PDA

View Full Version : Game balls & goats MNF vs Bungles

GoSlash27
09-30-2019, 10:13 PM
As many solid performances as there were tonight, my clear winner for the game ball is Jaylen Samuels.
Without him, tonight's game plan wouldn't have been possible.

Who yinz got?

Edman
09-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Randy Fichtner found his balls.

Coach Ben for stepping in. Should be retire, he should be a quarterbacks coach.

Mason Rudolph had a great game.

Jaylen Samuels is the Le'Veon Bell clone, not Conner. James Conner is a north-south runner. Samuels is the do-all gadget guy. Tonight doesn't happen without him.

The Defense was great. It was the Bungals, but any progress is progress.

The Bungals are horrible.

st33lersguy
09-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Balls: Defense balled out especially the pass rush, the mangled the Bengals o-line. Connor had a productive night. Samuels can play, give him the ball. Mason did really well, he has potential, that Ben-like play was awesome. Boz also looks real good
Goats: The Bengals, this is a god awful team. They will likely be picking in the top 3 this year barring a trade. They practically seemed to quit late in the 3rd. That O-line in particular is merely 5 traffic cones

Shoes
09-30-2019, 10:21 PM
No goats, good to get the win, game ball Steelers.

AtlantaDan
09-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Game balls - Fichtner, Rudolph & front seven on defense

Goats - good lord the Bengals are awful after somehow playing the Seahawks tough in week one. Bengals @ Dolphins in week 16 will be epic

tube517
09-30-2019, 10:27 PM
Game Ball :Fichtner, Rudolph, the J/J tandem at RB. Steelers Pass Rush - Cam Heyward 2.5 sacks trade him

Goat: Booger McFarland for just being a Booger

86WARD
09-30-2019, 10:28 PM
As much as it hurts, I have to give game balls to the OC and DC...fuck Danny Smith...also give it to the defense, Samuels, Rudolph, Conner and Johnson. Two game balls to Tuitt and Watt...beasts.

Goats - Fichtner...where was this stuff last week?? Defense needs to wrap when they tackle.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-30-2019, 10:53 PM
You guys mention most of the game balls and agree, Will add Bush and look like a vet tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as it hurts, I have to give game balls to the OC and DC...fuck Danny Smith...also give it to the defense, Samuels, Rudolph, Conner and Johnson. Two game balls to Tuitt and Watt...beasts.

Goats - Fichtner...where was this stuff last week?? Defense needs to wrap when they tackle. Agreed, still piss off at Fichnter and would be 2-1 had we seen this last week and Samuels used as well. Anyways credit to him tonight.

Rotorhead
09-30-2019, 11:04 PM
Game balls - Fichtner, Rudolph & front seven on defense

Goats - good lord the Bengals are awful after somehow playing the Seahawks tough in week one. Bengals @ Dolphins in week 16 will be epic

They will both be trying for the #1 pick lol

Mojouw
09-30-2019, 11:04 PM
I think we see the blueprint for the path forward on offense tonight. Each week it will have to be a gameplan that targets whatever weakness the Steelers think they can exploit in that particular opponent. No longer will they be able to line-up on offense and just turn their “system”. They don’t have the firepower for that. They are going to have to adapt game to game. Perhaps over the course of the season they can establish an identity.

This week it was passes to the RBs. Next week will have to be something else. We can reasonably assume the Ravens will spend all week preparing to stop what they saw tonight.

09-30-2019, 11:12 PM
I think we see the blueprint for the path forward on offense tonight. Each week it will have to be a gameplan that targets whatever weakness the Steelers think they can exploit in that particular opponent. No longer will they be able to line-up on offense and just turn their “system”. They don’t have the firepower for that. They are going to have to adapt game to game. Perhaps over the course of the season they can establish an identity.

This week it was passes to the RBs. Next week will have to be something else. We can reasonably assume the Ravens will spend all week preparing to stop what they saw tonight. Why shouldn't passes to the rbs not be next weeks game plan ? Until someone stops it and if they do it's going to open up the wr's.

Mojouw
09-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Why shouldn't passes to the rbs not be next weeks game plan ? Until someone stops it and if they do it's going to open up the wr's.

I don’t mean to not do it but can reasonably assume Ravens are going to load up to take it away. If they do manage that, gotta have another card to play.

09-30-2019, 11:20 PM
I don’t mean to not do it but can reasonably assume Ravens are going to load up to take it away. If they do manage that, gotta have another card to play. Got ya and like I said should open up the wrs as the next card to play.

cubanstogie
09-30-2019, 11:28 PM
It was nice to see them not play down to opponents,we all know Steelers have tendency to play down to shitty teams and they kept throttle Down all night after turnover on own 15 , and some failed short yardage. I know it was bungles but I haven’t been this happy after game in a long time.

Iron Steeler
09-30-2019, 11:29 PM
I would love to se first play of next week flea flicker deep . Mess with the defenses head right off the bat.

BlackAndGold
09-30-2019, 11:57 PM
The game is starting to slow down for Devin Bush. He's going to be so good.

Craic
10-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Why shouldn't passes to the rbs not be next weeks game plan ? Until someone stops it and if they do it's going to open up the wr's.

Because I think it will hinder the overall development of the QB, that is, if you're asking why shouldn't be the main element of next week's game plan. I think tonight Mason earned a chance to push the ball down field a little more. We have to remember that at this point, we're not necessarily playing just for this season, but we're setting up several seasons if Mason can, in fact, be the guy. So, I would rather see that development happen.

of course, if you meant it as "Why shouldn't it be one of the options in the playbook," or even "why shouldn't it be one of the main options in the playbook for next week," then I'd say you are absolutely right. It should be.

10-01-2019, 01:42 AM
Because I think it will hinder the overall development of the QB, that is, if you're asking why shouldn't be the main element of next week's game plan. I think tonight Mason earned a chance to push the ball down field a little more. We have to remember that at this point, we're not necessarily playing just for this season, but we're setting up several seasons if Mason can, in fact, be the guy. So, I would rather see that development happen.

of course, if you meant it as "Why shouldn't it be one of the options in the playbook," or even "why shouldn't it be one of the main options in the playbook for next week," then I'd say you are absolutely right. It should be. Me and you agreed they needed taking the training Wheels off of Mason. They did later on but the passes to the rbs help and the Wildcat. Thing is Mason is a Brady clone and the dink and dunks is this QB's strong strength. He can throw deeper if need be but why have him if this will continue to work ? He is not Ben but the one play did look very Ben like and a great play.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2019, 02:08 AM
RB1 and RB2

86WARD
10-01-2019, 05:11 AM

This week it was passes to the RBs. Next week will have to be something else. We can reasonably assume the Ravens will spend all week preparing to stop what they saw tonight.

Like I said when Ben was ruled out...coaches are going to have to do their job. Now that the “new plays” are on tape, Baltimore is going to stack the box to stop the run and be ready for the jet sweep plays. I think it’s going to be an ugly game vs. Baltimore...

GoSlash27
10-01-2019, 06:10 AM

Tomlin has openly stated that this is his goal. He wants our offense to be so flexible that they can attack an opponent with any scheme at any time. Air Coryell, west coast, pro set, wildcat... doesn't matter.

10-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Like I said when Ben was ruled out...coaches are going to have to do their job. Now that the “new plays” are on tape, Baltimore is going to stack the box to stop the run and be ready for the jet sweep plays. I think it’s going to be an ugly game vs. Baltimore... Going to be ugly cause not sure Fichtner can call two good games in a row.

Butch
10-01-2019, 06:16 AM
D has played great in particular T.J. Watt but also the supporting cast. The O came to life in the 2nd half and played a decent game over all, I still want to see more.

Goats - Officiating once again giving us the business with a ridiculous PI call and then not over turning it. While I dog on some of Tomlin's challenges this one should have gone his way. We won this game, I am sure these types of calls will cost us a game down the line.

86WARD
10-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Going to be ugly cause not sure Fichtner can call two good games in a row.

Baltimore’s defense isn’t really good either...

They have all the momentum going for them. Confidence, home game against division rival, Baltimore on a losing streak...as long as the coaches have them up and prepared...

Dissolv
10-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Can someone remind me which coach I am supposed to be hating on? Because after watching last night's game I can't remember. :juggle:

teegre
10-01-2019, 06:38 AM
I think we see the blueprint for the path forward on offense tonight. Each week it will have to be a gameplan that targets whatever weakness the Steelers think they can exploit in that particular opponent.

It’s what Belichick has done for years. Find the opponent’s weakness... and, attack it. :nod:

Hopefully, Fichtner breaks his routine of “finding a play that works... and running it into the ground.” :doh:

Hawkman
10-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Can someone remind me which coach I am supposed to be hating on? Because after watching last night's game I can't remember. :juggle:

True. Not even a penalty on STs......I don’t think.

EzraTank
10-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Tough to give anyone credit on our side.

My game ball goes to the Bengals. Without them totally being the Bungals and sucking we wouldn't be happy this morning. I wish we could play them 10 more times.

- - - Updated - - -

They have all the momentum going for them. Confidence, home game against division rival, Baltimore on a losing streak...as long as the coaches have them up and prepared...

You do realize you just typed that. :gossip:

HollywoodSteel
10-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Do you really think the Ravens’ defense isn’t good? Yes they got gutted by Nick Chubb this week but I think
that’s mostly because Brandon Williams didn’t play.

I suppose it makes sense that the Steelers will try to emulate what the Browns did, except the Ravens will now be ready for that. They aren’t going to let themselves be embarrassed on the ground again.

So what’s the answer? Do we really let Mason Rudolph loose and count on him to win the game in the air? If the Ravens stack the box I guess we have to, but the Ravens DBs are their strength and I don’t know that our WRs will win those battles consistently.

If we had Ben I’d be really confident going into this game because I think Ben would find areas to exploit with The Ravens loaded up to stop the run.

Also, our D looked great against a lump like Dalton, but I don’t know if we’re so great against a mobile QB. We’re gonna flush Jackson out of the pocket a lot, the question is, can we get him on the ground or does he slip away and gash us with his legs?

I want to feel good about this game, but so far I don’t love the match up. Am I being overly negative? Somebody please correct me if I am.

Hawkman
10-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Do you really think the Ravens’ defense isn’t good? Yes they got gutted by Nick Chubb this week but I think

I suppose it makes sense that the Steelers will try to emulate what the Browns did, except the Ravens will now be ready for that. They aren’t going to let themselves be embarrassed on the ground again.

So what’s the answer? Do we really let Mason Rudolph loose and count on him to win the game in the air? If the Ravens stack the box I guess we have to, but the Ravens DBs are their strength and I don’t know that our WRs will win those battles consistently.

If we had Ben I’d be really confident going into this game because I think Ben would find areas to exploit with The Ravens loaded up to stop the run.

Also, our D looked great against a lump like Dalton, but I don’t know if we’re so great against a mobile QB. We’re gonna flush Jackson out of the pocket a lot, the question is, can we get him on the ground or does he slip away and gash us with his legs?

I want to feel good about this game, but so far I don’t love the match up. Am I being overly negative? Somebody please correct me if I am.

I think Bush is going to dog Jackson.

The guys up front should be able to handle Ingram. I thinks it’s going to be a typical low scoring Steelers/Ravens game.

Sorry.....way off topic.

86WARD
10-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Danny Smith. When in doubt, it’s always Danny Smith. Only reason he wasn’t exposed was that the Bengals didn’t have to kick off. It’s always his fault and he’s always screwing something up...remember that.

86WARD
10-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Tough to give anyone credit on our side.

My game ball goes to the Bengals. Without them totally being the Bungals and sucking we wouldn't be happy this morning. I wish we could play them 10 more times.

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize you just typed that. :gossip:

Yep...that’s the “zinger”...lol

86WARD
10-01-2019, 10:50 AM

I really don’t think they are that good.

27th in Yards/G
30th in Pass Yards/G

Did well against Miami & Arizona...but that’s Miami & Arizona. Perhaps the worst two teams in the league and possibly the last few years? After that? Chiefs and Browns pretty much gashed them...

I’m not buying into that defense yet.

HollywoodSteel
10-01-2019, 11:24 AM
I really don’t think they are that good.

27th in Yards/G
30th in Pass Yards/G

Did well against Miami & Arizona...but that’s Miami & Arizona. Perhaps the worst two teams in the league and possibly the last few years? After that? Chiefs and Browns pretty much gashed them...

I’m not buying into that defense yet.

Hey, that is music to my ears. I really hope you’re right. I’ll admit that I haven’t actually watched them play this year. I was under the impression that their secondary was one of the best in the league coming into the season.

I’m still worried that those guys didn’t lose their talent, regardless of the numbers so far this year. And I’m worried that if they stack the box, we’ll still attempt to run into a brick wall because we go with our game plan and don’t generally believe in adjusting, regardless of results. And if we do adjust, I’m afraid it will be because we’re behind.

That’s one thing I’m not sure how Rudolph will respond to. At least with Ben, no matter how badly he plays or gets behind, there’s always A CHANCE that he can turn it around at the end of a game and come through to win it.

It’s a lot easier to play run heavy, dink and dunk football when you have a lead. This is a game that should really test Rudolph. It’ll be interesting to see if he steps up. At least I don’t think he lacks confidence.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Bush is starting to look like a player that is starting to 'get it'. I know it was just the Bengals, but I think as a team, they needed a game like this to build some confidence

steel striker
10-01-2019, 12:04 PM
The defense they played really well the front four and, how bad are the bengals? Even though I was not a fan of the dink & dunk it did work and, maybe the defense is starting to gel. I don't the the dink & dunk jet sweep will work against the Ravens.

JnK
10-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Game Ball - The entire team especially the defensive line.

Goat - The officials for not overturning the horrendous offensive PI call on Holton in the first quarter.

HollywoodSteel
10-01-2019, 12:39 PM
I’m thankfully not a Bengals fan, but as a general fan of football, and of fighting to the death even when obviously outmatched, I’m (perhaps oddly) bothered by the fact that the Bengals ended the game with all 3 timeouts. It felt like a preseason mentality decision.

Yeah, I guess as a Steelers fan I should be grateful that they didn’t call pointless time outs in the 4th quarter to extend the game... but if the shoe were on the other foot wouldn’t it bother you guys?

Or am I totally alone in this?

It just sends a bad message to the team and to the fans that you just wanted to go home rather than actually use every arrow in the quiver until the final whistle.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2019, 12:49 PM
The defense they played really well the front four and, how bad are the bengals? Even though I was not a fan of the dink & dunk it did work and, maybe the defense is starting to gel. I don't the the dink & dunk jet sweep will work against the Ravens.

It was a good game plan honestly. They attacked the Bengals weakness at LB, I enjoyed it. I'm sure the strategy will be different vs Baltimore. Maybe Fitch isn't as hapless as we thought, hopefully. Though he has to string together more good game plans to make me a believer.

GoSlash27
10-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Did anyone else notice that Conner was actually protecting the ball this time instead of leaving it hanging out in the open like usual? I hope he's finally learned his lesson about that.

Six Rings
10-01-2019, 06:05 PM
You guys mention most of the game balls and agree, Will add Bush and look like a vet tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, still piss off at Fichnter and would be 2-1 had we seen this last week and Samuels used as well. Anyways credit to him tonight.

Yes. Samules was a key man. Nice of Randy to figure out when to use him. The OL looked to be bad. DeCastro and company were blocking on the 2nd level. Rudolph had an easy night be he more than held up his end of the margin.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, still piss off at Fichnter and would be 2-1 had we seen this last week and Samuels used as well. Anyways credit to him tonight.

Yes. Samules was a key man. Nice of Randy to figure out when to use him. The OL looked to be bad. DeCastro and company were blocking on the 2nd level. Rudolph had an easy night be he more than held up his end of the margin.

Hawkman
10-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Did anyone else notice that Conner was actually protecting the ball this time instead of leaving it hanging out in the open like usual? I hope he's finally learned his lesson about that.

He may have had a bit of a talking to.

Hawkman
10-01-2019, 08:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That really wasn’t worth a double post, plus it made no sense.:noidea::heh:

GoSlash27
10-01-2019, 08:23 PM
He may have had a bit of a talking to.

I'm sure he did, but he had a talking to last year and it didn't stick. Hell, I was griping about it myself back during the preseason. If I was noticing it, it's for darn sure every DC in the league was noticing it as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2019, 12:35 AM
Defense, for shutting down that prolific offense drawn up by the barista that comes from the McVay coaching tree.