PDA

View Full Version : Watch: Two Infuriating Playcalls From Randy Fichtner

Shoes
09-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Our weekly video breakdown. I was going to choose a different topic about the Pittsburgh Steelers’ run game but had to pivot to this topic once I went through the All-22.
We’re looking at OC Randy Fichtner’s two worst play calls in last Sunday’s loss to the San Francisco 49ers. Two plays, same call, both chosen in terrible situations. The play is their fake bubble seam play, a solid concept that’s worked before. But as you’ll see in these clips, the timing he showed Sunday of when to call them couldn’t have been worse.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/09/watch-two-infuriating-playcalls-from-randy-fichtner/

Fire Goodell
09-27-2019, 01:29 PM
only two?

Shoes
09-27-2019, 01:31 PM
only two?

Probably couldn't take more. :lol:

ALLD
09-27-2019, 01:43 PM
I bet he has a 1 hour reel of mediocrity.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2019, 04:26 PM
What Kozora is explaining with regards to the call on down and distance is more of the flow that an OC gets into as the game goes on. Kind of get a feel for the tendencies of the defense and when the DC is bringing blitzes, what plays have worked, what where shut down, etc. Maybe Fichtner going to the same play but on the other side of the field is a thought that maybe the DB's on the left side havent seen it and defended the screen and go, but IMO its showing a lack of feel or understanding of the game flow to throw that same play that didnt work, when the defense is going to be protecting against any deeper throws.

Its not surprising to me, as Fichtner's playcalling last season seemed to lack regard for the flow of the game and become one dimensional early on in games like San Diego and Denver. Maybe its panic, maybe its experience, maybe its stubborness that he likes certain plays and thinks they can work, regardless of the situation, time on the clock or the position on the field.

I was a bit surprised on the play he called a backside run, with 2 linemen pulling to the short side, where Conner fumbled the ball on the 4th qtr. Doesnt seem like the right call with the lead and the football in the 4th quarter.

FrancoLambert
09-27-2019, 05:01 PM
I’ve come to the conclusion that Fichtner and Butler are a couple of football boobs.
Neither is equipped for the job they hold.

Edman
09-27-2019, 05:52 PM
He does what Ben wants him to do.

Those are the very minimal credentials Fichtner has as an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL.

Blue Marvel
09-27-2019, 06:49 PM
I think it's clear Butler and Fitchner will never hold these positions with an NFL team again after they are eventually fired. Fitchner has no clue was hes doing because he's basically stood around and just watched Ben make up his own shit out of Haley and Arians old playbook last couple of years. Dude is nothing more than Bens Glorified Caddy

AtlantaDan
09-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Fichtner explains it was Rudolph's fault :coffee:

It would seem that Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph and offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner are on the same page: Rudolph’s uninspiring first half in his first NFL start was more about his own reluctance than a conservative game plan.

“I don't know if it was conservative,” Fichtner, also the quarterbacks coach, said after practice Friday. “I thought we put ourselves in position, and we had some opportunities for throws, even for some [deep] shots. You know, if you don't connect or throw them, it never really materializes.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/09/27/mason-rudolph-randy-fichtner-steelers-offense-shotgun-mark-barron-devin-bush/stories/201909270167

Better hope Ben comes back to save your job in 2020 if your plan is to throw Rudolph under the bus for any problems with the offense this season

Shoes
09-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Drive-by comment. He sounds like Ben. :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
09-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Fichtner finally gets to blame the QB after being unable to say a discouraging word about his boss

Edman
09-28-2019, 11:37 AM
At least Arians and Haley lasted a few years before Steelers fans got sick of them.

Fichtner wore out his welcome after a season. That has to be a new record.

AtlantaDan
09-28-2019, 12:26 PM
At least Arians and Haley lasted a few years before Steelers fans got sick of them.

Fichtner wore out his welcome after a season. That has to be a new record.

1998 OC Ray Sherman did not even make it to the end of the season before the fans and Cowher were done with him :chuckle:

tube517
09-28-2019, 12:28 PM
1998 OC Ray Sherman did not even make it to the end of the season before the fans and Cowher were done with him :chuckle:

2019 Interim WR coach Ray Sherman may not make it to the middle of this season before fans are done w/him. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2019, 10:52 PM

Get that man a radio show!

pczach
09-29-2019, 08:33 AM
Fichtner finally gets to blame the QB after being unable to say a discouraging word about his boss

Or he's making an honest assessment of his young quarterback knowing that his veteran quarterback would have made the appropriate play......and he's trying to encourage Rudolph to trust what he sees, the plays that are called, and to know the team and his coaches have confidence in him that he can make those throws.

AtlantaDan
09-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Or he's making an honest assessment of his young quarterback knowing that his veteran quarterback would have made the appropriate play......and he's trying to encourage Rudolph to trust what he sees, the plays that are called, and to know the team and his coaches have confidence in him that he can make those throws.

You can be honest in the locker room and film rooms without going public to look like you are covering your own ass for play calling that was pretty much uniformly panned as being too conservative by calling out a QB in his first start

It is not as if Fichtner has a lot of street cred as an OC or team leader to be calling anyone out in public

Maybe just say we all want a better performance by the offense Monday night?