PDA

View Full Version : Devin Bush leads Rookie of the Year Race

HollywoodSteel
10-01-2019, 04:25 PM
I think it’s safe to say that at this point in the season, we are happy with our 2019 #1 pick, yes?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rookie-power-rankings-week-5-devin-bush-leads-a-wide-open-rookie-of-the-year-race/

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2019, 12:31 AM
-He's too small.
-He doesnt have as many college TFL as Devin White does
-He is too short to cover TE's in the NFL.
-He doesnt make many splash plays or INT's.

:sarcasm2:

teegre
10-02-2019, 06:38 AM
It should be noted...

Germaine Pratt’s stat-line:
4 total tackles (1 solo, 3 assists), 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 everything

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2019, 08:24 AM
It should be noted...

Germaine Pratt’s stat-line:
4 total tackles (1 solo, 3 assists), 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 everything

Yeah, he isn't getting much playing time. He is behind Nick Vigil on the depth chart.

DesertSteel
10-02-2019, 10:53 AM
I'd agree for defense, but I'd put Minshew and Jacobs ahead of him overall.

Rotorhead
10-02-2019, 11:20 AM
I didn’t see D White on there, how is he doing so far?

tube517
10-02-2019, 11:34 AM
I didn’t see D White on there, how is he doing so far?

Injured. I think he missed the last game.

HollywoodSteel
10-02-2019, 12:03 PM
I'd agree for defense, but I'd put Minshew and Jacobs ahead of him overall.

Yeah, at the end of the day it’s always gonna be hard to objectively compare offensive and defensive performances.
I’m just really trying to take joy in anything I can find, given our disastrous start of the season.

It’s just nice to see an evaluation turn out to be accurate, and a bold decision to move up in the draft to be warranted. I still expect some rookie mistakes along the way, but all and all I really like what I’ve seen out of the kid so far. He looks to be developing into that crucial piece of the puzzle that we’ve so sorely needed since Shazier went down.

In a season awash with disappointment and understandable anger from fans, I’m gonna take the little victories where I can find them. And this kid meeting expectations makes me smile. :)

Shoes
10-02-2019, 01:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001061158/article/nfl-rookie-rankings-gardner-minshew-on-top-at-quarter-mark

tube517
10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001061158/article/nfl-rookie-rankings-gardner-minshew-on-top-at-quarter-mark

Danny Dimes and Uncle Rico won't be able to sustain this for the whole year.

Fire Goodell
10-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Uncle Rico is gonna win it this year, it's the QB factor. All you have to do is play 'pretty good' as a rookie QB and you're a shoe in.

Honestly the jagoffs don't need him to be great, just manage the game and make no mistakes. Just run it with Fournette and let the defense win it for you. If they don't turn the ball over they're tough to beat.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Danny Dimes and Uncle Rico won't be able to sustain this for the whole year.

I'm buying on Danny Dimes, but selling on Uncle Rico. I think the hype train is gonna slow and Uncle Rico is gonna realize he is Charlie Whitehurst of Zack Mettenberger.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Bush continues his strong campaign for DROY

I think it’s safe to say that pretty much everyone here is good with the Steelers decision to move up and take him. I can’t remember the last time a rookie on our defense did this well, this soon. TJ Watt was obviously a stud from the get go, but Bush’s adjustment to the NFL is even more impressive, I think. Being able to rush the passer straight out of college isn’t THAT rare, but excelling at ILB in our system right off the bat is not something I’ve seen in modern history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2019/10/16/20917049/steelers-ilb-devin-bush-wins-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week-award-for-week-6-performance-chargers

- - - Updated - - -

Bush continues his strong campaign for DROY

I think it’s safe to say that pretty much everyone here is good with the Steelers decision to move up and take him. I can’t remember the last time a rookie on our defense did this well, this soon. TJ Watt was obviously a stud from the get go, but Bush’s adjustment to the NFL is even more impressive, I think. Being able to rush the passer straight out of college isn’t THAT rare, but excelling at ILB in our system right off the bat is not something I’ve seen in modern history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2019/10/16/20917049/steelers-ilb-devin-bush-wins-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week-award-for-week-6-performance-chargers

86WARD
10-17-2019, 05:33 PM
It’s not really close at this stage...

Mojouw
10-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Nick Bosa is going to have something to say about this before it is all over.

HollywoodSteel
10-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Nick Bosa is going to have something to say about this before it is all over.

Bosa plays a sexier position so he’s gonna end up with more sacks.

But right now Bosa only has 2 more sacks than Bush. Bush has an interception (Bosa doesn’t) and Bush has scored a TD.

But in addition to that Bush has 52 tackles to Bosa’s 9. So at the end of the day how do you compare the impact each player has respectively?

As of this moment, I’d give the edge to Bush as the more impressive player as a rookie.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Bush has 2 interceptions to Bosa’s none.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Doesn't Bush have fumble recoveries as well ? I remember the one Minkah knocked out against the 49ers. Thought he might had another too.

Mojouw
10-17-2019, 07:35 PM
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/defensive-rookie-year-odds/

Allen or Bosa takes it. Pass rushers always do better in these kind of things.

Hawkman
10-17-2019, 08:53 PM
I don’t really care, and neither should he. If he keeps playing the the way he has been, then the accolades will come. Let’s just hope he stays healthy and keeps doing the things he has been. I love the guy, but if we go 2-14 and have the Rookie of the Year, who is happy about that.:stirthepot::heh:

teegre
10-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Here is the hierarchy for most awards (be it NFL MVP, Heisman, DROY, Offensive Player of the Week):

1. Does he play QB?

2. Are you sure that he plays QB?

3. He can’t be named Roethlisberger.

4. Is he a pass-rusher?

5. He can’t be named James Harrison.

6. He also can’t be named Aaron Donald, even though he may be the most disruptive defensive player we have seen in thirty years.

7. Please, tell me his last name is Manning.

8. Everyone else is now qualified.

Shoes
10-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Here is the hierarchy for most awards (be it NFL MVP, Heisman, DROY, Offensive Player of the Week):

1. Does he play QB?

2. Are you sure that he plays QB?

3. He can’t be named Roethlisberger.

4. Is he a pass-rusher?

5. He can’t be named James Harrison.

6. He also can’t be named Aaron Donald, even though he may be the most disruptive defensive player we have seen in thirty years.

7. Please, tell me his last name is Manning.

8. Everyone else is now qualified.

:lol:

tube517
10-18-2019, 09:23 AM
-He's too small.

How come WorilDONGpree sacks aren't factored in here? :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
10-18-2019, 11:03 AM
How come WorilDONGpree sacks aren't factored in here? :chuckle:

Cause only Steelers players can get dong sacks. We have to look at our players with the harshest of criticism, while every other team's players gets a free pass :chuckle:

But to also get dong sacks, you have to be in the DongHouse™. So Bud Dupree is criticized for dong sacks, while TJ Watt just makes great plays.

There's numerous ways to get into the Donghouse:
1- Being a 1st-2nd round pick and not playing at a pro bowl level for the first 2-3 years
2- Production dropping off after getting a big contract
3- Being overpaid and production not matching that pay

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2019, 02:43 PM
I don’t really care, and neither should he. If he keeps playing the the way he has been, then the accolades will come. Let’s just hope he stays healthy and keeps doing the things he has been. I love the guy, but if we go 2-14 and have the Rookie of the Year, who is happy about that.:stirthepot::heh:

I don’t really care that much about him winning a meaningless award. I just like validation that we made the right decision in the draft. We’ve been kind of hit and miss with linebackers in the Tomlin era, and we’ve drafted a lot of them.

The last two first round linebackers seem to be working out so far. :)

10-18-2019, 02:50 PM
I don’t really care that much about him winning a meaningless award. I just like validation that we made the right decision in the draft. We’ve been kind of hit and miss with linebackers in the Tomlin era, and we’ve drafted a lot of them.

The last two first round linebackers seem to be working out so far. :) Don't forget Shazier and that makes three. Track record isn't all that bad. Sounds like a Meat Loaf song Three out of five ain't bad.

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Don't forget Shazier and that makes three. Track record isn't all that bad. Sounds like a Meat Loaf song Three out of five ain't bad.

Dupree was more recent than Shazier so I can’t say more than 2 in a row without getting killed around here. :)

DesertSteel
10-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Hits on inside linebackers and misses on the outside...

86WARD
10-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Dupree wasn’t a total miss though...they’ve done much much worse than Dupree.

DesertSteel
10-18-2019, 08:02 PM
I'd agree if he had one more year on his contract, but playing well for 6 games in his last year isn't enough to merit a mid-1st round pick.

st33lersguy
10-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Bosa has to be considered the favorite. Edge rusher and on a team that's winning, the impact he's had, Bosa's leading the race

86WARD
10-18-2019, 08:28 PM
I'd agree if he had one more year on his contract, but playing well for 6 games in his last year isn't enough to merit a mid-1st round pick.

No. It’s not but they’ve done a lot worse than picking Dupree (and his portfolio) in the first round. He wasn’t the first round production you want but he wasn’t a total bust either.

DesertSteel
10-18-2019, 09:04 PM
No. It’s not but they’ve done a lot worse than picking Dupree (and his portfolio) in the first round. He wasn’t the first round production you want but he wasn’t a total bust either.
Well Jarvis Jones takes the prize for recent busts, by a mile.

teegre
10-18-2019, 10:30 PM
At one end of the spectrum was Jarvis Jones. All production, limited physical talent.

On the other end was Bud Dupree. All physical talent, limited production.

SUMMATION:
Watt & The Cobra are the perfect ratio of talent and production.

NCSteeler
10-19-2019, 01:34 PM
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/defensive-rookie-year-odds/

Allen or Bosa takes it. Pass rushers always do better in these kind of things.Same reason Aaron Smith never got the love he deserved outside of Pittsburgh. Media loves sexy stats

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Hawkman
10-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Hits on inside linebackers and misses on the outside...

T.J. ??

silver & black
10-19-2019, 04:50 PM
-He's too small.

I was hoping the Raiders would draft either one of them.

DesertSteel
10-19-2019, 05:18 PM
T.J. ??
Sans TJ. He’s my man. If you go back to March before his draft you’ll find the official draft TJ Watt thread started by me.

10-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Sans TJ. He’s my man. If you go back to March before his draft you’ll find the official draft TJ Watt thread started by me. You wasn't the only one pimping him and sure there is post of mine back then as well. Was actually the first player in about 7 years the Steelers drafted I wanted in the 1st RD, Amazing he drop that far to us.

HollywoodSteel
10-19-2019, 06:23 PM
You wasn't the only one pimping him and sure there is post of mine back then as well. Was actually the first player in about 7 years the Steelers drafted I wanted in the 1st RD, Amazing he drop that far to us.

Yeah, I’m not even a fan of college football, but I loved the idea of drafting a Watt brother simply off of what I know about the family and their work ethic. With people around him vouching for his abilities on the field, I was confident he’d live up to his potential.

It’s a little similar with Bush. Once you know the ability is there, look to the family situation. Often you can tell if a kid will work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be, or rest on his natural abilities.

It’s also important to evaluate their intelligence. Both Bush and Watt really passed that above the neck test for me.

10-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I’m not even a fan of college football, but I loved the idea of drafting a Watt brother simply off of what I know about the family and their work ethic. With people around him vouching for his abilities on the field, I was confident he’d live up to his potential.

It’s a little similar with Bush. Once you know the ability is there, look to the family situation. Often you can tell if a kid will work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be, or rest on his natural abilities.

It’s also important to evaluate their intelligence. Both Bush and Watt really passed that above the neck test for me. Yep Pedigree alone made Watt a good choice. I caught a few college games of him and he was a beast on the left side.Took a year but glad the Steelers figure out putting him there. Heck so happy they drafted him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2019, 12:04 PM
I was hoping the Raiders would draft either one of them.

Yeah, and if the Steelers didn't trade up to get Bush, he would have been a Bengal most likely.

Kirk Morrison was always an underrated Raider ILB I thought. Somebody like that on defense is always good on the field.

teegre
10-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Kirk Morrison

One of my favorite non-Steelers.

Good player, great analyst, outstanding person.

86WARD
10-27-2019, 05:33 PM
I think Bosa has it at this point...lol. Dude is balling out today...

pczach
10-27-2019, 05:59 PM
I think Bosa has it at this point...lol. Dude is balling out today...

Bosa is going to be a force as long as he stays healthy. He's the real deal.

I said it when he was coming out. Baby Bosa is going to be better than his big brother. Maybe a lot better.

st33lersguy
10-27-2019, 06:03 PM
As long as Bosa stays healthy and the 49ers keep winning it's going to be him. Playing a major role in turning a losing team into a contending team will earn him extra points, especially over Bush who while great thus far is on a losing team

HollywoodSteel
10-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Bosa has to be considered the favorite. Edge rusher and on a team that's winning, the impact he's had, Bosa's leading the race

After today... yup

Mojouw
10-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Signed. Sealed. And Delivered. Bosa has this thing locked up just about. It would take a collapse by him and an epic run of game altering plays by anyone else to change the outcome at this point.

AtlantaDan
10-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Signed. Sealed. And Delivered. Bosa has this thing locked up just about. It would take a collapse by him and an epic run of game altering plays by anyone else to change the outcome at this point.

After losing $$$ over the past month by betting against them I finally concede the 49ers with that defense are the current class of the NFC - great rookie on a team playing great usually gets the award

In hindsight the Steelers nearly beating the 49ers on the road might have been the Steelers best performance of the season - I thought Bosa abusing AV was due to AV having a bad game but Bosa is simply that good

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Agreed, but still doesn't diminish any performance by Bush and the fact that the Steelers look to have found their impactful ILB.

ps. I still love all the pre draft hate this kid was getting for his height, lack of sacks, INT's, TFL's etc. Just draftnik talk from a bunch of people that didn't bother to watch him play.

Mojouw
10-28-2019, 11:18 AM
After losing $$$ over the past month by betting against them I finally concede the 49ers with that defense are the current class of the NFC - great rookie on a team playing great usually gets the award

In hindsight the Steelers nearly beating the 49ers on the road might have been the Steelers best performance of the season - I thought Bosa abusing AV was due to AV having a bad game but Bosa is simply that good

Agreed, but still doesn't diminish any performance by Bush and the fact that the Steelers look to have found their impactful ILB.

ps. I still love all the pre draft hate this kid was getting for his height, lack of sacks, INT's, TFL's etc. Just draftnik talk from a bunch of people that didn't bother to watch him play.

Agreed on all points.

There have been a great # of exaggerated reactions to little things this season by Steelers fans. Skipper is no great loss. Hodges is not a fearless gunslinger ready to set the NFL on fire. Rudolph isn't the key to unlocking some hyper-efficient "no stars" based offense. And worries about Bush (I voiced many myself!) not being a playmaker were unfounded.

All more evidence that week to week reactions based on elation or anger over the most recent game outcome do not make for sound football opinions. We all do it and hopefully we can all laugh about it!

Fire Goodell
10-28-2019, 11:58 AM
The 49ers are gonna beat the pats in the super bowl. final score will be 9-6

Born2Steel
10-28-2019, 12:18 PM
I think it’s safe to say that at this point in the season, we are happy with our 2019 #1 pick, yes?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rookie-power-rankings-week-5-devin-bush-leads-a-wide-open-rookie-of-the-year-race/

”Hush Harriett, that’s a sure way to get him killed.”

86WARD
10-29-2019, 07:27 PM
This pretty much tells the story...thought Bush had it early on but Bosa has taken over...even Baldy is voting Bosa

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191030/3762d69ab76161d407b76cac77bbe243.jpg

Fire Goodell
10-29-2019, 07:33 PM

Very true. I'd take him over Jarvis Jones in an instant. I never disliked Dupree, i mean he's not a pro bowl level guy you always hope a first round draft pick is, but he's a solid starter.

teegre
10-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Iiiiif the Steelers still had their 2020 R1 pick*, I’d trade the entire draft to get up to #1 in order to acquire Chase Young.

Imagine TJ Watt on one side, and Young on the other. :scared: The Steelers offense might only need to score 13 points per game to win most weeks.

*As I’ve stated numerous times, I am more than pleased with Minkah Fitzpatrick. I’m playing “hypotheticals”, because Young might be even better than Nick Bosa.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2019, 03:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM