PDA

View Full Version : Updated: 2-4

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-06-2019, 07:03 PM
That said and couple breaks and non fumbles this team could be 4-1 They been in every game accept for the Pats. This team is not bad as the record looks.

Edman
10-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Inability to perform to critical moments is why the Steelers are 1-4.

Funny that we were so concerned about the quarterback fucking up when Two Killer game-ending fumbles were done by the players they were supposed to be least concerned about.

10-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Inability to perform to critical moments is why the Steelers are 1-4.

Funny that we were so concerned about the quarterback fucking up when Two Killer game-ending fumbles were done by the players they were supposed to be least concerned about. Agreed on all and good post.

Shoes
10-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Championship!

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 07:20 PM
The best news so far this season is that FINALLY the defense is paying out for all the resources invested in it. They limited the Ravens to around half of their offensive output. Decimated the terrible Bengals, forced 5 turnovers out of the 49ers, and limited the Seahawks more than most.

They are fast. They are flying to the ball. The pass rush is unrelenting, and finally their are plays being made behind the rush.

10-06-2019, 07:25 PM
The best news so far this season is that FINALLY the defense is paying out for all the resources invested in it. They limited the Ravens to around half of their offensive output. Decimated the terrible Bengals, forced 5 turnovers out of the 49ers, and limited the Seahawks more than most.

They are fast. They are flying to the ball. The pass rush is unrelenting, and finally their are plays being made behind the rush. Agree and they are the main reason the Steelers was in all the games till the end. They are only going to get better as the season goes on. Shame we couldn't pull a win or two out of those games.

Craic
10-06-2019, 07:26 PM
This is the best 1-4 team I've ever seen. :chuckle:

(That just sounds hilarious to say. Reminds me of an announcer in the early 1990s on Grbac: "He's perhaps the best third-string QB in the league!"

Born2Steel
10-06-2019, 07:27 PM
4-4 after the next 3 games. Go ahead and mark it down. HERE WE GO!

Shoes
10-06-2019, 07:27 PM

They are fast. They are flying to the ball. The pass rush is unrelenting, and finally their are plays being made behind the rush.

Agreed! hopefully, the offense can salvage something from this season to build upon next year.

10-06-2019, 07:32 PM
This is the best 1-4 team I've ever seen. :chuckle:

(That just sounds hilarious to say. Reminds me of an announcer in the early 1990s on Grbac: "He's perhaps the best third-string QB in the league!" Not saying that but they mostly likely would be 3-2 if not for the choke fumbles at the end with Conner and JUJU. The defense is finally something with their turnovers and sacks this season.

teegre
10-06-2019, 07:34 PM
4-4 after the next 3 games. Go ahead and mark it down. HERE WE GO!

/thread

Edman
10-06-2019, 07:35 PM

The only hope is that the Defense is near the level where they help this team reel off a winning streak like the ‘76 squad, which is now desperately needed for them to even have a shot.

Craic
10-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Not saying that but they mostly likely would be 3-2 if not for the choke fumbles at the end with Conner and JUJU. The defense is finally something with their turnovers and sacks this season.

No, actually, I wasn't being sarcastic with that. The chuckling smiley at the end is just because it sounds so funny to say. But this team really does feel like it should be a 3-2 team right now. And, in fact, I'd argue our losses to SF and Seattle are the two that we should have had.

And, interestingly enough, it's precisely because of the defense. I like what I'm starting to see from them.

10-06-2019, 07:57 PM
No, actually, I wasn't being sarcastic with that. The chuckling smiley at the end is just because it sounds so funny to say. But this team really does feel like it should be a 3-2 team right now. And, in fact, I'd argue our losses to SF and Seattle are the two that we should have had.

And, interestingly enough, it's precisely because of the defense. I like what I'm starting to see from them. Got ya :drink:

FrancoLambert
10-06-2019, 08:38 PM
I’ve always agreed with Parcells.
You are what your record says you are.

st33lersguy
10-06-2019, 08:42 PM
This is not a good football team. They are 0-4 against professional football teams. San Fran would have dominated this team had they not been so usy trying to hand the game (and literally the ball to the Steelers). Baltimore wasn't that good yet winning the turnover battle they find a way to lose. Bad teams find a way to lose

Shoes
10-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Well can't blame Boz this year.

Edman
10-06-2019, 09:03 PM
This is not a good football team. They are 0-4 against professional football teams. San Fran would have dominated this team had they not been so usy trying to hand the game (and literally the ball to the Steelers). Baltimore wasn't that good yet winning the turnover battle they find a way to lose. Bad teams find a way to lose

This is a mildly talented football team with sub standard coaching. The sub standard coaching reared its head many times through its 1-4 start. Poor Offense, Inconsistent Defense, and no Ben or Antonio Brown to bail them out week after week.

I never occured to Randy Fichtner that the Ravens may have prepared for the wildcat over the week, and they did. He busted it out anyway, and to the shock of nobody, it didn't work, putting the Steelers into a hole early. This gimmicky shit may work against the Bengals, but not against a well-coached team like Baltimore.

The Steelers Offenses' mild bread and butter has been the dink and dunk passing game. But Fichtner outsmarted himself again by forcing Rudolph to go deep, you know, because that is what "real" NFL offenses do and what all the "experts" say is right and the key to a successful NFL Offense (according to a certain someone here). To the shock of nobody, we have no viable deep threat, it didn't work and the Steelers Offense proceeded to die out for the rest of the game. At least they went deep, though. Because they are a real NFL Offense, because it works in the NFL. Because the experts say so.

Special teams makes a difference. The Ravens won this game today through their special teams. They can return the ball back, their Punter is outstanding and Justin Tucker speaks for himself. Imagine how much the game outcome could've changed if they had a bonafide returner or a good punter. The Steelers have not had a good returner since Antonio Brown. Switzer is useless. For years the Steelers have neglected their special teams and it has cost them big.

The Steelers have failed to make changes and stuck to the trends that have made them failures for the past decade. We have no right to be shocked that they continue to fail.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:09 PM
Would that be the passing game that Hodges went 7/9 for almost 10 yards a completion with?

Or was it the passing game that helped COnner find running room later in the game as the LBers and safeties backed out of the box due to the Steelers at least trying to go beyond 2 yards from the line of scrimmage?

I guess it was just the random plays that exist mostly in the fire everyone choruses mind.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Also please find a successful NFL offense that doesn't regularly attempt multiple 15+ yard pass plays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkman
10-06-2019, 09:17 PM
This is a mildly talented football team with sub standard coaching. The sub standard coaching reared its head many times through its 1-4 start. Poor Offense, Inconsistent Defense, and no Ben or Antonio Brown to bail them out week after week.

I never occured to Randy Fichtner that the Ravens may have prepared for the wildcat over the week, and they did. He busted it out anyway, and to the shock of nobody, it didn't work, putting the Steelers into a hole early. This gimmicky shit may work against the Bengals, but not against a well-coached team like Baltimore.

The Steelers Offenses' mild bread and butter has been the dink and dunk passing game. But Fichtner outsmarted himself again by forcing Rudolph to go deep, you know, because that is what "real" NFL offenses do and what all the "experts" say is right and the key to a successful NFL Offense (according to a certain someone here). To the shock of nobody, we have no viable deep threat, it didn't work and the Steelers Offense proceeded to die out for the rest of the game. At least they went deep, though. Because they are a real NFL Offense, because it works in the NFL. Because the experts say so.

Special teams makes a difference. The Ravens won this game today through their special teams. They can return the ball back, their Punter is outstanding and Justin Tucker speaks for himself. Imagine how much the game outcome could've changed if they had a bonafide returner or a good punter. The Steelers have not had a good returner since Antonio Brown. Switzer is useless. For years the Steelers have neglected their special teams and it has cost them big.

The Steelers have failed to make changes and stuck to the trends that have made them failures for the past decade. We have no right to be shocked that they continue to fail.

Go be a Ravens fan.

Edman
10-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Would that be the passing game that Hodges went 7/9 for almost 10 yards a completion with?

Or was it the passing game that helped COnner find running room later in the game as the LBers and safeties backed out of the box due to the Steelers at least trying to go beyond 2 yards from the line of scrimmage?

I guess it was just the random plays that exist mostly in the fire everyone choruses mind.

Nearly ten yards a completion, yet Conner rarely touched the ball, the Steelers didn't score a touchdown for the rest of the game after the 3rd.

So glad they got that yardage per pass attempt thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Nearly ten yards a completion, yet Conner rarely touched the ball, the Steelers didn't score a touchdown for the rest of the game after the 3rd.

So glad they got that yardage per pass thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.

Because Conner was tearing it up against the Ravens early. At one point in the second quarter, the Ravens had 10 players within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Please, I beg you, explain how to move those LBs and safeties back aside from tossing a few deep balls.

If you know how to do that, please quit your current job and immediately begin coaching football. You know something literally no one else alive knows.

Edman
10-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Because Conner was tearing it up against the Ravens early. At one point in the second quarter, the Ravens had 10 players within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Please, I beg you, explain how to move those LBs and safeties back aside from tossing a few deep balls.

If you know how to do that, please quit your current job and immediately begin coaching football. You know something literally no one else alive knows.

You don't move them back. You take what they give you. Every defense gives you something and you take it until they stop it. The Ravens baited and dared the Steelers to go deep. And they did. It didn't work.

While backing into the box, Mason went 8-8 at one point with a touchdown to Juju, they "opened up the offense" and all of the sudden Mason couldn't hit anything. He went 0-4 going deep. Including those batch of misfires in the redzone after the Jackson interception that led to another field goal before halftime. With a timeout in their pocket to boot. But good thing they did that. They are a real NFL Offense. Those yards per attempt really made a difference.

You don't get to pull the "Let's see you do better" card when I wasn't the one who claimed to be an expert. The Steelers did exactly what "the experts" said was right, and it didn't work.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:41 PM
While backing into the box, Mason went 8-8 at one point with a touchdown to Juju, they "opened up the offense" and all of the sudden Mason couldn't hit anything. He went 0-4 going deep. Including those batch of misfires in the redzone after the Jackson interception that led to another field goal before halftime. With a timeout in their pocket to boot. But good thing they did that. They are a real NFL Offense. Those yards per attempt really made a difference.

You don't get to pull the "Let's see you do better" card when I wasn't the one who claimed to be an expert. The Steelers did exactly what "the experts" said was right, and it didn't work.

So your plan is to ignore many of the fundamentals of football because Rudolph can't execute basic plays? On one of those deep balls he had the guy and overthrew it by a mile. On another he missed two intermediate recievers running wide open.

This would be like watching a team beat the blitz and concluding pass rushing is dumb.

vasteeler
10-06-2019, 09:42 PM
I love how we're on our 4th QB and people still want to blame coaching. Good grief.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:48 PM
I really don't want to be defending Fichtner or whatever. But it's just hard not to push back against some of the more extreme positions.

Shoes
10-06-2019, 09:52 PM
So your plan is to ignore many of the fundamentals of football because Rudolph can't execute basic plays? On one of those deep balls he had the guy and overthrew it by a mile. On another he missed two intermediate recievers running wide open.

This would be like watching a team beat the blitz and concluding pass rushing is dumb.

to be fair on one of those I don't know what Johnson was doing. He ran hard, then let up, then picked it up again, by that time the ball was about 4 feet in front of him. On another play that didn't fare well, I saw Mason talking to him after the play. I just don't have a good feeling with this crew of WR's. I mean Ben had the same issue with them not getting open.

Edman
10-06-2019, 09:54 PM

There was nothing there deep. Two Ravens were right there waiting for it. An underthrow is a pick waiting to happen. Better to overthrow the guy than underthrow it.

If Rudolph weren't so preoccupied trying to look like a Big Boy, he may have seen the intermediate receivers running open. This is the exact square peg-round role approach to Steelers coaching that costs the teams games. But as long as they impose their will and look tough, that's all that matters.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 09:54 PM
to be fair on one of those I don't know what Johnson was doing. He ran hard, then let up, then picked it up again, by that time the ball was about 4 feet in front of him. On another play that didn't fare well, I saw Mason talking to him after the play. I just don't have a good feeling with this crew of WR's. I mean Ben had the same issue with them not getting open.

Good point. I think on another Holton had a step on his man and Rudolph missed him.

You are correct the WRs do odd things.

steelreserve
10-06-2019, 10:11 PM
What we are is an ok football team that can be exciting and probably has a puncher's chance at winning almost every game, but over the long run is too up-and-down to be a consistent winner, and luck is going to factor heavily in a lot of games. Still entertaining to watch, but really the kind of team that caps out at "would be lucky to win a wild-card game," even if more breaks were going our way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2019, 10:58 PM
I’ve always agreed with Parcells.
You are what your record says you are.

Agree! Nobody asks how you win....they ask how many you win. Right now the answer is 1.

Craic
10-07-2019, 12:11 AM
What we are is an ok football team that can be exciting and probably has a puncher's chance at winning almost every game, but over the long run is too up-and-down to be a consistent winner, and luck is going to factor heavily in a lot of games. Still entertaining to watch, but really the kind of team that caps out at "would be lucky to win a wild-card game," even if more breaks were going our way.

You know, at least for this year, I think that's a good assessment of this team. And, in all honesty, I think I'm okay with that for one year. I mean, how can we expect much more than that when we lose two players who were having Hall of Fame careers while they were with us, in back-to-back years (well, the same year, but Bell didn't play the previous year) and also on our 3rd string QB.

But, this defense is really beginning to feel like it's just missing one or two pieces to be a defense worthy of the Steelers name. Honestly, I think I'm more excited about the games coming up because I want to see how our defense progresses (and our QBs) than if we actually win or lose at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree! Nobody asks how you win....they ask how many you win. Right now the answer is 1.

Huh. I remember about a decade ago there was a ton of ranting and raving because the Steelers were winning games ugly. We ended up winning the SB that year but very few were happy (not saying it was you. In fact, I can't even remember if you were with us back then at SF . . . probably were. My memory's just getting old).

Rotorhead
10-07-2019, 12:16 AM

So glad they got that yardage per pass attempt thing up. It really helped them out today. We got what we asked for. A Wide Open passing game and lots of deep shots. Don't be surprised if the Offense makes the Chargers Defense look like the 85 Bears next week.

You do realize that our third string QB in the game at that point. We took the Rats to OT with our backup QB and our 3rd string QB today. If not for a stupid fumbler at the end we probably win, with our 3rd string QB

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2019, 12:30 AM
Huh. I remember about a decade ago there was a ton of ranting and raving because the Steelers were winning games ugly. We ended up winning the SB that year but very few were happy (not saying it was you. In fact, I can't even remember if you were with us back then at SF . . . probably were. My memory's just getting old).

Yeah, what was the saying?.....Style points don't matter.

Craic
10-07-2019, 01:36 AM
Yeah, what was the saying?.....Style points don't matter.

Yep. Kind of ironic that we won the SB because Ben put the team on his back and drove down for the win after the defense allowed another late game TD. In fact, I think it was that season where we started seeing the trend of late game TDs by the opposing teams.

86WARD
10-07-2019, 02:27 AM
All this season is doing is buying Fichtner, Butler, Smith a free pass to another season...which sucks...

Edman
10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
I love how we're on our 4th QB and people still want to blame coaching. Good grief.

We were on our first quarterback and woefully unprepared for the Patriots Week 1. That could be a reason why people don’t care for the coaching staff. Just a hunch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Yep. Kind of ironic that we won the SB because Ben put the team on his back and drove down for the win after the defense allowed another late game TD. In fact, I think it was that season where we started seeing the trend of late game TDs by the opposing teams.

What was ironic about that? Was it because that winning TD pass was the only TD pass he threw in that Super Bowl and he wasn't expected to throw one?

I remember Troy and Ike mixing up a coverage that allowed HOF connection of Warner to Fitzgerald to get a quick TD. It wasn't some kind of late game implosion of letting Willie Snead or Tim Tebow beat the Steelers. I also think that defense scored a TD and sealed the game with a sack-fumble, so I don't really recall the defense being a liability in that Super Bowl victory.

Steeler-in-west
10-07-2019, 10:24 AM
No matter what the record is, still want to see the team compete and play hard, try to get as many wins as possible. I’m happy about the defense as well.

That being said, can’t help but wonder how this team would be right now with AB, Bell, and even Ben. Probably 4-1...at least

steelreserve
10-07-2019, 11:09 AM
You know, at least for this year, I think that's a good assessment of this team. And, in all honesty, I think I'm okay with that for one year. I mean, how can we expect much more than that when we lose two players who were having Hall of Fame careers while they were with us, in back-to-back years (well, the same year, but Bell didn't play the previous year) and also on our 3rd string QB.

But, this defense is really beginning to feel like it's just missing one or two pieces to be a defense worthy of the Steelers name. Honestly, I think I'm more excited about the games coming up because I want to see how our defense progresses (and our QBs) than if we actually win or lose at this point.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far with the defense, but it is encouraging to see the unit improving. They are about two players and a coach away from being top-shelf if you ask me.

Probably the main thing keeping me interested in the season is seeing who is turning into a good player and how the team is shaping up for the future ... lot of that going on and it is exciting in a different kind of way.

DesertSteel
10-07-2019, 11:58 AM
The Steelers are 1-4. In other news, Leveon Bell is averaging 2.9 YPC and Antonio Brown is out of the NFL.

Fire Goodell
10-07-2019, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

12-4

Shoes
10-07-2019, 12:56 PM
The Steelers are 1-4. In other news, Leveon Bell is averaging 2.9 YPC and Antonio Brown is out of the NFL.

no winners out of this mess.

Fire Goodell
10-07-2019, 01:09 PM
no winners out of this mess.

We did get a 3rd and 5th for basically nothing, so there's that

Born2Steel
10-07-2019, 09:17 PM
The loss to the Ravens puts us in a tougher spot than being 1-4. It basically puts us 3 games back for the division. That part hurts. Let's just say for the sake of discussion here that the Steelers do actually go on a win streak the rest of the way. How does a wildcard spot measure up? Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Texans(Div winners for this discussion) Current wildcard teams = Bills(4-1), Raiders(3-2), and Colts(3-2). None of these teams are absolute unbeatable juggernauts. Our defense IS playing well. I'm saying there is a chance.

10-07-2019, 09:57 PM
The loss to the Ravens puts us in a tougher spot than being 1-4. It basically puts us 3 games back for the division. That part hurts. Let's just say for the sake of discussion here that the Steelers do actually go on a win streak the rest of the way. How does a wildcard spot measure up? Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Texans(Div winners for this discussion) Current wildcard teams = Bills(4-1), Raiders(3-2), and Colts(3-2). None of these teams are absolute unbeatable juggernauts. Our defense IS playing well. I'm saying there is a chance. There is still a chance to win the division and CLE is getting there butt kick tonight. If teams start figuring out how to D Lamar the Ravens could lose a few in a row

Shoes
10-07-2019, 10:10 PM
5 games into the season and we are already looking for other teams to bail us out. :chuckle:

10-07-2019, 10:17 PM
5 games into the season and we already looking for other teams to bail us out. :chuckle: Tomlin says (It is what it is) and (No moral victories)

teegre
10-08-2019, 07:02 AM
If the Steelers win out, they’d need the Ravens to lose one game.

12-4 vs. 12-4... we’d hold the tie-breaker in the division.

SUMMATION:
I’m all in.

Born2Steel
10-08-2019, 07:31 AM

SUMMATION:
I’m all in.

After re-reading I didn’t mean a win out win streak. I only meant string a few wins together. 11games left and if the Steelers can end the season with 9-10 wins there is still a shot at a wildcard. None of the teams ahead of the Steelers for the wildcard are unbeatable. Other than the Bills I give us a 50/50 chance against any of them.

teegre
10-09-2019, 07:02 AM
After re-reading I didn’t mean a win out win streak. I only meant string a few wins together. 11games left and if the Steelers can end the season with 9-10 wins there is still a shot at a wildcard. None of the teams ahead of the Steelers for the wildcard are unbeatable. Other than the Bills I give us a 50/50 chance against any of them.

I get what you meant. :nod:

I just went to the “Teegre level” of optimism. :lol:

Six Rings
10-09-2019, 08:36 AM
All this season is doing is buying Fichtner, Butler, Smith a free pass to another season...which sucks...

Trade Tomlin to Washington DC. The rest will work itself out. Lots of out coaches can win with their back up QB.

Fire Goodell
10-09-2019, 12:00 PM

I disagree that we're up and down. This team has been consistent this year, other than the first one they've been in every game. What they need to do is improve at closing the deal.

Born2Steel
10-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Wash and Samuels out a few games now also. So...3rd QB, rookie Johnson, JuJu, Conner, rookie Snell, McD and BigV. Who else is this offense counting on this week? Moncrief, Tevin Jones, RB Edmunds, Lynch all may get backup helmets this game. If the Steelers score 20pts let alone win the game, Fichtner gets a raise. Come on sunshine, at least don’t rain on our boys this Sunday.

Mojouw
10-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Wash and Samuels out a few games now also. So...3rd QB, rookie Johnson, JuJu, Conner, rookie Snell, McD and BigV. Who else is this offense counting on this week? Moncrief, Tevin Jones, RB Edmunds, Lynch all may get backup helmets this game. If the Steelers score 20pts let alone win the game, Fichtner gets a raise. Come on sunshine, at least don’t rain on our boys this Sunday.

I doubt they are going to call 3 guys up from the PS. That is a lot of roster cuts.

Figure you can get away with cutting Eliot at OLB to get Lynch up to the gameday roster. Then you likely take a risk of cutting Fred Johnson at OL or Dangerfield at SS to get either a RB or a WR up to the roster.

Fire Goodell
10-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Hope they lean on the run with some 2TE sets, should be viable with Vanett and McDonald

Born2Steel
10-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I doubt they are going to call 3 guys up from the PS. That is a lot of roster cuts.

Figure you can get away with cutting Eliot at OLB to get Lynch up to the gameday roster. Then you likely take a risk of cutting Fred Johnson at OL or Dangerfield at SS to get either a RB or a WR up to the roster.

Ok. I don’t know much about how moving players works. Somebody has to be the backup QB. Johnson, JuJu, Switzer, and Holton are it at WR. Moncrief’s damaged hands? Conner and Snell can hold down the RB position I guess. I don’t even know who Eliot is. Can he go to PS? I never need to figure player moves during the season usually.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope they lean on the run with some 2TE sets, should be viable with Vanett and McDonald

I think the Chargers secondary is banged up pretty bad. Maybe use a lot of TE pass plays with 2 TE sets. IDK this season has all of us guessing what’s what.

pczach
10-09-2019, 03:46 PM
McDonald wasn't able to play in overtime because I think he reinjured his shoulder.

Has anybody heard anything about him?

He may not be available either.

This team is being devastated by injuries this year. Damn....

Mojouw
10-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Ok. I don’t know much about how moving players works. Somebody has to be the backup QB. Johnson, JuJu, Switzer, and Holton are it at WR. Moncrief’s damaged hands? Conner and Snell can hold down the RB position I guess. I don’t even know who Eliot is. Can he go to PS? I never need to figure player moves during the season usually.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Chargers secondary is banged up pretty bad. Maybe use a lot of TE pass plays with 2 TE sets. IDK this season has all of us guessing what’s what.

To get a guy in a game from the PS you have to either cut someone or put someone on IR to clear a spot on the 53 man roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tube517
10-09-2019, 05:33 PM
McDonald wasn't able to play in overtime because I think he reinjured his shoulder.

Has anybody heard anything about him?

He may not be available either.

This team is being devastated by injuries this year. Damn....

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-6-injury-report-chargers

While Anthony Chickillo (foot) returned to practice in a limited role, and Steve Nelson (groin) was also limited, several others didn't practice including Mark Barron (hamstring), Vance McDonald (shoulder), Justin Layne (illness) and Roosevelt Nix (knee). Maurkice Pouncey also didn't practice, but it was not injury related.

pczach
10-09-2019, 06:41 PM
https://www.steelers.com/news/week-6-injury-report-chargers

Thanks buddy!

Fire Goodell
10-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Man is Nix ever coming back?

Shoes
10-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Three 1-4 teams Pit, Den & Atl

Two 0-4 teams Mia, Nyj

Two 0-5 teams Cin, Was

Where will the Steelers finish? Well, there sure isn't any stress watching the games now. :chuckle:

10-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Man is Nix ever coming back? Yes somebody has to run the Wildcat soon in Samuels absence.

AtlantaDan
10-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Article linked in tweet is paywalled - multiple salty skirmishes today as Steelers practiced in pads for first time since before Bengals game. Heyward says the defense wants to maintain an edge - DeCastro not pleased and Foster says Allen putting Conner on the ground today along with Kelly nailing JuJu is something that is acceptable in camp but “idiotic” in regular season practice.

No surprise these guys are pissed off and frustrated - hopefully they take it out on the Chargers rather than each other

Edman
10-09-2019, 10:27 PM
The Defense has taken over and is dictating the direction of the team. The D finally has edge and is showing signs of playing up to its potential after sitting in the passenger seat to Ben, Antonio Brown and the Steelers Offense for so many years. They have really improved since Seattle. Offense has done nothing but pussyfoot around. Dropped passes. Fumbles. Failing in short yardage. Wildcat plays. Dumb turnovers. The Defense is just trying to get the Offense to grow some balls and play harder. The team is backed into a corner and have nothing to lose with a Charger team waiting on the West Coast Sunday Night.

Craic
10-09-2019, 11:22 PM
What was ironic about that? Was it because that winning TD pass was the only TD pass he threw in that Super Bowl and he wasn't expected to throw one?

I remember Troy and Ike mixing up a coverage that allowed HOF connection of Warner to Fitzgerald to get a quick TD. It wasn't some kind of late game implosion of letting Willie Snead or Tim Tebow beat the Steelers. I also think that defense scored a TD and sealed the game with a sack-fumble, so I don't really recall the defense being a liability in that Super Bowl victory.

What was ironic was the entire season was held together by a defense that played lights out while the offense could barely score at times. We needed several defensive scores that season to win games. Doing this from memory, Dallas was one game, the Ravens in the playoffs was another (well, we were up by like 3, I think, it's been a long time). But in the big game, in the second half when we needed that one last big stop so the offense could then run out the clock, we didn't get it. Instead, they scored. Then, our inept offense gets on the field with perhaps the worst starting line to every play an NFL SB. And, the first play out . . . holding. Backed us up to like our 10 or something. Maybe even closer. Then, Ben puts the team on his back and marches them down the field. Santo. Holmes had perhaps the best 2 minutes of football in his entire life on that drive. And, they marched right down and put the ball in the endzone. After failing to be able to be that type of offense all year long. And, after the defense failed to make a stop; the first time they failed to come through in a close game, if I remember right, all year long as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The Defense has taken over and is dictating the direction of the team. The D finally has edge and is showing signs of playing up to its potential after sitting in the passenger seat to Ben, Antonio Brown and the Steelers Offense for so many years. They have really improved since Seattle. Offense has done nothing but pussyfoot around. Dropped passes. Fumbles. Failing in short yardage. Wildcat plays. Dumb turnovers. The Defense is just trying to get the Offense to grow some balls and play harder. The team is backed into a corner and have nothing to lose with a Charger team waiting on the West Coast Sunday Night.

What do you want? Those wildcat plays won us the game against Cincinnati because they were unprepared for it. And, as for the fumbles. You do realize the fumbles are mainly from players fighting for every yard they can get, right? It's not from being lazy. It's from being too aggressive. JuJu and company needs to learn to go to the turf sometimes rather than fighting for extra yards. And, after all, what are you expecting this offense to do when they're playing a QB with two starts, and then lose him as well to a QB with no starts?

86WARD
10-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Article linked in tweet is paywalled - multiple salty skirmishes today as Steelers practiced in pads for first time since before Bengals game. Heyward says the defense wants to maintain an edge - DeCastro not pleased and Foster says Allen putting Conner on the ground today along with Kelly nailing JuJu is something that is acceptable in camp but “idiotic” in regular season practice.

No surprise these guys are pissed off and frustrated - hopefully they take it out on the Chargers rather than each other

Offense deserves to be put on the ground and hit...lol

86WARD
10-10-2019, 05:21 AM
What was ironic was the entire season was held together by a defense that played lights out while the offense could barely score at times. We needed several defensive scores that season to win games. Doing this from memory, Dallas was one game, the Ravens in the playoffs was another (well, we were up by like 3, I think, it's been a long time). But in the big game, in the second half when we needed that one last big stop so the offense could then run out the clock, we didn't get it. Instead, they scored. Then, our inept offense gets on the field with perhaps the worst starting line to every play an NFL SB. And, the first play out . . . holding. Backed us up to like our 10 or something. Maybe even closer. Then, Ben puts the team on his back and marches them down the field. Santo. Holmes had perhaps the best 2 minutes of football in his entire life on that drive. And, they marched right down and put the ball in the endzone. After failing to be able to be that type of offense all year long. And, after the defense failed to make a stop; the first time they failed to come through in a close game, if I remember right, all year long as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you want? Those wildcat plays won us the game against Cincinnati because they were unprepared for it. And, as for the fumbles. You do realize the fumbles are mainly from players fighting for every yard they can get, right? It's not from being lazy. It's from being too aggressive. JuJu and company needs to learn to go to the turf sometimes rather than fighting for extra yards. And, after all, what are you expecting this offense to do when they're playing a QB with two starts, and then lose him as well to a QB with no starts?

Thing is...the QB play excuse is irrelevant. The QB with two starts and the one with no starts have been just fine...it’s the “veteran guys” that have been the problem.

Born2Steel
10-10-2019, 11:52 AM

This article about more than simple frustration to me. There is the point that this defense has been ridiculed and put down for a while. Now they are having a pretty decent run early on and the offense is not holding up their end. And that is and should be frustrating for players. There is also this element of practice. Practice SHOULD be at game speed or as close as you can get. Non padded, non contact, walk thru practices are killing the NFL. How do you get better at hitting, blocking, and tackling in shorts and no pads? Get out there and hit somebody! I’m a fan of Foster but not going all out at practice is what’s idiotic.

86WARD
10-10-2019, 12:10 PM
You Play Like You Practice.

Play Like A Champion, Practice Like You Want To Be One.

Practice Like You’ve Never Won, Play Like You’ve Never Lost.

Practice Like You Play, Play Like You Practice.

If they aren’t practicing hard, that falls on Tomlin.

Edman
10-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Wildcat plays may have worked against Cincinnati, but everyone with half a brain knew that the Ravens would be prepared for the Wildcat. It was trotted out to miserable failure.

It wasn’t the inexperience of our quarterbacks that has been the problem. Mason and Hodges have done quite well (excellent even) and put the Steelers in position to win. Which is more than what we can ask for from them. While their over body of work still needs a bit more, They have delivered.

It’s been our experienced veteran players and supposed strength who have failed the team. James Conner has dropped off considerably, Juju can’t hold onto the football in critical situations, and the Offensive Line has no killer instinct at the point of attack. The Steelers Offense has become quite soft and has no identity. They were pushed around by the Ravens Sunday, and their Defense is nowhere near the level of the Ray Lewis Days. Two horrible turnovers deep in their own end have led to easy Raven points and their win Sunday.

The Defense has been a punching bag on this board for a while now. Now that they finally have something going, the Offense decides to bog down. The Defense has taken over the team and wants the O to develop some balls.

The country club days like in the Ben/AB Days is over. The team is 1-4 and staring certain death in the face. They need to find ways to win. If more physical practices are what is needed, then so be it. They need to try something. Because what they’ve been doing isn’t working.

Fire Goodell
10-10-2019, 02:47 PM
we talkin bout practice man :chuckle:

on a side note, they didn't even need the wildcat against Baltimore, Conner was running over those guys, they should have stuck with conventional

AtlantaDan
10-10-2019, 05:31 PM
The team is 1-4 and staring certain death in the face. They need to find ways to win. If more physical practices are what is needed, then so be it. They need to try something. Because what they’ve been doing isn’t working.

Fichtner hears you and is going to go deep into his bag of tricks with an unprecedented offensive concept

Even with the transition to Rudolph – and to a lesser extent, Hodges – the Steelers have run the ball 85 percent of the time out of the shotgun. Hodges rarely lined up under center in college but, with the Steelers struggling to find an identity running the ball, he could be asked to line up more under center.

Hodges and Maurkice Pouncey spent some time in practice Thursday working on the quarterback-center exchange.

“You can run a full offense when you’re capable of doing that,” Fichtner said

https://triblive.com/sports/randy-fichtner-likes-professional-approach-devlin-hodges-has-taken-at-qb/

As opposed to the less than full offense the Steelers presumably have been running since week two. Too bad there are not any offseason opportunities to work on these concepts. :coffee:

(https://triblive.com/sports/randy-fichtner-likes-professional-approach-devlin-hodges-has-taken-at-qb/)

86WARD
10-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Running the ball doesn’t win a Super Bowls in this day and age...it’s actually the least important part of the game when it comes to winning a Super Bowl so it makes sense that Fichtner would use it the most.

Born2Steel
10-10-2019, 06:28 PM
If they aren’t practicing hard, that falls on Tomlin.

Maybe. Hard to know. Padded full contact practices are limited by the CBA. Players basically locked themselves out of the team facilities and all the fancy expensive workout rooms during the offseason and did away with full contact practices during the season. Everybody wants to point fingers and shout ‘his fault’ but the league AND player union have both contributed to making it harder to get teams ready for the season. Just look at all the just plain bad football this season so far.

Butch
10-10-2019, 06:59 PM

SUMMATION:
I’m all in.

Count me in as well!!! Great post!!!

Rotorhead
10-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Running the ball doesn’t win a Super Bowls in this day and age...it’s actually the least important part of the game when it comes to winning a Super Bowl so it makes sense that Fichtner would use it the most.

That’s how the Pats won last year . . .

10-10-2019, 09:54 PM
That’s how the Pats won last year . . . Yep and being able to run the football in the playoffs seems like a huge plus. Agree and Pats was good at it the whole season last year as well.

Fire Goodell
10-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Yep, they beat the Chiefs by running the ball too. If anything, the running game is the most overlooked part of winning in the current era.

86WARD
10-12-2019, 02:18 PM
It’s actually not as important as one may think though. There are several analytics articles out there stating how running the ball isn’t as important as one may think and in actuality, teams will sometimes let the opposing teams run the ball more. When Belichick was with the Giants he told the defense to let Thurman Thomas run for over 100 yards in order to burn time off the clock...

It’s actually surprising. I’ll try to find a link to the one article that talks about Belichick.

86WARD
10-12-2019, 02:23 PM

That’s deceiving though...the difference from 2017 to 2018 was really only about 15-20 yards a game...

Brady still threw for over 4000 yards.

86WARD
10-12-2019, 02:24 PM
https://thepowerrank.com/2018/09/24/the-surprising-truth-about-passing-and-rushing-in-the-nfl/

Edman
10-12-2019, 03:07 PM
https://thepowerrank.com/2018/09/24/the-surprising-truth-about-passing-and-rushing-in-the-nfl/

Another "statistics and empirical data" that "dispels the myth" of running the football effectively. Some do buy into the analytics, and unfortunately the Steelers are one of those teams. Which is more ironic because this week they're facing the team that beat them last season after running the ball despite down 16 points.

BnG_Hevn
10-12-2019, 10:44 PM
The 0-16 Browns were just a few breaks away and non-fumbles away from 8-8.

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Why did the Chargers run the ball is the important question. It wasn’t to simply just hit a certain number of carries or impose their will or bleed clock or whatever. It was to keep the Steelers base defense on the field. Then they manipulated that defense into the match-up they wanted — a LB on Allen.

Same with the Patriots. Their lack of WRs morphed them into a running team last year. Then they built out of that run look to take teams apart with their FB and deep shots to Gronk. The sequence of plays that essentially won the SB was all out of the same formation and player movements. It suckered the defense into thinking one thing and then doing another. This year, the Patriots are running more 3 WR sets and not as much power run looks because their TEs are not good.

Running just to run is the Washington Redskins feeding old Adrian Peterson for no real reason. Rushing to manipulate the defense into doing something stupid — that’s almost always the goal of teams.

Edman
10-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Why did the Chargers run the ball is the important question. It wasn’t to simply just hit a certain number of carries or impose their will or bleed clock or whatever. It was to keep the Steelers base defense on the field. Then they manipulated that defense into the match-up they wanted — a LB on Allen.

Same with the Patriots. Their lack of WRs morphed them into a running team last year. Then they built out of that run look to take teams apart with their FB and deep shots to Gronk. The sequence of plays that essentially won the SB was all out of the same formation and player movements. It suckered the defense into thinking one thing and then doing another. This year, the Patriots are running more 3 WR sets and not as much power run looks because their TEs are not good.

As compared to the Steelers, who went out of their way to impose their will with their passing game, and they were shut down the rest of the half while the Chargers gained steam. The Chargers didn't need to respect the Steelers' run game, because the Steelers didn't want to win by running. They wanted to pass to win and follow the analytics.

Unfortunately, the Steelers have a valet puppet OC who takes this approach and has no sense of imagination at the NFL level.

Here's to Randy Fichtner dialing up 10-20 deep/intermediate shots for Hodges tonight despite mediocre and depleted receivers.

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 01:39 PM
As compared to the Steelers, who went out of their way to impose their will with their passing game, and they were shut down the rest of the half while the Chargers gained steam. The Chargers didn't need to respect the Steelers' run game, because the Steelers didn't want to win by running. They wanted to pass to win and follow the analytics.

Unfortunately, the Steelers have a valet puppet OC who takes this approach and has no sense of imagination at the NFL level.

Here's to Randy Fichtner dialing up 10-20 deep/intermediate shots for Hodges tonight despite mediocre and depleted receivers.

I could make points about getting your multi-WR sets on the field last season in order to move the safeties around and isolate either Juju or McDonald on an overmatched sub-package DB. And how that was far more effective at scoring points than rushes behind the guard.

I could point out that the Steelers repeatedly tried to run the ball early in drives against the Chargers but due to getting stuffed and repeated penalties, they had to abandon running the ball because of down and distance.

I could point out that for some reason we are talking about the Chargers run game when the passing attack was what beat the Steelers last season.

I could point out that if you listen to coaches, GMs, players, and tape watching analysts, no one is talking about how much they do or don’t run the ball. They are talking about effective, efficient offense that scores points on a high percentage of possessions. You know, the exact thing the 2018 Steelers had over the course of the season.

But, why would I do that? You have no interest in an honest discussion. You have preselected an opinion and decided to just repeat it over and over again.

st33lersguy
10-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Browns just can't put it together. They have the highest ceiling of any AFC North team they just can't put it all together. Likely going to be the 2nd year in a row Baltimore wins the AFC North only because the team better than them in the division completely self-destructed. Of course the officiating is helping Seattle.

Edman
10-13-2019, 03:12 PM
But, why would I do that? You have no interest in an honest discussion. You have preselected an opinion and decided to just repeat it over and over again.

You would explain how the Steelers lost that game despite aggressively throwing the ball, compared to the Chargers, who had no reason at all to run (16-point deficit), but ran anyway and still won. You state a point (rushing att don't matter) and statistics and data, but it produces minimal to no results. Resulting in nothing more than an unsubstantiated theory.

As long as the Steelers take a couple deep shots tonight with Hodges, they should be able to win. According to the theory.

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 03:31 PM
You would explain how the Steelers lost that game despite aggressively throwing the ball, compared to the Chargers, who had no reason at all to run (16-point deficit), but ran anyway and still won. You state a point (rushing att don't matter) and statistics and data, but it produces minimal to no results. Resulting in nothing more than an unsubstantiated theory.

As long as the Steelers take a couple deep shots tonight with Hodges, they should be able to win. According to the theory.

Again, repeatedly mischaracterizing what others are saying is the refuge of people without anything to say.

The point is not to just spray incompletions deep down the field. You have to hit some of them.

I explained why the Chargers did have a reason to run the ball. I also explained why the Steelers did not.

Lack of understanding is not a valid counter argument.

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 03:35 PM
The Vikings Eagles game is a good example. Vikings had been amazing rushing the ball but had suffered several losses due to zero ability to push the ball downfield.

Today, they hit several for big plays. Stretched out the Eagles defense. Found mismatches and beat the snot out of them.

I’d say that’s a fairly blatant application of theory that produced precisely the predicted and desired results.

Neversatisfied
10-13-2019, 06:25 PM
The Steelers and the Jets have the same record......

AtlantaDan
10-13-2019, 06:52 PM
After week 6 the 4 teams to which the Steelers have lost have a combined total of 3 losses

So far cannot say the record is due to the annual losses to a truly bad team

Edman
10-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Again, repeatedly mischaracterizing what others are saying is the refuge of people without anything to say.

The point is not to just spray incompletions deep down the field. You have to hit some of them.

I explained why the Chargers did have a reason to run the ball. I also explained why the Steelers did not.

Lack of understanding is not a valid counter argument.

"Don't mess up". What a novel concept. Any playcall works if you don't mess up. It's okay to run the wildcat or trick reverse plays. Just impose your will and don't mess up.

That explains everything. Don't mess up. I guess the Chargers just didn't mess up and the Steelers did.

The Vikings Eagles game is a good example. Vikings had been amazing rushing the ball but had suffered several losses due to zero ability to push the ball downfield.

Today, they hit several for big plays. Stretched out the Eagles defense. Found mismatches and beat the snot out of them.

I’d say that’s a fairly blatant application of theory that produced precisely the predicted and desired results.

The Vikings did push the ball down the field. They just couldn't hit them. So suppose they do the same thing the next week, but the big plays aren't there. What do you do?

This has been a problem with the Steelers for years. Over-reliance on the big play has crippled the Offense. Without top talent like Brown to bail them out, we've seen the results. The Offense cannot generate any momentum.

Let's look at our good friends the Chiefs today. They have the absolute best passers in the NFL, but have now lost two straight at home, because the big plays were not there. Today against the Texans they only ran the ball 11 times compared to the Texans, who had 41 rushing attempts as a team. They lost by 7.

The big play is nice, but sometimes it isn't there. You have to take the sure thing. Rudolph appears to be the kind of QB who seems to understand this, but the Steelers coaching staff doesn't, to the teams' detriment.

Hodges is supposedly more fearless compared to Rudolph, so lets see how he does. Theoretically, he should be a lot more successful.

Mojouw
10-13-2019, 08:40 PM
I mean every plan for any thing ever starts with don’t screw up. It’s why we all believe in Murphy’s Law.

Chiefs got beat today not because of what they did on offense but because their defense is inept.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2019, 10:46 PM
So do we start a new 2-4 thread now?

teegre
10-14-2019, 06:46 AM
After week 6 the 4 teams to which the Steelers have lost have a combined total of 3 losses

So far cannot say the record is due to the annual losses to a truly bad team

Bingo!!!

The Steelers have lost to:
-the #1 seed in the AFC
-a team with only one loss
-the #1 seed in the NFC
-the Ravens

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Bingo!!!

The Steelers have lost to:
-the #1 seed in the AFC
-a team with only one loss
-the #1 seed in the NFC
-the Ravens

AND 3 of the 4 losses by a combined 9 points.

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 12:31 PM
12-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

Fire Goodell
10-14-2019, 12:51 PM
I've noticed StillMill only does reviews now when the Steelers lose. I think this dude's a closet Steeler hater

Edman
10-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Offense deserves to be put on the ground and hit...lol

As I said in the Gameday thread. It appears to have worked. I noticed The Offense played a lot more physical last night. Conner and Benny Snell were running a lot harder. More Physical practice is what was needed. I believe The Steelers Offense had gone soft and country club under the luxury of Ben and Antonio Brown’s talent. With them gone, the Defense is leading the team. No pretty points or chasing statistics. The team needs wins. It isn’t pretty and we will complain, but they need to win.

The O did a great job grinding out a tough road win with the Season on the line with Devlin Hodges. Keep it up, and this season may be saved yet.

Steeler-in-west
10-14-2019, 04:45 PM
2-4, but one juju fumble away from being at the top of the division

Born2Steel
10-14-2019, 04:53 PM

OR...1 JuJu fumble and 1Conner fumble from the Steelers being 4-2?

10-14-2019, 05:34 PM
OR...1 JuJu fumble and 1Conner fumble from the Steelers being 4-2? It happens and my point of this whole post is the team is not as bad as their record. I like what I saw last night and think they are headed in the right direction and not writing this season off.

fansince'76
10-14-2019, 05:57 PM
I've noticed StillMill only does reviews now when the Steelers lose. I think this dude's a closet Steeler hater

2-4 = 2 Dong wins? :chuckle:

And another Conner fumble away in Frisco from being firmly in the AFCN driver's seat. The Cryhawks game was quite winnable as well.

Edman
10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
And Tuitt’s bad breaks continue. His torn pec is season-ending.

The dude just cannot catch a break at all.

DesertSteel
10-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Well that just sucks.

fansince'76
10-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Nor can the Steelers, it seems. At some point, the injuries become too much to overcome.

10-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Damn about Tuitt. Thanks mods for the update on the header.

pczach
10-14-2019, 07:22 PM
This really sucks. Tuitt has been mostly unstoppable this season. He has been flat out dominant.

Losing him is a huge blow.

I think we will see what Hargrave can do with more playing time and moving to DE sometimes. Big Dan will probably see more time as well. Everybody will need to step up.

These injuries are completely out of hand this year.

DesertSteel
10-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Here’s how the Steelers offense works:

A. It happens early and we get the lead, in which case, we go conservative the rest of the way.
B. It’s a close game so we stay conservative throughout.
C. We fall behind early so we open up the offense and throw downfield.

We’re living in our fears.

GoSlash27
10-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Contrast this with how the Browns fans are feeling this week: 2-4= "We suck again".

DesertSteel
10-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Contrast this with how the Browns fans are feeling this week: 2-4= "We suck again".
That’s because they do suck.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Nor can the Steelers, it seems. At some point, the injuries become too much to overcome.

That’s why last year feels like such a blown opportunity. Apart from Conner getting hurt for a few games, we were relatively healthy all year. We just had a couple holes on defense (now filled) and a kicker who couldn’t kick
Straight (now also apparently fixed).

If we had last year’s health luck this year, I’d say with this new defense we’d be contenders.

Edman
10-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Tyson Alualu stepped in for Tuitt Last night and the Defense didn’t miss much of a beat. He played very well.

That’s the only consolation I can take from the loss of Tuitt. Still sucks to lose him. He’s been extremely good.

Craic
10-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Here’s how the Steelers offense works:

A. It happens early and we get the lead, in which case, we go conservative the rest of the way.
B. It’s a close game so we stay conservative throughout.
C. We fall behind early so we open up the offense and throw downfield.

We’re living in our fears.

Here's the funny thing.

A. It happens early and we get the lead, in which case, we go conservative the rest of the way. = Cowher Ball
B. It’s a close game so we stay conservative throughout. = Cohwer Ball
C. We fall behind early so we open up the offense and throw downfield. Sometimes = Cowher ball

Yet, I've read several times in these forums where we need to get back to "Steelers football" which basically is Cowherball. :huh:

(Not directed at you, DS, as I honestly don't even remember your thoughts on Cowher, if you've even shared them).

smokin3000gt
10-15-2019, 01:06 AM
Here's the funny thing.

A. It happens early and we get the lead, in which case, we go conservative the rest of the way. = Cowher Ball
B. It’s a close game so we stay conservative throughout. = Cohwer Ball
C. We fall behind early so we open up the offense and throw downfield. Sometimes = Cowher ball

Yet, I've read several times in these forums where we need to get back to "Steelers football" which basically is Cowherball. :huh:

It's quite simple really...

If thing 1 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 2 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 3 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 4 than: piss and moan, sell the team

some people will never be happy regardless of what we do.

I can't believe there are fans (not you) actually bitching about the conservative play calling for our 3rd string, first time starting QB... lol

pczach
10-15-2019, 05:29 AM
The Steelers and the Jets have the same record......

And by some mysterious twist of fate, they have had quarterbacks out for an extended period of time...…...weird.

Fire Goodell
10-17-2019, 04:00 PM
And by some mysterious twist of fate, they have had quarterbacks out for an extended period of time...…...weird.

The Jets are definitely better with Darnold back. I absolutely loved watching them beat down the Cowboys lol

Steeler-in-west
10-17-2019, 04:54 PM
The Jets are definitely better with Darnold back. I absolutely loved watching them beat down the Cowboys lol

bell is also an important part of that offense. We could’ve used him this year, although it looks like Conner, snell and company are coming around...hope someone has taught Conner to hold onto the damn ball...

Rotorhead
10-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Well as stated earlier, we would have to win the rest of the div games, and one of the 3 upcoming difficult upcoming games. We got the win against the Chargers, I am still hopeful for 10-6

Craic
10-20-2019, 04:50 PM
It's quite simple really...

If thing 1 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 2 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 3 than: piss and moan, goats all around
If thing 4 than: piss and moan, sell the team

some people will never be happy regardless of what we do.

I can't believe there are fans (not you) actually bitching about the conservative play calling for our 3rd string, first time starting QB... lol

I know. In fact, I've been one of the ones who have been vocal about not going back to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-mediocrity football. However, with a second and then third string QB, that's exactly what we need to build our offense on in order to properly bring up a young QB and get him up to game speed and able to handle the NFL.