PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Should be In The HOF

Shoes
09-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Mojouw mentioned this in another thread. I agree, nice video here

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81c108fb/Aaron-Smith-Emerging-from-the-shadows

steelreserve
09-28-2019, 11:00 PM
He is one of the best ever to play DE in a 3-4. Amazing how different the defense looked with him in the lineup vs. without. It really sucks that his body just finally wore out in slow motion over the last few years of his career - but then again, not many who play that position make it that long in the first place.

DesertSteel
09-29-2019, 12:17 AM
Mojouw mentioned this in another thread. I agree, nice video here

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81c108fb/Aaron-Smith-Emerging-from-the-shadows
So if you're making his speech before the voters, what are you saying?

Shoes
09-29-2019, 01:52 AM

I'm not a speechwriter but Aaron Smith loved the game of football and his play on the field proved that. The game has changed and so have the players. The HOF seems to have tuned in to a political organization where folks try and influence the committee by voicing and jumping on the bandwagon of their pick hunting down every mic insight. Hard work and love of the game seem to be fading into the sunset and so is football as we knew it.

steelreserve
09-29-2019, 02:34 AM

"Suck my dick, y'all. Especially the women.

(pointing) You, you, you - suck my dick. ALL a y'all.

So listen. This cat wasn't the fattest guy on the planet, like Fridge Perry or nothin', but he always be shovin' around fat guys like it was nobody's business. You'd NEVER wanna be a fat guy if you saw Aaron Smith around, because he'd shove you right on you ass. Didn't matter if you was playin football or not, the dude just loved shovin' fat guys.

You know somethin else that pisses me off? How 'bout these motherfuckers always talkin' bout football being AMERICAN football, and the REAL football is soccer like they play in England. Go get yo ass back to Europe if you like soccer so much, don't bring that weak shit in here. Fuck y'all.

Anyway. The point of this shit is, Aaron Smith was like the lube on the dildo that was the Steelers defense, right before they shoved it up yo ass. My man Troy Polamalu or Lamarr Woodley mighta been the one shovin' the dildo, but Aaron Smith was the lube. I know plenty a people be hatin' on Woodley, and I think he sucks too, but what the fuck you want me to say, James Harrison? Man, FUCK that piece a shit."

I have a feeling this would be one of the greatest speeches of all time.

Six Rings
09-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Smith played in a 3-4 when offenses were run first. He made a lot of tackles ( including behind the line of scrimmage ) for a 3-4 end, and was a better than average pass rusher. Very strong, tough to move. He was highly respected in the locker room. LeBeau at one point called him the best payer on the defense, but the HOF is mainly about numbers and popularity, not about the tough work in the trenches. Smith had but one pro bowl appearance and 44 carer sacks. This isn't enough to catch the attention of 95% of the voters who seldom saw his impact on the game outside of the sack department.

A very good player in my book, just not quite great.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAa99.htm

FrancoLambert
09-29-2019, 07:07 AM
So should L.C. Greenwood.

Butch
09-29-2019, 07:25 AM
So should Donnie Shell

tube517
09-29-2019, 08:15 AM
So should John Kuhn

st33lersguy
09-29-2019, 08:55 AM
There are a lot of Steelers who should be in the hall of fame but are kept out because "Da StEaLeRs HaV tO mEnNy HaLl Of FaMe PlAyUrZ!"

teegre
09-29-2019, 09:48 AM
As I posted elsewhere...

A decade or so ago, when the Chargers had the most talented roster in the NFL, my Chargers buddies (who knew football) would often discuss how much better their team was than the Steelers. They’d go position by position, telling me how much better Charger X was than Steeler Y...

...except, these discussions always started with them saying, “Without debate: let’s go ahead and give the Steelers Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith.”

Yep :nod: they held Aaron Smith in the same high regard as Troy Polamalu.

tube517
09-29-2019, 12:39 PM
As I posted elsewhere...

A decade or so ago, when the Chargers had the most talented roster in the NFL, my Chargers buddies (who knew football) would often discuss how much better their team was than the Steelers. They’d go position by position, telling me how much better Charger X was than Steeler Y...

...except, these discussions always started with them saying, “Without debate: let’s go ahead and give the Steelers Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith.”

Yep :nod: they held Aaron Smith in the same high regard as Troy Polamalu.

Yeah, they interviewed Harbaugh from the Ratbirds and he was gushing about Aaron Smith. He was well respected around the league but never had the gaudy stats (sacks, all pro/pro bowls) to get the recognition (except for SI's all decade team of the 2000s). A quiet warrior.

pczach
09-29-2019, 02:36 PM
The dude was immovable.....unblockable.

Nobody could get anything done against him. That's all everyone needs to know. He was great, and he was dominant for a long period of time.

There are a lot of men wearing gold jackets that didn't dominate anywhere near as often as Aaron Smith did.

teegre
09-30-2019, 06:57 AM
There are a lot of Steelers who should be in the hall of fame but are kept out because "Da StEaLeRs HaV tO mEnNy HaLl Of FaMe PlAyUrZ!"

Unfortunately, this is the truth.

There’s no way that Donnie Shell and LC Greenwood shouldn’t already be in the HOF. As Peter King has flat-out exposed: “The voters feel that there are already ‘too many’ Steelers in the HOF.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2019, 11:10 AM
I think Ted Washington was a slightly more impactful interior D lineman during that era. So if Ted Washington deserves HOF, then Aaron Smith is close.

But, Tube517 is correct that Jon Kuhn should be in by now.

Fire Goodell
09-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Frankenstein for the HoF!

That was my nickname for him since it looked like his pads and helmet were too small for him, making him look like some monster in a weird way lol