PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Thoughts

Chidi29
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Domination by us. Just having two healthy QBs does wonders for what you can do with the playbook; especially when your starter is, you know, competent. Force them to get way behind, abandon the running game, and go to work against a young QB. Freeman did play pretty well, I'll give him credit for that. A heck of a lot better than Vince Young.

First Half

- Reed's times: 3.76 (4), 4.07 (-2), 3.85 (TB- 3rd of season), 4.25 (8).

- Perfect example of why I've been anti-rollout. Look at the Batch interception to Talib. It took away half the field, and leads to throws across your body. Even as a vet, Batch still made that mistake and Talib made a good play on the ball.

- That's the second pass Moore has dropped this season out of just a handful (at most) targets.

- Ran the Wildcat at least twice. First was a reverse to Wallace that went nowhere. The second was a draw to Mendenhall that went for a sizeable gain.

- One element you might have missed on the first Wallace touchdown. You'll mainly hear about how Wallace was able to get behind Grimm, how the ball was underthrown, but watch Batch before the throw. Legursky gets beat pretty badly to his outside. Batch feels the rush, calmly steps up keeping his feet set and eyes downfield, and delivers to Wallace. No happy feet, no flushing himself out of the pocket. Just cool, calm, and collected. Dennis Dixon can't do this.

- Mundy got shaken up attempting to break the wedge. He later returned, but it's a dirty job that offers no recognition.

- Allen got a few snaps in place of Clark. Not sure as to why. Maybe Clark just needed a breather in this Tampa heat.

- Worth noting that Blount's bigger runs came against the Hood/Eason pairing (Hampton was in there though). Runs went to Hood's side where he's still making the transition to playing that five technique. The strong side end is obviously very important to defending the run. Especially since our linebackers don't all attack the ballcarrier, opting for gap control. We'll have one come to the outside of the tackle to seal the edge, have the other ILB come down through the "A" gap (Between center and guard) to guard against a cutback (Teams like Cincy love to do this against us). That leads the LE and strong side linebacker to try to collapse that hole and not allow the back to come through clean. If you can do that, you'll allow the backer coming through the A gap to get him from behind. This is sorta what it looks like.

http://i55.tinypic.com/317h9fk.jpg

- Watch Hampton on the play after the tipped, one-handed grab by Winslow. Destroys Jeff Faine, virtually bodyslams him, and the surge causes Freeman to trip and fall.

- I love watching Flozell run block. Early in the second quarter he just extends an arm out to Ruud and knocks him down.

- Antonio Brown got a look in 4 WR sets. First time at WR all year long. I'm assuming Emmanuel is healthy. The team is just opting to go with Brown. That's how it was for Lewis and Burnett last year. Lewis got the hat Week One, but Burnett was active the rest of the year.

- Even though he once broke his collarbone refusing to do it, Batch still doesn't slide. It's awesome to see, but I can't help but say a prayer every step he took on that run.

- Real downhill running by Mendenhall on his TD. Good blocks from Ward, Adams, and Spaeth.

- Ramon Foster rotated with Doug. Jonathon Scott with Flozell.

- Fox and Foote also rotated in as we tried to keep guys fresh.

- 2:15 left in the half: Don't know how Batch made that throw to El. Pocket collapes with Pouncey getting pushed back, Batch's feet aren't set, and he still fires a laser to where only his receiver can get it. Worst case scenario, the pass falls incomplete. No chance for a turnover.

- We struggled with TE and RB screens. Couldn't get our guards and tackles out there quick enough.

- Ward TD: My favorite play from Batch. I love when quarterbacks manipulate the defense. In his drop, he looks to the right sideline at Wallace. This draws the MIKE Ruud to the right and the strong safety is naturally drifitng that way in his Cover 2 shell. Batch then looks to the middle of the field, knowing Ward is coming across on a crossing route. He immediately fires it for a TD. If he doesn't look Ruud off, the window doesn't open up. If he tries to throw it, it's likely to be picked. I remember that happening to Ben against Oakland last year when the CB or safety caught him staring Ward down in the back of the end zone.

- Our special teams lineup: Brown and Ike as the outside contain guys. Madison is a pinch guy. Can't really tell who the other is. Maybe Battle. Could have been Mundy. Didn't get a great look.

- Gay with some really solid tackling sans the one attempt on Graham in the second half. Made some big plays.

Second Half

- Issue with the failed 4th down conversion. Johnson whiffed on his block on Ruud. He was able to knife through and slow Redman down just enough to allow the CB and saftey to converge and stop him from picking up the first.

- Nick Eason with his first sack of the season. Great story he's been so kudos to him.

- Tomlin walked out a few steps onto the field to high-five Hood after his deflection/near interception.

- 4:35 left in the 3rd: Ran that 22 double that scored the game winner against Atlanta. Went for a 34 yard gain this time around.

- Out of all the guys on the right side of the line, we pull Heath the most. A testament to how good of a run blocker he is. And maybe how bad our RG and RTs are, especially with Essex in the lineup.

- It looked like Tampa Bay finally caught a break after a long screen pass to end the third quarter. Nope. Kiesel rumbles in for a touchdown the first play of the fourth.

- Got some backups on defense in the 4th: Madison, Worilds, Sylvester.

- Like Tomlin said, Madison's hammy isn't an issue, Didn't even come out immediately after hurting it.

- For the record, Worilds replaced Woodley. Not James.

- Jonathan Scott came in at LT, Foster at LG.

- Sylvester ended up playing OLB for us, replacing Harrison. Actually ended up looking a bit more athletic than Worilds did off the edge.

- On a total contradictory note, congrats to Worilds for his first sack!

- I'll give Blount a pass for going crazy after scoring in a blowout. It was his first touchdown.

- I thought Legursky played pretty well. He doesn't move all that well laterally, as evident by him getting beat on the first Wallace touchdown, and he isn't the physical prototype by any means (6'1, 300). But he does a really good job of walling off linebackers and defensive tackles on pull plays (Mendenhall's 34 yard run is a great example of that). As others have said, he has a quick first step. That's how he was chosen to be our FB in "Bronko" packages. That comes in handy in short-yardage situations when all you're looking for is a surge and on pull plays, which he did a few times. Gotta love the comment Tomlin made about Essex regarding Legursky's play. Legursky keeping the starting gig? I wouldn't be against it though I do want to see what he looks like against a more complex defense. Tampa Bay was pretty vanilla in their pass rush.

- Kemo's foot sprain didn't effect him. Looked fine.

- Zero sacks allowed, and just four hurries. Way to go O-line!

Sack Counter (Week)

None. Keep in mind that happened just once last year, and that didn't happen until Week 12.

Sack Counter (Year)

Flozell Adams: 1.5
Dennis Dixon: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Heath Miller: .5

Injuries

Biggest being Chris Hoke's MCL sprain. Questionable this week. Personally, I don't see him playing. Good chance McClendon gets called up if Hoke can't go.

Will Allen's injury may have looked bad, but he returned to the game.

Essex's ankle is improving. Not entirely sure what his status is though.

Madison and Hood got nicked up. Tomlin didn't consider either serious. I don't either.

Slanted August
09-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Awesome work Chidi. I love this stuff in that everyone on TV sees a great play and want to praise the WR or RB but its really what had to happen behind the scenes to make that play possible is what I am just as interested about. There are also some good video clips of Red doing some nice work in blocking, etc that will never make a highlight reel but really is encouraging in his progress and development.

solardave
09-30-2010, 02:58 AM
Chidi,

I have to say I really enjoy reading your posts. You remind me of things I saw but also bring up a lot of what I've missed. You do a really good job of breaking it all down.

Austin87
09-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Good stuff Chidi. This post and the analyzing the O_line (Posted by Steeldude) are the ones I look forward to the most each week.

crcsnail
09-30-2010, 10:12 AM
nice read as always .also one of my fav reads for the week :)

SteelerSal
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Sweet breakdown, Chidi!!!

Will Allen's injury may have looked bad, but he returned to the game.

Man, when it shown the replay, it looked like his lower leg snapped, then I saw him later in the game. Glad he seems alright.

Steeldude
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
good read, chidi:rockon:

Indo
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Great breakdown

I, too, love reading these. Keep 'em coming...