PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall hitting his stride

polamalubeast
09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
PITTSBURGH – Mike Tomlin might’ve been happy to see the Steelers’ next opponent, the Baltimore Ravens, allow 144 yards rushing to Peyton Hillis last Sunday.
But he wasn’t.

“The fact that Cleveland had success a week ago doesn’t bode well for us,” said the Steelers’ coach. “It just doesn’t.”

Rashard Mendenhall, who’s had his shoulder blade broken trying to run against the Ravens, felt the same way.

“Yeah,” said Mendenhall. “You know defenses like that. They’re going to bounce back.”

That’s the thinking, but it’s not an historical fact. Last year, after Cedric Benson rushed for 120 yards against the Ravens in Week 5, Adrian Peterson ran for 143 against them in Week 6. The Ravens also allowed back-to-back 100-yard rushers in 2005.

Does that give Mendenhall any comfort?

“I really don’t pay attention to that,” he said. “Every Sunday’s a new Sunday. I’m not looking forward or expecting anything like that, I’m just preparing.”

The serious-minded Mendenhall understands the ferocity of this rivalry. He felt it as a rookie when Ray Lewis broke his scapula. He felt it last year when the Ravens held him to 36 yards on 17 carries in the Steelers’ 23-20 win in Game 15.

But Mendenhall did find success in last season’s first meeting between the two teams. He rushed for 95 yards in 24 carries when Dennis Dixon filled in for Ben Roethlisberger in a Steelers loss at Baltimore. It was the best performance by a Steelers back against the Ravens since Jerome Bettis rushed for 118 yards in 2004.

read more

http://cle.scout.com/2/1007331.html

JonM229
09-29-2010, 09:09 PM
That's nothing a little separated shoulder can't fix

NJarhead
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
That's nothing a little separated shoulder can't fix
Low blow Jon, low blow.

I'd say we'd knock Ed Reed out of the game again but that pussy isn't playing anyway.

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
i guess we should have the cart ready for mcgahee again?

steelpride12
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Ya guess we gotta get Hines to drop Reed, or Clark to end Mcgahee's nights. Or the Steelers to win three games in the 08' season against the Rats and win our 6th Lombardi staring at your 1. 6>1, Pittsburgh> Homicideimore.

GBMelBlount
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
“Yeah,” said Mendenhall. “You know defenses like that. They’re going to bounce back.”

That’s the thinking, but it’s not an historical fact. Last year, after Cedric Benson rushed for 120 yards against the Ravens in Week 5, Adrian Peterson ran for 143 against them in Week 6. The Ravens also allowed back-to-back 100-yard rushers in 2005.

Really, you can only find two instances in five years and THAT disproves Mendenhalls statement by "historical fact"?

LOL. Ummm, OK.

Regardless, Mendenhall and our line is looking good so I hope this is the third time in 5 years!

Psycho Ward 86
09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
i guess we should have the cart ready for mcgahee again?

Make that a couple dozen carts for both teams....

solardave
09-30-2010, 02:47 AM
QUOTE=Devilsdancefloor;64391]i guess we should have the cart ready for mcgahee again?[/QUOTE]

Like I said "Willis,:dizzy: meet Ryan" Oh I see you've already met."

Galax Steeler
09-30-2010, 03:21 AM
It would be nice to find the running game against the Ravens and play some Steeler football. If we can control the clock we should come out a winner.

PalmerSteel
09-30-2010, 07:18 AM
man, i love these games. both sides just beat the living daylights out of each other. i am sure this will be no different. i dont think any other games can come even close to how these 2 teams beat each other up. i give the ravens credit. they bring it year in and year out and dont fold. makes for exciting football. exciting steeler ball anyway.

BigNastyDefense
09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Mendy can go for 100+ on the Ravens. Trevor Pryce won't be playing so that helps, he's good against the run. We have to make sure we get Ngata blocked, which won't be easy because he doesn't always line up in the same place, and not always with his hand down on the ground. When that big dude has a running start, it's "oh shit" because that's a load coming you're way.

One thing to do is keep going with the run game. The Ravens will make stops for no gain or negative gain. Part of the problem is that happens a few times and teams give up on running the football.

It also helps to have a lead fullback helping to clear the way. Lawrence Vickers of the Browns was a big part of Cleveland's big day rushing in Baltimore.

I say that Mendy has 120 at least on the Ravens this Sunday.