steelers...

Fire Goodell
10-21-2019, 11:17 AM
The Ravens winning yesterday didn’t help us out any.

In two weeks, at worst, they will be 5-3... plus, one game up on us in the tie-breakers. Crud.

The final game of the season would be big. If we can sweep the browns and bengals we'd win the tie breaker if there's an even record. If we're anywhere between 1 game back or 1 game ahead with Baltimore in that last game, it's a winner take all match.

I mean there's a lot of if's in that equation, but it could happen. I'm not worried about the Bengals much, but @Cleveland will probably be a tough game, playing there on a Thursday

If the Ravens beat NE then it's likely the WC is the only shot since they'll likely run away with the division (they'll go 12-4 or better if they beat the Pats). But with how the AFC is going, 9-7 might do it. As of now, the top 2 wildcards would be Buffalo (5-1), and the Texans (4-3). Those are the only 2 teams in the AFC who aren't division leaders that are above .500, there's a logjam in the AFC. I think Buffalo is gonna eventually drop some games too, their offense is terrible. Not to mention to this point, they had a pattycake schedule. Wins were against terrible Jets, NYG, Bengals, Dolphins teams. Titans were the only team that could be remotely considered a quality win but they're a middle of the pack team.

DesertSteel
10-21-2019, 12:29 PM
I've always hated being in the position of hoping other teams lose so that your team can make the playoffs... It usually never works out for me.

TCB

AtlantaDan
10-21-2019, 02:18 PM
I've always hated being in the position of hoping other teams lose so that your team can make the playoffs... It usually never works out for me.

TCB

True - but at least three times it worked out for the Steelers

2015 - Jets and FitzMagic choke against the Bills in week 17 after beating the Pats in week 16

1989 - Steelers needed Giants, Colts & Bengals to all lose in week 17, which they did
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/01/03/Steelers-and-the-Playoffs-History-shows-miracles-can-happen-if-you-first-believe/stories/201001030213

1976 - Steelers needed the Raiders to beat the Bengals on Monday night in the next to last week of the season. The Raiders-Steelers rivalry was at its epic peak at that point and if the Raiders would have tanked the game they would have eliminated the team most likely to beat them in the playoffs. To their credit the Raiders did not "rest" anyone and beat the Bengals. I still despised the Raiders but gained a lot of respect for them not seeking to dodge the Steelers in the playoffs. Not every good deed is punished - Raiders beat the Steelers three weeks later and then stomped the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.

DesertSteel
10-21-2019, 03:33 PM
True - but at least three times it worked out for the Steelers

2015 - Jets and FitzMagic choke against the Bills in week 17 after beating the Pats in week 16

1989 - Steelers needed Giants, Colts & Bengals to all lose in week 17, which they did
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/01/03/Steelers-and-the-Playoffs-History-shows-miracles-can-happen-if-you-first-believe/stories/201001030213

1976 - Steelers needed the Raiders to beat the Bengals on Monday night in the next to last week of the season. The Raiders-Steelers rivalry was at its epic peak at that point and if the Raiders would have tanked the game they would have eliminated the team most likely to beat them in the playoffs. To their credit the Raiders did not "rest" anyone and beat the Bengals. I still despised the Raiders but gained a lot of respect for them not seeking to dodge the Steelers in the playoffs. Not every good deed is punished - Raiders beat the Steelers three weeks later and then stomped the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.
So, IOW, it'll be 13-26 years from 2015 before it happens again...

AtlantaDan
10-21-2019, 03:47 PM
So, IOW, it'll be 13-26 years from 2015 before it happens again...

Pretty much :chuckle:

teegre
10-22-2019, 07:02 AM
The final game of the season would be big. If we can sweep the browns and bengals we'd win the tie breaker if there's an even record. If we're anywhere between 1 game back or 1 game ahead with Baltimore in that last game, it's a winner take all match.

I mean there's a lot of if's in that equation, but it could happen. I'm not worried about the Bengals much, but @Cleveland will probably be a tough game, playing there on a Thursday

If the Ravens beat NE then it's likely the WC is the only shot since they'll likely run away with the division (they'll go 12-4 or better if they beat the Pats). But with how the AFC is going, 9-7 might do it. As of now, the top 2 wildcards would be Buffalo (5-1), and the Texans (4-3). Those are the only 2 teams in the AFC who aren't division leaders that are above .500, there's a logjam in the AFC. I think Buffalo is gonna eventually drop some games too, their offense is terrible. Not to mention to this point, they had a pattycake schedule. Wins were against terrible Jets, NYG, Bengals, Dolphins teams. Titans were the only team that could be remotely considered a quality win but they're a middle of the pack team.

True. For a while now, I’ve thought that the schedule-makers hit the nail on the head with the Steelers@Ravens in Week 17. It will likely decide the division.

The WC would be a more difficult feat, but as you stated: the AFC is a mess. So, a 9-7 record might just be enough.

Mojouw
10-22-2019, 12:46 PM
I honestly have a hard time getting this team past 6-7 wins. If you give the team wins in the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals and Cards games, that gets them to 6. It is fairly easy to predict the Rams and Colts as losses. That is 6-6.

So now you have 2 against the Browns and one with the Ravens. Say you split the Browns games (not a bad guess with a division opponent) and I don't think they beat the Ravens in their place. So now you are 7-8.

Leaves the Bills. Right now, I don't think the Steelers can beat the Bills. So 7-9.

Now, if the offense starts to consistently move the ball through the air and Rudolph becomes a weekly threat to get 200-250 yards with 2-3 TDS AND the defense doesn't fall off at all, then MAYBE you beat the Bills, sweep the Browns, and get to 9-7 or better.

But, it is just going to be so hard for the Steelers to do that with the current offense.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 01:50 PM
3 out of 4 of the toughest games on our schedule are at home. I think they go 2-2 vs the Bills, Ravens, Rams, Colts. If they do that, they can go 10-6.

The Rams don't really scare me, they're a ultra hot/cold team, but their weakness is protecting Goff. I think our pass rush can get to him. The Bills don't either, they played the softest schedule probably out of anybody in the NFL to date. They're going to start dropping L's soon. Baltimore we usually play them tough and I see us taking the final game. I have a good feeling we'll sweep the Browns and Bengals. I don't think Baker Mayfield is that dude, overrated.

The two games that worry me the most honestly are Indy and AZ. Indy is a strong overall team playing physical ball and good defense. That's the exact kind of team that seems to be our kryptonite (like the Jagofs). Arizona seems to be getting it together and could be one of those sleeper teams. Even though we've faced 2 mobile quarterbacks already, Kyler Murray is still pretty much an unknown.

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 02:13 PM
I honestly have a hard time getting this team past 6-7 wins. If you give the team wins in the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals and Cards games, that gets them to 6. It is fairly easy to predict the Rams and Colts as losses. That is 6-6.

So now you have 2 against the Browns and one with the Ravens. Say you split the Browns games (not a bad guess with a division opponent) and I don't think they beat the Ravens in their place. So now you are 7-8.

Leaves the Bills. Right now, I don't think the Steelers can beat the Bills. So 7-9.

Now, if the offense starts to consistently move the ball through the air and Rudolph becomes a weekly threat to get 200-250 yards with 2-3 TDS AND the defense doesn't fall off at all, then MAYBE you beat the Bills, sweep the Browns, and get to 9-7 or better.

But, it is just going to be so hard for the Steelers to do that with the current offense.

Okay, but if you’re right about this team then the record doesn’t even matter. If we don’t make the playoffs it
means that we aren’t a playoff caliber team and would die a quick death there anyway.

I think we finally have a defense that is an asset. They can make plays and generate turnovers. If we had that last year I think we would have had a playoff bye and a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

I don’t think we deserve to make the playoffs or have any shot of going anywhere playing the kind of weak-sauce offense that got us our two wins so far. That’s just not consistently workable playbook in the modern NFL. This season comes down to one thing: is Mason Rudolph a legit NFL franchise QB? Can he actually do what real QBs do?

If the answer is yes, then getting enough wins to make the playoffs actually matters. If not, at least we get Ben back next year and we’ll probably know if Rudolph truly has what it takes to be Ben’s successor.

I guess what I’m saying is, I only care about an extra win here or there to make the playoffs if we’re actually a team that has any chance at all of succeeding in the playoffs.

I like our defense but we aren’t the 2000 Ravens or the Jon Grudeb Bucs. We need more than a game manager to be a contender.

I mean, the Pats look like they do have a defense for the ages (at least statistically they have so far been as good as the 2000 Ravens, but I don’t know if that’s sustainable). But does anyone still think they are a Super Bowl contender if Brady goes down for the season? I don’t wish injury on anyone, but intellectually I’d really be interested in seeing how that scenario would play out.

Mojouw
10-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Okay, but if you’re right about this team then the record doesn’t even matter. If we don’t make the playoffs it
means that we aren’t a playoff caliber team and would die a quick death there anyway.

I think we finally have a defense that is an asset. They can make plays and generate turnovers. If we had that last year I think we would have had a playoff bye and a legit shot at the Super Bowl.

I don’t think we deserve to make the playoffs or have any shot of going anywhere playing the kind of weak-sauce offense that got us our two wins so far. That’s just not consistently workable playbook in the modern NFL. This season comes down to one thing: is Mason Rudolph a legit NFL franchise QB? Can he actually do what real QBs do?

If the answer is yes, then getting enough wins to make the playoffs actually matters. If not, at least we get Ben back next year and we’ll probably know if Rudolph truly has what it takes to be Ben’s successor.

I guess what I’m saying is, I only care about an extra win here or there to make the playoffs if we’re actually a team that has any chance at all of succeeding in the playoffs.

I like our defense but we aren’t the 2000 Ravens or the Jon Grudeb Bucs. We need more than a game manager to be a contender.

I mean, the Pats look like they do have a defense for the ages (at least statistically they have so far been as good as the 2000 Ravens, but I don’t know if that’s sustainable). But does anyone still think they are a Super Bowl contender if Brady goes down for the season? I don’t wish injury on anyone, but intellectually I’d really be interested in seeing how that scenario would play out.

I totally agree. Like I said if Rudolph grows into a QB that can go for 225+ yards and 2-3 TDs against anyone week in and week out, then game on. This team has a puncher's chance. If not, they are just a crappier version of the Tyrod Taylor Bills. Scuffle along and gut out a plucky 9-7 wild card berth and then get smoked in the playoffs by a superior team.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 03:43 PM
I totally agree. Like I said if Rudolph grows into a QB that can go for 225+ yards and 2-3 TDs against anyone week in and week out, then game on. This team has a puncher's chance. If not, they are just a crappier version of the Tyrod Taylor Bills. Scuffle along and gut out a plucky 9-7 wild card berth and then get smoked in the playoffs by a superior team.

Tyrod Taylor Bills almost beat the Jagoffs who smoked us

Mojouw
10-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Tyrod Taylor Bills almost beat the Jagoffs who smoked us

So by the transitive property of Steelers fan logic that means the Bills would have only sorta beat the Steelers? Doesn't matter is they still went out with a whimper in the wildcard round.

I remember that Jags-Bills playoff game, it set offensive football back 3 decades.

Fire Goodell
10-22-2019, 03:56 PM
So by the transitive property of Steelers fan logic that means the Bills would have only sorta beat the Steelers? Doesn't matter is they still went out with a whimper in the wildcard round.

I remember that Jags-Bills playoff game, it set offensive football back 3 decades.

No, I'm just saying that they didn't necessarily get smoked by a superior team, they made a game of it.

Heck this year, especially since we don't have a 1st round pick, I'm taking a playoff berth as a win, I don't care if it's 9-7 or one and done, especially considering the 1-4 start.

Edman
10-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Their "3-decade-ago" offense had no problem beating our "modern day" advanced super-duper professional NFL Offense. In Heinz Field. In the playoffs.

Fully Loaded. Ben, Antonio Brown, Bell, Bryant, Juju... Wasn't enough to beat Blake Bortles.

If Jacksonville had just "gotten with the times" like the Steelers did. The game isn't close.

HollywoodSteel
10-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Their "3-decade-ago" offense had no problem beating our "modern day" advanced super-duper professional NFL Offense. In Heinz Field. In the playoffs.

Fully Loaded. Ben, Antonio Brown, Bell, Bryant, Juju... Wasn't enough to beat Blake Bortles.

If Jacksonville had just "gotten with the times" like the Steelers did. The game isn't close.

Well, as I recall our offense scored a lot of points in that playoff game. It was our modern inept defense that lost to Blake Bortles in that one.

I would much prefer to have all the players on that offense back and healthy right now (to go along with our current talented and opportunistic defense). Wouldn’t you? Or do you think our current offense gives us a better chance at a championship?

Are you just a fan of old school, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, offense? I’m not really sure I understand why. I mean, you can always trot out the fact that we didn’t win Super Bowls with the killer Bs. I get that. Drew Brees hasn’t won a Super Bowl in a long time either. The Chiefs didn’t win last year. But that doesn’t really prove that old style, grind it out low scoring offense is somehow more effective in the modern NFL.

I guess I’m just really trying to understand your point, and if you could have any kind of offense right now, what would it look like?

Edman
10-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Well, as I recall our offense scored a lot of points in that playoff game. It was our modern inept defense that lost to Blake Bortles in that one.

Our scored a lot of points in that playoff game, after coughing up a Fumble Six and an ill-advised interception that put the Defense in a bad spot. I also recall a certain 4th and short attempt that failed. At least they all got their nice stat lines in a losing effort.

I would much prefer to have all the players on that offense back and healthy right now (to go along with our current talented and opportunistic defense). Wouldn’t you? Or do you think our current offense gives us a better chance at a championship?

Of course I would prefer it, but we don't have it. Our current Offense doesn't give us a better chance at a championship. None of them do, but our current Defense might.

Are you just a fan of old school, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, offense? I’m not really sure I understand why. I mean, you can always trot out the fact that we didn’t win Super Bowls with the killer Bs. I get that. Drew Brees hasn’t won a Super Bowl in a long time either. The Chiefs didn’t win last year. But that doesn’t really prove that old style, grind it out low scoring offense is somehow more effective in the modern NFL.

I want an offense that gets the job done. I want to see an Offense that does its part and compliments the Defense. Converts on possession downs and moves the ball. Every time the Steelers pretended to be the Greatest Show on Turf, they failed.

I guess I’m just really trying to understand your point, and if you could have any kind of offense right now, what would it look like?

It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me. I want an Offense that when it's 3rd and short in the 4th and they need to take time off the clock, can do it. An Offense that can make plays when its needed the most. An Offense that is very good on 3rd down. An Offense than can convert in the clutch.

AtlantaDan
10-22-2019, 06:12 PM
It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me. I want an Offense that when it's 3rd and short in the 4th and they need to take time off the clock, can do it. An Offense that can make plays when its needed the most. An Offense that is very good on 3rd down. An Offense than can convert in the clutch.

More Wildcat and passes that average 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage! :chuckle: :drink:

Born2Steel
10-22-2019, 06:57 PM

The season became a long shot in week 2 when Ben was lost for the season. Playing close games against SF(1st), Seattle(2nd), and Balt(1st) in 3 of our losses give a bit of hope. It's still going to be an uphill battle but anything can happen in this league. Players make plays and that funny shaped ball takes some weird bounces. I'm not seeing a SB run this year but I could see a winning season. Possibly even a WC game at the end.

Being able to run the ball is huge. Keep moving the chains and giving the other guys fewer opportunities. The passing game needs to open up. Defense has played well.

PalmerSteel
10-23-2019, 07:24 AM
take week 1 away, we shot ourselves in the foot on the other 3 losses which could have EASILY been wins without young mistakes that could be corrected over the bye. All 4 teams that beat us are SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS and ranked in the top 10. We can hang with anyone (Besides new england, lol). Like others mentioned, we play better at home and our tougher games are at home. difference between 2-4 and 5-1 is a few fumbles and when we got our boy from Miami. but i get it, we are what our record says we are. Fix things during this bye to not shoot own feet, which is totally doable, and we have a good chance to win the division still!

teegre
10-24-2019, 07:04 AM
take week 1 away, we shot ourselves in the foot on the other 3 losses which could have EASILY been wins without young mistakes that could be corrected over the bye. All 4 teams that beat us are SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS and ranked in the top 10. We can hang with anyone (Besides new england, lol). Like others mentioned, we play better at home and our tougher games are at home. difference between 2-4 and 5-1 is a few fumbles and when we got our boy from Miami. but i get it, we are what our record says we are. Fix things during this bye to not shoot own feet, which is totally doable, and we have a good chance to win the division still!

^^THIS^^

Steeler-in-west
10-24-2019, 10:31 AM

so we’re basically relying on Rudolph’s arm to get us into the playoffs:

sounds like a plan

GoSlash27
10-24-2019, 11:37 AM

sounds like a plan

Is it really a 'plan' if you have no alternative?

Born2Steel
10-24-2019, 12:19 PM
There are always options. A strong defense and a strong run game opens many doors.

Mojouw
10-24-2019, 12:23 PM

sounds like a plan

You have to. You are not getting in to the playoffs lining up in the I formation with two TEs and slamming Conner/Samuels/Snell into 8-9 man boxes. There are just not enough ways to "clever" that up so you confuse an NFL defense. That 3rd down option run they did with Hodges against the Chargers was cool and fooled several defenders. It ain't working again.

The Steelers can lean on the run. Attempt to shorten games and not expose Rudolph any more than they have to. But he is going to have come up big on drive extending 3rd downs (I think they are converting like 20-25% right now), he is going to have to throw well enough to back teams out of the tackle box.

Does it have to be a "Rudolph centered" game plan? Nope. But he has to be "scary" enough that actual NFL defenses focus on taking something away besides Conner. Right now, why any defense in the league would do anything besides load up to stop the run and invite Rudolph to try and win the game throwing the ball is beyodn me.

Edman
10-24-2019, 01:20 PM
I’m curious as to what that means to use Rudolph’s “arm”. What does that mean exactly? Deep bombs to Johnny Holton on 3rd and 6? Or a dink and dunk passing game in line with what we seen against the Bengals?

The Patriots hammered the Jets with barely any throws going past ten yards.

Steeler-in-west
10-24-2019, 02:34 PM
I’m curious as to what that means to use Rudolph’s “arm”. What does that mean exactly? Deep bombs to Johnny Holton on 3rd and 6? Or a dink and dunk passing game in line with what we seen against the Bengals?

The Patriots hammered the Jets with barely any throws going past ten yards.

Using the passing game enough to keep moving the chains and keep the defense from loading the box.

Steeler-in-west
10-24-2019, 02:52 PM
You have to. You are not getting in to the playoffs lining up in the I formation with two TEs and slamming Conner/Samuels/Snell into 8-9 man boxes. There are just not enough ways to "clever" that up so you confuse an NFL defense. That 3rd down option run they did with Hodges against the Chargers was cool and fooled several defenders. It ain't working again.

The Steelers can lean on the run. Attempt to shorten games and not expose Rudolph any more than they have to. But he is going to have come up big on drive extending 3rd downs (I think they are converting like 20-25% right now), he is going to have to throw well enough to back teams out of the tackle box.

Does it have to be a "Rudolph centered" game plan? Nope. But he has to be "scary" enough that actual NFL defenses focus on taking something away besides Conner. Right now, why any defense in the league would do anything besides load up to stop the run and invite Rudolph to try and win the game throwing the ball is beyodn me.

right, guess it’s going to be a bit of a learning process for him: needs to learn to go through his check downs, avoid locking onto receivers, aside from one or two moderate to deep throws ( wide open Johnson on the left side against cinci) haven’t seen much yet. Couldn’t be a better first game back than Miami at home to test things out...

Mojouw
10-24-2019, 03:00 PM
right, guess it’s going to be a bit of a learning process for him: needs to learn to go through his check downs, avoid locking onto receivers, aside from one or two moderate to deep throws ( wide open Johnson on the left side against cinci) haven’t seen much yet. Couldn’t be a better first game back than Miami at home to test things out...

Agreed. Just avoid X. Howard's side and thing should be okayish?

DesertSteel
10-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like forever since the Steelers played??

Fire Goodell
10-24-2019, 04:40 PM

Yep. I personally don't think a team should play the monday game following a bye week. it's just too long

AtlantaDan
10-24-2019, 04:54 PM

And this is after a win. :chuckle:

If the stomping by the Chargers I anticipated had happened the 2 week wait would have been worse.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2019, 09:40 AM

I agree the steady ration of de facto running plays that go into the stats as dump passes needs to end and more actual down the field passes need to be called (or thrown if Rudolph has been hesitant to pull the trigger)

But Bouchette in The Athletic had an interesting data point (paywalled) that indicates maybe the OL became so tuned in to pass blocking that it simply is no longer very good at blocking for the run

They have produced just 459 yards rushing through six games, an average of 76.5 per game, to rank 26th...

A popular theory is that defenses are clogging players around the line of scrimmage to stop the run because of the young quarterbacks, — a tactic commonly known as putting eight men in the box. However, statistics don’t back that theory, at least not those kept by the NFL’s Next Gen Stats. Of players with at least 40 carries, Conner is in the bottom half of running against eight men (or more) in the box. He has done so 16.22 percent of the time. That compares to Buffalo’s Frank Gore at 38.37 percent and Jacksonville’s Leonard Fournette at 34.72 percent.

The problems with the running game go back to at least November of last year and I do not recall teams putting 8 in the box against Ben, AB and JuJu.

So it may may go back to running most everything out of the shotgun. This from Fichtner on trying to run consistently out of that formation

Offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner was asked what the benefits might be of running the ball out of the shotgun formation.

“I don’t know that there is,’’ Fichtner said. “It might make you a little different team because you’re playing in up-point stances by offensive linemen. Then when you get into other situational kinds of football, you’re in down stances. So, if you’re spending most of your time up, you’re not doing as much down. When you put them down, maybe it’s not as comfortable for them.

https://theathletic.com/1319095/2019/10/25/steelers-search-for-answers-as-their-run-game-hits-new-lows/

Steelers have been given 2 weeks to figure it out with the bye and Dolphins are 31st in rushing defense (which could be skewed by Miami consistently being out of games early and teams trying to run clock with the lead in the second half).

With those stats not certain Monday night is the game Fichtner will open it up although waiting to do it against the Colts and Rams defense seems dubious to me.

Born2Steel
10-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Just get the win. QB sneaks and bubble screens if that gets the job done. I really don’t care if the final score is 3-0. Put this game in the ‘W’ column.

There! Now what I think the Steelers should be capable of doing offensively vs just win the damn game. I think the Steelers should be able to run effectively behind our OL as well as get deep and move the chains through the air with the Dolphins secondary down to 2nd/3rd string guys. So...first get the win.

Dissolv
10-25-2019, 10:33 AM
I figure that they get one more game ('fins) to sort themselves out. So expect a lot of fairly safe play calling, but with maybe a glimmer or two of an idea that there is further down the field than 3 yards. But they need to have success with their opportunities for medium or even (gasp!) long passes, but the coaches are only going to give the new QB and the anemic WR core just so many chances. After this week, it becomes tougher to "experiment", and people have to start executing. Or at least trusting the players to execute.

That's where it could all prove to be a pipe dream. As good as our defense is looking like it might be, the offense has regressed to well below par. Some ginger handling by the coaches is probably very appropriate if they aren't tanking the season, which they clearly are not.

Mojouw
10-25-2019, 11:09 AM
I agree the steady ration of de facto running plays that go into the stats as dump passes needs to end and more actual down the field passes need to be called (or thrown if Rudolph has been hesitant to pull the trigger)

But Bouchette in The Athletic had an interesting data point (paywalled) that indicates maybe the OL became so tuned in to pass blocking that it simply is no longer very good at blocking for the run

They have produced just 459 yards rushing through six games, an average of 76.5 per game, to rank 26th...

A popular theory is that defenses are clogging players around the line of scrimmage to stop the run because of the young quarterbacks, — a tactic commonly known as putting eight men in the box. However, statistics don’t back that theory, at least not those kept by the NFL’s Next Gen Stats. Of players with at least 40 carries, Conner is in the bottom half of running against eight men (or more) in the box. He has done so 16.22 percent of the time. That compares to Buffalo’s Frank Gore at 38.37 percent and Jacksonville’s Leonard Fournette at 34.72 percent.

The problems with the running game go back to at least November of last year and I do not recall teams putting 8 in the box against Ben, AB and JuJu.

So it may may go back to running most everything out of the shotgun. This from Fichtner on trying to run consistently out of that formation

Offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner was asked what the benefits might be of running the ball out of the shotgun formation.

“I don’t know that there is,’’ Fichtner said. “It might make you a little different team because you’re playing in up-point stances by offensive linemen. Then when you get into other situational kinds of football, you’re in down stances. So, if you’re spending most of your time up, you’re not doing as much down. When you put them down, maybe it’s not as comfortable for them.

https://theathletic.com/1319095/2019/10/25/steelers-search-for-answers-as-their-run-game-hits-new-lows/

Steelers have been given 2 weeks to figure it out with the bye and Dolphins are 31st in rushing defense (which could be skewed by Miami consistently being out of games early and teams trying to run clock with the lead in the second half).

With those stats not certain Monday night is the game Fichtner will open it up although waiting to do it against the Colts and Rams defense seems dubious to me.

I totally agree on the offensive line stuff. I don't know the cause, but I am certain that this line is and has been a far far better pass blocking line than a run blocking line for years now. Just look at the struggles in short yardage the last handful of years.

I didn't know the stuff about low % of runs into a loaded box. Interesting...what are defenses guarding against?

I think they have to slowly open things up. Find things that Rudolph is comfortable doing. And then add like one more thing per week. The team basically did this in Ben's rookie year. I am by no means saying throw it downfield with reckless abandon, but they are going to have to eventually move plays beyond 0-3 yards of the line of scrimmage. If not, defenses are going to just compress down into that area and it is going to get really difficult really quickly.

Also, Rudolph has to make quicker decisions. He misses openings that are there for the taking because he is either not working through progressions quick enough, or not recognizing that the receiver is "NFL Open" and just letting it rip.

PalmerSteel
10-30-2019, 06:57 AM
After the ratbirds lose to the Cheatriots and we beat the colts because we will have the home crowd fired up, we are still in the thick of things!

NCSteeler
10-30-2019, 08:34 AM
I totally agree on the offensive line stuff. I don't know the cause, but I am certain that this line is and has been a far far better pass blocking line than a run blocking line for years now. Just look at the struggles in short yardage the last handful of years.

I didn't know the stuff about low % of runs into a loaded box. Interesting...what are defenses guarding against?

I think they have to slowly open things up. Find things that Rudolph is comfortable doing. And then add like one more thing per week. The team basically did this in Ben's rookie year. I am by no means saying throw it downfield with reckless abandon, but they are going to have to eventually move plays beyond 0-3 yards of the line of scrimmage. If not, defenses are going to just compress down into that area and it is going to get really difficult really quickly.

Also, Rudolph has to make quicker decisions. He misses openings that are there for the taking because he is either not working through progressions quick enough, or not recognizing that the receiver is "NFL Open" and just letting it rip.According to football insiders we are #1 pass blocking name #22 run blocking line.

AtlantaDan
10-30-2019, 09:03 AM
According to football insiders we are #1 pass blocking name #22 run blocking line.

Monday night was encouraging but Dolphins were ranked 31st against the run going into the game.

Indy currently ranked 20th and Rams ranked 14th in defensive rushing yards per game, so depending on injuries Steelers hopefully will have some success running against the Colts

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2019&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG

pczach
10-30-2019, 10:57 AM

The only problem with Bouchette's logic is that LeVeon Bell wanted out or outrageous money because he was used too much. I don't buy it.

Also, the run blocking looked much better when Foster left the game. It certainly isn't a definitive answer to anything, but it got my attention how much better the OL played...particularly in the second half.

Also, it was Miami, so I don't want to overreact to one game.

It's a chicken/egg thing. It seems to me that the running game became less and less effective, particularly in short yardage situations. This team could not drive block to gain a yard to save their lives. This goes back several years. The passing game needed to be successful to set up the running game more and more often. They never seemed to be able to just line up and punch the ball into the endzone either.

I don't have all the answers. I'm sure it was a combination of a lot of factors that contributed to the difficulties running the ball in important situations. I just don't subscribe to the notion that the offensive line forgot how to run block because they didn't run block enough. I believe the team was forced to pass the ball more because the offensive line became less effective at lining up and imposing their will on defenses in the running game.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2019, 03:18 PM
The only problem with Bouchette's logic is that LeVeon Bell wanted out or outrageous money because he was used too much. I don't buy it.

Also, the run blocking looked much better when Foster left the game. It certainly isn't a definitive answer to anything, but it got my attention how much better the OL played...particularly in the second half.

Also, it was Miami, so I don't want to overreact to one game.

It's a chicken/egg thing. It seems to me that the running game became less and less effective, particularly in short yardage situations. This team could not drive block to gain a yard to save their lives. This goes back several years. The passing game needed to be successful to set up the running game more and more often. They never seemed to be able to just line up and punch the ball into the endzone either.

I don't have all the answers. I'm sure it was a combination of a lot of factors that contributed to the difficulties running the ball in important situations. I just don't subscribe to the notion that the offensive line forgot how to run block because they didn't run block enough. I believe the team was forced to pass the ball more because the offensive line became less effective at lining up and imposing their will on defenses in the running game.

I agree that it is a bit of a stretch to say they FORGOT how to unblock. I have to assume they practice doing it every week.

I really haven't analyzed how we've tried to run it, but do you think part of it has been scheme? Like, are we more successful with certain types of runs vs. others? For example, when Decastro pulls and whatnot?

We got quite a few yards on the ground Monday night, but I heard on some podcast that our success rate with Rosie Nix in there was really bad. I kind of watched the game on my phone here and there so I didn't really see details of most plays. Was Nix bad or was he not the problem? I seem to recall on the third and one that Nix blocked his guy but there was still a defender right in the hole to stop the play.

And is it just me who hates that we run it out of the shotgun so often when we only need a yard? I realize that it probably works more often than I notice, because I seem to notice every time it fails. This isn't really anything new. I seem to recall Haley doing that a lot as well.

Born2Steel
10-30-2019, 05:25 PM
If a QB gets a pass for his awful half due to coming off a concussion, I think a FB should also get that same pass after coming back from knee injury. Let’s wait and see how Nix does the next few games.

86WARD
10-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Nix was not any problem on Monday. He was actually a HUGE benefit if you actually watched him. Several of those long runs were broken off because of Nix and his blocking.

teegre
10-31-2019, 06:55 AM
Nix made some beautiful blocks. On other runs, the defense followed Nix’s lead block, while Conner broke it outside (which is how misdirection is supposed to work).

Nix was a plus in this game.

steel striker
10-31-2019, 09:30 AM
Yeah Nix made a real difference in the run game and, hopefully this will continue.

PalmerSteel
11-01-2019, 10:59 AM
if we don't beat the next 2 teams at home, then we deserve the record we got and to write this season off. without a doubt should win these with the crowd behind us and Pittsburgh weather against warm weather teams

Fire Goodell
11-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Rosovelt Dix, the dongblocker only makes dong blocks. The big he-man did very little other than titty-joust and play pussy-paw-paw against opposing linebackers.