PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trade for Nick Vannett from Seattle

Dwinsgames
09-24-2019, 07:49 PM

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 07:54 PM

- - - Updated - - -

3rd round pick in 2016, played college at Ohio State. More of a in-line blocking TE than receiver.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 07:59 PM
This tells me Vance will be out for a while.

Vannett is in the last year of his rookie deal, so it will be interesting to see what they gave up.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Sh!t there goes our 2 pick next draft.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 08:04 PM

- - - Updated - - -

teegre
09-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Sh!t there goes our 2 pick next draft.

Seriously???
I hope that you are joking.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 08:19 PM

- - - Updated - - -

So the 2020 draft picks.

2nd
3rd? (comp)
4th
4th
6th
7th

09-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Seriously???
I hope that you are joking. I was and hope the pick ain't anywhere near that. Never know anymore and they are going out of character this season so far.

- - - Updated - - -

2020 5th. Yuck.

- - - Updated - - -

So the 2020 draft picks. Dobbs pick or Steelers ?

2nd
3rd? (comp)
4th
4th
6th
7th Dobbs pick or Steelers ?

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 08:23 PM
I was and hope the pick ain't anywhere near that. Never know anymore and they are going out of character this season so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Dobbs pick or Steelers ?

Steelers. Believe the Dobbs pick went to Miami for the swap for a 4th.

teegre
09-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Dobbs pick or Steelers ?

That’s what I was wondering, too.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 08:26 PM
That’s what I was wondering, too.

We have yet been told if the 4th we got in a pick swap(the Fitzpatrick trade) is Miami's or Tennessee's. So doubt we'll know until a later date.

JayC
09-24-2019, 08:32 PM
championship! picking up TE from trade seems stupid when they had all off season to get a real backup.

09-24-2019, 08:36 PM
championship! picking up TE from trade seems stupid when they had all off season to get a real backup.Shows how much faith they have in Lurch they just drafted.

SteeleReign
09-24-2019, 08:40 PM
3 TEs on the practice squad, Grimble, Gentry, a trade for a blocking TE, and supposedly, McDonald's injury isn't considered long-term....???

WTF are the Steelers doing?

I guess we're only a TE away from a championship?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
09-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Steelers traded a 5th for 7th round production

steelreserve
09-24-2019, 09:06 PM
3 TEs on the practice squad, Grimble, Gentry, a trade for a blocking TE, and supposedly, McDonald's injury isn't considered long-term....???

WTF are the Steelers doing?

I guess we're only a TE away from a championship?

I think we are officially button mashing at this point, unless on the other hand, we have officially entered teardown/rebuild mode in preparation for the 2020 season.

st33lersguy
09-24-2019, 09:10 PM
I think we are officially button mashing at this point, unless on the other hand, we have officially entered teardown/rebuild mode in preparation for the 2020 season.

Will be very hard to rebuild without draft picks though

steelreserve
09-24-2019, 09:23 PM
Will be very hard to rebuild without draft picks though

If you can get actual NFL players for your draft picks, you can. I don't know how well Vannett is doing, but it doesn't sound like terrible. I liked him coming out of college, for whatever that's worth. But what the hell, if there's a 60-40 chance that pick would've been a bust anyway, we didn't do badly.

st33lersguy
09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
If you can get actual NFL players for your draft picks, you can. I don't know how well Vannett is doing, but it doesn't sound like terrible. I liked him coming out of college, for whatever that's worth. But what the hell, if there's a 60-40 chance that pick would've been a bust anyway, we didn't do badly.

A guy averaging less than 16 receptions, a little over 150 yards and barely over 1 TD a season, I wouldn't all that a solid return

tube517
09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Vannett is a free agent after this year.

Shoes
09-24-2019, 09:39 PM
:rant:Well, we could have had George Kittle but took Dobbs instead. Back to the dumpster!

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 10:23 PM
:rant:Well, we could have had George Kittle but took Dobbs instead. Back to the dumpster!

If you could list the amount of players the Steelers missed/passed on we would be here all day. The 49ers drafted 5 players before they selected Kittle, goes to show how unpredictable the draft is.

Shoes
09-24-2019, 10:36 PM
If you could list the amount of players the Steelers missed/passed on we would be here all day. The 49ers drafted 5 players before they selected Kittle, goes to show how unpredictable the draft is.

He would have been a steeler if I had a choice.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 10:38 PM
He would have been a steeler if I had a choice.

Oh me too. I liked Kittle coming out of Iowa also. But even I didn't expect him to be this good as he is now.

Shoes
09-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Well, he's better than any TE on the present roster, whatever that's worth.

BlackAndGold
09-24-2019, 11:20 PM
I'll just say I hope they retain him after the season. I'm not much of a fan of trading a pick for someone who is a rental, which Vannett is since he'll be a free agent after the season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2019, 11:39 PM
That would be a good signing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2019, 11:42 PM
I like the pickup of Vannett. He instantly becomes the Steelers #1 TE with McDonald hurt again in his career. Vannett is really a #2 TE, but is an upgrade over Grimble.

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 12:38 AM
I'll just say I hope they retain him after the season. I'm not much of a fan of trading a pick for someone who is a rental, which Vannett is since he'll be a free agent after the season.

If they're smart, they'll try to extend him to a backup-level deal now with incentives if he becomes the starter, instead of letting him hit the free agent market and leave, which I agree would be stupid.

Basically just give him Grimble's money for next year and then plan on letting go of that clown instead.

Fire Goodell
09-25-2019, 12:40 AM
Superbowl!

tube517
09-25-2019, 05:30 AM
All these moves and I already forgot the name of the TE they just picked up for the practice squad.

pczach
09-25-2019, 05:38 AM
That would be a good signing.

They can use all the in-line blocking they could get right now.

Steeldude
09-25-2019, 05:39 AM

Yep. That's who I wanted the Steelers to pick.

teegre
09-25-2019, 07:00 AM

This reminds me of when an interviewer asked Mike Shannahan how he knew to wait until R5 to draft Terrell Davis. Shannahan replied such:

“Knew!?!... I didn’t know. Had I known Terrell would have been this good, I would have drafted him in the first round.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-25-2019, 09:40 AM
All these moves and I already forgot the name of the TE they just picked up for the practice squad.

Alize Mack, who IMO is really a guy with similar skills as Grimble, but had some problems with dropping the football in college.

- - - Updated - - -

They can use all the in-line blocking they could get right now.

Yeah, I don't think he is as good of a blocker as McDonald, but is definitely an upgrade from Grimble. Vannett is a good all around #2 TE IMO. posted some good short shuttle numbers in combine and a 4.85, so a decent athlete in the passing game.

tube517
09-25-2019, 10:05 AM
So who gets cut to make room for Vannett?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Maybe McDonald is headed for IR (or the glass recycling depot) or maybe its Gentry who is inactive on gamedays?

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 11:18 AM
The clip at the top of this article I think I why they traded for him: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/9/25/20883209/steelers-film-room-what-kind-of-player-did-the-steelers-get-in-te-nick-vannett-breakdown-analysis

"Vannett, on the other hand, is built for the job. Listed at 6’6-260, he has the strength both Grimble and Gentry lack. He was an important blocking cog in Urban Meyer’s power-spread attack at Ohio State and helped pave the way for a monster season from Ezekiel Elliot during the Buckeyes 2014 run to the national championship."

So he can block for runs out the spread. Something Grimble and Gentry struggle with. Also, assuming McDonald ever returns, they are going to want to run alot of 2TE to help the young QB. Something they were going to do rarely with Ben R at the controls.

Thought Gentry was a wasted pick when they made it. This kinda cinches that. Although, TEs often have the longest draft to impact period in the NFL.

86WARD
09-25-2019, 11:18 AM

Could be McDonald or Grimble. Could be a lot of different people. Could be an OLB move...

GoSlash27
09-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Umm... Boone's Farm Kenworth, or something like that...

tube517
09-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Could be McDonald or Grimble. Could be a lot of different people. Could be an OLB move...

We'll find out around 4 pm

Squeegee Thompson
09-25-2019, 12:08 PM
The Seahawks only had Will "just-run-right-down-the-seam-and-the-Steelers-will-forget-to-cover-you" Dissly and Nick Vannett on their roster with a couple of others on IR. Trading Vannett leaves them with only one TE on their active roster.

Granted, giving up a 5th isn't huge draft capital to lose, but why would the Seahawks be willing to trade away one of only two of their remaining tight ends? The answer seems simple: He's a worthless pile of crap that they have no problem unloading.

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 12:36 PM

If we are actually trading Bud Dupree for a draft pick, then that takea care of that.

Otherwise I'd guess Moncrief or Switzer.

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 12:59 PM
If we are actually trading Bud Dupree for a draft pick, then that takea care of that.

Otherwise I'd guess Moncrief or Switzer.

Please be Switzer. Please. Switzer at his best is a fun NFL player to root for but is ultimately useless. Moncrief at his best, as bad as it might be, is a fairly useful NFL player.

AtlantaDan
09-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Please be Switzer. Please. Switzer at his best is a fun NFL player to root for but is ultimately useless. Moncrief at his best, as bad as it might be, is a fairly useful NFL player.

Switzer lost his protector when Ben went on IR - I think he is the sacrifice rather than cutting a free agent signing after week 3

steelreserve
09-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Got to agree with you there. While it is at least plausible that Moncrief just had a couple of especially bad games, Switzer's problems are more about his skill ceiling. He is a receiver who can't really get open, and that just doesn't work.

86WARD
09-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Got to agree with you there. While it is at least plausible that Moncrief just had a couple of especially bad games, Switzer's problems are more about his skill ceiling. He is a receiver who can't really get open, and that just doesn't work.

He was one of the only ones to get open in Game One...lol.

09-25-2019, 04:38 PM
He was one of the only ones to get open in Game One...lol. Who cares if he gets open on every play and still worthless if he can't catch.

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Can we cut Switzer now? And sign Eli Rogers or maybe this big fast moron? https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51721/gary-jennings

09-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Can we cut Switzer now? And sign Eli Rogers or maybe this big fast moron? https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51721/gary-jennings Might as well throw so more shit to the wall and some is bound to stick. What we have now is not working.

st33lersguy
09-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Of course now they have only 6 draft picks (including the comp pick), 1 or 2 of which will be in the top 100. For a team looking like it needs improvements in numerous places, that's not good. Not sure a guy who averages slightly under 1 reception a game in his career is someone you want to trade a pick for

09-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Of course now they have only 6 draft picks (including the comp pick), 1 or 2 of which will be in the top 100. For a team looking like it needs improvements in numerous places, that's not good. Not sure a guy who averages slightly under 1 reception a game in his career is someone you want to trade a pick for They believe they can coach him up lol.

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 05:32 PM
The 2020 Draft Class is shaping up to be:

1. MFF
2. TBD
3. Bell Comp Pick
4. TBD
4. From Dolphins
5. Maybe a resigned Vannett?
6. TBD
7. TBD

So the turned a bunch of guys they didn't want on the roster (Dobbs, Hawkins, and Gilbert) into some 5-7 round picks and then flipped those into:

A high end FS on a rookie deal.
A #2 TE that they wanted to draft before (who knows if he resigns...)
4th round pick.
Plus some of those lower round picks helped the Devin Bush trade happen.

Explain to me how this is a bad thing?

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Who cares if he gets open on every play and still worthless if he can't catch.

He was the only receiver to catch 100% of his targets and had one less target than JuJu.

FrancoLambert
09-25-2019, 06:10 PM
The 2020 Draft Class is shaping up to be:

1. MFF
2. TBD
3. Bell Comp Pick
4. TBD
4. From Dolphins
5. Maybe a resigned Vannett?
6. TBD
7. TBD

So the turned a bunch of guys they didn't want on the roster (Dobbs, Hawkins, and Gilbert) into some 5-7 round picks and then flipped those into:

A high end FS on a rookie deal.
A #2 TE that they wanted to draft before (who knows if he resigns...)
4th round pick.
Plus some of those lower round picks helped the Devin Bush trade happen.

Explain to me how this is a bad thing?

It may not be a bad thing. Time will tell.
What’s concerning is for a team that you would consider to be in a rebuilding stretch (us IMO), the picks you listed are meh in value.
Now, add what our top picks have contributed in the last few years. Not a helluva lot.
Still waiting for Burns, Dupree, and Edmunds to justify their high picks.

Fire Goodell
09-25-2019, 06:15 PM
What’s concerning is for a team that you would consider to be in a rebuilding stretch (us IMO), the picks you listed are meh in value.
Now, add what our top picks have contributed in the last few years. Not a helluva lot.

Yeah since the Jarvis Jones pick we've had around a 50% bust rate in the 1st round

Mojouw
09-25-2019, 06:26 PM

I don't get the "meh" value?

They got a top 10 pick in MFF. They flipped 5-7 round picks into an extra 4 and a blocking TE. So out the door are one high draft pick and a slew of low round draft picks and in the door are NFL players (Bush, MFF, Vannett).

I don't know. If I told you that you could have a 2020 draft that was a top 3 rated FS, the 3rd rated TE (which is what Vannett was when he came out)prospect, and an extra 4th round pick for a 3rd and a 5th -- would you take it? Or you could stand pat and have an extra 7th and 5th rounder.

09-25-2019, 06:31 PM
He was the only receiver to catch 100% of his targets and had one less target than JuJu. He did ? So when he is not targeted he is human garbage ?

86WARD
09-25-2019, 06:46 PM
He did ? So when he is not targeted he is human garbage ?

He was 6/6 and JuJu was 6/8 (sorry, two less targets than JuJu). I don’t think he’s gotten much action since then. Point is, he’s not flashy but he got open and could catch. I’m not saying he’s anything more than the 5-6 receiver on the team, but you can’t criticize his ability to get open and catch the ball. He’s far less talented than Johnson, Washington, JuJu, but he’s not the worst receiver to have around.

09-25-2019, 07:13 PM
He was 6/6 and JuJu was 6/8 (sorry, two less targets than JuJu). I don’t think he’s gotten much action since then. Point is, he’s not flashy but he got open and could catch. I’m not saying he’s anything more than the 5-6 receiver on the team, but you can’t criticize his ability to get open and catch the ball. He’s far less talented than Johnson, Washington, JuJu, but he’s not the worst receiver to have around. My bad and got confused and thought you was talking about Moncrief.

teegre
09-26-2019, 06:48 AM
The Seahawks only had Will "just-run-right-down-the-seam-and-the-Steelers-will-forget-to-cover-you" Dissly and Nick Vannett on their roster with a couple of others on IR. Trading Vannett leaves them with only one TE on their active roster.

Granted, giving up a 5th isn't huge draft capital to lose, but why would the Seahawks be willing to trade away one of only two of their remaining tight ends? The answer seems simple: He's a worthless pile of crap that they have no problem unloading.

Pete Carroll does things his own way. Take for instance, after the final preseason game, he cut all of the backup QBs. For a few days, he carried only Russell Wilson. Sure, he re-signed Geno Smith, but...

Born2Steel
09-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Vannett may not even be back. He may just be a solid stop-gap while Gentry and Alize get a year in. I have no idea just a thought. Then again Vannett may excel here and be a perfect compliment on this team. I’m willing to give it all time to resolve before passing judgement.

FrancoLambert
09-26-2019, 07:54 AM

They got a top 10 pick in MFF. They flipped 5-7 round picks into an extra 4 and a blocking TE. So out the door are one high draft pick and a slew of low round draft picks and in the door are NFL players (Bush, MFF, Vannett).

I don't know. If I told you that you could have a 2020 draft that was a top 3 rated FS, the 3rd rated TE (which is what Vannett was when he came out)prospect, and an extra 4th round pick for a 3rd and a 5th -- would you take it? Or you could stand pat and have an extra 7th and 5th rounder.

I’m guilty of projecting the “meh” value.
On paper it looks OK.
On paper we get the first round contributions of Burns, Dupree, Edmunds, and Jones.
That’s “meh” to me.

Fire Goodell
09-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Alize Mack has to be the most gangster name I've heard in a while

pczach
09-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Alize Mack has to be the most gangster name I've heard in a while

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JJvDhbnoSU9e2hW/giphy.gif

86WARD
09-26-2019, 03:54 PM
Vannett said he trained with Rudolph for 2-3 months this past offseason.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Vannett said he trained with Rudolph for 2-3 months this past offseason. But Ben never helped them.

Shoes
09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
After watching Vannett I think he may prove to be an overall upgrade over McDonald.

st33lersguy
09-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Varnett may have been the 3rd rated TE in 2016, but in 2019, he is a guy averaging 16 catches and a little over 1 TD a season. Artie Burns was a first round pick in spring 2016 and at worst rated a 3rd round prospect, now teams would be stupid to offer a 7th rounder to take him

DesertSteel
09-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Sometimes players flourish in new scenery in different offenses. With the opportunity that Vannett has, I hope he makes the most of it.

tube517
09-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Let's hope his workouts in the offseason w/Rudolph pays some dividends.

Fire Goodell
09-27-2019, 12:47 PM
He's gonna go for over 800 yards, then we won't be able to afford to pay him. Then he signs with NE