PDA

View Full Version : Roster Moves Coming?

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Assuming neither Rudolph or Washington can practice and play this week. Maybe same with Barron.

Means Lynch gets called up from the PS. Maybe a WR needs brought in to at least run in practice (like Mack @ TE last week and the QB this week).

So that is a couple of roster spots.

I am guess Elliot at OLB and Switzer at WR if the they need two. MAYBE Moncrief at WR if they want to get "bold" about it. Although I think they are going to try and work Moncrief back into the rotation and then flip him for something prior to the trade deadline.

Born2Steel
10-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Chargers, Dolphins, Colts. 3 winnable games. A QB room of Hodges/Lynch doesn't fill me with a ton of hope but it could be worse.(Landry Jones/Josh Dobbs) Hopefully Rudolph can make it back this week. If MR is healthy maybe no moves are made.

How bad is Washington's shoulder? Any news? JuJu, Johnson, Switzer, Moncrief does not look awesome. Maybe Tevin Jones gets the call up for a couple weeks while Washington gets healthy. Will be an interesting week.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Chargers, Dolphins, Colts. 3 winnable games. A QB room of Hodges/Lynch doesn't fill me with a ton of hope but it could be worse.(Landry Jones/Josh Dobbs) Hopefully Rudolph can make it back this week. If MR is healthy maybe no moves are made.

How bad is Washington's shoulder? Any news? JuJu, Johnson, Switzer, Moncrief does not look awesome. Maybe Tevin Jones gets the call up for a couple weeks while Washington gets healthy. Will be an interesting week.

No idea. But I think the last two weeks reminded us all of something that I know I tend to forget. Injuries and corresponding roster moves are not always only about who can/can not play but also who can/can not practice.

There is a lot for this team to juggle right now with the roster.

FWIW, I have not heard anything about any of the injuries and was simply wildly speculating and trying my hardest to send out the "cut Moncrief and Switzer" vibe.

NCSteeler
10-06-2019, 05:56 PM
This is exactly the kind of stuff that pisses me off. Thomas should have been ejected or at least sit the next game. His reckless targeting of the QB leads to more that one loss. Players have to be cut.

What a shit show NFL investigating why the cart didn't work but silent on player safety. Blah blah blah

BS

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
10-06-2019, 06:02 PM

LOL @ 3 winnable games...

BlackAndGold
10-07-2019, 01:28 AM

Well besides the Pats game every loss was winnable. Wouldn't shock me if they are in position to win next week only to beat themselves in the end.

86WARD
10-07-2019, 02:28 AM
Well besides the Pats game every loss was winnable. Wouldn't shock me if they are in position to win next week only to beat themselves in the end.

You forget that Inability to win on the west coast?

BlackAndGold
10-07-2019, 06:23 AM
You forget that Inability to win on the west coast?

Ironically the last team the Steelers beat on the west coast are the Chargers.

FrancoLambert
10-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Maybe one.

DesertSteel
10-07-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm starting to think at this point that Washington is just gonna be one of those guys that doesn't work out for some reason. So really nothing missed with him gone. Lynch is slightly better at QB than Samuels. At 1-4, play with house money and let Hodges fling it.

Rotorhead
10-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Maybe one.

Well, the Chargers did just lose to the Broncos, so . . .

EzraTank
10-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Especially that "easy" win against the Colts who just went into KC and won.

Mojouw
10-11-2019, 02:00 PM
So Elliot and Johnson get sent to waivers for Edmunds and Lynch to come up to the roster from the PS.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/report-steelers-to-waive-johnson-elliott-to-make-room-for-edmunds-lynch/

tube517
10-11-2019, 03:25 PM
What is up w/Nix's injury? At some point, is IR an option?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2019, 08:45 PM
So Elliot and Johnson get sent to waivers for Edmunds and Lynch to come up to the roster from the PS.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/report-steelers-to-waive-johnson-elliott-to-make-room-for-edmunds-lynch/

I hope Johnson makes it back. He looked good in preseason and should be on schedule to replace Finney next season and maybe Foster the following. IMO

Mojouw
10-11-2019, 09:21 PM
I hope Johnson makes it back. He looked good in preseason and should be on schedule to replace Finney next season and maybe Foster the following. IMO

I really hope he clears waivers and comes back also. Depending on how they choose to spend money on the offseason, he may absolutely need to replace Foster/Finney.

BlackAndGold
10-14-2019, 11:35 AM

Yep.

Mojouw
10-14-2019, 04:05 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/bengals-claim-og-fred-johnson-off-waivers/

Great. At least Switzer, Chickillo, and Dangerfield are still on the roster. I get that special teams is 1/3 of the game and all that.

But c'mon. When are they going to just realize these guys don't actually contribute? I mean Switzer had one play specifically called up for him and he couldn't elude a single defender. He isn't a viable NFL player.

Dangerfield can't push Kelly for snaps in the newish 3 safety package. That tells me all I need to know about his usefulness as an NFL defender.

Chickillo can play a little. But I'd rather Ola gets his snaps to see if Ola can take over a starting role once Dupree is off to $greener$ pastures.

BlackAndGold
10-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Seen that coming.

86WARD
10-14-2019, 04:59 PM

Great. At least Switzer, Chickillo, and Dangerfield are still on the roster. I get that special teams is 1/3 of the game and all that.

But c'mon. When are they going to just realize these guys don't actually contribute? I mean Switzer had one play specifically called up for him and he couldn't elude a single defender. He isn't a viable NFL player.

Dangerfield can't push Kelly for snaps in the newish 3 safety package. That tells me all I need to know about his usefulness as an NFL defender.

Chickillo can play a little. But I'd rather Ola gets his snaps to see if Ola can take over a starting role once Dupree is off to $greener$ pastures.

Dangerfield, Chickillo and Switzer in that order. I tried to rationalize why Switzer was on the roster but it’s just not working anymore...

I’m almost sure that Chickillo and Dangerfield wouldn’t get claimed or signed to a different teams roster...

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Dangerfield, Chickillo and Switzer in that order. I tried to rationalize why Switzer was on the roster but it’s just not working anymore...

I’m almost sure that Chickillo and Dangerfield wouldn’t get claimed or signed to a different teams roster...

Chickillo is on a 2-year contract that was basically set up so that half of this year's salary is dead money next year by way of a signing bonus. So releasing him would mess with our salary cap, and we would also have to re-sign him to a new contract for at least the league minimum in order to bring him back. Meaning another $500k or so expense that is new money (that we actually have to pay him, as well as more cap space that we have to use) on top of what we ate from the accelerated dead money.

Long story short, that guy is on the roster for the duration of the season unless he goes to IR.

AtlantaDan
10-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Ben and Duck now tied for career wins as starting QB in west coast games with one each? :chuckle:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Do they keep Lynch on the roster now and carry three QB's the rest of the way ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Do they keep Lynch on the roster now and carry three QB's the rest of the way ? I don't see why. Likely release Lynch and sign back to PS.

Buggs gets a hat on Sundays now? Tuitt to IR and Mondeaux comes up?

10-14-2019, 06:17 PM
I don't see why. Likely release Lynch and sign back to PS.

Buggs gets a hat on Sundays now? Tuitt to IR and Mondeaux comes up? I don't either and why I asked. Sux about Tuitt big time. I do like Mondo though.

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 06:33 PM
I would imagine they release Lynch and try to get him back on the PS if Rudolph is ready to go; a third QB just ties up a roster space if he is not going to be active and we don't want to keep him as a future prospect. We don't have much invested in Lynch, and he doesn't fit either of those profiles.

Looks like we will have two roster spaces free with Tuitt heading to IR. Maybe we sign another RB also, if Samuels is going to be out for a month and Conner may be beat up as well?

10-14-2019, 06:54 PM
I would imagine they release Lynch and try to get him back on the PS if Rudolph is ready to go; a third QB just ties up a roster space if he is not going to be active and we don't want to keep him as a future prospect. We don't have much invested in Lynch, and he doesn't fit either of those profiles.

Looks like we will have two roster spaces free with Tuitt heading to IR. Maybe we sign another RB also, if Samuels is going to be out for a month and Conner may be beat up as well? I'm okay with another RB as long as they don't bring Frenchy back.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2019, 07:09 PM
I'm okay with another RB as long as they don't bring Frenchy back.

Another RB? We don’t need no stinking RB...

It’s Benny Snell football!

10-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Another RB? We don’t need no stinking RB...

It’s Benny Snell football! Haha my favorite Bogart movie.

86WARD
10-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Chickillo is on a 2-year contract that was basically set up so that half of this year's salary is dead money next year by way of a signing bonus. So releasing him would mess with our salary cap, and we would also have to re-sign him to a new contract for at least the league minimum in order to bring him back. Meaning another $500k or so expense that is new money (that we actually have to pay him, as well as more cap space that we have to use) on top of what we ate from the accelerated dead money.

Long story short, that guy is on the roster for the duration of the season unless he goes to IR.

Releasing Chickillo and eating that salary cap money isn’t going to make or break the team in the least bit. If that’s why they are keeping him, that’s just poor.

steelreserve
10-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Releasing Chickillo and eating that salary cap money isn’t going to make or break the team in the least bit. If that’s why they are keeping him, that’s just poor.

I believe it's a couple million bucks.

They made up their minds early on that they were going to roll with this guy no matter what for at least a year, and gave him a contract that locked that in. Whether that was a smart move is open to interpretation, but that's what they did.

Bottom line, I do not think they will make a move that amounts to spending $2.5M for the 53rd man on the roster, when they can accomplish the same thing for $500K. I don't see any other guys likely to be released who are worth that instead of Chickillo.

AtlantaDan
10-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Losing Johnson adds to a pattern of losing players who may develop in the future

Mojouw
10-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Losing Johnson adds to a pattern of losing players who may develop in the future

I guess it’s good that the bottom of your roster is better than the bottom of other teams rosters?

I suspect we won’t be lamenting much of this as long as this upcoming off-season cycle yields another crop of promising players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Yup, I think Johnson with his size and preseason performance, was poised to be another Ramon Foster type UDFA find. But, since they left him unprotected, then maybe it wasn't that strong of a possibility and maybe they think Derwin Gray wasn't as far off. I think Gray moves into Guard spot and has a chance to make the 53 next season.

Steelers also signed Tony Brooks-James to the PS. As a RB at Oregon he ran a 4.45 at his pro day, has breakaway speed and decent balance between the tackles. At 5/9" 190lbs, he is sturdy, but not big. Another Oregon RB with speed. I kind of like what he could bring instead of Edmunds, but he likely wont see any action up with Steelers this year.

AtlantaDan
10-15-2019, 10:46 AM
I guess it’s good that the bottom of your roster is better than the bottom of other teams rosters?

I suspect we won’t be lamenting much of this as long as this upcoming off-season cycle yields another crop of promising players.

True assuming none of these players become valuable starters for other teams and in hindsight would have been starters for the Steelers

Only reason I can see for Switzer still being on the roster is there is nobody else who Tomlin regards as a safe bet not to fumble punt fair catches & returns - being Ben's pal presumably was of little protection for Switzer once Ben was lost for the season and Ben could not contend Switzer was a valued dump off receiver for him

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 11:39 AM
True assuming none of these players become valuable starters for other teams and in hindsight would have been starters for the Steelers

Only reason I can see for Switzer still being on the roster is there is nobody else who Tomlin regards as a safe bet not to fumble punt fair catches & returns - being Ben's pal presumably was of little protection for Switzer once Ben was lost for the season and Ben could not contend Switzer was a valued dump off receiver for him

I think Switzer has the best hands on the team and the quickest lateral movement on the team. But, currently with the QB situation and all the wildcat offense and heavy run game with no deep passing, it crowds the LOS where the notion of spreading the defense out and letting a quick guy work the underneath routes isn't part of the offense. Fichtner seems to want to run crossing routes and have WR's block for the run.

I think you are correct in that he is the best returner and that has value, but I also think with the pared down offense, his skillset isn't as important. I still don't think Dionte Spencer is that much of an upgrade, if at all, other than to run reverses to and return kicks, so letting him move on isn't a deal breaker for me.

10-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Spencer as a kick returner is a big upgrade over Switz. Wr neither bring that much to the table.

Born2Steel
10-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Until the return units learn to effectively block I don’t think any returner is an upgrade over any other. Go with the guy with the sure hands. Maybe the return teams aren’t helping us but we sure as hell don’t need any fumble fingers back there hurting us.

And on this topic...I’m not looking for TD returns every week but why can we not get decent returns on kickoffs? They made them where everybody starts from the same place now basically. Is the 25-30 yardline really asking that much?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Spencer as a kick returner is a big upgrade over Switz. Wr neither bring that much to the table.

Spencer has 13 punt returns for 113 yards, 9.1 yards per return. Switzer 5 returns for 28 yards, 5.6 yards per return. If we take Spencer's average and apply it to the 5 returns to compare, its a total of 17 yard difference. Not exactly game changing.

10-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Until the return units learn to effectively block I don’t think any returner is an upgrade over any other. Go with the guy with the sure hands. Maybe the return teams aren’t helping us but we sure as hell don’t need any fumble fingers back there hurting us.

And on this topic...I’m not looking for TD returns every week but why can we not get decent returns on kickoffs? They made them where everybody starts from the same place now basically. Is the 25-30 yardline really asking that much? I know Balt was kicking short on kickoffs cause they knew our return game sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Spencer has 13 punt returns for 113 yards, 9.1 yards per return. Switzer 5 returns for 28 yards, 5.6 yards per return. If we take Spencer's average and apply it to the 5 returns to compare, its a total of 17 yard difference. Not exactly game changing. What about Kick returns? Are they using Spencer for that ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 12:29 PM
I know Balt was kicking short on kickoffs cause they knew our return game sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

What about Kick returns? Are they using Spencer for that ?

Not sure. The kickoff game has really been ruined by the NFL to the point where it is so devalued and slanted against the returning team, I hardly consider it part of the game any more.

10-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Not sure. The kickoff game has really been ruined by the NFL to the point where it is so devalued and slanted against the returning team, I hardly consider it part of the game any more. I got curious and look it up, Spencer has 1 kick return for 60 yards. Since he only has one return and a nice one. I guess teams are kicking out of the stadium to avoid him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2019, 01:17 PM
I got curious and look it up, Spencer has 1 kick return for 60 yards. Since he only has one return and a nice one. I guess teams are kicking out of the stadium to avoid him.

Yeah, he probably reminds the rest of the league of a young Devin Hester.

10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Yeah, he probably reminds the rest of the league of a young Devin Hester. Problem is teams are kicking on us where we have to return it cause they know we won't get to the 25.

86WARD
10-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Spencer has 13 punt returns for 113 yards, 9.1 yards per return. Switzer 5 returns for 28 yards, 5.6 yards per return. If we take Spencer's average and apply it to the 5 returns to compare, its a total of 17 yard difference. Not exactly game changing.

That could also be the way the Special Teams are fun. Unless your name is Antonio Brown, I wouldn’t expect much as far as a return goes in the Steelers punt return game...