PDA

View Full Version : TRADE (rumor): Dupree to the Eagles

teegre
09-24-2019, 08:04 PM
The rumor is out there that Bud Dupree is bring traded to the Eagles... either for Nelson Agholar or for a R4 pick.

Which would you prefer? Why?

Blue Marvel
09-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Agholar aint bad....and Dupree needs to Go...Dude plays like a free agent pickup....gets handled by a rookie 6th rounder...smh

teegre
09-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Give me the pick. Agholar is meh.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-24-2019, 08:16 PM
Agholar Makes sense and whoever votes keep him. Needs punch in the face and then step on by The Koolaid Dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Throw in Artie Burns for free to seal the deal should have been a pool option as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me the pick. Agholar is meh. He catches 1 out of every 5 passes thrown to him and a huge upgrade over Moncrief.

Method28
09-24-2019, 08:21 PM
3rd round pick just cause they offered Agholar. If we get another WR that drops everything Rudolph is never going to gain any confidence lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

teegre
09-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Throw in Artie Burns for free to seal the deal should have been a pool option as well.

:applaudit:

steelreserve
09-24-2019, 08:25 PM
Either one would be a win IMO. I'd take Agholor if it also pushes Moncrief off the roster, otherwise the draft pick. I guess Agholor is ok I guess, but it's not like we really need another mediocre receiver. Eagles fans don't call him "Fagholor" for no reason.

Bottom line is, Dupree needs to GTFO and I barely care if we get anything at all.

JayC
09-24-2019, 08:29 PM
throw in edmunds, burns, davis and you've got a deal. i don't even want anyone in return. just take them

Method28
09-24-2019, 08:47 PM
throw in edmunds, burns, davis and you've got a deal. i don't even want anyone in return. just take themThrow in a deal that any image or video of Neil O'Donnell must be edited to an Eagles jersey and we got a deal

steelreserve
09-24-2019, 09:01 PM
throw in edmunds, burns, davis and you've got a deal. i don't even want anyone in return. just take them

At first glance I thought you said throw in Edmunds, bums, and Davis - but, same thing.

st33lersguy
09-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Agolor is mediocre. A round 4 pick would be more valuable

09-24-2019, 09:08 PM
throw in edmunds, burns, davis and you've got a deal. i don't even want anyone in return. just take them Sadly Edmunds looks like another horrible 1 pick. Dude looks lost every game and plays chase the catch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2019, 11:45 PM
No, why trade for another experienced WR that drops a lot of passes? So he can wear sweatpants on gameday and stand next to Moncrief??

Could just sign Sammie Coates if they want to see a guy get open and drop passes.

Edman
09-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Sadly Edmunds looks like another horrible 1 pick. Dude looks lost every game and plays chase the catch.

Edmunds is horrible because he is doing what he is coached to do. Tackle the Catch. Except he isn't particularly good at that either.

43Hitman
09-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Wont we get a R3 pick if he walks?

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Agholor is AWFUL!!! You think Moncrief is bad. He only lost the Steelers one game...Agholor has lost the Eagles many games..,he’s a drop machine.

Give me the draft pick...

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:19 AM

I think that’s only a maybe...could be a lower pick no?

AtlantaDan
09-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Agholor would probably be all for this to get away from the Philly fan base, which takes trolling of players it is down on to the next level :sofunny:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-24/nelson-agholor-unlike-hakim-laws-catching-babies-fire

teegre
09-25-2019, 06:44 AM

That depends on the size (dollar amount) of his contract in free agency.

Pass-rushers tend to get paid, but honestly, he might only realistically net is a R5 pick. Maybe.

Steeldude
09-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Take the 4th. There is no reason to have Dupree on the roster. Throw in Burns and Moncrief and perhaps get a 3rd round pick.

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 08:49 AM

Maybe, maybe not. It would also cost us $8M, or $7.5M, or whatever the remainder of the salary we're paying him this year for nothing. Is it worth $8M to go from Round 4 to late Round 3? Probably not.

AtlantaDan
09-25-2019, 09:04 AM
So on the one hand the Steelers are trading a draft pick for a TE who will probably walk at the end of his contract year to help keep the season afloat but are considering trading away a starting OLB with no proven backup at that position?

I am interested if this is based on anything other than a CBS sports online column (from the site that brought us Le'Veon may be traded to the Eagles) speculating on how the Eagles could improve their defense https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/five-players-the-eagles-should-target-to-acquire-before-the-2019-trade-deadline/ .

If this actually is under consideration, this is starting to look like panic rather than any coherent short term let alone long term plan.

Of course if the rumors are true that Colbert is going to be hired for the Carolina GM position by former Steelers minority owner and current Carolina owner David Tepper after this season, Colbert may not be particularly concerned about the long term consequences of any actions taken this season

j-d-s
09-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Give them Moncrief on top of it. Once he's gone we're better just my him not being around, like it was with Antwon Blake.

That reminds me of when the Texans traded Osweiler to Cleveland and gave them a 2nd rounder on top of it just to be free of Osweiler's absurd cap hit.

Rotorhead
09-25-2019, 11:52 AM
I havent seen anything on a Dupree trade?

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Let's assume this is in the realm of true. What would it have to look like for the Steelers to pull the trigger?

1. Colbert and company would have to come up with an estimate of the 2021 comp pick they think they would get from Dupree. Then decide if a 2020 pick is "worth" more to them? Maybe you take a round discount to get it a year early?
2. Are you really ready to start Alphabet Soup Qwerty? Backed up Eliot at the #3? Or what would be the plan there?

That would leave me to believe that for this to happen it would have to be a 3rd or 4th in 2020 and there would have to be another roster move to bolster the OLB position group.

If you are gonna muck around with trading guys that you can't or won't resign to recoup draft picks, just trade Hargrave. There is a 4-3 team out there somewhere that would pay far more of a premium to get a shot at Hargrave for half a season and then resigning him than Dupree.

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 12:33 PM
So on the one hand the Steelers are trading a draft pick for a TE who will probably walk at the end of his contract year to help keep the season afloat but are considering trading away a starting OLB with no proven backup at that position?

When the starter doesnt do anything, it doesn't matter if you trade him. Who cares what name is on the back of the jersey of the OLB who is doing nothing?

If anything, this may be an admission that we were going to let him walk at the end of the year and might as well get something for him. Unless he came out of the gate kicking ass, which he didn't. Another year of big talk, then the same old Bud. I do not think it is ever a bad idea to cut the dead weight, particularly when it is very expensive dead weight.

Hopefully the Vannett thing means we intend to keep him for a few years as the #2 TE with a chance of being the #1 depending on performance, and will quickly sign him to a deal that reflects that. Wonder if it also means we have had enough of McDonald and the constant "maybe" existence that we live in as a result.

Edman
09-25-2019, 12:54 PM
One of the rumors I wish were true. Dupree is just a slightly better Jarvis Jones. Another Defensive project turning out to be nothing. Dupree could’ve been something if he had the right coaching, but the Steelers just don’t have that right now.

st33lersguy
09-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Where was rumor even mentioned? This is the only place I'm hearing about this

tube517
09-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Where was rumor even mentioned? This is the only place I'm hearing about this

I saw it on CBSsports.com but I'm not sure where Teegre saw it.

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 03:01 PM
One of the rumors I wish were true. Dupree is just a slightly better Jarvis Jones. Another Defensive project turning out to be nothing. Dupree could’ve been something if he had the right coaching, but the Steelers just don’t have that right now.

I hear this kinda thing all the time. And no one seems to ever follow up with what they mean. So what coaching would've fixed a guy with no pass rush plan, poor hand usage, and little bend to turn the corner?

We can assume that no coach has worked with Dupree on any of these. OR. OR. we can assume that the staff has worked with Dupree on these and he isn't any good at them. Hence the switching sides, shifting his role within the defense, etc. etc. If nothing else, the increased usage of Dupree on stunts and blitzes to the inside of the DE demonstrate that the coaching staff is trying to play to what strengths Dupree does have.

86WARD
09-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Let's assume this is in the realm of true. What would it have to look like for the Steelers to pull the trigger?

1. Colbert and company would have to come up with an estimate of the 2021 comp pick they think they would get from Dupree. Then decide if a 2020 pick is "worth" more to them? Maybe you take a round discount to get it a year early?
2. Are you really ready to start Alphabet Soup Qwerty? Backed up Eliot at the #3? Or what would be the plan there?

That would leave me to believe that for this to happen it would have to be a 3rd or 4th in 2020 and there would have to be another roster move to bolster the OLB position group.

If you are gonna muck around with trading guys that you can't or won't resign to recoup draft picks, just trade Hargrave. There is a 4-3 team out there somewhere that would pay far more of a premium to get a shot at Hargrave for half a season and then resigning him than Dupree.

I think it’s totally made up story, why would Philadelphia give up a 4th-Round Pick for a guy who wants to test the free agent market and with their WR situation, why are they giving up a guy that is veteran in that offense? To start Hollins and JJ A-W? Don’t think so...so unless Moncrief were in the deal, I doubt it’s true. Jeffrey isn’t dependable at all and Jackson is still a couple/few weeks away.

However, to play along:

1. Don’t think it’s that hard to estimate the compensation. I’m sure these guys have algorithms, formulas, metrics, blah, blah, blah to figure these things out.

2. From watching Ola play Sunday, the plays I saw, he wasn’t bad. He was doing the same, if not more than what Dupree was doing as far as getting in the backfield...but then I wasn’t focused on him all game so maybe I’m wrong. At this stage, I wouldn’t have a problem playing him over Dupree...not at all.

As for Hargrave, the reason they don’t trade him...maybe they have the feeling that they want him a part of the future teams and feel he may be an easy contract negotiation? Meaning, reasonable price and not much hassle back and forth?

cubanstogie
09-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Dupree’s strengths are losing containment, and running past QB at full speed just missing sack. A pop warner coach could help him out, I don’t know if Belichick could get production out of him.

Squeegee Thompson
09-25-2019, 03:16 PM
What 2020 pick do we have to give up in order to make this happen?

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 03:17 PM
I hear this kinda thing all the time. And no one seems to ever follow up with what they mean. So what coaching would've fixed a guy with no pass rush plan, poor hand usage, and little bend to turn the corner?

We can assume that no coach has worked with Dupree on any of these. OR. OR. we can assume that the staff has worked with Dupree on these and he isn't any good at them. Hence the switching sides, shifting his role within the defense, etc. etc. If nothing else, the increased usage of Dupree on stunts and blitzes to the inside of the DE demonstrate that the coaching staff is trying to play to what strengths Dupree does have.

Well, in the first case it was a conditionally bad draft pick (the condition being that it would only work if we had better coaching) ... in the second case, it was just a bad draft pick.

The more I see of guys like Dupree, Davis, Burns, and possibly Edmunds, the more I am reminded of a an NBA team that drafts players just because they are tall - which may make you a decent power forward in college, but you are going to get skunked in the pros unless you can actually play some basketball.

86WARD
09-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Well, in the first case it was a conditionally bad draft pick (the condition being that it would only work if we had better coaching) ... in the second case, it was just a bad draft pick.

The more I see of guys like Dupree, Davis, Burns, and possibly Edmunds, the more I am reminded of a an NBA team that drafts players just because they are tall - which may make you a decent power forward in college, but you are going to get skunked in the pros unless you can actually play some basketball.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/306815fc7e71ddb7e4a744dc8d951bb6.jpg

tube517
09-25-2019, 03:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190925/306815fc7e71ddb7e4a744dc8d951bb6.jpg

Ugh. I"m a Sixers fan. Please don't remind me. :lol:

86WARD
09-25-2019, 03:43 PM
:lol:

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 03:48 PM
:lol:

I was a Warriors fan in tbe '90s. Shawn Bradley was a sunny day on the beach compared to the likes of Les Jepsen and Uwe Blab. I guess they did at least have Manute Bol, though.

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Might be true. But that's a scouting and projection issue. And sidesteps the main idea that there is some magic coaching wand that teams can wave over players and make them meet expectations.

43Hitman
09-25-2019, 04:17 PM
I think that’s only a maybe...could be a lower pick no?

That depends on the size (dollar amount) of his contract in free agency.

Pass-rushers tend to get paid, but honestly, he might only realistically net is a R5 pick. Maybe.

Maybe, maybe not. It would also cost us $8M, or $7.5M, or whatever the remainder of the salary we're paying him this year for nothing. Is it worth $8M to go from Round 4 to late Round 3? Probably not.

Oh okay, thanks. I forgot about the size of his next contract effecting the net pick.

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Might be true. But that's a scouting and projection issue. And sidesteps the main idea that there is some magic coaching wand that teams can wave over players and make them meet expectations.

Somewhere along the way from identifying likely prospects, to turning them into a cohesive unit of pro players, we are repeatedly misfiring way off into the trees, whichever way you look at it. No matter where in the process we are off, the result is still the same. Ultimately, the GM is in charge of that, and the head coach ought to be heavily involved in many aspects of it also, unless something is badly wrong. So whether it's the position coaches or the scouts who are doing a worse job than a masturbating clown, the fact that it has been going on for so long now has made me lose a lot of faith in those two individuals.

teegre
09-26-2019, 06:53 AM
I saw it on CBSsports.com but I'm not sure where Teegre saw it.

Sal Pal mentioned it (on his radio show in Philly). I also received an email from a friend, and I saw it on Twitter.

SUMMATION:
Even if it’s not totally true, since bashing Bud Dupree seems to be a favorite hobby for Steelers fans, I figured: “Eh... why not.” (At worst, it’s an interesting hypothetical to discuss.)

Born2Steel
09-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Sal Pal mentioned it (on his radio show in Philly). I also received an email from a friend, and I saw it on Twitter.

SUMMATION:
Even if it’s not totally true, since bashing Bud Dupree seems to be a favorite hobby for Steelers fans, I figured: “Eh... why not.” (At worst, it’s an interesting hypothetical to discuss.)

Since Bud most likely rides off into the sunset at the end of this season anyway I would have no problem shopping a trade. Because of the value his position brings I would want a player and a pick though. So with your hypothetical I would want Agholar and a 4th. I like trying to trade with the Bears Dupree for Fuller and a 4th.

DesertSteel
09-26-2019, 08:29 AM
So with your hypothetical I would want Agholar and a 4th. I like trying to trade with the Bears Dupree for Fuller and a 4th.

I’d trade Dupree to the Bears for Mack and a 4th.

tube517
09-26-2019, 09:09 AM

SUMMATION:

Is your friend's first name "Howie"?

09-26-2019, 09:11 AM

SUMMATION:
Even if it’s not totally true, since bashing Bud Dupree seems to be a favorite hobby for Steelers fans, I figured: “Eh... why not.” (At worst, it’s an interesting hypothetical to discuss.) Haha and played along and knew it was bs. There never will be a team interested trading for Bud and what he brings to the table.

Squeegee Thompson
09-26-2019, 09:34 AM
I’d trade Dupree to the Bears for Mack and a 4th.

And don't forget to throw in the massive bag of weed that it'd take to get Chicago to think that this would be a good trade for them.

steelreserve
09-26-2019, 10:06 AM
And don't forget to throw in the massive bag of weed that it'd take to get Chicago to think that this would be a good trade for them.

You think smoking weed would be enough to make them think it was a good trade? Crack is more like it.

Method28
09-29-2019, 01:18 AM
If Rudolph doesn't show a lot more over the next few weeks I'd be shopping some of these contracts for 2021 picks. A 3rd rounder in 20 for a 2nd in 21? [emoji51]