PDA

View Full Version : Heroes/Goats vs LA

Edman
10-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Steelers win and keep their season alive.

Heroes: Steelers Defense, Duck, Conner, Steelers Nation.

Goats: Randy Fichtner, Artie Burnt

Born2Steel
10-13-2019, 10:22 PM
How does Fichtner get a goat with a 4th string QB? Not to mention backup WRs.

Gameballs to the OL, run game, defense, coaches, and Steeler fans in LA.

Steelers win so no goats! 2-4 HERE WE GO!!!

st33lersguy
10-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Heroes: Defense 1st 3 quarters dominated, Watt was great, Bush first 3 quarters dominated, Hodges overall handled himself well, Conner dominated, and Snell actually did a good job running, Cam Sutton was awesome too, Jordan Berry had a great night punting, OL did some great run blocking, best game all year they had

Goats: 4th quarter defense soft numerous missed tackles and penalties, 4th quarter Bush in particular couldn't tackle to save his life, Dan McCullers, honestly I have no idea why he is still on the roster, and then Fichtner, running game is going strong and you need to run the clock out, sure enough Fichtner is throwing the ball, and then he decides to upchuck the ball deep downfield and give the Chargers life because he's an idiot. Get a better OC next offseason.

Born2Steel
10-13-2019, 10:28 PM
Heroes: Defense 1st 3 quarters dominated, Watt was great, Bush first 3 quarters dominated, Hodges overall handled himself well, Conner dominated, and Snell actually did a good job running, Cam Sutton was awesome too, Jordan Berry had a great night punting, OL did some great run blocking, best game all year they had

Goats: 4th quarter defense soft numerous missed tackles and penalties, 4th quarter Bush in particular couldn't tackle to save his life, Dan McCullers, honestly I have no idea why he is still on the roster, and then Fichtner, running game is going strong and you need to run the clock out, sure enough Fichtner is throwing the ball, and then he decides to upchuck the ball deep downfield and give the Chargers life because he's an idiot. Get a better OC next offseason.

Rewind that deep pass. Look at the throw. On the money. DB made a play. Steelers WIN idiot. Celebrate!

GoSlash27
10-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Heroes: Watt, Bush, Haden. Honorable mention: Steeler Nation.

Goats: Maurkice Pouncey. What's up with those snaps, dude?

st33lersguy
10-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Rewind that deep pass. Look at the throw. On the money. DB made a play. Steelers WIN idiot. Celebrate!

How about not upchucking the ball deep when you need to run out the clock and are picking up nice run gains. Also did you not bother to read all of my game balls, and don't call other posters idiots

AtlantaDan
10-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Situational football - you are running the ball well - maybe good change of pace call in tie game or down

Up 21 with 10 minutes to go when the clock just needs to run down - not so much

Duck of course still gets game ball along with defense and Conner

86WARD
10-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Game Balls: Conner, Duck, Run Blocking, Defense. Extra GBs to Cam Sutton, TJ Watt and Devin Bush. Benny Snell gets to hold one but can’t keep it.

Goats: Holton. He sat back waiting on that pass from Duck instead of going after it. Butler still has some work to do on defense and aid like to see more creativity (aka the Duck Run) in the run game at the end to close it out...

Need to see better finishers!! Like Cam!!

Here’s hoping that Tuitt was held out as a precaution!

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Berry gets a game ball. Maybe his best game ever.

Hawkman
10-13-2019, 10:47 PM
I know this will be popular but I give honorable mention to STs.

Holton’s Downing at the one. Sutton’s fielding the onside. Bos perfect. Berry damn near perfect.

GoSlash27
10-13-2019, 10:48 PM

STs rocked out tonight. Dynamite play.

Edman
10-13-2019, 10:51 PM
How does Fichtner get a goat with a 4th string QB? Not to mention backup WRs.

It's what he did with the 4th string QB and the backup receivers. Upchucking a vomit ball in a game where your Offense is severely limited and needs any kind of momentum and confidence in a big road game with the season on the line. The team's season is hanging in the balance. Now is not the time to play offensive genius.

But enough of that.

fansince'76
10-13-2019, 10:57 PM
Watching Dupree get knocked on his butt by a WR was embarrassing...

steelreserve
10-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Offensive line and Conner basically carried this game for us. All-around good effort by the defense, most visibly Watt, Fitzpatrick and Bush, but really everybody.

Jesus Christ, how many people got hurt tonight and how badly? It seemed like every single player who was having a good game for us ended up on the bench by the end.

AtlantaDan
10-13-2019, 11:05 PM
One more hero - the Steelers crowd that took over the mini me Chargers stadium

Steelers needed every edge they could get tonight and IMO the crowd helped energize the defense when it seized control of the game in the begining

Goat - the NFL owners relocating the Chargers to a location where they have no fans after San Diego would not be extorted for mega-$$$ and currently are playing in a joke of a soccer stadium where the markings from last night’s soccer game were still on the field. If the league was about anything other than squeezing out every last nickel it would be embarassed

steelreserve
10-13-2019, 11:20 PM
One more hero - the Steelers crowd that took over the mini me Chargers stadium

Steelers needed every edge they could get tonight and IMO the crowd helped energize the defense when it seized control of the game in the begining

Goat - the NFL owners relocating the Chargers to a location where they have no fans after San Diego would not be extorted for mega-$$$ and currently are playing in a joke of a soccer stadium where the markings from last night’s soccer game were still on the field. If the league was about anything other than squeezing out every last nickel it would be embarassed

While San Diego is not the biggest sports town compared to other cities, that was such crap. Like - they could have probably spent $100 million fixing up the old stadium and gotten another 20 years out of it.

Compared to the other examples of previous-generation stadiums from the '60s through the '80s, that one really had nothing wrong with it. Like, compared to Candlestick Park, or the Oakland Coliseum after they fucked it up for the Raiders ... shit, that place was great.

But no, it is not about merely having a decent and profitable place to watch a game - it must be an Experience. I never really understood the need for that as a fan; once you are at your seat inside a stadium or arena and watching the game, the experience is identical, no matter how much other random crap they slapped on the walls.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Berry gets a game ball. Maybe his best game ever. That one kick was awesome so good call mentioning him.

DesertSteel
10-13-2019, 11:43 PM
Hero: Benny Snell football and the defense.

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 12:01 AM
Benny Snell football!

Steeler-in-west
10-14-2019, 12:17 AM
Defense and offensive line. OL came alive, where were they first few weeks?

Also, as good as the D was, will breath easier when Nelson returns and burns goes back to the bench.

Steeldude
10-14-2019, 01:44 AM

Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif

Craic
10-14-2019, 02:12 AM
While San Diego is not the biggest sports town compared to other cities, that was such crap. Like - they could have probably spent $100 million fixing up the old stadium and gotten another 20 years out of it.

Compared to the other examples of previous-generation stadiums from the '60s through the '80s, that one really had nothing wrong with it. Like, compared to Candlestick Park, or the Oakland Coliseum after they fucked it up for the Raiders ... shit, that place was great.

But no, it is not about merely having a decent and profitable place to watch a game - it must be an Experience. I never really understood the need for that as a fan; once you are at your seat inside a stadium or arena and watching the game, the experience is identical, no matter how much other random crap they slapped on the walls.

Well, the "experience" is for the two or so hours spent before the game walking around dropping money on concessions and other stupid things before it even begins. If a quarter of the people did that and dropped 10 dollars each (not too much of a reach now-a-days), that 15-20 thousand people for a total of 150-200 thousand dollars. And, that's just for those eight weeks. There's a ton of other events that go along with it.

I'm not saying I think it is a good idea, just pointing out why it might appeal to owners.

- - - Updated - - -

It's what he did with the 4th string QB and the backup receivers. Upchucking a vomit ball in a game where your Offense is severely limited and needs any kind of momentum and confidence in a big road game with the season on the line. The team's season is hanging in the balance. Now is not the time to play offensive genius.

But enough of that.

And, we know that's his call how? On top of which, despite what pencil-neck Bengholio said, it wasn't a bad throw at all. I place as much fault on the receiver who should have blocked out the DB coming up from behind him and then made the catch. But, that's a rookie WR mistake as well. So, lesson learned.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif

The wr blocked him from the side when he definitely wasn’t expecting it. Then the receiver went on to make the actual catch. It looked kind of like a Hines Ward move. It was a great all around play by the wr.

BlackAndGold
10-14-2019, 05:57 AM
Some of my thoughts.

Thank god that next week is a bye week. Great win but this team crawled to the finish line due to injuries. Sure Hope Tuitt's injury isn't serious, was playing at an All-Pro level.

Devin Bush is a star, yes he struggled a bit in the 2nd half but a rolled ankle isn't fun to play with. Watt is incredible also, he owned Sam Levi.

Extremely happy for Hodges. From a undrafted free agent try out to starting a NFL game and winning. Incredible. He's not an NFL starter Imo, but he can be a solid backup for years to come.

Not much to complain about but Sutton should have started over Burns. That man is a flat out baller, Give him more PT please.

Also, I feel for JuJu. Not getting the ball nearly enough. Just hope the rest of the NFL fans around the league don't watch the box score and think he's not playing well. Hopefully after the bye they'll start getting the ball to him.

teegre
10-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Back in 2003, Alex Spanos offered to pay for the entire stadium rebuild... if the city would sell him the land under the stadium. Spanos has a plan to build an activity center (much like the one in Arizona).

The city was like: “Eff you... we are gonna build that stuff.”

It’s been 16 years.

SUMMATION:
The city has done a great job of making Spanos appear to be the bad guy. Kudos to them.

Oh, and I’m glad that I’ll never have to watch another game at The Murph. The toilets routinely backed up (due to bad plumbing). I was at the Jets-Chargers playoff game (2004 season). When it started to rain, the stairs started crumbling: chunks of cement were breaking off. After that, I never sat in the upper sections; I only sat in the “field” level with nothing above me (for fear that the upper levels would collapse on top of the lower sections).

Butch
10-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Hero's - The D all around great game. Bush, Watt, Sutton, Hadden, Dupree. On O Conner, the O-line in general. Special Teams had a very good game. The crowd in LA was Steelers from the very start. Did they really sing Renegade? LOL Mad props to the crowd in L.A.
I have to say probably the best officiated game we have had in a loooong time.

Goat - Cheap shots by the Chargers late in the game and what was up with phil rivers at the end of the game grabbing Hilton's jersey?

AtlantaDan
10-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Thank god that next week is a bye week. Great win but this team crawled to the finish line due to injuries. Sure Hope Tuitt's injury isn't serious, was playing at an All-Pro level.

This postgame quote from Heyward in the linked paywalled article does not sound encouraging

“I am hoping it’s not as bad as … we will see what happens. He is a key part of this defense and my running mate. I will go to war with him every day. I don’t know what is going to happen. I am praying that he will take some time off and come back to us, but we will see.”

https://theathletic.com/1290755/2019/10/14/kabolys-thoughts-grades-steelers-dust-off-old-school-football-to-beat-chargers/

pczach
10-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Heroes- Everyone gets to be a hero for a day! I thought Hodges did just fine. He executed the game plan very well. Conner was a beast. Benny Snell did very well while Conner was out. The OL play was dominant tonight. The defense was lights out until they lost Haden, Tuitt, and Watt. Bush was also banged up in the second half. Where has this version of Berry been hiding for the last few years? Special teams played very well in general. A great overall team win while undermanned from a ton of injuries. All coaches did a great job game planning and getting the team ready to play.

Goats- None

To those of you bashing the offensive coordinator, he's the guy that came up with the game plan that helped them win the game with the third-string QB. Was he perfect? No. Was he responsible for every single negative thing that happened on offense? No, he was not.

Let's just enjoy a great win on the road, on the west coast, and with a banged up roster. Good job by all.

Mojouw
10-14-2019, 09:42 AM
I actually think you could give Fichtner and Sean Sarrett (Sp?) a game-ball for totally reworking the running game on the fly. They changed blocking schemes, alignments, and packages for this week. There was a lot of stuff we haven't seen the Steelers run in some time. Even had some stuff out of the pistol.

That and it was good to see the defensive staff adjust to Tuitt going out by playing Hargrave more at DE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Holton’s Downing at the one. Sutton’s fielding the onside. Bos perfect. Berry damn near perfect.

So Danny Smith was awesome, in addition to Keith Butler!!

When defense and ST sucks, its those guys that get the blame. Since that great performance last night, does that mean fans are now giving them the praise that is due to them?

- - - Updated - - -

This postgame quote from Heyward in the linked paywalled article does not sound encouraging

“I am hoping it’s not as bad as … we will see what happens. He is a key part of this defense and my running mate. I will go to war with him every day. I don’t know what is going to happen. I am praying that he will take some time off and come back to us, but we will see.”

https://theathletic.com/1290755/2019/10/14/kabolys-thoughts-grades-steelers-dust-off-old-school-football-to-beat-chargers/

worst case scenario is torn pec. Could it maybe be a strain?

AtlantaDan
10-14-2019, 10:14 AM

When defense and ST sucks, its those guys that get the blame. Since that great performance last night, does that mean fans are now giving them the praise that is due to them?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe can rehab without surgery and return at some point next month :noidea:

Guess we will find out in Tomlin's media conference (does he have one in bye weeks?) or if something leaks via twitter

In 2017 Tuitt injured his arm on like the second or third play of the season opener against Cleveland and was thought to be lost for the season. He returned in a few weeks and played the season with a partially torn bicep but was diminished the entire season

I keep waiting for Tuitt to have his breakthrough season after signing his big contract but injuries keep getting in the way

Hawkman
10-14-2019, 10:23 AM

I am certainly giving them praise for last night. Particularly in adjusting when guys on D went down. Alualu did a commendable job, given his increased roll when Tuitt went down. Not sure he can keep that up for the rest of the season, so I really hope Tuitt’s injury is not season ending.

Mojouw
10-14-2019, 10:32 AM
I am certainly giving them praise for last night. Particularly in adjusting when guys on D went down. Alualu did a commendable job, given his increased roll when Tuitt went down. Not sure he can keep that up for the rest of the season, so I really hope Tuitt’s injury is not season ending.

I think it is possible that we saw another component of the "answer" for an extended Tuitt absence. Hargrave kicked out and played a decent number of snaps at DE. McCullers got a bit of run at NT. I think in certain situations and packages, that grouping is actually a better answer than a simple swap of Alualu for Tuitt.

While I certainly hope, Tuitt is healthy and ready to play for the rest of the season, it is encouraging to (finally) see the team getting a bit creative in covering up injuries.

steel striker
10-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Game balls the defense Watt, Bush the DB's front line outing pressure on Cry me A River. Duck played real well took the defense gave him and, Conner had a good game. Like it was posted Berry the punter that was his best game ever.

tube517
10-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Did anyone see Keenan Allen last night after he torched us last year???

*ahem* 2 catches 33 yds *ahem*

(Although Double H had a day)

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 11:06 AM

It could be, although defensive linemen seem to get torn pectoral muscles A LOT.

My (limited) understanding of the injury is that if it's torn, you can tell right away. But that even a strain is no joke, as you are at MUCH higher risk of tearing it until it is fully healed, which could take a month or two.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is possible that we saw another component of the "answer" for an extended Tuitt absence. Hargrave kicked out and played a decent number of snaps at DE. McCullers got a bit of run at NT. I think in certain situations and packages, that grouping is actually a better answer than a simple swap of Alualu for Tuitt.

While I certainly hope, Tuitt is healthy and ready to play for the rest of the season, it is encouraging to (finally) see the team getting a bit creative in covering up injuries.

To me, this was a no-brainer ... Hargrave is not a Nose Tackle with a capital N and a capital T, he is simply a good defensive lineman. He really can play either position in a 3-4 scheme. So it is good to see him finally getting on the field more, although the reason for it sucks.

stillers4me
10-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Watching Dupree get knocked on his butt by a WR was embarrassing...Like Hines used to do? [emoji38]

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Big Dan actually played well too, I laughed at the play where the center whiffed on him, how do you miss a block on someone that massive lol

pczach
10-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Big Dan actually played well too, I laughed at the play where the center whiffed on him, how do you miss a block on someone that massive lol

It was his cat-like quickness!

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Is there maybe the slightest chance Hodges threw that deep pass INT ‘Without’ Fichtner’s blessing? OR because that pass was thrown and picked it’s the coach’s fault? Not every play goes the way the OC draws it up.

pczach
10-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Is there maybe the slightest chance Hodges threw that deep pass INT ‘Without’ Fichtner’s blessing? OR because that pass was thrown and picked it’s the coach’s fault? Not every play goes the way the OC draws it up.

Of course there is. Every play has a progression. You have your first read, second read, etc.... It's a combination of the defense that they are playing, and the coverage.

Anybody that looks at a pass play that isn't a screen of some kind can't blame all negative outcomes on the play call. Sure OC's make bad calls, but so do quarterbacks. The throw may have even been the appropriate play, and the defender just made a great play on the ball.

Fichtner gets handed the keys to the car last year. The problem is that Bell held out the entire season, and AB was and is crazy. Neither guy is here, and he loses Ben early in the second game, and Rudolph shortly after that. To crush this guy under these circumstances is just silly. They put up a ton of points last year, even with all the nonsense and missing pieces. Let's get everyone healthy and give Fichtner more time to show us what he could do when his hands aren't tied behind his back.

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Of course there is. Every play has a progression. You have your first read, second read, etc.... It's a combination of the defense that they are playing, and the coverage.

Anybody that looks at a pass play that isn't a screen of some kind can't blame all negative outcomes on the play call. Sure OC's make bad calls, but so do quarterbacks. The throw may have even been the appropriate play, and the defender just made a great play on the ball.

Fichtner gets handed the keys to the car last year. The problem is that Bell held out the entire season, and AB was and is crazy. Neither guy is here, and he loses Ben early in the second game, and Rudolph shortly after that. To crush this guy under these circumstances is just silly. They put up a ton of points last year, even with all the nonsense and missing pieces. Let's get everyone healthy and give Fichtner more time to show us what he could do when his hands aren't tied behind his back.

Agreed. Fans that continue to blast these guys are just being idiots, IMO. ALL WEEK reading how at least Duck’s not afraid to air it out. He airs one out and it gets picked. Same fans, “Fichtner SUCKS!” Just frustratingly idiotic.

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Agreed. Fans that continue to blast these guys are just being idiots, IMO. ALL WEEK reading how at least Duck’s not afraid to air it out. He airs one out and it gets picked. Same fans, “Fichtner SUCKS!” Just frustratingly idiotic.

I think the INT was on him, he ultimately made the decision to throw the ball there. Also looking at last week, he threw a pick that was negated by a penalty, and threw another would-be INT that the receiver broke up. This kid's better as a game manager because if asked to win it with his arm, he will turn the ball over.

Maybe someday he'll be a playmaker in the NFL, but at this current stage he's better off managing the game. He did show he can do that. For a backup QB, I'll take it! But with that said, Mason is still the man going forward.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2019, 12:54 PM

I agree with the comments of PCZACH in that its a progression, so sure it is.

Hodges scouting report from college shows his 26TD passes, with 14 INT's. Comments are that when he doesn't have his feet set, that throws can get away on him. I look at the underthrow to JuJu on what might have been planned as a back shoulder throw and there is some lack of accuracy/judgement at times. Its why he is projected as a guy that can develop into an NFL #2 QB. He did well, with a gameplan that was run heavy and careful passing. The defense and O line really stepped up on the road to support a guy that was the #4 QB.

I was actually pleased to see some positive running from Snell, but he still doesn't show the balance at contact that I hoped he would. He is a between the tackles runner and IMO could run stronger, since he doesn't have any real quickness to his game.

Mojouw
10-14-2019, 12:59 PM
For the game plan and throwing deep thing...it worked out this week. If the Steelers don't absolutely dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage early, they lose that game. If the game was 5 minutes longer, they lose.

Right now, Hodges and Rudolph give you such a limited array of offensive options, that as soon as a defense makes any adjustments, you really don't have anything to pivot to that isn't a gimmick. That is why we have seen wildcat, runs that option to a QB keeper, and a boatload of passes to RBs.

Does that mean that Rudolph and Hodges are terrible? No. It means they are still learning how to do things at an NFL level. It is going to be ugly looking for awhile.

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Back in 2003, Alex Spanos offered to pay for the entire stadium rebuild... if the city would sell him the land under the stadium. Spanos has a plan to build an activity center (much like the one in Arizona).

The city was like: “Eff you... we are gonna build that stuff.”

It’s been 16 years.

SUMMATION:
The city has done a great job of making Spanos appear to be the bad guy. Kudos to them.

Oh, and I’m glad that I’ll never have to watch another game at The Murph. The toilets routinely backed up (due to bad plumbing). I was at the Jets-Chargers playoff game (2004 season). When it started to rain, the stairs started crumbling: chunks of cement were breaking off. After that, I never sat in the upper sections; I only sat in the “field” level with nothing above me (for fear that the upper levels would collapse on top of the lower sections).

I had only been to the stadium a handful of times before they vacated it, so I guess you know it better than I ... it seems like basically every old stadium develops plumbing issues at some point, and they used to just fix them, but now they use it as a bargaining chip for a brand new stadium superplex.

I am probably in the minority here, but to me there is a certain appeal to being at a ballpark and not a curated Fan Experience. I've been to plenty of the new-style stadiums (the one in Arizona among them) and basically my impression is that they want everything including the parking lot to be Buffalo Wild Wings. Heinz Field actually strikes a pretty good balance with that, so that you can take it or leave it, but there is not much value in it to me.

Of course, overhauling the old stadium for a tenth of the cost does not include any nine-figure land development deals, since there is apparently a ton of money to be made building crowded shopping centers where you can overpay for a loud and disappointing dinner and have a couple of $13 premium margaritas.

I do not really view the city government of San Diego as anything more than incompetent shills who love grandstanding for some kind of invisible virtue-signaling points. Did you know they're spending $2 billion to recycle used toilet water into the drinking water? Done deal. I'm told it's for our own good.

Hawkman
10-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Will you quit with the logic already.:chuckle:

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 03:57 PM

I think a lot of the blame on Fitchner is misdirected ... he has been here for basically a total gutting of the offense and replacement with new unproven players, so it is no wonder our performance is down. Plus, people have been bitching to no end about every offensive coordinator since Whisenhunt, so it is half background noise at this point.

I think I am realizing today that - while it was a little unexpected to see such a conservative game plan on offense - the reality is that if we had run an ordinary game plan, we probably would have had three turnovers.

Unlike many backups, Hodges CAN throw the ball, but if he does, we are taking a big gamble. As someone else said, he has some learning to do before he figures out what is a good throw in the NFL or not. A lot of backup QBs get scared by that and never recover. So Hodges' boldness is good in that it should allow him to get there. It just is not going to happen overnight, and as long as we are still trying to win games, going for broke will not help with that.

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 04:52 PM
I agree with the comments of PCZACH in that its a progression, so sure it is.

Hodges scouting report from college shows his 26TD passes, with 14 INT's. Comments are that when he doesn't have his feet set, that throws can get away on him. I look at the underthrow to JuJu on what might have been planned as a back shoulder throw and there is some lack of accuracy/judgement at times. Its why he is projected as a guy that can develop into an NFL #2 QB. He did well, with a gameplan that was run heavy and careful passing. The defense and O line really stepped up on the road to support a guy that was the #4 QB.

I was actually pleased to see some positive running from Snell, but he still doesn't show the balance at contact that I hoped he would. He is a between the tackles runner and IMO could run stronger, since he doesn't have any real quickness to his game.

I think what Snell showed in college running against SEC defenses shows he has a lot more to his game than what we have seen so far. He’s a rookie. I have seen a few young players this season miss a play. Whether Snell running, Johnson pass catching, or Bush tackling. They are where they need to be mostly. Let them get some weight room time, conditioning experience, and pick their pace up to speed and IMO those guys will be very good to great NFL players.

86WARD
10-14-2019, 04:57 PM
Am I the only one who still thinks Snell looks slow? He did look like he started to get going but I feel that was more because of the o-line than anything Snell was doing?

pczach
10-14-2019, 05:30 PM
I think a lot of the blame on Fitchner is misdirected ... he has been here for basically a total gutting of the offense and replacement with new unproven players, so it is no wonder our performance is down. Plus, people have been bitching to no end about every offensive coordinator since Whisenhunt, so it is half background noise at this point.

I think I am realizing today that - while it was a little unexpected to see such a conservative game plan on offense - the reality is that if we had run an ordinary game plan, we probably would have had three turnovers.

Unlike many backups, Hodges CAN throw the ball, but if he does, we are taking a big gamble. As someone else said, he has some learning to do before he figures out what is a good throw in the NFL or not. A lot of backup QBs get scared by that and never recover. So Hodges' boldness is good in that it should allow him to get there. It just is not going to happen overnight, and as long as we are still trying to win games, going for broke will not help with that.

Yep. I just don't think Fichtner has had anything close to a full arsenal to work with. When you are tailoring game plans to 3rd string undrafted rookie QBs, you deserve some leeway. The results aren't always going to be pretty.

Hodges and Rudolph are developing. They aren't a finished product. All will be revealed in time.

Butch
10-14-2019, 05:39 PM
What was up with Pouncey last night? Some of his snaps were beyond horrible. I give major props to Duck Hodges for being able to chase down the bad long snap and having the good sense to get rid of the ball out of bounds to save a HUGE loss of yardage. His performance was the single Goat performance of the game IMHO. Was he injured if so then at least I could understand it.

10-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one who still thinks Snell looks slow? He did look like he started to get going but I feel that was more because of the o-line than anything Snell was doing? He gets better with more reps in a game but yea he is no Chris Johnson.

10-14-2019, 05:53 PM
What was up with Pouncey last night? Some of his snaps were beyond horrible. I give major props to Duck Hodges for being able to chase down the bad long snap and having the good sense to get rid of the ball out of bounds to save a HUGE loss of yardage. His performance was the single Goat performance of the game IMHO. Was he injured if so then at least I could understand it. That was a smart play for a rookie in his first start on Prime time.

Craic
10-14-2019, 11:08 PM

This is dead on, I think. Well, except for Hodges'. It should be Hodges's. :chuckle:

(And yeah, that rule changed back in the early 2000s for most style guides).

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Am I the only one who still thinks Snell looks slow? He did look like he started to get going but I feel that was more because of the o-line than anything Snell was doing?

Looks slow, he is. His 40 time was something like a 4.65 at the combine, which puts him in the Issac Redman category. I expected him to run hard between the tackles and be difficult to take down. Only seen glimpses of that.

Craic
10-15-2019, 12:51 AM
Looks slow, he is. His 40 time was something like a 4.65 at the combine, which puts him in the Issac Redman category. I expected him to run hard between the tackles and be difficult to take down. Only seen glimpses of that.

inb4 "Suddenness and Glide"

teegre
10-15-2019, 07:07 AM
I had only been to the stadium a handful of times before they vacated it, so I guess you know it better than I ... it seems like basically every old stadium develops plumbing issues at some point, and they used to just fix them, but now they use it as a bargaining chip for a brand new stadium superplex.

I am probably in the minority here, but to me there is a certain appeal to being at a ballpark and not a curated Fan Experience. I've been to plenty of the new-style stadiums (the one in Arizona among them) and basically my impression is that they want everything including the parking lot to be Buffalo Wild Wings. Heinz Field actually strikes a pretty good balance with that, so that you can take it or leave it, but there is not much value in it to me.

Of course, overhauling the old stadium for a tenth of the cost does not include any nine-figure land development deals, since there is apparently a ton of money to be made building crowded shopping centers where you can overpay for a loud and disappointing dinner and have a couple of $13 premium margaritas.

I do not really view the city government of San Diego as anything more than incompetent shills who love grandstanding for some kind of invisible virtue-signaling points. Did you know they're spending $2 billion to recycle used toilet water into the drinking water? Done deal. I'm told it's for our own good.

For game purists (for lack of a better word) I get your point. That said, how many people go to games for the actual game anymore? Really. I’d say at best it’s 15%.

But, let’s assume that it is 100%. So, we just a re-vamp Jack Murphy. Well, that area would sit unused for 357 days a year. Whereas, just like how Petco Park turned a run-down portion of the city into a hub for entertainment (every single day of the week), I gotta day that having an area like that in Mission Valley would have been a GREAT thing.

Alas, as you stated: our local/city government is awful.

steelreserve
10-15-2019, 10:42 AM
For game purists (for lack of a better word) I get your point. That said, how many people go to games for the actual game anymore? Really. I’d say at best it’s 15%.

But, let’s assume that it is 100%. So, we just a re-vamp Jack Murphy. Well, that area would sit unused for 357 days a year. Whereas, just like how Petco Park turned a run-down portion of the city into a hub for entertainment (every single day of the week), I gotta day that having an area like that in Mission Valley would have been a GREAT thing.

Alas, as you stated: our local/city government is awful.

You are right, people are less and less into the game and more into all the other bullshit, which I don't really understand, but it's why I'm in the minority.

For that matter, I still visit Las Vegas for the gambling and cheap drinks, whereas apparently the thing to do now is skip the casino, go to a nightclub and drop $1,500 a person on bottle service in the VIP area and post about it on Instagram, and then during the day you hang out next to the pool without going in the pool. Jesus Christ, I sound like a cranky old man, but I'm not even that old. Millennials are idiots.

Anyway, the point is, I guess I get what they're trying to do, but it's not that exciting to me. I don't really think Petco Park is that special, although I can't say what the area around it was like before. Reminds me a lot of the area around AT&T Park, if that's still what they call the place where the SF Giants play. Formerly a crappy neighborhood, today still a crappy neighborhood but with restaurants and bars, and just enough of that element that makes you wonder if the next person you walk past might decide to randomly mug you. Oh yeah, and no real place to park, which means NO TAILGATING. Unless by tailgating you mean hanging out with the 650 people packed elbow-to-elbow into Bro-ski's Brewhouse, desperately trying to flag down someone to get your one $12 beer. What the hell is even the point of having ONE beer? But that's all you're going to get with how crowded it is. But hey, the waitresses are all wearing home team jerseys, so it's fun! I guess that's the tailgating equivalent of $1,500 bottle service in the VIP area, but it's all that's left since they took the other kind away. Thanks, Millennials. GOD, I sound like a grouch.

I remember reading somewhere that the average stadium hosts an incredible number of events, something like 150-200 days a year. That was when combined baseball-football stadiums were more common, but football is only like 10 of those counting preseason. I don't know what the other 100 events were other than concerts and monster trucks, maybe stuff like flea markets and gun shows or something. It's not the same type of thing to do as the little downtown stadium promenade bullshit, but hey, I don't really go down there for that either, so who cares. Not me, that's who.

SUMMATION: Now there's no football team in San Diego because of millennial nightclub bullshit.

AtlantaDan
10-15-2019, 11:06 AM
You are right, people are less and less into the game and more into all the other bullshit, which I don't really understand, but it's why I'm in the minority.

Agreed - I simply do not get laying out $$$ for high priced tickets to a NFL game and then not actually watching the game on the field - but I am old :chuckle:

I posted this in another thread, but when I was at the Seattle game last month there was a group of what appeared to be 20s/early 30s age fans seated near me who spent most of the third quarter in the concessions/lounge area for club level rather than watching the game from what was a good view of the field.

It was not a matter of taking that long to get to the rest room and get something to drink for the second half (after going to Heinz a few times I figured out that is an explanation for a lot of the empty yellow seats for the second half kickoff you see on TV) since they were ahead of me in the line at the bar when I bought a beer for the second half and got back to my seat for kickoff

Those are dream customers for the team - buy the tickets then spend lots of $$ on drinks with marked up prices

That is one hell of a cover charge to go to a sports bar

steelreserve
10-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Agreed - I simply do not get laying out $$$ for high priced tickets to a NFL game and then not actually watching the game on the field - but I am old :chuckle:

I posted this in another thread, but when I was at the Seattle game last month there was a group of what appeared to be 20s/early 30s age fans seated near me who spent most of the third quarter in the concessions/lounge area for club level rather than watching the game from what was a good view of the field.

It was not a matter of taking that long to get to the rest room and get something to drink for the second half (after going to Heinz a few times I figured out that is an explanation for a lot of the empty yellow seats for the second half kickoff you see on TV) since they were ahead of me in the line at the bar when I bought a beer for the second half and got back to my seat for kickoff

Those are dream customers for the team - buy the tickets then spend lots of $$ on drinks with marked up prices

That is one hell of a cover charge to go to a sports bar

It really seems like some kind of weird generational thing where your status is raised by spending ludicrous amounts of money on nothing, just to say how much you spent.

Like, I have a step-former-half-sister or something (not really sure what the correct term is) who is about 10 years younger than me, and it's like all she and her friends used to talk about was how they spent $1,100 a person to do this one weekend, and $3,800 to do that, and I'm like ... how did you spend that much money to go drink on a boat for a few hours or whatever, it doesn't even sound like what you were doing was that much fun, it just cost a lot.

I don't hear about those people as much anymore, so I have no idea if they're still like that, but man, what are you DOING.

Born2Steel
10-15-2019, 12:06 PM
On the stadium conversation...I have a friend that went to a home Cowboys game. He said between the different ads and other things going on on the jumbotron and all the entertainment and lounge areas all around the concourse it was easy to forget there was even a football game going on. And I’m pretty sure it was a Cowboys-Giants game so even a division rivalry game took a backseat for many of the people there. I don’t get the appeal either. So much cheaper and easier and more comfortable to watch games at home with family and friends.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 12:42 PM
It really seems like some kind of weird generational thing where your status is raised by spending ludicrous amounts of money on nothing, just to say how much you spent.

True. Its the narcissism of social media. Many find the value of their experience is dependent on how luxurious it looks on Instagram. They care more of how the game affects their appearance to others online. Where as people like you, Atlanta Dan and others, just want to watch the game and enjoy the experience of watching live NFL football.

steelreserve
10-15-2019, 02:13 PM
True. Its the narcissism of social media. Many find the value of their experience is dependent on how luxurious it looks on Instagram. They care more of how the game affects their appearance to others online. Where as people like you, Atlanta Dan and others, just want to watch the game and enjoy the experience of watching live NFL football.

That's the part that I have difficulty understanding. Yes, social media has clearly made lots of people ultra-focused not necessarily on being happy, but on appearing to be happy, and that's not rocket science. I just don't get the desire to appear like you're throwing around tons of money for stupid shit ... like, dude, I KNOW you're not a VIP who hangs out at nightclubs with celebrities - you're a fucking database administrator and you're wasting money on shit that isn't even fun compared to what you can get for like fifty or a hundred bucks by actually, you know ... participating in it. You could be rolling around in pigshit for free and having a good time, and that would make more sense to me than all the people who are forcing smiles onto their faces while they spend money in order to be seen spending money, because they think that's what you're supposed to do.

Mojouw
10-15-2019, 02:42 PM

That's the part that I have difficulty understanding. Yes, social media has clearly made lots of people ultra-focused not necessarily on being happy, but on appearing to be happy, and that's not rocket science. I just don't get the desire to appear like you're throwing around tons of money for stupid shit ... like, dude, I KNOW you're not a VIP who hangs out at nightclubs with celebrities - you're a fucking database administrator and you're wasting money on shit that isn't even fun compared to what you can get for like fifty or a hundred bucks by actually, you know ... participating in it. You could be rolling around in pigshit for free and having a good time, and that would make more sense to me than all the people who are forcing smiles onto their faces while they spend money in order to be seen spending money, because they think that's what you're supposed to do.

Multiple studies have shown that the "Like" feature on social media is as addictive and dopamine focused as recreational narcotics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is that you are not an addict. Just like non-addicts can't understand people hooked on meth; many of us can't understand people hooked on the 'gram.

AtlantaDan
10-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G on the craptastic Chargers temp stadium setup

The NFL should be embarrassed for having the Chargers playing in a soccer stadium in L.A., where they obviously have no fan base. It was, for all intents and purposes, a Steelers home game. But beyond that, everything was minor league with the whole experience there. The NFL should have done better. After covering a game there I can't believe that was the best the NFL could do for one of its 32 teams. But no one in the league will say a thing. All the owners care about is their money. No one will ever say a word about teams moving because all owners want that option.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/10/15/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-10-15-19/stories/201910150097

Aside from the Chargers having no fans and playing in a stadium that is comparable to that of top tier high school teams in Texas, I noted on one of the Chargers TDs where the receiver got his feet down in the back of the end zone that the groundskeepers could not even get down a clear line where the back of the end zone was.

But the the owners are glad to cash the checks for the $654 million (!) relocation fee the Chargers paid to relocate from San Diego to LA

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/rams-chargers-raiders-nfl-relocation-fees

Edman
10-15-2019, 04:46 PM
The 49ers fans vastly outnumbered the Rams fans last Sunday. This is all despite a season coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, the Rams Fan support in LA is lackluster and has no teeth.

The Los Angeles experiment is looking more and more like a bust each year. There’s a reason why the Rams left for a smaller market in St.Louis in the first place. Los Angeles is a terrible football town.

steelreserve
10-15-2019, 05:11 PM
The 49ers fans vastly outnumbered the Rams fans last Sunday. This is all despite a season coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, the Rams Fan support in LA is lackluster and has no teeth.

The Los Angeles experiment is looking more and more like a bust each year. There’s a reason why the Rams left for a smaller market in St.Louis in the first place. Los Angeles is a terrible football town.

I guess after 20 years they forget.

The Raiders could work in L.A., but that's it. They were SUPER popular there when I lived there for a couple years, like almost on the level of the Dodgers and the Lakers, and then they left over stupid shit because Al Davis was a moron. But they're still popular.

Nobody in L.A. gives a shit about the Rams, and nobody anywhere is ever going to give a shit about the Chargers. What they should've done if they were smart was have the Raiders go to L.A., the Chargers go to Vegas (which would be the perfect home for that kind of team), and the Rams, whatever. They could be the first London team for all I care, which is about the same as anyone in Los Angeles cares.

Bottom line, they really fucked up by giving the brush-off to the Raiders, and I doubt football is going to be very successful there for the next 20 years either.

Butch
10-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Ray Fittipaldo of the P-G on the craptastic Chargers temp stadium setup

The NFL should be embarrassed for having the Chargers playing in a soccer stadium in L.A., where they obviously have no fan base. It was, for all intents and purposes, a Steelers home game. But beyond that, everything was minor league with the whole experience there. The NFL should have done better. After covering a game there I can't believe that was the best the NFL could do for one of its 32 teams. But no one in the league will say a thing. All the owners care about is their money. No one will ever say a word about teams moving because all owners want that option.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/10/15/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-10-15-19/stories/201910150097

Aside from the Chargers having no fans and playing in a stadium that is comparable to that of top tier high school teams in Texas, I noted on one of the Chargers TDs where the receiver got his feet down in the back of the end zone that the groundskeepers could not even get down a clear line where the back of the end zone was.

But the the owners are glad to cash the checks for the $654 million (!) relocation fee the Chargers paid to relocate from San Diego to LA

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/rams-chargers-raiders-nfl-relocation-fees

To the bolded portion I absolutely agree and said the same thing to my son when it happened. there was not a clear defined line. Absolutely ridiculous.

As for the fanbase in LA the NFL is getting what it deserves. Fans for opposing teams are the only ones showing up in force. If they would ever put a team here in San Antonio they would have a rebid fanbase. This is the only place where the AAF had record numbers of fans turning out for every game. The last game they played had 30,000 in attendance and that was only 2,000 short of the average turn out for these same chargers last year. I know it will never happen Jerry won't let it, but there are MUCH better places than LA. where a team would get support.

GoSlash27
10-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Multiple studies have shown that the "Like" feature on social media is as addictive and dopamine focused as recreational narcotics.

The reason it doesn't make sense is that you are not an addict. Just like non-addicts can't understand people hooked on meth; many of us can't understand people hooked on the 'gram.

This is why social media is toxic. It gives people a skewed perception of what "normal" is and makes them depressed because their lives don't measure up to the fiction they see online. It stunts their ability to socialize in the real world and tricks them into seeking artificial social acceptance online through likes & shares. I shut down my FB years ago and never got into any of the other platforms. I have a small list of real friends, and we're too busy experiencing life together to waste our time snap chatting about it.

- - - Updated - - -

there are MUCH better places than LA. where a team would get support.

Let alone two teams. LA just isn't a football town...

Devilsdancefloor
10-15-2019, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Steeldude;710708]Haha. I missed it. I hope there is a video clip of it or a gif[
dude blocks alvin to the gruond and than catches a pass

teegre
10-16-2019, 06:53 AM
I can't say what the area around it was like before.

It was awful. There were hookers walking around, syringes & urine in the streets, broken windows, graffiti... you know: sort of like the good parts of LA.

You would never know that now.

SIDENOTE: In the early 90s, my dad sold a large piece of property in that area/moved his company elsewhere. When Petco Park bought up (and leveled) all of those rat-infested buildings, the owners down there got rich. My dad kicks himself for not keeping that land... to which I remind him that that area was a mugging/stabbing waiting to happen (i.e. you cannot put a price-tag on one’s health).

steelreserve
10-16-2019, 05:47 PM
It was awful. There were hookers walking around, syringes & urine in the streets, broken windows, graffiti... you know: sort of like the good parts of LA.

You would never know that now.

I bet you could still find plenty of piss down there, but I know the kind of neighborhood you're talking about. It seems like the bums and hookers just moved a few blocks east - the first time I went to Petco Park, I ended up parking down that way because I didn't know the area, and I was, like, AMAZED that my car was still there when I got back. And actually, I'm mistaken about the bums, they're everywhere.

Anyway, I forget what I was saying, but I'm not sure if one of those stadium megaplex entertainment hubs would have worked at the Qualcomm location or not. Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to go there even if they did build a bunch of stupid restaurants - just not really a place you'd go to drive there and hang out.

Oh well, now it'll just be shitty condos, since that's all they know how to build. And I'll bet you a million bucks it ends up in a lawsuit anyway, after the developer builds too much of this, or not enough of that, and all the vibrant parks and rec centers they promised will wind up underfunded, and then that land gets sold to build more shitty condos too.

And then later it turns out whoever built the condos was connected to the old mayor somehow, and people are outraged, but not too much, because by then it starts getting into the realm of tiresome political discourse and rehashing reams and reams of planning commission notes. So meanwhile, somebody pocketed $120 million, and they've already got the money, and everyone's tired of it and would rather just go have a sandwich, except for the loudmouth activists that everybody hates. They'll be standing out in front of Stater Bros. sometime in like 2023 with a petition to recall the mayor, but nobody will even care, so they'll just give up and start another petition to raise taxes instead.

Calling it now.

teegre
10-17-2019, 07:06 AM
I bet you could still find plenty of piss down there, but I know the kind of neighborhood you're talking about. It seems like the bums and hookers just moved a few blocks east - the first time I went to Petco Park, I ended up parking down that way because I didn't know the area, and I was, like, AMAZED that my car was still there when I got back. And actually, I'm mistaken about the bums, they're everywhere.

Anyway, I forget what I was saying, but I'm not sure if one of those stadium megaplex entertainment hubs would have worked at the Qualcomm location or not. Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to go there even if they did build a bunch of stupid restaurants - just not really a place you'd go to drive there and hang out.

Oh well, now it'll just be shitty condos, since that's all they know how to build. And I'll bet you a million bucks it ends up in a lawsuit anyway, after the developer builds too much of this, or not enough of that, and all the vibrant parks and rec centers they promised will wind up underfunded, and then that land gets sold to build more shitty condos too.

And then later it turns out whoever built the condos was connected to the old mayor somehow, and people are outraged, but not too much, because by then it starts getting into the realm of tiresome political discourse and rehashing reams and reams of planning commission notes. So meanwhile, somebody pocketed $120 million, and they've already got the money, and everyone's tired of it and would rather just go have a sandwich, except for the loudmouth activists that everybody hates. They'll be standing out in front of Stater Bros. sometime in like 2023 with a petition to recall the mayor, but nobody will even care, so they'll just give up and start another petition to raise taxes instead.

Calling it now.

Pfff... Mission Valley would have become Millennial Hipster Land.

FOOD:
WAITER: “It’s not mac’n’cheese, sir... it’s humanely sourced chickpea elbows covered in a locally-cultivated goat-cheese drizzle. It is served on an old sponge, and you use one side of a salad tong as utensils. We call it: mack-inch-E’s.”

PATRON: “Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to eat it; I’m just going to post pictures of it.”

DRINK:
BARISTA: “This task doesn’t define me. I’m actually a writer.”

PATRON: “Me, too. Of course, my mom’s WiFi doesn’t work in the basement; so, that’s why I cone here every single day.”

ENTERTAINMENT:
PATRON: “Who’s playing tonight?”

DOORMAN: “Some band you’ve probably never heard of...”

PATRON: “Doesn’t matter... I am just going to stare at my phone anyway.”

DOORMAN: “Doesn’t matter... it’s empty inside, but I’m not letting anyone in.”

PATRON: “I’ll just stand in line, pretending not to listen, while posting about how much I hate everything. Oh, nice man-bun.”

BILL:
PATRON 1: “I spent $17 on a triple half-caff, vegan chai tea macchiato.”

PATRON 2: “I spent $150 on three beers that were crafted in barrel made from an old Civil War chest.”

PATRON 3: “I don’t ever look at my bill. My mom pays my credit card.”

PATRON 1: “This place is packed. We shouldn’t cone here any more.”

PATRON 2: “I agree. Everyone goes down around Petco. We can’t go there. Where does no one go any more...???”

PATRON 3: “Duh, we should watch a Chargers game. It’s so ‘not cool’ that it’s cool again.”

SteelersNorth
10-17-2019, 08:28 AM
another reason no one cares about the chargers is they have a really shitty overrated QB

steelreserve
10-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Pfff... Mission Valley would have become Millennial Hipster Land.

Rarely have I looked forward to reading something as much as I did after seeing the first line, and you did not disappoint! You are probably correct about the state of things if that plan had come to fruition.

HOWEVER, there is one fatal flaw at the end: For millennials, there can never be anything more uncool than football. If all the rest of the above are their rules, disdain for football is like a part of their Constitution. Supreme law of the land.

BUT, fantasy football is ok, because it lets you be self-absorbed and constantly checking your iPhone, while also providing something to boast about. So I think we would be looking at approximately Genevieve's Fantasy Sports Bistro. I don't even want to picture what it would be like to go there. Or actually, I kind of do.

Waiter: (looks up from iPhone, bothered to be here) "Can I interest you in one of our signature appetizers to get started, perhaps the latte-infused fried calamari?"

Me: "Fuck you."

Waiter: "Ok! So, can I start you with something to drink?"

Me: "I want a 40. You got any 40s?"

Waiter: "(tssst) ohhhhh I'm sorry. Unfortunately we don't carry any 40s, but I'll let the manager know you asked. We do have a selection of over 120 local craft beers on the back of the menu!"

Me: "These are all India Pale Ale. You got anything that doesn't taste like ass?"

Waiter: "Unfortunately no; our IPAs are very popular."

Me: "Fine. I'll have the, uh ... Gay Boy Flaming IPA. Is that for real?"

Waiter: "It is! Very good. And for the lady?"

BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a coffee."

Waiter: "All our coffee is 100% organic WTO-certified Fair Trade coffee."

BengalGirl5150: "Hmm. I kinda want unfair-trade coffee, like with maximum misery and exploitation. I don't care about some asshole in Colombia, he doesn't even know why you're handing him all this extra money. You got anything less fair?"

Waiter: "I'm sorry, the Ruthless Capitalism blend was taken off the menu by popular request."

BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a glass of water."

Waiter: "Excellent choice."

BengalGirl5150: "With a plastic straw."

Waiter: "You disgust me." (to me) "And will there be anything else?"

Me: "Yeah, you guys got pizza?"

Waiter: "Of course! Our pizza menu is on the back."

Me: "I thought the craft beers were on the back."

Waiter: "That's not important, just go there."

Me: "Well I just want a regular pepperoni pizza, you got those?"

Waiter: "(tssst) Ohhhhhh I'm sorry, all of our pizzas are wood-fired speciality pizzas! Our most popular is the Parisian Pizza du Mer."

Me: "You know what, fuck you! TRUMP 2020!!!"

Waiter: "Have you lost your mind?"

Me: "Relax, I don't even like Trump, I just wanted to see how many dumb millennials would have a heart attack if I shouted that."

Waiter: "Judging by the number of them writhing on the floor, it appears to be sixteen."

BengalGirl5150: "SCORE!"

Waiter: (gritting teeth) "Will there be anything else?"

Me: "Yeah - what's the status of the Roman Empire?"

Waiter: (checks iPhone) "It's gone."

Me: "So are the Chargers. Bummer!"

In retrospect, it's probably better for my sake that they didn't build that.

Fire Goodell
10-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Hey nothing wrong with a good IPA, though NEIPA's go too far. Anything with "New England" on it is automatically on my shit list. For some reason though, these stupid kids like it.

BlackAndGold
10-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Devin Bush "The Cobra". I kind of like it

86WARD
10-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Baldinger sounds like he just ran 9 miles at a full tilt sprint...lol

Craic
10-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Baldinger sounds like he just ran 9 miles at a full tilt sprint...lol

He sounds like Macho Man Randy Savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0o

tube517
10-18-2019, 04:52 AM
Baldy has stalked Devin Bush all year lol. He also loves MFF and watching this defense grow.

teegre
10-18-2019, 07:02 AM
BengalGirl5150: "I'll just have a coffee."

This is when I knew that this was a slight embellishment.

BengalGirl5150 drinks nothing except for tears of frustration.

Hawkman
10-18-2019, 09:26 AM
He sounds like Macho Man Randy Savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bRM8VR0o

Bet you had fun digging that up.:rofl2:

- - - Updated - - -

Talk about a thread that’s gone sideways.

teegre
10-18-2019, 10:24 PM

Bince was on Twitter tonight, talking about that exact play. He was talking about how a WR can completely blindside a LB... but, if that same LB even brushes against the WR, it’d be “illegal contact... automatic first down!!!”

steelreserve
10-19-2019, 12:28 PM
This is when I knew that this was a slight embellishment.

BengalGirl5150 drinks nothing except for tears of frustration.

You'd be surprised, BengalGirl5150 has done a lot of growing up over the past few years. She's used to losing and just accepts it now. She's also an intern at Livermore National Laboratory while she finishes her doctorate in physics from Caltech. I never would have known any of this, if not for meeting her at that imaginary sports bistro. She still farts a lot, though.

HollywoodSteel
10-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Bince was on Twitter tonight, talking about that exact play. He was talking about how a WR can completely blindside a LB... but, if that same LB even brushes against the WR, it’d be “illegal contact... automatic first down!!!”

Even within 5 yards of the LOS? What if the LB is covering the WR?

And what’s the Hines Ward rule against the blindside block?

But I guess if a certain KIND of block is legal, it should not matter if it’s made by the WR or RB or TE or a lineman. I just don’t know the exact rule when a block from the side is legal and when it’s not.

HollywoodSteel
10-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Okay, at least I figured out what the Hines Ward rule is. The receiver can’t use his helmet or forearm to hit the neck or head area of the defender. In this case the receiver used his forearm, but blocked low enough on Dupree’s side that it wasn’t considered the neck area. So it’s a legal block.

teegre
10-21-2019, 06:52 AM
Okay, at least I figured out what the Hines Ward rule is. The receiver can’t use his helmet or forearm to hit the neck or head area of the defender. In this case the receiver used his forearm, but blocked low enough on Dupree’s side that it wasn’t considered the neck area. So it’s a legal block.

True.

But, again, if the LB made contact with the WR like that, it would have been a penalty (Yes, even within 5 yards of the LOS). Bince’s point is that the rules are vastly skewed towards the offense.