PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Week

Rotorhead
10-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I think they beat the Cards and the Phins. I think the Browns exposed their “QB”. If we can stop the run and the deep ball, we can win this game. Our defense will have to show up along its strengths and get some pressure, each time the Browns got even a little pressure, Jackson was worthless. I am hopeful that we can run the ball half as effective as Cleveland, which will open up a little of the passing game for Mason.

Prediction 27-13 Steelers

MR tosses 2 TDs in a better game than the Bungles as he keeps improving.

I would really like to see Washington have a big game as well. Johnson is playing well, Juju is being shut down, so we still need another WR to step up.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Pressure Jackson and don't get beat deep by Hollywood, and they got a good chance. Agree though I thought Jackson was already exposed by the Chiefs. If he has to play catch-up, or under pressure, he will make mistakes.

With that said, the Ravens will play tough and are never a gimmie. I'm expecting one of those 50-50 games that's decided by the last drive. They are on a 2 game losing streak and are desperate to get a win, they will come out swinging.

24-21 Ravens, hope I'm wrong but that's my prediction. Though like I said, this is pretty much a 50-50 game in my book.

Squeegee Thompson
10-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Eliminating the inside run via an emerging Bush and a returning ViniVidiVici at MLB. Add in a newly-motivated Mark Barron who's just had a fire lit under his ass, and you can stretch the run game to the outside which is where the Ravens do not want to be sending it.

MFF bounces back from a largely quiet Monday night game to ball-hawk a pick foolishly sent up as Watt and Dupree establish unlawful carnal knowledge of Jackson in the backfield. JuJu breaks out for a 100-yard game with a TD after also being held mostly in check last Monday. Vannett becomes Mason's favorite 3rd down target and finishes with 5 catches for 65 yards.

27-21 Steelers for my first ever game in the Burgh.

tube517
10-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Andrews and Boyle the TEs will have a field day for the Ratbirds.

DesertSteel
10-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Steelers 17-13.

86WARD
10-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Early prediction:

Fichtner tries to trot that same offense out against the Ravens...not a great defense but better than the Bengals. Ravens eat it up...Fichtner panics...falls back to the Ben offense...things get worse.

31-13 Ravens.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Early prediction:

Fichtner tries to trot that same offense out against the Ravens...not a great defense but better than the Bengals. Ravens eat it up...Fichtner panics...falls back to the Ben offense...things get worse.

31-13 Ravens. I trust a rubber snake more then I do trust Fichtner calling a good game two weeks in a row.

st33lersguy
10-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Cleveland exposed this team. They aren't that good. Their defense is suffering from the loss of numerous key players and Jackson is not as good. They got hyped up because they played the Dolphins who may be the worst team the NFL has seen since the 1976 Bucs. After that they barely beat a bad Cards team at home then have lost 2 in a row (kudos though I guess for making it close against the Chiefs) in which their D was exposed. At this team's AFC North hopes rest in the Cleveland Browns self-destructing. We'll see though if Pittsburgh is improving or if they looked good week 4 because they played a Bungals team who barring a trade is probably going to be picking in the top 3 next April

Edman
10-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Lamar Jackson or no. It’s the Ravens.

This will go down to the final quarter most likely in a one score game. Randy Fichtner called one good game, but I don’t see lightning striking twice. Ravens D clamps down.

23-9 Ravens.

Crow-Magnon
10-02-2019, 06:47 AM
My take:

Ravens OL not protecting Jackson. Steelers sacked Heat Miser 8 times. Not a good stat for Baltimore.

Ravens secondary looks lost. Safeties and CB’s out of position way too often. Juju may cause Thomas to pull a hammy.

Conner is not Chubb. But may still get over 100 yards from what I saw.

But...truth is, the AFCN is not its normal self this year. So who knows? At least I can count on Tucker!

Mojouw
10-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Ingram, Andrews, Edwards, and Jackson breaking contain are all the exact type of players that give the Steelers trouble. If I was the Ravens, I would be throwing passes to Justice Hill out of the backfield this week. Then you have Brown and Boykin getting loose behind a secondary too focused on Jackson and the run game...this just feels like a Ravens team that is good at everything the Steelers are bad at defending.

No idea what to expect out of the Steelers offense, but they still are not converting third downs. Only got to about 1 in 3 against the Bengals. Really need to have that be more like about half...

steel striker
10-02-2019, 11:10 AM
If the Steelers can contain Jackson I think they have a chance and, don't be afraid to take a couple of deep shots down the field.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Ingram, Andrews, Edwards, and Jackson breaking contain are all the exact type of players that give the Steelers trouble. If I was the Ravens, I would be throwing passes to Justice Hill out of the backfield this week. Then you have Brown and Boykin getting loose behind a secondary too focused on Jackson and the run game...this just feels like a Ravens team that is good at everything the Steelers are bad at defending.

No idea what to expect out of the Steelers offense, but they still are not converting third downs. Only got to about 1 in 3 against the Bengals. Really need to have that be more like about half...

I agree, the TE talent the RB and TE talent the Ravens have makes play run defense and play action a big problem for Steelers Defense IMO. On offense, no east-west run game is gonna get the edge on Ravens, the Steelers need Nix and McDonald to be able to run off tackle. Sadly I think this one is a L.

Rotorhead
10-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Lamar Jackson or no. It’s the Ravens.

This will go down to the final quarter most likely in a one score game. Randy Fichtner called one good game, but I don’t see lightning striking twice. Ravens D clamps down.

23-9 Ravens.

23-9 isn’t a one score game, just sayin.

Rotorhead
10-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Maybe we will try to run up the middle on 3rd and long less!

pczach
10-02-2019, 03:10 PM
I agree, the TE talent the RB and TE talent the Ravens have makes play run defense and play action a big problem for Steelers Defense IMO. On offense, no east-west run game is gonna get the edge on Ravens, the Steelers need Nix and McDonald to be able to run off tackle. Sadly I think this one is a L.

Do the Steelers play Lamar Jackson straight up, or do they give him the chance to hurt them with his arm by having Bush spy him?

I think they probably do a little of both. I would come out and see how the defense holds up straight up. Mix in some run blitzes to get them behind the chains. If Jackson is able to get free and scramble for big conversions, they probably try to spy him and dare him to beat them with his arm.

This is a really interesting game from a strategic standpoint on both sides of the ball.

Steeler-in-west
10-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Keys are Steelers run defense with Vince Williams back and Mason improving: Ravens will dare him to air it out so he has to step it up. We’re at home so I feel confident that the Steelers will pull out the win.

Born2Steel
10-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Somebody HAS to win this division and rep the AFC North in the playoffs. Might as well be the Steelers. HERE WE GO!

Shoes
10-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Keys are Steelers run defense with Vince Williams back and Mason improving: Ravens will dare him to air it out so he has to step it up. We’re at home so I feel confident that the Steelers will pull out the win.

Yes and probably Chickillo. That doesn't excite me at all.

Steeler-in-west
10-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Yes and probably Chickillo. That doesn't excite me at all.

Hopefully they reduce his snaps, I never see him making any kind of significant play

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-03-2019, 12:35 AM
Do the Steelers play Lamar Jackson straight up, or do they give him the chance to hurt them with his arm by having Bush spy him?

I think they probably do a little of both. I would come out and see how the defense holds up straight up. Mix in some run blitzes to get them behind the chains. If Jackson is able to get free and scramble for big conversions, they probably try to spy him and dare him to beat them with his arm.

This is a really interesting game from a strategic standpoint on both sides of the ball.

I think the Ravens plan a run heavy offense and then play action or read-option Jackson. The OLB's need to handle the read option and Jackson can evade them, so I don't think we will see straight drop back passes for a spy often. BUT, if they do I would personally consider using Edmunds to spy Jackson. Then use Hilton or Sutton at Safety, since Kelly is a liability.

Need to stop the run game of Ravens and make Jackson beat you with his arm. I'm more concerned about the offense not putting up points, since its easier to play against a Ravens offense that is playing from behind.

pczach
10-03-2019, 05:52 AM
I think the Ravens plan a run heavy offense and then play action or read-option Jackson. The OLB's need to handle the read option and Jackson can evade them, so I don't think we will see straight drop back passes for a spy often. BUT, if they do I would personally consider using Edmunds to spy Jackson. Then use Hilton or Sutton at Safety, since Kelly is a liability.

Need to stop the run game of Ravens and make Jackson beat you with his arm. I'm more concerned about the offense not putting up points, since its easier to play against a Ravens offense that is playing from behind.

You are right. They don't do a lot of straight drop back stuff, but I do see the Ravens mixing things up this week and adding some stuff nobody has seen yet.

I was talking about in more obvious passing situations, where you would expect the defense to not honor the run fakes and play straight pass.

86WARD
10-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Chickillo needs to go

AtlantaDan
10-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Steelers are a trendy pick this week - apparently based more on a suspect Ravens defense than the Steelers rolling over the Bengals. Of course the two Ravens losses resulted from the Chiefs and Browns exploiting the weaknesses on that defense - Steelers do not have that level of firepower

Baltimore’s defense is suspect. The Ravens have forced opponents to go three-and-out just 21 percent of the time (ninth worst in the league) and feature a below-average red-zone defense (64 percent conversion rate allowed, also ninth worst). That has led to 2.4 points allowed per drive, the seventh-worst rate in the league.

After adjusting these raw efficiencies for opponents faced, Baltimore has the fourth-worst defense of 2019. Only the Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins have been worse, per Football Outsiders. Those teams are a combined 2-10.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/03/nfl-best-bets-picks-steelers-cowboys-raiders/

tube517
10-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Steelers are a trendy pick this week - apparently based more on a suspect Ravens defense than the Steelers rolling over the Bengals. Of course the two Ravens losses resulted from the Chiefs and Browns exploiting the weaknesses on that defense - Steelers do not have that level of firepower

Baltimore’s defense is suspect. The Ravens have forced opponents to go three-and-out just 21 percent of the time (ninth worst in the league) and feature a below-average red-zone defense (64 percent conversion rate allowed, also ninth worst). That has led to 2.4 points allowed per drive, the seventh-worst rate in the league.

After adjusting these raw efficiencies for opponents faced, Baltimore has the fourth-worst defense of 2019. Only the Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins have been worse, per Football Outsiders. Those teams are a combined 2-10.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/03/nfl-best-bets-picks-steelers-cowboys-raiders/

I think the Ravens win but I thought Lamar Jackson was the GOAT aka Savior of the League and HOFer?

Squeegee Thompson
10-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Based on a 4-game sample set. If this was a Week 12 statistic, then I'd give it some credence. Baltimore is clearly a better defense than what article implies. Elite? No. But not a pushover by any means.

The Steelers were the 3rd worst defense coming into Monday night before they gave Andy Dalton and company a curb-stomping. Now, they're firmly entrenched in the middle of the league due to such a small sample size.

EzraTank
10-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Steelers win 3-2 on a late FG after giving up a safety early.

Fire Goodell
10-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Based on a 4-game sample set. If this was a Week 12 statistic, then I'd give it some credence. Baltimore is clearly a better defense than what article implies. Elite? No. But not a pushover by any means.

The Steelers were the 3rd worst defense coming into Monday night before they gave Andy Dalton and company a curb-stomping. Now, they're firmly entrenched in the middle of the league due to such a small sample size.

I'm willing to bet that any team that played the Chiefs so far is on the bottom of the defensive rankings :chuckle:

Born2Steel
10-03-2019, 11:52 AM
The defense HAS played better each week. That is the trend worth noting. NOBODY knows what to expect from the offense this week. NOBODY. Not saying this is a “must win” but we all NEED this win Sunday.

Shoes
10-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Steelers win 27-20

Hawkman
10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Steelers win 27-20

That sounds good!

Rotorhead
10-03-2019, 01:50 PM
The defense HAS played better each week. That is the trend worth noting. NOBODY knows what to expect from the offense this week. NOBODY. Not saying this is a “must win” but we all NEED this win Sunday.

This is pretty much a must win at this point. Can’t lose this Div game and get this far behind the ball this early.

tube517
10-03-2019, 02:57 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/GS5iBLDW3FuqXIui6_dTntqDl3w=/0x0:1001x548/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1001x548):format(webp):no_upscal e()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19257265/Week5injury2.jpeg

Juju and Conner did not practice yesterday or today.

However, Bince was a full participant

Mojouw
10-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Some nice breakdowns over at the Depot today. Ravens might be the most talented team the Steelers have faced.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/scouting-report-ravens-defense-looks-to-confuse-rudolph/
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/scouting-report-ravens-offense-will-stretch-steelers-vertically/

I still wish the Steelers would've drafted Boykin! Like not instead of DJ, but if there was a magical universe where they could have gotten both.

DesertSteel
10-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Some nice breakdowns over at the Depot today. Ravens might be the most talented team the Steelers have faced.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/scouting-report-ravens-defense-looks-to-confuse-rudolph/
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/scouting-report-ravens-offense-will-stretch-steelers-vertically/

I still wish the Steelers would've drafted Boykin! Like not instead of DJ, but if there was a magical universe where they could have gotten both.

Ravens better than the Patriots and Seahawks? I'm not sure what you mean by talented. The Ravens are a middle of the pack team (7-9, 8-8, 9-7).

- - - Updated - - -

RE Conner's injury: I'd like to see Samuels get the lion's share of touches over Conner anyway.

Mojouw
10-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Ravens better than the Patriots and Seahawks? I'm not sure what you mean by talented. The Ravens are a middle of the pack team (7-9, 8-8, 9-7).

- - - Updated - - -

RE Conner's injury: I'd like to see Samuels get the lion's share of touches over Conner anyway.

I think the Ravens have a collection of better athletes up and down the roster than either of those two teams. It may not consistently translate into success on the field, but the physical capabilities of the individuals is pretty impressive. I am not sure that the Steelers have players that match-up well with either Boykin or Brown if they go vertical. Now, can Jackson consistently get them the ball on time and accurately? Some weeks, yes, some weeks no.

Andrews is turning in to a league wide match-up nightmare.

Their stable of running backs is likely the deepest in the league. Ingram and Edwards are proven runners that can beat you. Justice Hill looks like he could be a match-up nightmare out of the backfield. If they can ever figure out how to get him more into the game-plan - his impact could be lethal.

I realize that is a ton of what ifs and yeah maybes, but while the Pats and Seahawks are far better teams -- the Ravens collection of athletic talent is staggering.

Mojouw
10-04-2019, 12:16 PM
I also blocked out hte Patriots from my memory. I have incepted them out of my mind.

Squeegee Thompson
10-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Their stable of running backs is likely the deepest in the league. Ingram and Edwards are proven runners that can beat you. Justice Hill looks like he could be a match-up nightmare out of the backfield. If they can ever figure out how to get him more into the game-plan - his impact could be lethal.

All the more reason why getting ViniVidiVici back on to the field is huge​ this week.

Mojouw
10-04-2019, 12:35 PM
All the more reason why getting ViniVidiVici back on to the field is huge​ this week.

Good point! I wonder if they go to that "3 safety look" but have Barron run as the third "safety"?

Of course, ever time this board proposes some moderately clever or unusual defensive alignment -- good ole Keith just rolls out with a base 3-4.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Good point! I wonder if they go to that "3 safety look" but have Barron run as the third "safety"?

Of course, ever time this board proposes some moderately clever or unusual defensive alignment -- good ole Keith just rolls out with a base 3-4.

Honestly, I think Barron is the 3rd best ILB on the team right now and he is too heavy to run like a safety. The guy probably has 4.6 type speed, so is still better than VW in coverage vs a TE, but he is sub par vs the run. I think in passing down and distance, vs 2TE sets he should be there, but I think when Mark Ingram is on the field, Vinny needs to be at ILB.

86WARD
10-04-2019, 12:48 PM
If teams stop Brown and Andrews through the air, who does Jackson throw to then?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2019, 01:13 PM
If teams stop Brown and Andrews through the air, who does Jackson throw to then?

Miles Boykin, Willie Snead, Hayden Hurst, Nick Boyle...

Steeler have a habit of making reserve TE and WR's look good in the pass game.

Mojouw
10-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Honestly, I think Barron is the 3rd best ILB on the team right now and he is too heavy to run like a safety. The guy probably has 4.6 type speed, so is still better than VW in coverage vs a TE, but he is sub par vs the run. I think in passing down and distance, vs 2TE sets he should be there, but I think when Mark Ingram is on the field, Vinny needs to be at ILB.

I agree that VW needs to see a great # of the snaps. I guess I was just wondering if you experiment of consider rolling out that "big nickel" stuff they have messed around with before with Barron in the extra "DB" spot.

Likely over-complicates things for the defense and is an attempt to get too "cute".

tube517
10-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Snead was painfully good at getting some key 1st downs last year vs the Steelers. Then he disappears vs other teams.

AtlantaDan
10-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Williams, McDonald & JuJu practiced Friday but listed as questionable for Sunday

Fire Goodell
10-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Hope Juju is ok. Chickillo can stay out for as long as he wants. Sucks that Nix isn't back yet.

86WARD
10-04-2019, 03:40 PM

So in other words, a big nothing...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2019, 07:37 PM
So in other words, a big nothing...

That is what we thought last season when John Brown and Willie Snead were the Ravens leading receivers in a Steelers loss.

Hindes204
10-04-2019, 08:02 PM
My take:

Ravens OL not protecting Jackson. Steelers sacked Heat Miser 8 times. Not a good stat for Baltimore.

Ravens secondary looks lost. Safeties and CB’s out of position way too often. Juju may cause Thomas to pull a hammy.

Conner is not Chubb. But may still get over 100 yards from what I saw.

But...truth is, the AFCN is not its normal self this year. So who knows? At least I can count on Tucker!

Been quite a while since I’ve been around, glad to see you are still here Crow, always appreciated your perspective as a fan of that other team.

I think itll be a close game from two average teams with obvious deficits. Let’s hope for a good, hard fought game with no injuries

Shoes
10-04-2019, 09:23 PM
Been quite a while since I’ve been around, glad to see you are still here Crow, always appreciated your perspective as a fan of that other team.

I think itll be a close game from two average teams with obvious deficits. Let’s hope for a good, hard fought game with no injuries

Welcome back Bro!

stillers4me
10-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Nice to see you, Hindes! Please stick around! :tt03:

Edman
10-05-2019, 09:38 AM
The Ravens are the best rushing team in the league and have many different ways of running the football. They have a RB at quarterback for all intents and purposes.

Their bread and butter is running, with a lot of read option and playaction. It doesn’t matter what caliber of receivers you have if you can run the football really well. The Ravens offense is truly explosive and prone for big plays.

This is very much another major test for the Steelers Defense.

DesertSteel
10-05-2019, 09:45 AM
The more time goes by since Troy, the more I realize how great he was. Easily top 5 Steeler all-time, maybe top 3.

Crow-Magnon
10-05-2019, 10:35 AM

I listened to Ed Reed’s talk to the Ravens at practice this week. It’s STILL a rivalry to him lol. Both teams could be 0-4 and it would still be a battle, no matter the final score.

cold-hard-steel
10-05-2019, 06:40 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/GS5iBLDW3FuqXIui6_dTntqDl3w=/0x0:1001x548/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1001x548):format(webp):no_upscal e()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19257265/Week5injury2.jpeg

Juju and Conner did not practice yesterday or today.

However, Bince was a full participant

Who's Bince?:bolt::

HollywoodSteel
10-05-2019, 07:44 PM
The more time goes by since Troy, the more I realize how great he was. Easily top 5 Steeler all-time, maybe top 3.

And he was top 1 vs the Ravens.

Seriously, Troy was our Ravens killer. No one consistently played better for us in that rivalry.

Of course there was James Harrison’s big coming out party vs the Ravens that one Monday night so long ago. But that was something of a blow out.

On the other hand, Troy always seemed to be way clutch at the end of those games against Baltimore. He was the one who’d win it for us, whether it was jumping over the line of scrimmage, or strip sacking Flacco, or pick sixing it to send us to the Super Bowl.

Man, I miss that long haired soft spoken bird-killer.

pczach
10-06-2019, 08:15 AM
And he was top 1 vs the Ravens.

Seriously, Troy was our Ravens killer. No one consistently played better for us in that rivalry.

Of course there was James Harrison’s big coming out party vs the Ravens that one Monday night so long ago. But that was something of a blow out.

On the other hand, Troy always seemed to be way clutch at the end of those games against Baltimore. He was the one who’d win it for us, whether it was jumping over the line of scrimmage, or strip sacking Flacco, or pick sixing it to send us to the Super Bowl.

Man, I miss that long haired soft spoken bird-killer.

Santonio Holmes always played out of his mind against the Ravens as well.

Troy was a physical freak of nature that was simultaneously a football savant. He was an all-time great player that make head-shaking plays look routine and made the impossible look easy. At his peak, he may have been the most impactful defensive player that I have ever seen. He affected play on every inch of the playing field in a way that I have never seen before or since.

We may never see anyone like him for a long time.

AtlantaDan
10-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Steelers Inactives
No. 11 WR Donte Moncrief
No. 45 FB Roosevelt Nix
No. 56 LB Anthony Chickillo
No. 74 OL Fred Johnson
No. 76 OL Chukwuma Okorafor
No. 81 TE Zach Gentry
No. 96 DE Isaiah Buggs

Ravens Inactives
No. 7 QB Trace McSorley
No. 12 WR Jaleel Scott
No. 22 CB Jimmy Smith
No. 34 CB Anthony Averett
No. 40 LB Kevin Young
No. 72 OG Ben Powers
No. 94 DT Daylon Mack

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-inactives-for-week-5-vs-ravens

tube517
10-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Who's Bince?:bolt::

https://images.app.goo.gl/Uv4n7izwXuWK8AP29

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Steelers Inactives
No. 11 WR Donte Moncrief
No. 45 FB Roosevelt Nix
No. 56 LB Anthony Chickillo
No. 74 OL Fred Johnson
No. 76 OL Chukwuma Okorafor
No. 81 TE Zach Gentry
No. 96 DE Isaiah Buggs

Ravens Inactives
No. 7 QB Trace McSorley
No. 12 WR Jaleel Scott
No. 22 CB Jimmy Smith
No. 34 CB Anthony Averett
No. 40 LB Kevin Young
No. 72 OG Ben Powers
No. 94 DT Daylon Mack

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-inactives-for-week-5-vs-ravens

I was hoping to see Buggs get in the rotation. McCullers sucks.

Shoes
10-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Lets get McDonald and Vannett on the field together.

Mojouw
10-06-2019, 11:40 AM
Man I really hope they win but I got an incredibly bad feeling about this one. Like a week or three of fire everyone posts starting at halftime kinda bad.