PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release TE Xavier Grimble With Injury Settlement

stillers4me
10-05-2019, 08:35 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have cut TE Xavier Grimble from their injured reserve list with an injury settlement, according to the NFL’s official transaction report issued today. He is now a free agent.

Grimble was placed on IR on September 25th after suffering a torn calf muscle. He had struggled in his first three weeks in uniform, catching just one pass for three yards. A lack of depth at the position forced the Steelers to trade a 2020 5th round pick for Nick Vannett. Vannett caught two passes for 28 yards in his Pittsburgh debut last Monday......

read more @ https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/steelers-release-te-xavier-grimble-with-injury-settlement/

DesertSteel
10-05-2019, 08:47 AM
There goes the season.

AtlantaDan
10-05-2019, 09:24 AM
But everyone knew there was no need to sign a TE this offseason since Grimble was certain to step up after Jesse James left and be a capable backup to McDonald

Compared to this devastating news the loss of Ben is just a speed bump

Shoes
10-05-2019, 10:26 AM
He should have been gone long ago.

steelreserve
10-05-2019, 10:27 AM
"But who CARES who the backup TEs are, they hardly play anyway, omg get a LIFE!"

- Every person on this message board, Sept. 2019

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2019, 10:27 AM
But everyone knew there was no need to sign a TE this offseason since Grimble was certain to step up after Jesse James left and be a capable backup to McDonald

Compared to this devastating news the loss of Ben is just a speed bump

There was need, but I don't think much in the way of a decent TE was on the market. I mean, there were names like Lee Smith and Michael Roberts being thrown around here in the offseason as possible signings that didn't work out. At some point, need to draft one on at least day 2.

Dwinsgames
10-05-2019, 10:30 AM
yawn

Mojouw
10-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Funny part is the lions are paying James 6 million to run third behind Hockenson and Logan Thomas.

I bet James would come back for less and actually play.

teegre
10-05-2019, 12:15 PM
There was need, but I don't think much in the way of a decent TE was on the market. I mean, there were names like Lee Smith and Michael Roberts being thrown around here in the offseason as possible signings that didn't work out. At some point, need to draft one on at least day 2.

Yep

After the top three TEs in last year’s draft, there was a bunch of meh. Drafting Diontae Johnson was the smarter move (than taking a blade TE), and likewise, drafting Justin Layne was logical (considering how awful our secondary has been). After that, the options were “less than meh”.

Craic
10-05-2019, 04:14 PM
"But who CARES who the backup TEs are, they hardly play anyway, omg get a LIFE!"

- Every person on this message board, Sept. 2019
Not quite every person.

86WARD
10-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Another player that was rostered for way too long and probably won’t end up on another NFL roster.

Dwinsgames
10-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Not quite every person.

exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Another player that was fostered for way too long and probably won’t end up on another NFL roster.

he won't he had several years to make some impact here and with little in front of him most of the time did exactly nothing ( or as close to nothing as one can do and get paid )

Born2Steel
10-06-2019, 09:46 AM
With a #1 McDonald and a #2 Vannett is there still a need to draft a TE early? Not judging with this question just weighing the thread's opinion. McDonald has a history of missing games due to injury. Vannett is going to be a FA after this season. Gentry is still very young and raw at the position. Kevin Rader and Christian Scotland-Williamson remain on the PS. From what I can find there are no TE prospects in this upcoming draft that look any better than what we currently have on the roster. There is always potential and the Steelers don't draft until round 2 so.....thoughts?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2019, 11:02 AM
With a #1 McDonald and a #2 Vannett is there still a need to draft a TE early? Not judging with this question just weighing the thread's opinion. McDonald has a history of missing games due to injury. Vannett is going to be a FA after this season. Gentry is still very young and raw at the position. Kevin Rader and Christian Scotland-Williamson remain on the PS. From what I can find there are no TE prospects in this upcoming draft that look any better than what we currently have on the roster. There is always potential and the Steelers don't draft until round 2 so.....thoughts?

I hope they make a play to extend Vannett. McDonald is a walking injury, Gentry will be a decent #2 in time. Still should look in draft.